Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I figure fascism falls along some sometimes odd demographic trends because its deliberately schizophrenic rhetoric exploits various things; the rich love the opportunity to make bank off military contracts, slave labour and getting rid of those pesky regulations, the poor are tricked into believing they're poor because of the local scapegoat minority that they'll get to slaughter, and the temporarily embarrassed millionaires are a mix of the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1091046211505872896

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

"Ukrainian Comedy" sounds like the world's most depressing comedy.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

can't wait for him to fail miserably as president so that nazis take power in the next election

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

get that OUT of my face posted:

can't wait for him to fail miserably as president so that nazis take power in the next election

way to ruin the punchline

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

The far right party in the Ukrainian parliament control 21 of 450 seats but sure thing my dude.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

All the Nazis are in crimea my dude. They don't vote in Ukrainian elections.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Byolante posted:

they're out on the streets, though. nazis are an inevitable everywhere in the world at this point

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Grape posted:

"Ukrainian Comedy" sounds like the world's most depressing comedy.

but doctor, i am pagliasky

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

My Ukrainian friend says that he's almost certainly controlled by oligarchs and that people are comparing him to Reagan because he is also an actor. He's never been in politics though

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

they're out on the streets, though. nazis are an inevitable everywhere in the world at this point

I'm starting to get a feeling every flicker in the shadows is a nazi to some people now.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Byolante posted:

Are you aware of the azov battalion

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Byolante posted:

I'm starting to get a feeling every flicker in the shadows is a nazi to some people now.

I'm starting to get the feeling you're not paying attention to the state of the world

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm nazi

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im not a nazi but i want to destroy the world

<-- gentle giant

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

looks like it's Spain's turn to give the far-right some power. lol that their party is called Vox and that the other right-wing parties aren't even pretending to write them off

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

tbf the far right never went out of power in spain. the partido popular was founded by 'good' falangists and even the bourgeois parties on the left are chickenshit on undoing anything franco did

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

belgend posted:

tbf the far right never went out of power in spain. the partido popular was founded by 'good' falangists and even the bourgeois parties on the left are chickenshit on undoing anything franco did
i like that international observers say that it's staved off the far-right so far because it had a fascist dictatorship in recent memory, which completely erases this fact and the fact that a lot of memories of Franco are good ones. i did see that the current government wants Franco's body exhumed before the April elections

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Which is weird bc the opposite argument is done on Portugal's case, even on papers like the NYT cheering Antonio Costa's policies.

Iniciativa Liberal still trying to get relevant, but good luck on a press that's starting to warm up to AOC, even if it involves comparing her to Winston Churchill and barely saying anything about her stated policies.

Kunster has issued a correction as of 11:20 on Feb 18, 2019

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Spain, and to a lesser degree, Portugal, prove that when you finally overthrow the fascists, you put those fuckers against a wall.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Spain is going to get fascists soon. gently caress.

That's the first general election I am going to be able to vote in, too.

For reference, in 2012 or so the (then) two main parties put so many bureaucratic obstacles on absentee voting that now it's nigh impossible. You have to pre-register and by simply forcing every pre-registration letter to go through a specific madrid post.office you guarantee almost everybody gets it AFTER the election.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

hey Dawnclock, what's with the explicit misogyny among the right in Spain? reading Vox's platform against the violence against women law is like reading something written by incels (it probably was)

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

hey Dawnclock, what's with the explicit misogyny among the right in Spain? reading Vox's platform against the violence against women law is like reading something written by incels (it probably was)

Man, kill me if I know.

Here are some ideas though from the top of my head: Franco's dictatorship was misoginistic af and relied very heavily on the catholic church. Not just any catholic church, the catholic church that invented Opus Dei and these equally brainwashy group of folks. Legend has it that the results of the Vatican II council were something Franco got very, very mad about.
You know the whole Nazi "Küche, Kirche, Kinder" ? That was an idea promoted by the Franco regime right until his death.

And here's the thing: it lasted until 1975. New ideas have had less time to take root, and now the reactionary wave is here. Oh, that and the catholic church is still going on about how a woman's place is in the house.

That includes delightful side dishes as "Well, they were just young men, she was out and drunk she should have been more careful..." If you combine all of that with the fact that toxic masculinity is tangible in Spain, well, you can get the picture. Like, it's obviously getting better but there's still a LOT of "Men don't cry/She's mine/Whoever doesnt X is a fag" in Spain.

This was a massive problem back when there was only the conservative party. It used to be said we had no hard right, but that was innacurate. The conservative party was a catchall that had everything from the mythical reasonable conservative to the crazy fundies, the racists and the free marketeers. Now that you have the party for old religious fucks (PP), the party of "I'm super right wing but I want to look socially progressive) (C's) and the party of "Let's say the quiet part out loud" (Vox), of course poo poo looks worse. Because all of a sudden the quiet part is being said out loud, re: women, but also foreigners and anyone disadvantaged. Because make no mistake, the three parties agree 100% on the "Privatize everything for pennies, no help from society for you" platform.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
Greetings fellow euro-sufferers.

Do any of you know of good places that discuss Europe through a generally left-leaning framework? My tolerance for mainstream media has reached it's limit.
I'm fine with papers and/or other dead gay forums.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Do any of you know of good places that discuss Europe through a generally left-leaning framework? My tolerance for mainstream media has reached it's limit.

In which languages?

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
I can read portuguese, spanish and english fluently, but could also do some light reading in french and article tidbits in italian.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

I can read portuguese, spanish and english fluently, but could also do some light reading in french and article tidbits in italian.

I don't know anything about Spanish/Portuguese. For French you should ask in the Gilets jaune-thread but Mediapart is good for investigative work, I'm not qualified to give advice on French journals/weeklies but look where writers you find interesting put their pieces.

As for English I like the LRB a lot. Then Salvage, n+1, Endnotes and Viewpoint for that C-SPAM flavour. Some people like the Jacobin (which also has an Italian edition?) but I find it so-so.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jacobin is worth reading but they're pretty hit-or-miss when assessing international movements.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Morning Star, l'Humanité, Junge Welt and Solidair.e are pretty good. For Portuguese I'd go with Avante, for Spanish I'd just stick w whatever Euro desk TeleSUR has

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Eldiario.es and El Salto Diario are both good

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
Thanks for the suggestion you all!!!

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Jacobin also has recently opened (as in, they're publishing their second issue rn) in Italy, for what it's worth.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/damoladejobi/status/1106179956927877122?s=20

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Yeah the colonial wars Mussolini started were cool and good, actually.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Mikl posted:

Yeah the colonial wars Mussolini started were cool and good, actually.

Didn't they lose miserably?

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Well, Italy is still trying to occupy Libya

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They won by dropping poison gas all over Ethiopia.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
It seems like the last line of defense for fascists is always 'But they built infrastructure!!'

Funny thing is the modern ones can't even manage that.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Libya was already an Italian colony, only Italy had pretty much given up on controlling it so Mussolini "pacified" it. Then he started and won a conquest war against Ethiopia. And then he annexed Albania.

All of these were before Racial Laws and World War II, which Tajani said "were Mussolini's only mistakes". So colonialism is good! Who knew!

Then WWII started and Italy got her rear end kicked real bad, because they were fighting against modern armies.

Tajani is a right motherfucker who's trying to go "fascism was good, actually".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Italy got owned to hell and back the first time they invaded Ethiopia in the 1890s. When they tried again in the 1930s they bombed and gassed their way to victory

Also Italy got Libya by sniping it from a dying ottoman empire that considered Libya a peripheral region at best

They tried to invade greece and got owned until the Nazis showed up too

Italy does not have a good track record in colonial conquest