Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Because this game is supposed to be the climax and it feels like there's absolutely no stakes in anything because nobody feels like they're in any danger. When it's KH1 and Sora's goofing around I can get behind it. DDD had the excuse that these worlds were all sleeping and waking them was part of his test. BBS was a retread of KH1 with characters exploring worlds hunting people down.

This one sora just kinda goes to frozen land and "I'm here now" with no provocation so it feels weird

just relax and enjoy the ride, the plot will happen when it happens
tbh if the game didn’t give you a solid 20-something hours of Disney fun times it would just be completely unappealing to anybody who hasn’t been playing every game in the series on release date.

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Augus posted:

It’s really silly and fun actually

This

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Augus posted:

just relax and enjoy the ride, the plot will happen when it happens

Oh I am, don't get me wrong.

I just wish they did more. Literally all they had to do is "hey I heard a org member was singing let it go can you go check it out" and I'd be like sure that's good enough reason.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Because this game is supposed to be the climax and it feels like there's absolutely no stakes in anything because nobody feels like they're in any danger. When it's KH1 and Sora's goofing around I can get behind it. DDD had the excuse that these worlds were all sleeping and waking them was part of his test. BBS was a retread of KH1 with characters exploring worlds hunting people down.

This one sora just kinda goes to frozen land and "I'm here now" with no provocation so it feels weird

Sora knows the Organization assholes will follow him wherever he goes, so might as well have fun until they get tired of his bullshit and tell him where to go.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I do wish the organization fights weren’t completely backloaded though.
I thought KH2 was bad about leaving so many of them for the end but geez it really seems like you just don’t fight any organization members in any of the Disney worlds, it’s all ominous speeches, maybe a quick exchange during the cutscene, then they sic a heartless on you

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The secret ending/epilogue/whatever is out in the wild.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I still can't believe that we've finally made it to the end of this series. I'm sure there'll be spin-offs or whatever but it's just been so long since the first game. This has been a fun and wild ride

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I just finished the Toy Story world and man I really appreciate how the movie characters are finally participating in the story as much as I can reasonably expect them to, short of them actually travelling with you. It really helped that Toy Box had an original story instead of rehashing the film, and call me sappy but I loved that whole bit at the end where they tie in the writing on Woody/Buzz's shoes to Sora's platitudes and then Woody undarknesses Buzz by just stepping forward with the power of friendship.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I still can't believe that we've finally made it to the end of this series. I'm sure there'll be spin-offs or whatever but it's just been so long since the first game. This has been a fun and wild ride

It's the end of this arc. Like we just finished the Cell Saga and now we're just going to enter the Frieza Saga with someone even more darknessed than Xehanort.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think my only problem with the game so far difficulty aside is that the story feels more aimless than usual.

I'm enjoying Monsteropolis or whatever but uh, why am I here? Why was I in the frozen place? What does it have to do with the power of waking that I need to get? KH has always been kind of bad about this but given this is the supposed finale of this Xehanort junk it just makes it feel like pointless filler

KH2 was even more vague with the only reason to visit worlds being "Well I guess Riku might be here idk"

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Argue posted:

I just finished the Toy Story world and man I really appreciate how the movie characters are finally participating in the story as much as I can reasonably expect them to, short of them actually travelling with you. It really helped that Toy Box had an original story instead of rehashing the film, and call me sappy but I loved that whole bit at the end where they tie in the writing on Woody/Buzz's shoes to Sora's platitudes and then Woody undarknesses Buzz by just stepping forward with the power of friendship.

It's the end of this arc. Like we just finished the Cell Saga and now we're just going to enter the Frieza Saga with someone even more darknessed than Xehanort.

Kingdom Hearts IV is going to start with Sora trying to fit in with his school mates while fighting crime

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Running around an actually alive Twilight Town, with bystanders doing things and making background noise, is incredibly trippy. It really bums me out that it doesn't seem Radiant Gardens exists outside of cutscenes when people there call me. I'd have loved to see what that place looks like as an alive city with the FF guys just hanging out.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shoehead posted:

Kingdom Hearts IV is going to start with Sora trying to fit in with his school mates while fighting crime

Goofy is going to make one big final appeal to the people of the multiverse to give Sora their hearts so the Heart Bomb can be strong enough to destroy Kid Xehanort.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think my only problem with the game so far difficulty aside is that the story feels more aimless than usual.

I'm enjoying Monsteropolis or whatever but uh, why am I here? Why was I in the frozen place? What does it have to do with the power of waking that I need to get? KH has always been kind of bad about this but given this is the supposed finale of this Xehanort junk it just makes it feel like pointless filler
I'm really early on so maybe this changes later, but I thought they actually explained Sora's pointless wandering pretty well: his goal is "free Roxas" but he has no loving idea whatsoever how to do that, so going on Hercules' advice about being a hero meaning wanting to save your friends with all of your heart and that "may your heart be your guiding key" repeated motif, he's literally just going wherever seems like a good place to go, on the assumption that anywhere he ends up will be useful, because he followed his heart there. It's circular logic, but the precise sort of circular logic that works if you're a Kingdom Hearts character.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
What's the point of maps being in chests? They're always in gigantic chests right in front of you and they aren't hidden or out of the way or anything. It seems like a weird extra step instead of just... having the map right away

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Macaluso posted:

What's the point of maps being in chests? They're always in gigantic chests right in front of you and they aren't hidden or out of the way or anything. It seems like a weird extra step instead of just... having the map right away

it's another weird series tradition

is there any way to actually enlarge the map? can't seem to find a dedicated map screen in the pause menu

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Macaluso posted:

Dunno, I never did find the map in the second Tangled area with the Marsh.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Uh here's another question: Why... did Mike and Sully paint themselves. Did I skip over a line of dialogue

They can't use the elevator... Mike is like "oh of course!", and they paint themselves pink and blue. The elevator now works? Next room it gets washed off? ?????

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To make Boo laugh to power the elevator

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Macaluso posted:

Uh here's another question: Why... did Mike and Sully paint themselves. Did I skip over a line of dialogue

They can't use the elevator... Mike is like "oh of course!", and they paint themselves pink and blue. The elevator now works? Next room it gets washed off? ?????

if you remember Monsters Inc. their poo poo is powered by the laughter of children. the elevator was out of power, they had to do something silly to get Boo to laugh

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

If the pleasure centers of your brain don't light up when you hear "Sora, Donald Goofy" out of pure Pavlovian conditioning this game isn't for you

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

please for the love of god i want to leave frozen world, game

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arist posted:

please for the love of god i want to leave frozen world, game

you're never going back

the past is in the past

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Maybe they should have told Boo the plot of Kingdom Hearts.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Electric Phantasm posted:

Maybe they should have told Boo the plot of Kingdom Hearts.

Yeah she'd totally giggle and clap her hands at all the pretty sparkly things.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Frozen definitely feels like the low point of the game to me.

Gotta climb up that mountain 5 times.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zaa Boogie posted:

I'm now imagining her getting on the rides Sora summons up and having the time of her life.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Zaa Boogie posted:

But honestly, :same:.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh my god I don't loving care about Ahnna and Elsa

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Complain about Frozen world all you want, the real slog is the pirate world.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I was a fool for deciding I'd start pirate world and then save my game to take a break.

Warning: Pirate World takes like 30-40 minutes to get you to a save point.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

SpazmasterX posted:

Complain about Frozen world all you want, the real slog is the pirate world.

300 crabs.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Also they seriously need a way to make links more accessible. I think if they changed it to work like Cure, where it just takes the rest of your MP it would be fine, but as it stands Attractions are just free Links and there is no real reason to ever use a Summon, regardless of how useful they may be.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wreck-it Ralph seems impossible to use properly.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Roth posted:

Frozen definitely feels like the low point of the game to me.

Gotta climb up that mountain 5 times.

thats how i felt about deep jungle except i also had no idea where the heck anything was and still dont after nearly 10 proud playthroughs years later

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I was using the Toy Box keyblade a lot and decided to swap to the 100 Acre Woods one and uh.. it seems kinda busted in how strong it is? Once I get the [HONEY GUNS] I don't have to put myself in danger at all and just sit a mile away safe sniping idiots. Does this fall off or something cause jeez lol.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I've been watching videos of the KH games I've missed in order to be fully caught up playing this game, and hoo-boy.

Kingdom Hearts' plot is like the QAnon of video games: it's all just being made up as it goes along, the creators of it think they're some kind of mad genius, and it's full of all kinds of crazy shape-shifting monsters, secret wars and crazy weaponry.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If I didn't like Kingdom Hearts 9 years ago, will I like it now?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Quick question about the end of world story cutscenes around the middle of the game: am I suppose to know who the girl Ansem experimented on is? Is it Namine? Or someone from the mobile game?.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's heavily implied to be someone from the mobile game, one of the Dandelion leaders.

@grouchio: lol no you won't, you might even dislike it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vitamean posted:

Quick question about the end of world story cutscenes around the middle of the game: am I suppose to know who the girl Ansem experimented on is? Is it Namine? Or someone from the mobile game?.

As near as I can tell it is pure sequel bait.