Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
The thin story "justification" in keeping Raph a slave is that if she isn't, she can be legally killed for being a beastkin, who have no rights and are exterminated on sight. If she stays a slave, she's the legal property of a citizen and so has a modicum of protection. (I think this is also a plot point in some of the Gor books, which shows where the author's head is at.)

The princess being a huge racist rear end in a top hat is just reflecting the mores of her surroundings.

The other Japanese heroes don't have a problem with this initially, which may be part of an underlying message about multiculturism. Ultimately they do (sort of) mitigate their positions. Oh, uh, spoilers.

All the redpill-y stuff is still a giant turd though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mordaedil posted:

I am going entirely off of memory of a manga I read over a year ago, I am not watching this show because I have better things to read or watch.

Speaking of comedy, I recommend reading Sleeping Princess in Demon Lords castle for hijinks of a kidnapped princess being a bigger bother and threat to the demon lord than the Hero of the story, in her quest for perfect bedding and good naps.

I love that she unintentionally makes the hero's assault harder by damaging the wind shield and all of the monsters come to fear her for always killing some of them for parts for pillows and bedsheets.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mirage posted:

The thin story "justification" in keeping Raph a slave is that if she isn't, she can be legally killed for being a beastkin, who have no rights and are exterminated on sight. If she stays a slave, she's the legal property of a citizen and so has a modicum of protection. (I think this is also a plot point in some of the Gor books, which shows where the author's head is at.)

The princess being a huge racist rear end in a top hat is just reflecting the mores of her surroundings.

The other Japanese heroes don't have a problem with this initially, which may be part of an underlying message about multiculturism. Ultimately they do (sort of) mitigate their positions. Oh, uh, spoilers.

All the redpill-y stuff is still a giant turd though.

*takes aim at the back of your head and pulls the trigger*

I'm going to be killing one of you every 6 hours until somebody brings Mangadex back.

There are no games anymore.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Thats right, this is a high risk hostage scenario thread now, no sudden moves!!

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Gun Hero finally revealed himself

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2865KVcRnQ

Mod make this autoplay.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm hoping this whole series is one big honeypot and everyone who enjoys this is on some sort of watchlist

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/danielsanslions/status/1090800174157447169?s=21

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

How come everyone is up in arms over the positive depiction of slavery in shield hero but not the positive depiction of slavery in kakegurui?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Sharkopath posted:

*takes aim at the back of your head and pulls the trigger*

*spirit rises from body*

Yeah, I deserved that.

*dissipates on the wind*

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Pewdiepie posted:

How come everyone is up in arms over the positive depiction of slavery in shield hero but not the positive depiction of slavery in kakegurui?

Fetishes

Darth Walrus posted:

IIRC, the princess is a fragment of an evil goddess who's the story's main villain, and she's playing her dad, which is why he eventually gets redeemed and she... uhh... doesn't.

So she's a bitch elemental? Explains why she's so one-dimensional.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Pewdiepie posted:

because people have actually heard of the former

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i'm pretty sure the kingdom he's in has a literal state religion where the shield hero is considered the devil so that's also part of why everyone treats him like poo poo

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pewdiepie posted:

:hai:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Looked up Kakegurui. Other than gambling what is it about since I've legit never heard of it and have no context to what anyone is talking about in that regard.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

This is such a frustrating show.

Inscrutable enemies being assholes for no reason.
Defending the slavery. I mean it's one thing to have slavery as part of your world building, and you can even have it and the characters be completely okay with it. Any story set in ancient Rome would be like this. That's not the issue. It's that they're literally transporting people from OUR world where its obstinately illegal and understood to be repellent, are then presented as the dumb bumpkins who don't know what they're talking about.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

Looked up Kakegurui. Other than gambling what is it about since I've legit never heard of it and have no context to what anyone is talking about in that regard.

It's mostly just really horny in an offputting way

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's praxis

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Nitrousoxide posted:

This is such a frustrating show.

Inscrutable enemies being assholes for no reason.

Oh, you haven't seen anything yet. You just wait until that pope guy gets going.

This is the general pattern of the story: the whole world is against Naofumi, the persecution just keeping scaling up. Then the world bends over backwards to give him a chance to make amends, but he throws a temper tantrum and ruins everything for himself. The only times he is able to find some peace is when a woman is literally kneeling before him and acknowledging his greatness.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, thanks! :dance:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Motto posted:

It's praxis

i love sim city

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wark Say posted:

Best Digimon was the one with a bancho middle-schooler who was constantly punching both peeps and digimons alike. Plus a Bancholeomon.

As for hero concepts: Hero who uses armored toes for cheap crotch shots.

As a teen I liked Digimon Savers quite a bit, but when I rewatched it a year ago, I found that it didn't hold up nearly as well as Tamers or even Adventure-mainly due to the lack of character development, especially on Masaru and Yoshino's ends. Also the ending doesn't really make much sense in retrospect. But I do have to agree that Bancholeomon rules and Kurata is a great villain to hate

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

How the gently caress does someone watch that and unironicly nod along?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Junpei Hyde posted:

It's mostly just really horny in an offputting way

Some deja by kicking in now. This got discussed in one of the other threads. Some weird creepy poo poo goes down

Maxwell Adams posted:

Oh, you haven't seen anything yet. You just wait until that pope guy gets going.

This is the general pattern of the story: the whole world is against Naofumi, the persecution just keeping scaling up. Then the world bends over backwards to give him a chance to make amends, but he throws a temper tantrum and ruins everything for himself. The only times he is able to find some peace is when a woman is literally kneeling before him and acknowledging his greatness.

"I am sickened, but curious."
—Johnny Bravo

Like I know he creates a sort of town for beast people and aren't they all slave marked because of the previous thing? I'm also aware from previous discussions of the other creepy poo poo involving the queen and younger princess. I am curious about the ruining things for himself part since that would actually be an interesting development in terms of reflection and Heel Realization which I'm 100% sure they hosed up, but am curious how.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It's like if someone dropkicked a Jew to the ground, seig heil-ed, then helped the person they just dropkicked back on their feet, then you as a bystander go, "Aw, how sweet of him."

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

if you're so nice, why don't you own a slave?

checkmate, abolitionists

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm hoping this whole series is one big honeypot and everyone who enjoys this is on some sort of watchlist

No, this thread is a honeypot for the bad posts, at the end of this season the mod is going to probate everyone who has actually watched this, particularly those who watch every episode. This I promise

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

heck, i'll say it, shield hero is probably a bad show

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

It’s about gambling and slavery.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

I rarely see people bat an eye when the anime student council has power to rival the actual government.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Nobody bats an eye when a normal person breaks an expensive piece of crockery in an absurdly large anime mansion and is blackmailed into a life of servitude in order to repay the debt and wacky hijinks ensue

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Wallrod posted:

Nobody bats an eye when a normal person breaks an expensive piece of crockery in an absurdly large anime mansion and is blackmailed into a life of servitude in order to repay the debt and wacky hijinks ensue

KISS KISS FALL IN LOVE

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I just can't believe that rich people would use their wealth to economically exploit others.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Every time I see someone try to defend this by arguing on the basis of the setting rules or whatever I just think of that one comic about the guy who dresses up as a flower and begs people to piss on him

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Every time I see someone try to defend this by arguing on the basis of the setting rules or whatever I just think of that one comic about the guy who dresses up as a flower and begs people to piss on him

Somebody wrote a manga about you? Lol.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
She's convinced me, I'm moving to Libya and starting a child slave army.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Julias posted:

As a teen I liked Digimon Savers quite a bit, but when I rewatched it a year ago, I found that it didn't hold up nearly as well as Tamers or even Adventure-mainly due to the lack of character development, especially on Masaru and Yoshino's ends. Also the ending doesn't really make much sense in retrospect. But I do have to agree that Bancholeomon rules and Kurata is a great villain to hate

The best part about savers is how Ikuto speaks broken japanese, and the fansubs I was watching had him speaking in broken english. When I asked a friend why she just said "well he was raised by digimon, duh" and when I asked which digimon spoke in broken japanese she got really quiet.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I've had to explain what diagetic means to far too many people because of this show.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

your images stolen from the twitter replies won't get past me, Subtweet Hero

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

ViggyNash posted:

How the gently caress does someone watch that and unironicly nod along?
america is full of temporarily embarrassed slave masters