Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Main Paineframe posted:

if a permission is benign, why does the app even need to ask for it

if a permission is "usually malicious", apps should probably be banned from even asking for it

expecting normal users to janitor their app permissions is never going to not suck

google has gotten slightly better about this over the years but yes, they are still extremely bad about it. one example: apps are able to download updated files into a sandboxed area of the filesystem that belongs only to this app, but apps routinely lie to users that "oh we actually need full read/write access to you entire user data partition, it's totally required our app can't work without it" and i don't think i've ever heard of google yanking the apps from some chinese waifu game because the in-app permission explanation was kind of dishonest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
seems unfair imo, if facebook is paying a 13 year old 20 bucks a month they're clearly an employee and therefore sideloading this dodgy app to monitor their employee's usage is good and cool

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Imagine being so poo poo that you've given apple the high ground

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

wyoak posted:

seems unfair imo, if facebook is paying a 13 year old 20 bucks a month they're clearly an employee and therefore sideloading this dodgy app to monitor their employee's usage is good and cool

clearly they're independent contractors

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i actually signed up for this dumb program at one point. i got a postcard addressed to "resident" at my house a few months ago from google saying "let us track what you watch on TV, earn hundreds of dollars!" and i said oh ok. i signed up for it and they sent me a big box of stuff. one thing in there was a little chrome/android type tablet thing that works like a nielsen meter, you turn it on and it listens for the audio fingerprints in tv shows. i thought oh ok, cool, so i set that up and turned it on when i watched tv. the other main thing in the box was a wireless router. i was like uh yeah not gonna install this piece of poo poo

apparently the router is the main thing they want you to install though, to get that sweet sweet analytics of everything that every device on your network is doing. i kept getting emails and calls (yes, actual phone calls) where they were offering to "assist" me setting up the router. i eventually emailed back saying that i couldn't install it because it wouldn't work with my network setup. i got a reply right away saying that i was no longer part of the program please send the equipment back lol

you actually can earn hundreds of dollars a year if you install the spyware router and all their spyware apps/browser plugins. i still got to keep the $25 they sent me when i signed up tho and i made google waste a bunch of money shipping equipment around

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 30, 2019

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Well they have an android version of their VPN app so how does that one work?

You don't need to mitm TLS to do the kinds of "competitive intelligence" (gently caress that phrase) they at least used to be doing, you use things like unencrypted DNS and SNI. Hell you can even use packet sizes and timings to get a good guess.

As far as them losing all their internal apps due to this: "play stupid games win stupid prizes"

Lutha Mahtin posted:

google has gotten slightly better about this over the years but yes, they are still extremely bad about it. one example: apps are able to download updated files into a sandboxed area of the filesystem that belongs only to this app, but apps routinely lie to users that "oh we actually need full read/write access to you entire user data partition, it's totally required our app can't work without it" and i don't think i've ever heard of google yanking the apps from some chinese waifu game because the in-app permission explanation was kind of dishones
There is little correlation to what you read online about what's happening with security and reality.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

alex "the media is so mean to facebook" stamos has been awful quiet since the facebook vpn story broke :thunk:

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

apseudonym posted:

You don't need to mitm TLS to do the kinds of "competitive intelligence" (gently caress that phrase) they at least used to be doing, you use things like unencrypted DNS and SNI. Hell you can even use packet sizes and timings to get a good guess.

As far as them losing all their internal apps due to this: "play stupid games win stupid prizes"

There is little correlation to what you read online about what's happening with security and reality.

I didn't know the difference between "competitive intelligence" and "economic espionage" so I went to wiki.

quote:

The difference between competitive intelligence and economic or industrial espionage is not clear; one needs to understand the legal basics to recognize how to draw the line between the two. It is sometimes quite difficult to tell the difference between legal and illegal methods, especially if considering the ethical side of information-gathering, making definitions even more elusive.

Welp.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cocoa Crispies posted:

ok subjunctive but have you considered that maybe companies shouldn't make monitoring the user experience of teenagers their business

I'm not sure if you are "hip" to how the modern web currently works, but you are the product. Now if you think that shouldn't be the case, I agree with you, but you are like 20 years too late to the party now.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

CmdrRiker posted:

I didn't know the difference between "competitive intelligence" and "economic espionage" so I went to wiki.

Welp.

Competitive intelligence is supposed to sound less bad than economic espionage, or something

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

electronics doodad company seeed studio just sent me an email asking why I abandoned my cart the other day (it's because it kept having 503 errors) and if it had anything to do with their new website having bugs, and were nice enough to include a list of a few hundred other people they sent the same email to in the CC field :allears:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

apseudonym posted:

Competitive intelligence is supposed to sound less bad than economic espionage, or something

it's just one of those irregular verbs - we do competitive intelligence, you do economic espionage, their cfo just got arrested in canada.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lmaooo

'https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jan/31/apple-facebook-campus-permissions-revoked-teens-access-data-iphone-app' posted:

Apple has left Facebook’s campus in disarray after the company revoked the social network’s permission to build or run employee-only applications, according to reports. Employees were reportedly left unable to read cafeteria menus, call for inter-office transport or use versions of the social network’s own apps.

The revocation didn’t just hit the Facebook Research app. Every app the company built using its EDC was rendered inoperable, with users reportedly unable to even open the programs from their home screens.

:yosnice:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol remember when the web was going to be the future of applications?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress yeah lovely proprietary platforms loving each other is the best schadenfreude

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

how are you supposed to use the contact part of the smart card with that poo poo on it lol
There's a captive slider usually.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Truga posted:

gently caress yeah lovely proprietary platforms loving each other is the best schadenfreude

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

this nourishes me

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

every time i see that emoticon i enjoy the contrast from the amber

amberpos and greenpos: maybe the truth is in mixing the colors

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Shaggar posted:

The full Safari engine is inside of iPhone. And so, you can write amazing Web 2.0 and Ajax apps that look exactly and behave exactly like apps on the iPhone. And these apps can integrate perfectly with iPhone services. They can make a call, they can send an email, they can look up a location on Google Maps.

And guess what? There’s no SDK that you need! You’ve got everything you need if you know how to write apps using the most modern web standards to write amazing apps for the iPhone today. So developers, we think we’ve got a very sweet story for you. You can begin building your iPhone apps today.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/mbzvxv/criminals-hackers-ss7-uk-banks-metro-bank ah, the highly theoretical attack strikes back

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/31/18205795/apple-google-blocked-internal-ios-apps-developer-certificate hahaha

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

would u like to elaborate, im trying to find one thats actually good to consult on a v large project

i could, the problem is it’s extremely local. i know the folks personally at some level in the orgs i work with and they haven’t failed to deliver

so

unless you’re in literally my city or country (NL) I’m not much of a help

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yessss

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

hahahahah as if Facebook weren't already on everyone in SV's poo poo list for bringing worldwide regulatory scrutiny to ads, privacy, and how they enable the spread of propaganda, now they are going to get everyone's iOS enterprise certificates revoked because while everyone was abusing them Facebook did it in such a blatant way that Apple had to respond.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

shamelessly stolen from macrumors

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

it’s just a shift of approach and I think the big so-many SVs don’t care and just adapt. nothing matters until it affects the bottom
line, which security and privacy simply don’t do

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Never fear, Facebook private bus and meal ordering apps work again!

https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1091103868463636481

I'm a bit interested in whether they "unrevoked" it like this sounds or just issued a new one, because I guess you could do the former by disappearing the revocation from everywhere that matters but ...

Nah, they must be using a new one.

James Baud fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 1, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"certification" is not "certificate". Sounds like they pinky-promised not to misuse the enterprise program and apple gave them a new cert.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
yeah they just revoked the existing one and reissued a new one in google's case. sounds like after letting fb stew for a day they did the same.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

my bitter bi rival posted:

alex "the media is so mean to facebook" stamos has been awful quiet since the facebook vpn story broke :thunk:

https://twitter.com/alexstamos/status/1091099413366403072
Ah,

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

He's not wrong that people ignore Apple's flaws, FB still bad tho

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

let me know when Facebook starts using differential privacy like Apple

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
you explicitly opt in to that when you set up the phone, it’s clear about the information that’s sent, and (most importantly) we have no reason to lie about it because we don’t make money by selling you ads

well unless it’s an amazing offer of free music from u2

but yeah it’s totally equivalent to facebook’s $20 total system spyware or the $10 discount you get for the kindle kids edition with special offers

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
yeah i wouldn't say apple is perfect, but don't create this false equivalency with two companies whose entire revenue streams are based on collecting and monetizing as much personal info as they can glean from you

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Plank Walker posted:

yeah i wouldn't say apple is perfect

Yeah! For instance, why the hell does this not work as documented:

quote:

$ /bin/sh -c 'echo -e "Hello\n\tWorld"'
-e Hello
World
$ /bin/bash -c 'echo -e "Hello\n\tWorld"'
Hello
World
$ /bin/bash --posix -c 'echo -e "Hello\n\tWorld"'
Hello
World

Like, isn't that poo poo supposed to be hardlinked or something? And I can't remember which recent version of OS X it was, but the bash executable was actually smaller than the sh executable despite them being the same version. Seems fixed now. I'm trying to make a joke but I hosed up by allowing the tone of this post to be colored by my disdain for all of this Facebook fuckery.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Plank Walker posted:

yeah i wouldn't say apple is perfect, but don't create this false equivalency with two companies whose entire revenue streams are based on collecting and monetizing as much personal info as they can glean from you

Never said they were the same? It takes a lot of effort to live up to Facebooks current behavior

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Wait, is alex "boot licker" Stamos trying to make an equivalence between facebook, a company riddled with scandal after scandal all 2018 and not even a month in to 2019, and Apple. By showing a clear and explanation about what the toggles do?

I thought he quit cause of ethics issues. I guess not, I wonder what dope package he got to join Stanford, maybe his stock vested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

yep that seemed to come true and tbh it’s achieved a much higher cross platform adoption rate then literally any other gui library