Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Xik posted:

You're sort of ignoring context and the previous history with this. The original EA only had a male character, the Subnautica director and studio co-founder put out a stupid loving poll on twitter asking players if they want to "improve the core game" or "add a female model". The studio in general seemed to have a series of lovely employees doing and saying stupid poo poo.

They obviously decided to change it up and make the default model female this time. Even if it their sole motivation was to attempt to avoid bad press then who cares, they followed through and did it.

Oh ya sorry I had no idea about any of that. Personally I like the silent protagonist thing from the first game, but who cares, the company has shown they can nail atmosphere in their game.

JawnV6 posted:

You just take the 3d modelers and assign them to Performance, hth

what I do know is my computer now, is much more powerful than shockingly low requirements for this game. and some companies can make games that don't run like dog poo poo, and others can't. how that happens, no loving ideas, but in this case graphically intensive is not the excuse this game can use, because there is nothing graphically intensive about any of this game.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
I guess that is the joy of nameless, faceless, voiceless protagonists. You can project yourself into that person, and be whoever you want to be. Siamese twin dragonkin with peanut butter allergy and two prosthetic penises? All yours, buddy. Just don't make the actual game suck.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
*sees 30 new Subnautica posts*

:crossarms:

Oh...have y'all never posted with Morphix before? :laugh:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Yeah, that's the real danger with the awesome robot suit: if you fall too fast you might pass through the bottom of the map before it renders and then you just keep falling until you get below crush depth.

Morphix posted:

Ya, and Subnautica is such a unique experience that it's easy enough to excuse if the experience really grips you. But so much of the experience is getting lost in this very real and alive feeling world. So when basic game geomtery is failing to keep up with the games own movement, it really begins to ruin the experience. At least for me, it wasn't so much the terrain, I could sort of block that out in my mind. It was seeing the leviathans clip through poo poo like assholes. It just, here was the most fearsome foe, and watch is glitch out weeeeeeeeeee. Half Life 2 had physic based objects, how the gently caress is this a thing when I can fit this entire games install on my gpus ram.

Like let them reuse assets, gently caress I'd pay for an ultimate version of the first game with fixed performance. Just someone reuse the assets and the sounds and remake the loving thing in Unreal engine. Whatever it is they are using suuuuuuuucks.
This is the game that's finally making me really wish I had the money to get a VR set-up going. (Well, this and Zone of the Enders.) It's very easy to get lost in the moment.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Tenbux McGee posted:

I realized that at the end of my first run through the game, I somehow never encountered a reaper. I heard one once, right after letting the juvenile sea emperors out into the mountain biome, but never laid eyes on it.

My first encounter with it was during my first play, when one of the memos really early into the game (this was probably around pod 3?) I got dropped a hint about there being something 15 (or 18?) miles in a certain direction. So I packed my lunch, and started swimming in that direction. It was vaguely to the right of the island with all the cool plants. I don't know if I just misread the instructions, or if the game was trolling me, but a good 10-15 miles in I was in the middle of the open ocean and a gigantic reaper gobbled me up in one hit. Did NOT expect one to show up at all, so that startled me a good bunch. Wonder if there is actually a secret location somewhere out there.

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 31, 2019

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Did you just end up past the crater edge? Ghost Leviathans automatically spawn if you go out there.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
I can't wait for a competent studio to rip off Subnautica.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

redleader posted:

Ehhh, as has been mentioned, AAA studios can arguably make worse releases at the $60 price point. :nallears:

The optimization issues are definitely a problem, but also not uncommon at this :airquote: level :airquote: of software development. Personally, my experience with this game (purchased after release) was pretty solid. My play-through only saw 2 or 3 bugs, and each time was more of an interesting tangent than a game-breaking anomaly. I just loaded a previous save to undo the worst problem.
:corsair:

It's not like this is FO4/76 or the original Operation Flashpoint or something. :shrug:

Also, :bandwagon: on pre-purchasing just for :reddit: tears. Can't wait to be whatever combination of minority and marginalized community trying to stop global warming in the ice world pisses them off the most. Hope the character is fully voiced this time so the player cannot ignore these things :f5:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Morphix posted:

I'm mainly just pissed because I told myself that they could get the performance down this time. They had learned from the past. This map wouldn't be a editable like the origional one was first designed to be, and because of this, well performance would get changed. All the things people said on forums with the first early access to excuse it. Surely a big award wining, flush with a bunch of cash could fix the single major flaw that's been plaguing their loving game since day 1.

and than I watched the streams and the outdoor performance is, well it's like when you're swinging with the mech now, and underwater is still as choppy and lod poppy wen you travel too fast.

What have they been doing the past year? gently caress. This is one of my favorite gaming experiences. But I could excuse the performance stuff the first outing, but they're big, couldn't they hire someone to fix their engine, couldn't they get a new loving engine, or just gently caress, something. There is no reason a game that looks like it's a mix of ps2 and ps3 era graphics should run this lovely. There is nothing but blue on the screen sometimes in Subzero and there is noticebly frame drops.

It's like nothing was learned. And we will get to hear the same song and dance number this time around. How this time they will for sure fix the performance. Just give them time, again, because it's early access, again.

I figured this thing would be done by now and I would be buying it. Not doing this early access song and dance thing again.
I'm mostly praying we don't get a repeat of "Well everyone KNOWS *long list of things meant to be in or fixed in Game* is literally impossible in *Engine chosen to make game*".

Or at least avoid it as a capstone to sassing any doubts they would fix such things before launch.

Though it would take an insane level of "People will buy anything" hubris (or naive ignorance) to decide "For our next game, let's double down on needing to solve 'poo poo clips through terrain' '" without being sure they can sort that this time. That goes a long way towards expecting at least the end product state for the expansion to be less rocky than the base game.

Their self claimed status as "Year long veterans, we know exactly what we are doing" or "Just a poor little indie studio with no control over circumstances", like any studio of any paygrade, adjusts itself to fit the press statement. So that part isn't exactly unique to Unknown Worlds. It's Just Business.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 31, 2019

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

redleader posted:

Seriously.

Section Z posted:

I'm mostly praying we don't get a repeat of "Well everyone KNOWS *long list of things meant to be in or fixed in Game* is literally impossible in *Engine chosen to make game*".

Or at least avoid it as a capstone to sassing any doubts they would fix such things before launch.

Though it would take an insane level of "People will buy anything" hubris (or naive ignorance) to decide "For our next game, let's double down on needing to solve 'poo poo clips through terrain' '" without being sure they can sort that this time. That goes a long way towards expecting at least the end product state for the expansion to be less rocky than the base game.

Their self claimed status as "Year long veterans, we know exactly what we are doing" or "Just a poor little indie studio with no control over circumstances", like any studio of any paygrade, adjusts itself to fit the press statement. So that part isn't exactly unique to Unknown Worlds. It's Just Business.

oh that list is defintely gonna happen. joseph andersons video on subnautica touches on this a lot, where fans and games company uses the shield of early access as a catch all for glaring issues.

time and time again early access has, if anything, showed us that these issues never get resolved. if they can't get their core tech working off the bat, no amount of hope and prayer from the fans seems to do it. and I'm not blaming the developers, this is producers and ceos who are the real assholes behind this bullshit new trend of treating their customers like friends and buddies when money needs raising, but as soon as those promises need delivering, well, that's when we get to hear all about how this and that and this and that. Like motherfuckers we all know what you're doing, you're lying to our faces because you thought you would lose revenue if you would be honest. because your poo poo can't stand honest scrutiny. blah, gently caress I'm so pissed about this stupid game. for months I was doing my best to keep completely in the dark about any leaks. unlike subnautica, i didn't want to ruin the atmosphere by seeing the building blocks. because they kept lying about the building blocks. and now it's like, no lessons learned. no capitulation. just clever jokes from the developers about their own loving lazyness in reusing assets in game description. I mean for fucks sake guys. someone had the time to type out a loving clever paragraph, but they didn't have the time to figure out this lore poo poo in the past year or whatever they've said they've been working on this. what the gently caress have they been doing.

alright im done ranting. I've spent too much time in the star citizen thread and it's broken my brain for pre-ordering games.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Ehhh, as has been mentioned, AAA studios can arguably make worse releases at the $60 price point. :nallears:

The optimization issues are definitely a problem, but also not uncommon at this :airquote: level :airquote: of software development. Personally, my experience with this game (purchased after release) was pretty solid. My play-through only saw 2 or 3 bugs, and each time was more of an interesting tangent than a game-breaking anomaly. I just loaded a previous save to undo the worst problem.

the game breaking bugs have definitely gotten better, so credit where credit is due. entire events not trigger are down. but the terrible lod, pop in, the stutters for god knows why, just geometry randomly getting stuck everywhere, leviathans being easily cheesble behind not loaded terrain or whatever.

that's all there, none of that's changed. the studio have claimed it's gotten better but I played the game fairly early in ea and was on a 750ti than, now on a r9 390x. performance is still the same. the game looks much nicer with the added water and post processing smear effects, but when you can't zoom your vehicles at fulll clip within your environments or large parts of the world don't load in time, it's pretty immersion breaking. I mean I learned to do this dolphin hop thing just so I could maximize speed but not see the pop in because I didn't want to break what little immersion I had left. but for this reason I couldn't use the mech, because it's just too fun to swing around on the loving thing, and you get stuck in invisible geomotry once, lost 30 minutes of progress and just say gently caress it, not touching that again.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 31, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
No no, the true security blanket isn't the Early Access period. It's EA's that use an "Experimental build" to go full circular logic.

Why haven't you fixed X in the live build? "They totally fixed it in the experimental!"

Why did claimed to be fixed in experimental bug get ported to live anyways? "It's Early access, what do you expect!"

When WILL it be fixed then? "They totally fixed it in experimental!"

See also: Starbound.

Runner up, Roadmaps. Point to it for anything as "It's on the roadmap! That proves they will do it so stop asking!" When any given roadmap entry is missed or cut, "It's JUST a roadmap, it's not set in stone!"

See also: Starbound, again.

Meanwhile legit "Early Access done right" games like Brigador get hype praise but weak sales :negative:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 31, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I can't wait for another year of Section Z losing his loving marbles over Subnautica not being his perfect game.

Why don't you just take this DLC off. At least until it's complete.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zesty posted:

I can't wait for another year of Section Z losing his loving marbles over Subnautica not being his perfect game.

I don't think Unknown Worlds can top removing UI elements used to prove power bugs existed, so there wouldn't be many more marbles to loose :v:

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Zesty posted:

I mean because there are parts of it that shine like nothing else, it's truly an amazing experience. But to get to that you have to meet the game more than halfway. And this DLC by all known info, seems to be doing an exact repeat of round 1. This time it's just easier because they seem to be reusing a lot of assets.

If this game was whatever, I wouldn't be this irrational upset about a more of the same. But I really like the game, but saying it's not close to perfect isn't even fair, it's not close to okay in terms of how awful it performs. It's awful. it's been awful since day 1, it's awful when it was released free on epic, and now with the dlc, day 1 with nothing but blue abyss on screen the frames are dipping into single digits.

how

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
I am avoiding spoilers about the game so I will not read 217 pages, but I have a VR-related question: Has anybody tried Subnautica in Windows Mixed Reality headsets? Steam store page lists support for Vive and Oculus but not WMR. Will it just not work, work poorly or what? I am getting Lenovo Explorer goggles and controllers soon and Subnautica has a discount for a few days.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I just want to be able to load the game in less than five minutes.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I've been trying to get my wonderful wife to play Subnautica for a while now. This morning, she found Below Zero on Steam and prepurchased it for me. Not going to touch it until its done, but I am a very happy nerd right now.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Wait is the main character going to be talking and doing a narrative in sub-zero? Why?

Yeah plz no. Its so nice not having talking characters. The world usually speaks for itself.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
I just found out they fired the sound designer?! The gently caress

https://kotaku.com/subnautica-dev-fired-over-hateful-statements-1822746373

quote:

The game’s development team also drew political attention in 2016 when Cleveland explained that he wouldn’t be adding guns to the game as a statement against gun violence.

And that they didn't include guns in their games because some statement, and not you know, a good design decision based on the world you created. Subnautica would be terrible if you had weapons to really gently caress with the wildlife (I'm ignoring sun lock knife).

But gently caress, I mean I don't want to start a thing about whether the guy deserved to be fired. I don't give a poo poo other than, gently caress, the sound design is what made this game. Like without this loving dude, what is Subnautica? It's certainly not the graphics or performance, and apparently the lead designer doesn't understand his game enough to know that guns would have made it objectively a worse experience.

I guess games like Subnautica really are just flash in the pan type experiences. Everything lined up perfectly once and we got something cool. Ya count me in the, going dark about the game until launch.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
We don't need that toxicity in the industry. There are talented individuals that can take his place, and that they did.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The composer and sound designer from FTL has replaced him.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

A few impressions from the first couple of hours of Below Zero (no actual spoilers, just general impressions)

They're definitely going for a less isolated feeling. Your character speaks (and has people to speak to).
Performance is definitely choppy, hopefully will be improved soon.
Resource game is more or less the same. Some resources have been swapped out but for the most part it's a like for like swap (acid mushrooms are swapped for ribbon plants, but both grow in similar frequency/areas so its mostly just an aesthetic swap)
Fauna is swapped around pretty starkly. A lot of the small fish are the same but beyond that there's been substantial changes.
Shallows/surface seems very minimal, and the inclusion of several methods of replacing O2 while underwater makes me think this is going to be a more vertical then horizontal game area.
This is definitely EARLY access. Not missing anything by holding off for later updates/full release

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

quote:

Ya count me in the, going dark about the game until launch.

Thank goodness.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

MikeJF posted:

OH hell ya! That game has great little sound stuff. Hopefully he can step up to the challange but ya that certainly puts me at ease a bit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

redleader posted:

I'm still waiting for a competent studio to rip off Minecraft.

AAA studios these days don't do innovation. They don't even do ripping off someone else's innovation.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They did. It's called Terraria.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Unfortunately terraria doesn't allow me to do first person factorio so it's a bit of a failure in the minecraft clone dept.

Fortunately, factorio works just fine as a 3rd person factorio so it's ok.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I played through the EA

I didn't do a bunch of exploring, just mostly got through the story.

It has some pretty cool moments. Like when the starting base gets crushed by ice. Obviously still needs polished, but it was a cool scene regardless. It was a very big event, although not as huge as the Aurora blowing up of course.

There is a lot more story compared to the first, and it's not as optional. With the small story so far, there's only one or two moments where you can decide to not progress. Once you do a main trigger event, the story just happens. "hmm let me think on that a few minutes" *5 minutes later while you are swimming around* "okay here's the next bit of the story" I preferred the radio message story progression of the main game. I do like the supply drops, and how they become your new markers instead of the emergency pods.

The voice acting is already well done. There's similar humor to the main game, and new stuff too, without relying on self-referential jokes.

The new biomes are awesome. I appreciate that they really utilize depth much more than the main game. Exploring is wayyyy more 3-dimensional once you get past the safe shallows area. I got lost a few times, and had a fun moment of blacking out from lack of oxygen as I just found an alien base and just barely made it before dying.

I have a beefy computer, but even still, there are weird jittering issues in a few areas. It's really freaky to see a shark stop, then go 5x speed around you. Entering/exiting the water in the main game takes a second to render everything for me, and it's only slightly better here, but at least it looks like some work is being done towards it. Pop-ins seem less frequent, but that might just be from the world being tighter and more cluttered, so you can't see as far.

Overall, I'm happy with it and it seems to be going in the right direction.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Truga posted:

Unfortunately terraria doesn't allow me to do first person factorio so it's a bit of a failure in the minecraft clone dept.

Fortunately, factorio works just fine as a 3rd person factorio so it's ok.

Have you tried the insanity that is FortressCraft? It's first person minecraft/factorio all the way through.

Also already preordered because I never learn my lesson.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Below Zero stuff:

Did they reduce the swim speed of the small fish or increase the range at which you can grab stuff or something? For some reason catching fish by hand isn't nearly as annoying as it was in Subnautica.

Also, a tip: For some reason you can't manufacture the base building tool (at least not yet), but instead you're given one in a supply drop. Be careful with it, because if you accidentally drop or lose it (like the streamer I was watching yesterday night), you're not getting a new one.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Morphix posted:

Like without this loving dude, what is Subnautica? It's certainly not the graphics or performance

As good as the sound is, the gameplay is what makes the game great. And so far Below Zero has several examples of cool and creepy sounds, so I’m not worried.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004
Question - I'm 20h into my playthrough. Will installing mods at this point bork my game? I love the Subnautica experience but some parts of it are just tedious as hell - I was thinking of installing mods to make the quickbar bigger, easycraft mod... and maybe a map. good/bad idea?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

CerebralDonut posted:

Question - I'm 20h into my playthrough. Will installing mods at this point bork my game? I love the Subnautica experience but some parts of it are just tedious as hell - I was thinking of installing mods to make the quickbar bigger, easycraft mod... and maybe a map. good/bad idea?

Personally I suggest skipping the map, but that is a big source of contention itt. The other mods are 100% yes and shouldn't mess with your save.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Oh wow! I love Ben Prunty, he's very distinctive. His style doesn't sound totally like the original title's soundtrack, but I'm open to seeing what this new one turns out like.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Personally I suggest skipping the map, but that is a big source of contention itt. The other mods are 100% yes and shouldn't mess with your save.

Great. Do you have any other mods you'd recommend I check out?

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

CerebralDonut posted:

Great. Do you have any other mods you'd recommend I check out?

EasyCraft makes the game tolerable for me for multiple playthroughs. I can't be bothered to play "member where you put a thing" with an ever increasing amount of materials.

I think the Mapmod is neat after you feel like you've explored enough, but it does sort of create that thing that Skyrim/fallout 3 do, where you stare at the map marker too much, you'll find yourself navigating by map a lot, and you won't travel by visual bookmarks, which sort of forces you to pay attention to your area.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I've been building a base in a pretty deep spot, ~850m in the Lost River, right by the giant skull. Found some thermal vents and stopped faffing about with bio-reactor materials. I had a scanner room set up near the non-gun island, saw that it just plunged down from there. I had been using another entrance, but took a dive on faith and figured out how they all connected underneath.

I did make one giant mistake. Shuffling the base around to get close enough to the thermal vents, I deconstructed a Scanner room. With 4x distance upgrades inside. As far as I can tell, they're just gone :/ Gotta scrape up some more Magnetite now.

While I had a intermittently-powered long-distance scanner room, I did get together enough Nickel for the Cyclops depth upgrade. My plan now is to get it stuffed with materials, upgraded enough to get down to that base, and build it out with all the fancy stuff (Moonpool, Observatory, etc.). I am sad that I'm at the limit of the Seamoth, so much easier to tool around in that than the suit or big boy.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Gotta wonder how long it'll be before we start seeing the Chinese knockoffs.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I STILL haven't found any Prawn arms and it's starting to get annoying and discouraging, because I don't feel safe going back down into the deeper parts of the map without a way to properly fight back against the monsters down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

PMush Perfect posted:

I STILL haven't found any Prawn arms and it's starting to get annoying and discouraging, because I don't feel safe going back down into the deeper parts of the map without a way to properly fight back against the monsters down there.

You can punch them with the default arms