Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Phylodox posted:

What makes you think the show isn’t perfectly aware of how depressing it is? Do you think it’s just coincidence that the Sisters of Quiet Mercy escapees are being sent right back there under the control of yet another cult?

I think it's the whiplash from scenes like Betty being sassy to her serial killer dad and "Aunty" and Veronica singing a spanish ballad in a speakeasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

terrified of my bathroom posted:

90% of the show could have been avoided if Archie just went to a drat therapist for his obvious ptsd

You know he'd start loving his therapist.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

GreenNight posted:

You know he'd start loving his therapist.

oh without a doubt

probably still better than loving a mob boss' daughter though

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

He only has another year before its too creepy to sleep with high school girls. 2 if he gets held back.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Shneak posted:

This show is so depressing and it doesn't even know it.

Betty breaking out the kids from Quiet Mercy only for her mom to steal her money to help the cult farm buy back the place and house the kids again, going back to square one. But it's cool, here's another Archie/Veronica sex scene.

I actually think it fits in really well with the shows running theme of how hard it is to escape from abusive/dysfunctional relationships and situations.

For as silly and stupid and melodramatic this show is it's really dedicated to that particular motif, and does it well enough that that you could probably write a legit literary analysis paper on it.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

For as silly and stupid and melodramatic this show is it's really dedicated to that particular motif, and does it well enough that that you could probably write a legit literary analysis paper on it.
Or you could throw a party about it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Whalley posted:

Or you could throw a party about it.

Well OBVIOUSLY I'm going to throw a party about it! How else could I get rid of the bodies?!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Me and my fiance had a running joke about every issue with the Serpents always being revealed to be Tallboy selling them out. So we both laughed our asses off.

Also they handwaved Archie being loving dead do hard. I knew they would but I didn't think it would go from "dead, mauled by a bear I'm Canada" to "walked to Riverdale and super alive".

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Shoehead posted:

Also they handwaved Archie being loving dead do hard. I knew they would but I didn't think it would go from "dead, mauled by a bear I'm Canada" to "walked to Riverdale and super alive".
They went from Quarantined Town to Everything Good in a few minutes, I'm fully expecting next episode to open with Betty clinking cuffs down on Veronica's dad and a voiceover saying that he got too cocky and Betty traced the trail of Inky Pinky Clinkerdoos all the way from Fluffington Mountain to City Hall

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Look we don't have time for story and poo poo when we have Cheryl making out with her girlfriend.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GreenNight posted:

Look we don't have time for story and poo poo when we have Cheryl making out with her girlfriend.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Cheryl spinoff when

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

esperterra posted:

Cheryl spinoff when

Good news! We are getting a Riverdale spin-off. But it's a musical series based on Katy Keene.

I remember Katy Keene stories clogging up Archie Comics digests in the back pages and they were mostly for showing off Katy and her friends and family in fashion designs submitted by fans. So Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa has plenty to work with. :v:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Considering how awful the musical episode and moments of characters singing are in Riverdale, that's a hard pass tbh

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

GreenNight posted:

That's another problem with this latest episode. No lesbian cat burglaries

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Shoehead posted:

That's another problem with this latest episode. No lesbian cat burglaries

Too many shows have this problem tbh.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

poste du monocylindre
ohhh loving lol, i barely got through last week's episode. riverdale is getting SO BAD omfg.
1) archie having a bottle of whiskey in his drawer
2) "I was attacked by a bear" being a real-rear end line
3) Archie sitting through literally two seconds of V's song before taking off LOL
4) THE BUMBLE PLUG WAS SO INTENSE

i could go on but i won't. what a wild loving terrible ride that was, i can't stop laughing about it

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

jimmychoo posted:

3) Archie sitting through literally two seconds of V's song before taking off LOL
I was joking while watching that he just ran outside to cry like "but i don't... i don't speak spanish"

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I can't believe Archie couldn't read until he was nearly seven.

And by that I mean I believe it so much that it's etched onto the surface of my very soul.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Is it just me or is it way too late to expect us to care about SATs? Like maybe season one before serial killers, drug cults, mafia hits, child prison fight clubs, and martial law quarantine but we're so far off the rails at this point like how could I ever give a poo poo about a test?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Is it just me or is it way too late to expect us to care about SATs? Like maybe season one before serial killers, drug cults, mafia hits, child prison fight clubs, and martial law quarantine but we're so far off the rails at this point like how could I ever give a poo poo about a test?

SATs help determine whether you get into a good college right out of high school; it's the cast's chance to escape this insane nonsense.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

What the gently caress is this episode? It was like 800 plot points in 40 minutes.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
"Not people - MEN!!!" More Penelope Blossom bumps up any Riverdale episode up a grade, IMO.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Sgt. Politeness posted:

These 'kids' have been in Grade 12 for 3 years now so there's a lot of pressure on them to finally move on from high school.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Majorian posted:

"Not people - MEN!!!" More Penelope Blossom bumps up any Riverdale episode up a grade, IMO.

She's giving an absolute powerhouse performance. Quite why we're still dealing with Hiram's insane Archie obsessed rear end when we could be on the Penelope Blossom train to hell I don't know.

Knock down Riverdale High and turn it into a brothel! Do it! Do iiiitt.

Edit: no no no no no. I got it. She takes over La Bon Nuit and turns it into a burlesque club. Veronica sings a mournful cover of The Black Eyed Peas' I Gotta Feeling over a slow motion montage. It is terrible.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 31, 2019

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Binary Logic posted:

These 'kids' have been in Grade 12 for 3 years now so there's a lot of pressure on them to finally move on from high school.

Okay but my dude they were explicitly in grade 10 in season 1 & 2 and now in grade 11, when Americans are expected to take their SATs.

Like the principal straight up says "maybe you should repeat your junior year."

They're all still played by adults so you still got us there.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
This episode was even more bonkers than normal. Practically every parent is a murderer lmao it's so good

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Edit: no no no no no. I got it. She takes over La Bon Nuit and turns it into a burlesque club. Veronica sings a mournful cover of The Black Eyed Peas' I Gotta Feeling over a slow motion montage. It is terrible.

What a horrible idea...that sounds exactly like something they would do.

Also, kicking myself for not seeing the "who shot JR" plot coming. It's as if while planning this season they realized "everything has been done before...." and their solution was "...but not all at the same time!"

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.
This episode was a wild ride from start to finish, and I love it. My one concern is that this town is starting to run out of adults who're not murdered or in prison for murder.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
How is the thread title not “Riverdale: No one is innocent in CRIME TOWN”?

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

Phylodox posted:

How is the thread title not “Riverdale: No one is innocent in CRIME TOWN”?

Or "Forget it Jughead, it's Riverdale."

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
i think we're all brushing past the fact that tall boy's real name is fuckin, Gerald Petite

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
god this show is so stupid

I love it

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Still Fluxing posted:

Or "Forget it Jughead, it's Riverdale."

amazing.

I'm not sure what Veronica's goal is. She's keeping her parents alive and out of prison just so she can gently caress them over whenever possible? The Lodges are a MESS.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
lol if you think even a singular person in this show, including the writers, has a set and coherent goal

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

terrified of my bathroom posted:

lol if you think even a singular person in this show, including the writers, has a set and coherent goal

Case in point: why did Cheryl get so defensive when Betty asked questions about her mother being a murder? Cheryl has had multiple storylines about how much she hates her abusive mother. Why should she care if her mom goes to jail or not?

Of course, it's been implied previously that Cheryl already knows her mom is a murder so maybe she just wants to keep her out of prison so she can blackmail her mother if she ever needs cash?

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 31, 2019

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

It would have to be Josie singing for it to be maximally terrible. She sings flat more often than Veronica.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The Chinatown tribute angle was fun.

But Archie's arc in about forty minutes went from psychopath fighting at his father's job site, to walking into hospital room with a gun to, "hey Josie maybe we could jam sometime?"
When she replied, "Yeah sure but you're singing back up" she was taking her life into her own hands! He might just as quickly have taken a swing at her and said, "I don't sing back up for anybody. Not for my father's foreman not for Hiram Lodge and not for you".

Malpais Legate posted:

Okay but my dude they were explicitly in grade 10 in season 1 & 2 and now in grade 11, when Americans are expected to take their SATs.

Like the principal straight up says "maybe you should repeat your junior year."

They're all still played by adults so you still got us there.
Thanks, I need the occasional reminder this woman's in grade 11.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Binary Logic posted:

The Chinatown tribute angle was fun.

But Archie's arc in about forty minutes went from psychopath fighting at his father's job site, to walking into hospital room with a gun to, "hey Josie maybe we could jam sometime?"
When she replied, "Yeah sure but you're singing back up" she was taking her life into her own hands! He might just as quickly have taken a swing at her and said, "I don't sing back up for anybody. Not for my father's foreman not for Hiram Lodge and not for you".

Nah, it's cool. Archie doesn't have PTSD anymore. He shot a dude in a hospital, remember? That cured him of his trauma forever, because that's how that works. Who needs therapy when you have a gun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Who needs therapy when you have a gun?
The American way!!!

Ok this episode totally makes up for off screen bear attack, I was starting to worry about this show the last few episodes but this one was great and the next one looks CaRaAAAaazy so I'm 100% back in!

....even though Hiram wasn't even out for an entire episode(I should have known better)