Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Andrast posted:

Tetris is a roguelike

It's a sandwich. The two sides are the bread and the tetrominoes are the filling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmes5rhR-jQ

:eyepop:

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Happy Wargroove Eve y'all

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Please let it be noted that my hated of certain genres of games like roguelike or whatever doesn't mean I think they're bad. I just hate them. I appreciate people who work hard on those games and can recognize they are objectively good.

Honestly communities like these are the vocal minority, it isn't odd to dislike roguelikes at all.

They're disproportionately popular with indie developers for their asset/content creation efficiency (e.g. leaning on emergent gampleay in sandbox would the AAA dev equivalent) but imagine you were going to show a new gamer a Bideo Jame, would it be a roguelike? gently caress no, they're by definition a [hard] 'core' game.

People that play a lot of video games love them but they're by nature too frustrating/challenging to produce any kind of flow for most people. Probably the best example of a more mainstreamed roguelike (and the only one I think could change your mind) is Moonlighter.

This is just one dev's hot take but I think games like Into The Breach demonstrate that some way for people that are not as good to retain x amount of progress so they can, in some sense, 'grind it out' is one of the bigger bridges toward a broader audience for roguelikes

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Omnikin posted:

Does anyone know how the map sharing is going to work? It's not a make or break for me, but I'd love to get some reskinned advance wars or fire emblem maps.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Omnikin posted:

Is it unlocked tonight? I have to be at work early for an 8am meeting but it would be rad to start the campaign in bed tonight.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Beastie posted:

it would be rad to start the campaign in bed tonight.

:wink:

But also I want to know the answer to this question, too.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don’t understand how it’s 2019 and Triple Triad is still not available on the Nintendo Switch.

Square is incompetently managed.

See: Everything that the not-Enix and Eidos parts do.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don’t understand how it’s 2019 and Triple Triad is still not available on the Nintendo Switch.

Sony is still being a butt about letting FFXIV be crossplay with other consoles.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i'm gonna buy and enjoy tangledeep and wargroove

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Your Computer posted:

i'm gonna buy and enjoy tangledeep and wargroove

Blasphemer!

How much does Tangledeep cost, though? Asking for a friend, of course.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Anyone want to swing me one way or another on Monster Boy? I haven't heard anyone mention it itt

Looking for more games to play and I don't plan on buying wargroove OR tangledeep

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I want to buy Wargroove but I'm still neck deep in a Stardew Valley relapse

AND I want Tangledeep, along with like 10 other indie games goddamn there's not enough time in the day

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Johnny Truant posted:

Blasphemer!

How much does Tangledeep cost, though? Asking for a friend, of course.

20 and I am now playing it

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
They must have produced tiny quantities of the Mario party + joycon set in Europe because I’ve never seen it for a reasonable price, either in an actual shop or on amazon

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Everyone loves monster boy but personally I think it has tedious level design requiring memorization and physics and animation too loyal to thirty year old games, papered over by a gorgeous art style.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I can't play tangledeep until I beat disgaea... but I really want to play tangledeep.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

thechalkoutline posted:

Anyone want to swing me one way or another on Monster Boy? I haven't heard anyone mention it itt

Looking for more games to play and I don't plan on buying wargroove OR tangledeep

It's a solid metroidvania that's got fantastic visuals and sound. It's got some vibes of Shantae but without all the huge issues that series has. The general platforming and fighting is all good, and the movement tech you unlock is great fun. The gear system is also pretty good in general, though there a handful of items that are just completely pointless or come way too late in the game.

Main negatives:
- It's 100% linear with (mostly) optional backtracking.

- The boss fights aren't very good, every single one of them is just a cycle based fight where you use whatever the latest ability you got to make the boss vulnerable for a fixed % of damage. That being said, they're all pretty short and quick and none of them are outright bad or anything.

- Some minor pacing issues, you spend way too long with the Pig at the start of the game. A dumb mandatory stealth section toward the end of the game (it's short and super easy though) followed by a looooong puzzle section.

- Nothing else after finishing the game, not even a Hard mode or anything like that.

- It's kind of on the pricey side.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ohhhhh man I am ready for a new game and Wargroove is it. Played a bit of Advance Wars to see if I was still into the general idea and the answer is Hell Yes

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Ohtsam posted:

Sony is still being a butt about letting FFXIV be crossplay with other consoles.

The last I heard out of the people working on 14 they were more bitching about getting MS & Nintendo to leave them out of their patch rules and such than Sony. Game is cross linked to PC, they've already broke the mold there.

Plus the player base is nervous at a Switch port as that creates a new upper limit like the PS3's limited RAM did for a loooong time.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Hand Row posted:

20 and I am now playing it

How're the controls? I played it on PC and I used the mouse a lot so I'm wondering if it feels okay without one

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

chaleski posted:

I want to buy Wargroove but I'm still neck deep in a Stardew Valley relapse

AND I want Tangledeep, along with like 10 other indie games goddamn there's not enough time in the day

Every time someone mentions Stardew Valley I get pulled inexorably closer to buying it and replaying it. I know I will. I want to hold out until summer, considering all the games that are coming out, but it's hard to resist. The real horror is knowing that once I get, nothing will be done again in my life (for at least 3 months).

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

LethalGeek posted:

The last I heard out of the people working on 14 they were more bitching about getting MS & Nintendo to leave them out of their patch rules and such than Sony. Game is cross linked to PC, they've already broke the mold there.

Plus the player base is nervous at a Switch port as that creates a new upper limit like the PS3's limited RAM did for a loooong time.

The main reason PS3 was limiting was it didn't even have enough ram to support ui additions. That aspect wouldn't be an issue with switch where the main limiter would be frame rate from cpu limits

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Next patch:

*Removed unintentionally enabled debug features

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Did they make pressing jump a second time do the spin?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah and it sucks

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Everyone loves monster boy but personally I think it has tedious level design requiring memorization and physics and animation too loyal to thirty year old games, papered over by a gorgeous art style.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It's a solid metroidvania that's got fantastic visuals and sound. It's got some vibes of Shantae but without all the huge issues that series has. The general platforming and fighting is all good, and the movement tech you unlock is great fun. The gear system is also pretty good in general, though there a handful of items that are just completely pointless or come way too late in the game.

Main negatives:
- It's 100% linear with (mostly) optional backtracking.

- The boss fights aren't very good, every single one of them is just a cycle based fight where you use whatever the latest ability you got to make the boss vulnerable for a fixed % of damage. That being said, they're all pretty short and quick and none of them are outright bad or anything.

- Some minor pacing issues, you spend way too long with the Pig at the start of the game. A dumb mandatory stealth section toward the end of the game (it's short and super easy though) followed by a looooong puzzle section.

- Nothing else after finishing the game, not even a Hard mode or anything like that.

- It's kind of on the pricey side.

Thanks, that was very helpful as I think I'll pass... maybe Hyrule Warriors

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Every time someone mentions Stardew Valley I get pulled inexorably closer to buying it and replaying it. I know I will. I want to hold out until summer, considering all the games that are coming out, but it's hard to resist. The real horror is knowing that once I get, nothing will be done again in my life (for at least 3 months).

Yeah I have this purchased and I have the same issue and can't bring myself to start — I should just dive into that first tbh

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

So uhh, apparently there might be a smaller switch coming. If they can pull it off, sounds interesting.

https://r.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO4075094031012019TJ1000

https://gearnuke.com/nintendo-planning-launching-smaller-cheaper-switch-end-of-fy2019-rumor/

The end of the English article is wrong though, insiders have consistently pointed to a more efficient switch, not smaller

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hatty posted:

Yeah and it sucks

Why would they do that

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They cant do smaller unless it's a single contained unit (no joycons) which completely segments the game library with incompatible titles and I don't see that happening. Every single rumor so far about the next hardware revision of the Switch has been wrong.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They could trim down the borders around the screen without losing the joycons - but not enough for it to be worth it.

The main revision I'd want is just a better screen. Beef up the innards enough that it can support a 1080p OLED.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A lite Switch would still be too expensive for me to not just keep buying my kid 2ds games.

Well ok technically I would totally buy my kid a lite switch this year but no way my wife would allow it. He's addicted to Mario Maker enough as is.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nintendo is definitely just going to put out a dock-less package with a price cut less than half the cost of a dock

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

The main revision I'd want is just a better screen. Beef up the innards enough that it can support a 1080p OLED.

I can guarantee you that this isn't going to happen

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
put a GBA slot in the Switch

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Andrast posted:

I can guarantee you that this isn't going to happen

Yeah, true. It's just the only thing they could announce right now that would actually interest me.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

bushisms.txt posted:

So uhh, apparently there might be a smaller switch coming. If they can pull it off, sounds interesting.

https://r.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO4075094031012019TJ1000

https://gearnuke.com/nintendo-planning-launching-smaller-cheaper-switch-end-of-fy2019-rumor/

The end of the English article is wrong though, insiders have consistently pointed to a more efficient switch, not smaller

They should make it so the lil switch plugs into the bottom of the big switch and then start porting DS games like crazy

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

MMF Freeway posted:

How're the controls? I played it on PC and I used the mouse a lot so I'm wondering if it feels okay without one

Didn’t get to play much but pretty good I think. For movement you hold the left stick and see an arrow for the direction and hit A to confirm to move to that square. You can just hold down A and it is like you are running.

Edit: you can turn off the confirm if you want. Also seems to have a lot of touchscreen assistance if you play handheld.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 31, 2019

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Fallom posted:

Nintendo is definitely just going to put out a dock-less package with a price cut less than half the cost of a dock
This already exists in Japan lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

American McGay posted:

This already exists in Japan lol.

NoA is going to sit in a board meeting for thirty six hours to try and figure out how to take this concept and sell it to the west.

Say hello to the SomewhatNew Nintendo Switch!