Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you currently have a prepaid utility meter?
This poll is closed.
Yes - both gas and electric 32 4.71%
Yes - gas only 4 0.59%
Yes - electric only 33 4.85%
Yes - plus prepaid water (this exists and is terrible) 0 0%
No - Direct Debit/Standing Order 336 49.41%
No - utilities are included as part of my tenancy/cohab/basement goonery 65 9.56%
No - I'm off-grid or still get a coal man 6 0.88%
No - my house is powered by Pressurized Boiling Hot Takes 67 9.85%
Pissflaps - via some sort of treadmill arrangement 137 20.15%
Total: 680 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

sudo rm -rf posted:

what sizes?
Typically 1 pint, 2 pints (or 1 litre), 4 pints (or 2 litres) and 6 pints (or 3 litres). Trouble with the litre sizes is that they're a bit smaller than their pint equivalents - and that may not be reflected in their prices.

There's a certain collection of photos featuring a rather dispirited Tim Farron modelling one of the 2 pinters, I'm sure someone can post one of them.

e: oh boy, page snipe. Uh..

also for dog tax, don't know how to embed this but https://gfycat.com/gregariousdevotedarachnid

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Paul.Power posted:

Typically 1 pint, 2 pints (or 1 litre), 4 pints (or 2 litres) and 6 pints (or 3 litres). Trouble with the litre sizes is that they're a bit smaller than their pint equivalents - and that may not be reflected in their prices.

There's a certain collection of photos featuring a rather dispirited Tim Farron modelling one of the 2 pinters, I'm sure someone can post one of them.

UK pints are 568ml

US pints are 473ml

btw also US and UK gallons re different sizes too.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
I haven’t had milk in a long time but yeah it’s pints. Dunno why because I only know metric

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Statue of Mags gonna get the Jebediah Springfield treatment in short order.

(but the cutter feels no guilt and goes about their life)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JFairfax posted:

UK pints are 568ml

US pints are 473ml

Beers are always so disappointingly sized in the States.

But then the whiskey pours are loving huge, so swings and roundabouts

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

kustomkarkommando posted:

Ah yes I'm sure Ireland would love to join a common commercial area with the UK considering almost half of Ireland's exports are pharmeticuals with a huge amount going to the EU, with total exports with the EU being almost 5 times higher than the UK.

I'm sure all the big pharma companies that have deliberately made Ireland their European base would love that idea

It's almost as bad as John Humphrys or an MP (one of the two anyway) the other day, trying to demand that Ireland should also come out of the EU to solve the backstop problem.
It's such a "What the actual gently caress are you really that loving stupid!?" :psyduck:

These people still literally believe that Britain is the lord and master of loving everywhere, and that Ireland, "Oh well, it's part of the UK, and we let it pretend it's its own state, but now it's just being tiresome by not immediately helping us solve the problem we've created."

[e]:

Paul.Power posted:

Milk Pervert Tim Farron ~ Anon Photographer.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 31, 2019

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

in the states it's either gallon or half-gallon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I always knew it as litres and got confused when someone asked if we had any six pint milks at work.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Failed Imagineer posted:

when you buy a draft beer in the uk is it always in pints? in the us it's usually in ounces, and sizes offered can vary by restaurant

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

like a 12oz or 16oz beer would be pretty standard, but then some places serve as high as 32oz beers.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.

sudo rm -rf posted:

when you buy a draft beer in the uk is it always in pints? in the us it's usually in ounces, and sizes offered can vary by restaurant

You can have a half pint. You could also ask for 568ml but they’ll look at you funny

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Failed Imagineer posted:

You have the miwk taken from cows in the south, and taken from cows in the north, put together in the same factory, and then, it is mixed together with whiskey, and comes out as MIIIIWWWKKK

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Pints and halves

Some ale pubs do thirds and schooners (2/3rds)

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

sudo rm -rf posted:

Occasionally someone will risk social ostracism, and order a half-pint.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

US drink sizes are weird cos y'all seem to start at pints and finish at buckets.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Soylent Yellow posted:

Occasionally someone will risk social ostracism, and order a half-pint.

Good bants with the lads, order a lady pint, they might call you bent, maybe delete you from the WhatsApp group, never invite you out again, chat poo poo about you. Good bants.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JFairfax posted:

UK pints are 568ml

US pints are 473ml

But 8 pints in both cases. Just that one's based on a 16oz pint and one on a 20oz, which goes back to wet and dry measures.

But nobody calls the milk jugs pint, quart, half gallon in the UK even though those units exist.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

My current favourite pub is a beer pub, that also brews on site.

They have an "assumed" size, e.g. if you order Beer A, it'll be a pint unless you say otherwise, but Beer B will be a half or whatever, but they do 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 and a pint, so there's lots of variation.
And because they do all those sizes already, it means i you only want 1/3 of something, you can even if it's not the default, you nust need to ask/specify when ordering.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Time to play train for brexit in sunless skies!

edit: lmao train

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

sudo rm -rf posted:

yeah because US is full of loving wankers who serve you rip off shite beer full of hopps that tastes like potpourri

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Borrovan posted:

The actual best way of packaging milk is those thin disposable bags that you put in a reusable jug. The problem is, they're not economically viable to produce, because no fucker buys them. Turns out free market economics is actually not great for the environment??

(assuming you mean these)

This is something that absolutely puzzled me when I moved over here. In South America, sachets are THE main form people buy milk in - because it's generally cheaper, around 30% cheaper than the cardboard tetra paks I think, it's been a while.

Here, they don't even exist, I haven't seen a single one. How is it that it's cheaper in South America, but not cheaper here? I'd think plastic costs are close to being the same everywhere in this day and age. Or are they cheaper, but no one wants to buy them because reasons?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm just jonesing for the eventual PS4 Sunless Skies release.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

ok so sometimes you'll see british pints over here, then

we just know it as a 20oz beer.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

This is something that absolutely puzzled me when I moved over here. In South America, sachets are THE main form people buy milk in - because it's generally cheaper, around 30% cheaper than the cardboard tetra paks I think, it's been a while.

Here, they don't even exist, I haven't seen a single one. How is it that it's cheaper in South America, but not cheaper here? I'd think plastic costs are close to being the same everywhere in this day and age. Or are they cheaper, but no one wants to buy them because reasons?

We have MPs calling for us to return to glass bottles and you're wondering why people won't buy something that's not even rigid itself to sit in the fridge.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sudo rm -rf posted:

ok so sometimes you'll see british pints over here, then

we just know it as a 20oz beer.

Love to be an Irish guy drinking a Guinness in NYC from a sad little 16oz glass, which tastes vaguely like meat. Bad times

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

Nobody here has a milk jug unless you're old. You would need to get people to buy the jugs before you can sell them the bags.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Pochoclo posted:

Coffee shops use these, but that's probably because of the sheer volume that an empty plastic milk bottle occupies (about a third of my recycle bin probably). I'd buy the poo poo out of them if they sold them here. Anything that means I don't fill up my bin daily.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

Nobody here has a milk jug unless you're old. You would need to get people to buy the jugs before you can sell them the bags.

You don't need a jug, you just buy one of these

They'd be like 50p here at most and they last years.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

a considerable portion of the british population wants to bring back imperial measurements and metal dustbins so getting them to give up on bottled milk just isn't gonna happen no matter how sensible it is

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

Yeah but it's got foreign on it, who knows what's in it. Could be leeches.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah you’re missing a trick owl, you don’t pour it in to another container (which you’d have to constantly clean), it sits in a little caddy jug thing and you cut a corner. When your done you bin the plastic bag and it’s tiny. we had it in Canada it’s pretty flawless.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

Even still, you need to sell them to people, and it'd be different so people would hate it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CoolCab posted:

yeah you’re missing a trick owl, you don’t pour it in to another container (which you’d have to constantly clean), it sits in a little caddy jug thing and you cut a corner. When your done you bin the plastic bag and it’s tiny. we had it in Canada it’s pretty flawless.

Yeah I know you get the special ones that just poke a hole in the bag and then you chuck the bag out, point is you need to sell people the thingy to put the bags in which is DIFFERENT and WEIRD and MORE MONEY.

It's like having them tupperwares for your cereal, nobody does that either.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Even still, you need to sell them to people, and it'd be different so people would hate it.
They could put gollywogs on them.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Guavanaut posted:

okay now we're getting somewhere

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

This might actually work.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JFairfax posted:

UK pints are 568ml

US pints are 473ml

Not that anything in america actually comes in a pint iirc. Beers are usually 12 fl oz (354ml) or 11.5 fl oz in the case of some chiselling microbreweries that thought i wouldn't notice :argh:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pochoclo posted:

Honestly, I've wondered about how the "Canada milk bag," thing worked for years, so this is edifying

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
They sold bag milk at my local Sainbury's for like 2 years but it was inexplicably more expensive than regular milk so nobody bought it and then it vanished again.

Also anecdotal evidence (my mum) suggests that olds are totally incapable of using them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pochoclo posted:

British prices for anything are not connected to supply and demand. I think the rule is to just add 10% to the price of anything before vat. I'm not sure there's a single thing you can get cheaper here than other countries including things made here.

RabidWeasel posted:

They sold bag milk at my local Sainbury's for like 2 years but it was inexplicably more expensive than regular milk so nobody bought it and then it vanished again.

Also anecdotal evidence (my mum) suggests that olds are totally incapable of using them

There's no way they did anything other than stand in the middle of the kitchen and tear the bag open and then get furiously bamboozled.