Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you currently have a prepaid utility meter?
This poll is closed.
Yes - both gas and electric 32 4.71%
Yes - gas only 4 0.59%
Yes - electric only 33 4.85%
Yes - plus prepaid water (this exists and is terrible) 0 0%
No - Direct Debit/Standing Order 336 49.41%
No - utilities are included as part of my tenancy/cohab/basement goonery 65 9.56%
No - I'm off-grid or still get a coal man 6 0.88%
No - my house is powered by Pressurized Boiling Hot Takes 67 9.85%
Pissflaps - via some sort of treadmill arrangement 137 20.15%
Total: 680 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Not UK but still

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1091003635125927936

doges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sanford posted:

Yeah that's as far as I got with it. Racism is normally very on the nose; for all the many reasons you can criticise it, "difficult to understand" is rare.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Can you plot that against Timecube

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I'm far right. Slap bang in the middle on all other accounts.

Just plain far right :(

e: poo poo actually I think I worked it out, you've just got to draw a diagonal plane bisecting the cube equidistant to the 2 opposing wossname corners, which I think means I'm officially with The Baddies when Helter Skelter happens :(:(

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 31, 2019

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Jeremy Corbyn wants to eat dogs, this is bad for Jeremy Corbyn.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Dead Goon posted:

Jeremy Corbyn wants to eat dogs, this is bad for Jeremy Corbyn.

Worked for Obama

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Sanford should have posted:

Yeah that's as far as I got with it. Racism written on the back of a van is normally very on the nose; for all the many reasons you can criticise it, "difficult to understand" is rare.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Arthur de Gobineau rides past in a carriage with a 5000 word incomprehensible treatise on the dark races scrawled on the back.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Corbyn quoted Bernie but did not do an impression of him

This is unacceptable

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDndqf5U2cM

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?

ThomasPaine posted:

Wrt Fischer I skimmed the vampire castle again and while I agree that he's a bit much with brand and it's not his best work, I maintain that it's unreasonable to blame him for others misreading it to attack minorities, which clearly isn't his argument. Here's the link for anyone interested:

https://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdom/mark-fisher/exiting-vampire-castle

One pertinent section that does a good job of summarising his position:

I love the part in Vampire's Castle where he claims that anyone from a minority who criticizes something is actually an Academic Upper-Middle Class Cosmopolitan Neo-Anarchist Elite, actually because some people were mean to Russell Brand on Twitter in 2013 or something

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Sanford posted:

Can anyone decipher this weird maybe-racism? It says "don't look kike that" and the picture was an Islamic moon & star but the star was a Star of David with a trail of little stars coming off it. I just don't get it.

It says CLEAN ME

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ratjaculation posted:

It says CLEAN ME
But with "of the subhuman semitic races" underneath.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maybe they're sixth house cultists and have very strong opinions about the nerevarine.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1091027292237848577

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Catboy Autonomist posted:

I love the part in Vampire's Castle where he claims that anyone from a minority who criticizes something is actually an Academic Upper-Middle Class Cosmopolitan Neo-Anarchist Elite, actually because some people were mean to Russell Brand on Twitter in 2013 or something

Yes because this is absolutely something that he does.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Mr.Tophat posted:

I am one.

I'm saying a great deal of stress would be free from my life if I could just be like, "Yup, here's hard evidence that my brain is different." As it stands, I have to use the words, "On my worst day, I am unable to do X Y and Z."

I went to a fitness assessment this month. I recommend you listen to the people speaking.

Same for me here. I'm still waiting for the results of my fitness assessment, which was on the 11th. It would, as you say, be easier to say "here is a picture of what's wrong" than trying to adequately perform my depression and anxiety for a complete stranger. Of course, as Poison Jam says, they do deny benefits to people with easily proven physical conditions often, so it might not make much practical difference after all.

Also: it is disagreeable, when you're waiting for your assessment results, to hear something come through the door and look to find it's that ridiculous Wetherspoons magazine. It must have wasted good resources to put such a thing through everyone's door, regardless of whether they've visited a Wetherspoons in the last fifteen years or not.

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.
Not to poke at the homogeneity of the English Landed Gentry, but is Rich Rural Dark a sustained class of people in the UK?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Indeterminacy posted:

Not to poke at the homogeneity of the English Landed Gentry, but is Rich Rural Dark a sustained class of people in the UK?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jollity Farm posted:

Same for me here. I'm still waiting for the results of my fitness assessment, which was on the 11th. It would, as you say, be easier to say "here is a picture of what's wrong" than trying to adequately perform my depression and anxiety for a complete stranger. Of course, as Poison Jam says, they do deny benefits to people with easily proven physical conditions often, so it might not make much practical difference after all.

Also: it is disagreeable, when you're waiting for your assessment results, to hear something come through the door and look to find it's that ridiculous Wetherspoons magazine. It must have wasted good resources to put such a thing through everyone's door, regardless of whether they've visited a Wetherspoons in the last fifteen years or not.

A friend managed to 'pass' her assessment for depression and she firmly believes that a lot of people treat it like a job interview, dress up professionally and really struggle to do the best they can at the tests (sometimes at a considerable cost) because they mistakenly believe that their effort will be respected, and that the examination is meant to objectively assess their capabilities.

On the contrary, she says, it's way better to do what she did and rock up just in the nick of time unwashed and wearing dirty trackies half-cut and just answer everything with grunts and one word answers to the point it's impossible to conclude anything but you're extremely unwell.*

I have no idea if any if this is true but it sure as hell worked for her so who the hell knows.

* While she may have played it up a bit for the interview, she isn't a fraudster and does have a bunch of mental health problems

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 31, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Nick Timothy, Theresa May’s former co-chief of staff, has a solution to the backstop problem in his Telegraph column. posted:

If even an invisible Irish border is unacceptable to the EU, another option is available: a customs territory comprising the UK and Ireland. The republic could remain in the EU but leave its customs union, agreeing instead a common commercial policy including matching tariffs with the UK. This would protect Irish consumers and businesses: the republic imports more from the UK than from any EU country, and the UK is its second biggest European export market. It would also support Irish exports: 85 per cent of its freight trade to the continent uses British ports.

Charles Moore in the Spectator is not worried about the threat of food shortages. posted:

What to do about the coming shortage of green groceries of which several supermarkets warned yet again this week if there is a no-deal Brexit on 29 March? I am just old enough to remember when fresh fruit and veg were in short supply at this time of year. People used to know how to store things to mitigate the problem: apples would be carefully laid out on straw-strewn shelves. We ate lots of root vegetables and not much greenery. If ever you saw a strawberry out of season it came, for some reason, from Israel. Perhaps it is time for a Brexit recipe book, like those comforting wartime rationing ones full of bright ideas for dull things. In our part of the south coast we have racier ideas. We have a centuries-old tradition of smuggling (‘brandy for the parson, baccy for the clerk’), and are ready to set out in our little ships to Dunkirk or wherever and bring back luscious black-market lettuces and French beans, oranges and lemons. Our Sussex and Kent smugglers used to be known as ‘free traders’, which is interesting and — if we have to sneak over an EU tariff wall — entirely appropriate for today.

Yes, these ideas are perfectly sane suggestions from perfectly sane people.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Don't mind me, just going to write in the mainstream media about my plans to break international law

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

That is a prime example of the logical result of the "pivot to video", which just eventually resulted in text articles being turned into video slideshows in an attempt to get more views

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MikeCrotch posted:

That is a prime example of the logical result of the "pivot to video", which just eventually resulted in text articles being turned into video slideshows in an attempt to get more views

lol I didn't actually watch the video and thought it was a clip of the show.

the actual show reveal is hilarious

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Boxing

Is

Barbaric

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Smart man Nick Timothy posted:

If ever you saw a strawberry out of season it came, for some reason, from Israel.

What.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

What is hard?

People want stuff all the time, even out of season.

It has to some from somewhere.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pesky Splinter posted:

These are the kinds of people that are running this country. Arrogant, clueless fucktards, and they have all the power. Jesus christ it's enough to make you loving despair

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Same with non-seasonal chocolate oranges

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Unrelated but still, :lol:

Margaret Thatcher statue ‘will need a 10-foot plinth to deter vandals posted:

A £300,000 statue of Margaret Thatcher will need to a high plinth to deter ‘politically-motivated vandals’, police have said. Plans to install the figure on a 10-foot platform in the former Prime Minister’s home town of Grantham, Lincolnshire, will be voted on next week.

The police report said: ‘In general there remains a motivated far-left movement across the UK (though not so much in Lincolnshire) who may be committed to public activism.

‘Margaret Thatcher does however maintain an element of emblematic significance to many on the left and the passage of time does seem to have diminished that intensity of feeling.’ The statue has so-far had 17 objections and seven people writing in support.

Last year, plans to erect the statue in Westminster were rejected by the Westminster Council, with a report saying it could have attracted ‘potential vandalism and civil disorder’. The report to the South Kesteven District Council’s Development Management Committee said these issues were also present in this case.

‘The divisive nature of Baroness Thatcher due to her political career and policy legacy and the potential for this to result in vandalism has been raised as a concern,’ it read. ‘A threat assessment has been carried out by Lincolnshire Police who consider there is a possibility any public statue of Baroness Thatcher could be a target for politically motivated vandals.

Lincolnshire Police’s Crime Prevention Officer has not objected to the proposal but they have recommended the statue is placed on a sufficiently high plinth and is sited in a location that benefits from good natural surveillance as well as lighting and CCTV.’

Letters in support of the statue have declared that its proposed location on St Peter’s Hill was suitable to ‘commemorate the first female Prime Minister’.

But objections have declared Baroness Thatcher a ‘divisive figure to due to political career and policies’. The committee will vote on the proposals next Tuesday.

More fool them if they think a 10ft plinth is going to stop anyone.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A big 10 foot blank space is definitely gonna deter vandalism.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
how irresponsible, the first one up there with a hacksaw could really hurt themselves

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/mehall/status/1090962756063371265

edit; for reference -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equestrian_statue_of_the_Duke_of_Wellington,_Glasgow

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

Ah yes I'm sure Ireland would love to join a common commercial area with the UK considering almost half of Ireland's exports are pharmaceuticals with a huge amount going to the EU, with total exports with the EU being almost 5 times higher than the UK.

I'm sure all the big pharma companies that have deliberately made Ireland their European base would love that idea

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 31, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Bardeh posted:

These are the kinds of people that are running this country. Arrogant, clueless fucktards, and they have all the power. Jesus christ it's enough to make you loving despair

One of them was actually running the country through a Theresa May-shaped proxy. And was one of the duo responsible for that insane poo poo she was spewing over the snap election - that they convinced her to call (:lol:).

The other Tories hated them because they kept mummy May all to themselves, and she would only listen to poo poo run through them apparently. One of the things she had to do when she hosed up the election for them was to get rid of baby-man Nick Timothy and the other one.

Apparently one of the reasons she's even more of a shambling aimless wreck is that she heavily relied on following their bad advice, and without them, she has even less of a clue. That's going by what tory fartsniffer Tim Shipman says in his book, anyway - how accurate that is, I'm not sure.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

so hold up what kind of container does milk currently come in over in y'alls neck of the woods

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
plastic semi translucent jugs. also the colour coding is different and the percentages don’t totally match up.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

what sizes?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

sudo rm -rf posted:

what sizes?

pints

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

sudo rm -rf posted:

what sizes?

I think it's actually in litres now, but everybody knows it as one pint, two pints, four pints, six pints.