Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I would like a Noir Batman to take place in the 1920s-30s and have Reviewbrah/Report of the Week dude from YouTube take on the Bruce Wayne/Batman detective mantle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He was already a part of a supersized team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOssQGcd_pY

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I don't understand why there is going to be another Suicide Squad in the first place. No one wanted the first one, and no one liked it. Suicide Squad was a god awful movie. While it made a profit, it didn't bring in note worthy box office numbers.
suicide squad is a fake movie, no one liked it, everyone knows marvel is better, SAD

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The limited edition Suicide Squad Joker and Harley PUBG skins only went off sale yesterday.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

McCloud posted:

look, it's early, I skimmed the discussion, and I hadn't had my coffee, mea culpa.

I mean, I still stand by it as a general statement that popularity does not denote quality in any way because far too many people think box office records has a correlation with quality,, but that's not really related to the discussion going on here so oops.

It's bizarre stating SS wasn't popular though, considering how batshit craycray people went for Harley. Like, it was so well received it's getting a sequel and a spinoff with BoP (i think it's a spinoff at least)

Seems like I'm the one who has to apologize, the "they" in my post was referring to I said come in! and I should have made that clear. I absolutely agree with you.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Domestically, Suicide Squad made only 5 million less than Batman V Superman.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Do a batman movie where he doesn’t use gadgets,batatang and rope,maybe a smoke bomb,do it you cowards.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

June 25, 2021 has been picked for The Batman release, Affleck won't be returning.

August 6, 2021 is the release date for Gunn's SS reboot.
Pass.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

:same: What remaining interest I had in the DCEU will probably be gone after 2020.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Can't wait...a movie about how swell and good Batman is. *yawns so hard my jaw breaks*

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Brother Entropy posted:

harley quinn was the costume that halloween, get outta here with that 'no one liked it'

Excuse me, "sexy insane clown (female)" was. :haw:

(male, of course, was Pennywise)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nickelsmarts the make-up circus performer

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Beyond sold please. On the second one. First one I can leave behind like a stale donut.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Can't wait...a movie about how swell and good Batman is. *yawns so hard my jaw breaks*

I love the idea that Batman can be Noir and truly be the World's Greatest Detective, since the whole loving premise of Noir is that the protagonist thinks he's a lot smarter and more connected then he really is and spends the movie getting lessons in their own powerlessness. Not exactly something you can slot Batman into.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I love the idea that Batman can be Noir and truly be the World's Greatest Detective, since the whole loving premise of Noir is that the protagonist thinks he's a lot smarter and more connected then he really is and spends the movie getting lessons in their own powerlessness. Not exactly something you can slot Batman into.

The last great noir story was Archer season 8

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
The only thing that interests me about either of those movies are the directors. Batman in particular seems to have been re-trod so many times. What new thing is Matt Reeves going to bring to the table on it? But he’s a good director so we’ll see.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Well you totally can, you just have to be willing. In Batman: Year One he spends half the story in over his head and Catwoman is a far more competent athlete and adventurer. In the original Batman stories, he is knocked unconscious and jumped by a couple of guys on a regular basis, it's practically the canonical explanation for why Robin is necessary.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Well you totally can, you just have to be willing. In Batman: Year One he spends half the story in over his head and Catwoman is a far more competent athlete and adventurer. In the original Batman stories, he is knocked unconscious and jumped by a couple of guys on a regular basis, it's practically the canonical explanation for why Robin is necessary.

Repeated concussions is a decent explanation of why Batman thought enlisting his child in a war on crime was a good idea.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Batsolutely but the way the World's Greatest Detective poo poo tends to play out is with BatGod having All the Plans. I guess what I'm saying is I hope that the "noir" isn't just Deep Shadows and Pretty Ladies in Nice Dresses pasted over a typical power fantasy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Batsolutely but the way the World's Greatest Detective poo poo tends to play out is with BatGod having All the Plans. I guess what I'm saying is I hope that the "noir" isn't just Deep Shadows and Pretty Ladies in Nice Dresses pasted over a typical power fantasy

After the Ape Moses trilogy I'm willing to take a ride with Matt Reeves, I definitely don't think he'll just do pastiche.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Brother Entropy posted:

idk where that article got 'rebooted' from, there's no signs it's anything but a normal-rear end sequel

Now confirmed by THR

quote:

The pic has the title of The Suicide Squad and is not being labeled a direct sequel but as a relaunch. The 2016 original movie featured the characters Deadshot, Harley Quinn, the Joker, Captain Boomerang and Killer Croc, who are forced into the service of the government in exchange for lighter prison sentences.

Sources say that Gunn’s focus is to take the franchise in a new direction with a mostly all-new cast of characters and actors. Sources also say that the project is also very much rooted in Gunn’s vibe, as seen in the Guardians movies.

Charles Roven and Peter Safran will produce the feature. Zack Snyder and Deborah Snyder are acting as executive producers.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/james-gunn-talks-direct-suicide-squad-sequel-1181436

The best part though, is that the Snyders will be producing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Eh, EP'ing is basically a vanity title. Unless you think Secretary of the Treasury Steve Mnuchin was actually on set for all the Batman films.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Just let me dream :smith:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Aren't Gunn and Snyder already buddies tho? At the very least it makes sense for Gunn to get his perspective on working with WB since he is coming from a different corporate environment. Not that that means all that much either but I could see there being more involvement than the typical EP credit.

We also know that Wan also met with Snyder for Aquaman to keep the vision of the character consistent, and he had similar input on WW and SS. Weirdly, it seems like a bunch of people in the actual industry have a lot of respect for the guy.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I've always been a little iffy on Snyder's politics but the fact that not a single peep of a #MeToo moment came out about him and the universal positive feelings of everyone who has worked with him is good. Pair that with his intentional ambiguity of message and I'm willing to give him a chance.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Pretty sure the whole premise of Noir is to be black and white and take place in the 30s or somewhere around there.

Not to mention you're describing a ton of Batman stories with that description of Noir. Tower of Babel immediately springs to mind. OMAC.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Pretty sure the whole premise of Noir is to be black and white and take place in the 30s or somewhere around there.

Yes, if you've never watched any actual Noir this is what the takeaway is, because those are what the defining films look like on a superficial level.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Looking forward to the scene in suicide squad where they brutally murder a few dozen people set to a jaunty tune played for laughs. Good grief.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

McCloud posted:

Looking forward to the scene in suicide squad where they brutally murder a few dozen people set to a jaunty tune played for laughs. Good grief.

Think they'll use Bohemian Rhapsody again?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

McCloud posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnic9pkmuHs

????

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Suicide Squad's greatest accomplishment is making Jai Courtney come across as borderline interesting.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

They're the bad guys. It's what they do.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

josh04 posted:

They're the bad guys. It's what they do.

yeah, for all of that movies problems it's at least far more honest about the squad being bad people. gunn's guardians films are all over the drat place

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timby posted:

Suicide Squad's greatest accomplishment is making Jai Courtney come across as borderline interesting.

I have faith one movie he’ll do will be good. Heck Sam Worthington was p good in Sabotage. I think. It’s been years since I’ve watched it.

David Ayer make good movies again

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there a General Cod in Aquaman and if not why not

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

"Well, mister, I've known some pretty wrong ones in my time; right now you make 'em all look like putty." :j:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'd be ok if WB/DC comes full circle with Armie Hammer and casts him as the new Batman. I thought he and Cavill paired well on screen in The Man from Uncle.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Are you referencing the 40 odd seconds of Harley fighting off some weird mindless monster putties and comparing that to the 3 minutes of brutal slaughter of normal people? (well, you know what I mean)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXbFP2V_zSA

Because boy howdy I don't really think those compare at all!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They aren’t normal people. They were led by an angry evil dude who decided to take charge over Yondu’s crew because he was too soft on the Guardians.

Taser face and his crew killed anyone who didn’t join him, in a horrific and awful way by shooting them out into space while Yondu watched, unable to do anything.

Then they proceeded to torture and harass baby Groot.

I mean, it’s a big ol revenge scene. They’re killing the bad guys in the context of the film. People who were hell bent on killing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It’s a good scene but that’s because it’s incredibly disturbing. It’s revelling in the slaughter.