Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Jedit posted:

That'll be Reiner Knizia's game. It's bad enough that I will give my copy to a UK goon if they pay shipping, just to get it out of my house.

Come on dude, there are charity shops around. They can make like... 2 quid off it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I think I have that game too. I bought it used because I liked the art, and hey it’s a Knizia game right? My wife and I played and it was the most boring slog I have ever played. Not even kids would enjoy that game.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Redundant posted:

My planned game of Kemet got ruined by the weather so instead I will do a more general write up of the games I have played this month.

Has anyone played the Seth expansion yet? The 1 vs all mode looks interesting, but it also looks like the expansion can't be played in normal Kemet FFA mode. I'm torn on whether or not to buy it since getting a 1 vs all game to the table is much tougher, and I've read that it adds a fair amount of rules confusion that the rule book doesn't address.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Redundant posted:

Azul - Since it was the best selling game of the year I don't think there's much I can say that hasn't been said before, but it's one of the few games that my non-hobbyist friends and family have finished playing and immediately asked to play again. I think this is mostly because it's really easy to start playing and be fairly productive just filling lines but it is also pretty clear how you could have improved your score. It also doesn't hurt that the game looks really nice, rummaging through the bag is weirdly fun and each decision is quick but feels vital.

Yeah, agreed on all counts after playing a couple rounds. I don't know if I can get my family to play it but it seems like a really interesting game for a wide range of players.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Azul was such a smash hit at Christmas. I have played it a dozen times throughout the year but that game hit the table 3 times a night for like a week solid, with a rotating cast of my family playing it.

I like that I get to go first every time according to the rulebook. While on vacation last year we drove for a weekend out of Spain into Portugal and back. I was sitting further back in the car, which means I left Portugal last and was thus the person in the group to visit Portugal most recently :v:

I am also ridiculously excited for FFGs new Lord of the Rings app-supported campaign dungeon crawler

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Aeon's End, Flash Point: Fire Rescue, Pandemic: The Cure/Iberia, Escape: The Curse of the Temple, Kitchen Rush and Codenames Duet are all examples of good/great co-op games to consider (Aeon's End in particular).

Aeon's End looks pretty interesting, I haven't tried a co-op deckbuilder before. Anyone else tried it?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

alkanphel posted:

Aeon's End looks pretty interesting, I haven't tried a co-op deckbuilder before. Anyone else tried it?

It's fine. We all enjoyed it enough, but didn't see reason to come back to it after winning against each enemy.

Aeon's End Legacy just shipped though, so we'll definitely go through that. I'd wait for reviews on Legacy before buying an AE game.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Bought the 3rd Edition of Greenland & Neanderthal on a whim...

My first Eklund games.

Yay or nay?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

For UK people I found out that The Works online store is having a sale on board games. Nothing majorly spectacular title wise, they have Lords of Xidit, Steam Time and Android: mainframe along with several others for £10 each. Plus there's also a code at the top of the website for even more off.

I picked up a couple of games this way so might be worth seeing if there is anything you like.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Selecta84 posted:

My first Eklund games.

Yay or nay?

Despised Greenland. It's a relentless dicefest.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Jedit posted:

That'll be Reiner Knizia's game. It's bad enough that I will give my copy to a UK goon if they pay shipping, just to get it out of my house.
I would never have associated that game with Knizia, but this is definitely it. Even as a UK goon I think I'll just let you keep it!

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Went round to some friends on Sunday to get a few games in (as they have the table space we lack), so thought I’d do a bit of a trip report.

Planet. Selling point for this was a) it’s pretty cheap and b) each player has a giant magnetic d12 which terrain pentagons get attached to throughout the game. Really nice components, game is decent in play too. Basically you pick one region each round from a pool of (players +1), and have to match the requirements of a load of animal cards to try and attract them to your planet. The animals available in upcoming rounds are always visible, and ties for each species bump the animal to the next round. Each player also has a favoured terrain type; at the end of the game this scores based on the size of that terrain on your finished planet, but species that don’t need that terrain score you double points. Not too deep, only a bit of interaction, but a nice puzzle.

Photosynthesis. Not going to go too in-depth as it’s been talked about a bit here. Found it fun enough, although a bit too long, and with a weirdly constrained decision space which felt a bit artificial. Joyously vicious though, and a decent play.

Dice Hospital. Not much to say really. It’s a solid enough game, but mostly solo puzzles (albeit good ones) that only interact when picking patients/upgrades. Need to add the KS edition expansion to see if that mixes things up a bit - the base game feels a bit flavourless. Theme is less Theme Hospital then everyone hopes.

Tulip Bubble. Sleeper hit of the session. Only picked this up on my wife’s insistence originally, but turns out to have been a good buy. It tries to simulate the eponymous Dutch financial crash, and succeeds pretty well at it. Basically, each round players first sell tulips; either for the market price or to a collector card - these each give a bonus for particular sets of tulips - then bid on up to three tulips in the market. If no-one else bids on one, you have to buy it, otherwise there’s an auction, with losing players getting money based on how far above market value the winner bids.

Now you don’t have to actually spend your own money on the tulip - you can finance it, taking the value from the bank. But financed tulips can only be sold to a collector by paying them off, and they occupy one of your three bid tokens, reducing your ability to buy in subsequent rounds.

Then the prices of the three colours of tulips are adjusted based on how many are left in the current market, plus next turn’s shipment. The twist is that at the start of each turn, a market card is drawn from a deck of 10 which either shifts one colour up or down in price, crashes the most expensive colour, or pushes up the price of the cheapest colour. And one of the last three cards is the bubble bursting and the game ending. Score is cash in hand, less the amount you have financed, which can easily see players ending up in negative points if it bursts early, or they push their luck.

Very tense, unexpectedly large amount of trash talking, and we used Iron Clays for money chips which just made the whole thing feel nicer. Good enough we went into a second game immediately.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

The End posted:

Despised Greenland. It's a relentless dicefest.

:(

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Redundant posted:

I would never have associated that game with Knizia, but this is definitely it. Even as a UK goon I think I'll just let you keep it!

Hey have you heard of Relationship Tightrope, another of his hidden "masterpieces".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tsietisin posted:

For UK people I found out that The Works online store is having a sale on board games. Nothing majorly spectacular title wise, they have Lords of Xidit, Steam Time and Android: mainframe along with several others for £10 each. Plus there's also a code at the top of the website for even more off.

I picked up a couple of games this way so might be worth seeing if there is anything you like.

They're always having a boardgame sale. I picked up Steam Time just now and Onward to Venus and The Staufer Dynasty a little while back. If you can collect from a store you not only get free shipping but also a 15% discount on anything else you buy while you're there. Sometimes stores will have games that aren't on the site.

The current code is TODAY25 if anyone can't find it.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

LazyAngel posted:

Dice Hospital. Not much to say really. It’s a solid enough game, but mostly solo puzzles (albeit good ones) that only interact when picking patients/upgrades. Need to add the KS edition expansion to see if that mixes things up a bit - the base game feels a bit flavourless. Theme is less Theme Hospital then everyone hopes.

Played this at a game night where one person in the group basically buys every game on kickstarter with all the doodads and addons and insisted we play. My opinion is that it's just a worse version of Roll Player.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I posted this in the chat thread but I figured it'd be good to xpost to the actual board game thread:

Anyone got any recommendations for board or card games with a low set up and play time? My lunch group at work is getting sick of Coup (base game only) and Avalon (the Resistance). Social deduction, strategy, and 5+ player count are big pluses.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I posted this in the chat thread but I figured it'd be good to xpost to the actual board game thread:

Anyone got any recommendations for board or card games with a low set up and play time? My lunch group at work is getting sick of Coup (base game only) and Avalon (the Resistance). Social deduction, strategy, and 5+ player count are big pluses.

A Fake Artist Goes to New York might scratch that itch. You can proxy it yourself pretty easily if you like too.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

alkanphel posted:

I play it with my brothers annually.. it's my youngest brother's favorite game ever. We have a ton of fun, but I could see quarterbacking being a huge issue.

I think there's enough variance between spells and items that you can face some monsters more than once. Also if you get all of it; defeating "all" monsters is something like 20 plays.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

FulsomFrank posted:

A Fake Artist Goes to New York might scratch that itch. You can proxy it yourself pretty easily if you like too.

This plus Insider are two of the best clever social deduction games out there.

CSI has AFfO Norwegians in stock, picking my copy up Saturday and giving it a go.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Selecta84 posted:

My first Eklund games.

Yay or nay?

They're very luck dependent. Eklund is attempting to model the effects of an unpredictable, unfair environment on humans and hominins. I think the games are very interesting -- the mechanics are clever. The fun value will be relative to your tolerance for the often-punishing randomness sitting on those mechanics.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah you have to go into those games with a Vlaada “prepare a mighty fortress and watch it break” frame of mind. Megafauna is a great game too but you can literally get hit with a comet or by some radiation and go extinct.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm not displeased about getting Greenland, but it's solidly in the simulation category for me, along with games such as Pendragon and 1853.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

If they don't hate trick taking games your options open up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Internal Affairs. Social deduction, strategy, plays 6 to 8 with a 5-player option.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

SciFiDownBeat posted:

As suggested, if your group can handle trick taking games, I'd suggest Foppen/Fool, which goes 4-8.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Have you got all the pieces for Avalon? Lancelots + Excalibur + Guinevere (sees Lancelots before game, can be stabbed at the end instead of Merlin) really freshen the thing up. We got tired of base Avalon pretty quick, but we played 7/8P with the "full setup" every day for like a year. It was glorious.

I've been playing a fair bit of Bottle Imp lately. It doesn't fit all your boxes - it's only 4p - but it has zero set up, is easy to teach, and you can play as many or as few rounds as you want. And it's a solid little game with some fun luck pushing, some hidden information through card passing/holding, and lots of non-obvious strategy to work through. Good fit for a lunch group I think.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I've gotten a few games of Wingspan under my belt, and I can say with confidence that it's a good game, but fairly light. The actual engine building is fairly basic (you can just choose one action to upgrade to get a good score), and while there's a good amount of complexity in choosing which action you'll take in a turn, you take so few turns that it doesn't add up to much.

The theming really makes the game worthwhile, though. The components are all gorgeous and you can add some narrative elements to add to the simplistic engine building decisions you make. You're not specializing in the drawing bird cards action, you're specializing in water fowl! Each bird has a unique combination of special ability, point value, food cost, and how many eggs it can hold, and even though that won't play a tremendous role in you engine building, it can help personalize your experience in a positive way. It reminds me of Race to the Galaxy, in that there's a lot of narrative and personality you can draw out of the engine building and that even just one expansion may turn the game from good to great.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Thanks for the responses!

FulsomFrank posted:

Bottom Liner posted:

This plus Insider are two of the best clever social deduction games out there.

Jedit posted:

Internal Affairs. Social deduction, strategy, plays 6 to 8 with a 5-player option.

Nice, thanks!

Indolent Bastard posted:

If they don't hate trick taking games your options open up.

taser rates posted:

As suggested, if your group can handle trick taking games, I'd suggest Foppen/Fool, which goes 4-8.

(I had to google trick-taking :kiddo: ) depending on the implementation it might be too "luck-based" for the group's tastes so I'd have to see it in action first.

jmzero posted:

Have you got all the pieces for Avalon? Lancelots + Excalibur + Guinevere (sees Lancelots before game, can be stabbed at the end instead of Merlin) really freshen the thing up. We got tired of base Avalon pretty quick, but we played 7/8P with the "full setup" every day for like a year. It was glorious.

I've been playing a fair bit of Bottle Imp lately. It doesn't fit all your boxes - it's only 4p - but it has zero set up, is easy to teach, and you can play as many or as few rounds as you want. And it's a solid little game with some fun luck pushing, some hidden information through card passing/holding, and lots of non-obvious strategy to work through. Good fit for a lunch group I think.

Are the promo cards still in print? I was under the assumption that they were Kickstarter exclusive.

We sometimes have less than 5 so that's perfectly fine. Optimally any new game would be able to accommodate 4-6 players or any superset of that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Have they played Hearts, or Spades, or anything like that? Standard, old school trick taking games are fairly universal. Leaping from those to more designery ones was the suggestion, I think.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

pospysyl posted:

I've gotten a few games of Wingspan under my belt, and I can say with confidence that it's a good game, but fairly light. The actual engine building is fairly basic (you can just choose one action to upgrade to get a good score), and while there's a good amount of complexity in choosing which action you'll take in a turn, you take so few turns that it doesn't add up to much.

The theming really makes the game worthwhile, though. The components are all gorgeous and you can add some narrative elements to add to the simplistic engine building decisions you make. You're not specializing in the drawing bird cards action, you're specializing in water fowl! Each bird has a unique combination of special ability, point value, food cost, and how many eggs it can hold, and even though that won't play a tremendous role in you engine building, it can help personalize your experience in a positive way. It reminds me of Race to the Galaxy, in that there's a lot of narrative and personality you can draw out of the engine building and that even just one expansion may turn the game from good to great.

I'm always excited to hear people's impressions on this guy since it seems like the must-have game coming out. Where did you get your copy? Or did it hit the stores and leave already?

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I like drafting games like sushi go party or 7 wonders better than trick-taking games at high player counts. So check those out.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

FulsomFrank posted:

I'm always excited to hear people's impressions on this guy since it seems like the must-have game coming out. Where did you get your copy? Or did it hit the stores and leave already?

I ponied up for a pre order of Wingspan but I kind of doubt that I'll even receive anything given the demand and huge shortage.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Played four player Clans of Caledonia last night for the first time in a year. It's held up real good and I'm eager to play it some more. I've seen it at clearance prices all over, so it's a bargain if you want a good resource converter euro

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

The End posted:

Played four player Clans of Caledonia last night for the first time in a year. It's held up real good and I'm eager to play it some more. I've seen it at clearance prices all over, so it's a bargain if you want a good resource converter euro

caveat: not a great 2p, but otherwise yea good game.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Secret Hitler and Mafia de Cuba would probably scratch your itches as well. For more of a party flavor whatever printing of Telestrations/Eat Poop You Cat you can find would be fun.

There's also codenames.

EDIT: ALso 2nding Sushi Go Party. But if your group thinks hearts/spades is too random it may not be for you.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

homullus posted:

They're very luck dependent. Eklund is attempting to model the effects of an unpredictable, unfair environment on humans and hominins. I think the games are very interesting -- the mechanics are clever. The fun value will be relative to your tolerance for the often-punishing randomness sitting on those mechanics.

I play State of Siege games so that is not really a problem. But good mechanics help to tolerate it more.

Tekopo posted:

I'm not displeased about getting Greenland, but it's solidly in the simulation category for me, along with games such as Pendragon and 1853.

I'll keep that in mind during my first game.

Thanks guys

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Mafia de Cuba is bad, broken and even if you play it “properly”, really boring.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Tekopo posted:

Mafia de Cuba is bad, broken and even if you play it “properly”, really boring.

Secrets is probably the same sort of thing - a social deduction game where you don't have to lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Secrets is probably the same sort of thing - a social deduction game where you don't have to lie.

I quite like Secrets because it's chaotic but still has a proper framework that means it doesn't just fall apart like Mafia de Cuba.

I sold my copy of The Resistance in favour of it, mostly because lying was the most fun part of that, and the only people I could ever play with had more or less solved it. Social deduction games are far less fun when you just math them all out.