Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

That plug-in-sink pic is making the rounds at work, after I posted it on Facebook as "current project status". One dude says he talked to a Philly inspector who shrugged and said "well, if it's a GFI plug, it would pass".

My brain is exploding. There's got to be something that would make an inspector say "yeah, no way". I know they can't enter "Jesus are you insane" for the reason, but there's gotta be more to it than "GFCI = ok" ... right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

GFCI won't help if the entire GFCI receptacle is flooded. In that case, the hot wires feeding the receptacle itself would be submerged, bypassing the protection. I guess you could put it on a GFCI breaker to fix that, though, or have the GFCI protection somewhere else upstream.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

GFCI won't help if the entire GFCI receptacle is flooded. In that case, the hot wires feeding the receptacle itself would be submerged, bypassing the protection. I guess you could put it on a GFCI breaker to fix that, though, or have the GFCI protection somewhere else upstream.

The stupid circuit breaker would open from the dead short (shortly after killing you), gotta make sure you have a rated 60 year old Zinsco panel to prevent that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How come so many sinks have the faucet set so far back that you have to jam your hands against the back of the basin to wash them? I see this so often at restaurants too, they'll have some massive ridiculous ultra-modern basin and then this tiny little faucet that just dribbles some water along the back wall of the basin.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Baronjutter posted:

How come so many sinks have the faucet set so far back that you have to jam your hands against the back of the basin to wash them? I see this so often at restaurants too, they'll have some massive ridiculous ultra-modern basin and then this tiny little faucet that just dribbles some water along the back wall of the basin.

People buy sinks and faucets without any actual measuring.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I assume it's one half that, and one half 'oh the faucet broke, hang on we'll just stick whatever was in the truck/on sale at lowes in there without giving a poo poo'.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I see it most frequently at "high end" places that obviously spent a lot of money on interior design. Their idiot bathroom designer clearly put a ton of thought into how the bathrooms would look but zero in how the sinks actually function.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
On a related note, is it just me or has there been a trend recently towards having the mirror from a sink next to the toilet just continue on over the toilet? I've seen this a bunch in newer construction and don't like it. Who wants to be getting the drug test supervisor view every time they take a piss?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The idea of a bathroom sink started with a basin and a pitcher of water. You fill the basin and then lean over and wash your face in it, not just your hands. When plumbing came along, the faucet was positioned to not interfere with doing that. So the faucet's position has only slowly been shifting in recent times to be directly over the sink, which is fine if all you're doing is washing your hands; this would also make you want the faucet to be higher up.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

wolrah posted:

On a related note, is it just me or has there been a trend recently towards having the mirror from a sink next to the toilet just continue on over the toilet? I've seen this a bunch in newer construction and don't like it. Who wants to be getting the drug test supervisor view every time they take a piss?

It lets two people do bathroom stuff at once, like one shaving and the other putting on makeup. Or one taking a vicious, ruinously stanky dump while the other pukes in the sink.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

wolrah posted:

My wife's parents' downstairs bathroom used to have a mirror like this and now it's gone and I miss it every time I piss over there.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

If you don't mirror every surface in the bathroom you're a coward.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

When I moved in to my current apartment, there was a small circular mirror placed above the toilet. Positioned exactly so you'd be looking at your crotch when standing at the toilet.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
You need mirrors facing each other so you can poop alongside infinite versions of yourself.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

nielsm posted:

When I moved in to my current apartment, there was a small circular mirror placed above the toilet. Positioned exactly so you'd be looking at your crotch when standing at the toilet.

That's a mirror aid to cue action for when you get old: first you start forgetting to zip up, eventually you start forgetting to zip down...

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Platystemon posted:

Heat sink, meet hot sink.

Now I kinda wanna get a 5-pack of those novelty stick on power outlets and stick them to the inside of urinals next time I travel.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
They're supposed to be amazing rear end in a top hat fun in airports.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Put them up in some foreign airports for extra puzzlement!

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

continuing on faucet chat Im in the middle of a bathroom reno and was surprised to see how expensive faucets are. It goes from $60 builder grade to $180 with little in between.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Bathroom reno?

SA has taught me that the important things to consider are storage and keeping your floor beams intact.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ashcans posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8b7acamOdg

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lemniscate Blue posted:

They're supposed to be amazing rear end in a top hat fun in airports.

Ashcans posted:

Please video yourself sticking suspicious electronics to the walls in airports, I would love to see the result when you get caught.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Splicer posted:

Please video yourself sticking suspicious electronics to the walls in airports, I would love to see the result when you get caught.

They're stickers. The custodians don't even scrape them off at the wall here.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Wasabi the J posted:

They're stickers. The custodians don't even scrape them off at the wall here.

There's a pretty extensive history of people not being remotely reasonable about security poo poo at airports.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

glynnenstein posted:

There's a pretty extensive history of people not being remotely reasonable about security poo poo at airports.

The USA has made a whole department out of it.

Kanish posted:

continuing on faucet chat Im in the middle of a bathroom reno and was surprised to see how expensive faucets are. It goes from $60 builder grade to $180 with little in between.

By and large this is true with most fixtures. There is "technically functional for now" and "lasts forever with a warranty to match." Unless you're selling this house in the next 5 years just get the latter. The home depot near me is at least willing to separate them into two sections to make it easy to sort. Otherwise go to a true fixtures shop and talk to the person there.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Fwiw, most of the faucet manufacturers are really cool on warranty stuff. I have had cartridges fail and they just FedEx a new one for free. Even instructions on how to install it.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Or one taking a vicious, ruinously stanky dump while the other pukes in the sink.

Don't doxx my honeymoon.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Well looks like my karma for laughing at those people with leaking houses due to shoddy construction has come in because I've got a damp spot in the corner of my ceiling. Most likely the cold weather has messed up some flashing and it's nothing too serious but of course its now late Friday night, rain and sleet are forecast for a couple more days and I'm supposed to be going away on Wednesday for a week. loving awesome.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I may get hammered for this, but the best bang for my buck have been...IKEA faucets for bathroom sinks.

They are (or were, until recently) solid brass, metal faucets. No plastic. I've had one on the bathroom sink for eleven years and the action is still smooth, has never leaked or given a day's problem. Think it was $65.

When I remodelled the kitchen, I noted similar build quality for most of the kitchen faucets, but could not find one my wife was happy with. The decent-looking & feeling ones ran from $115-$300.

VVV yeah, and sinks...can't vouch for the toilets, but the sink in my (narrow-rear end) bathroom was perfect for it.

Get good brass drains from a plumbing supply house, though...IKEA sells/includes plastic crap for the drain side. I imagine the toilets have some Fisher-Price-level garbage in the tank...I'd definitely pull the tank lid & check it first.

Surprisingly, big-box still sells decent toilets (but stay away from the Kohler Cimmaron. Christ, I can't wait until my wife leaves town on her next trip to replace it).

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 2, 2019

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

PainterofCrap posted:

I may get hammered fgor this, but the best bang for my buck have been...IKEA faucets for bathroom sinks.

They are (or were, until recently) solid brass, metal faucets. No plastic. I've had one on the bathroom sink for eleven years and the action is still smooth, has never leaked or given a day's problem. Think it was $65.

When I remodelled the kitchen, I noted similar build quality for most of the kitchen faucets, but could not find one my wife was happy with. The decent-looking & feeling ones ran from $115-$300.

Woah, IKEA makes fittings? I thought it was just furniture.

Now that I live 30 minutes from one, instead of 15 hours, I may have to look into this. Do they sell toilets? I have to replace a toilet.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Woah, IKEA makes fittings? I thought it was just furniture.

Now that I live 30 minutes from one, instead of 15 hours, I may have to look into this. Do they sell toilets? I have to replace a toilet.

You can literally buy an entire condo from Ikea. From the paint inwards. Furniture, fixtures, kitchen, bathroom, lighting. You can also get everything done to a palette so it all matches and looks good together.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

You can literally buy an entire condo from Ikea. From the paint inwards. Furniture, fixtures, kitchen, bathroom, lighting. You can also get everything done to a palette so it all matches and looks good together.

You can also stock the freezer.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If you're willing to do some assembly you can buy a full horse too.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Be still my heart. An entire dwelling made of pressboard and plastic? :getin:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Be still my heart. An entire dwelling made of pressboard and plastic? :getin:

Nah man a lot of it is papier-mâché sandwiched between pressboard.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Jerry Cotton posted:

Nah man a lot of it is papier-mâché sandwiched between pressboard.

Oh god, you're right. I just remembered the incredibly Crappy Construction Tales job I used to have where my boss decided we needed to cable lock our computers to our desks...which were IKEA tables.

The spade bit chewed into the top for about 1/8", pulled up a wad of crumpled brown paper out of the center, shrieked, and punched a hole twice the diameter of the bit through the bottom.

He still tried to loop the lock cables thru the hole, to comical effect. All you'd need to do is grab the cable and give it a sharp tug to rip it completely thru the edge of the table.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I built my desk from idea but it’s a 6foot butcher block kitchen counter top that was on clearance for $60

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Well looks like my karma for laughing at those people with leaking houses due to shoddy construction has come in because I've got a damp spot in the corner of my ceiling.
:same:

It rained like god turned on the tap to full here for an afternoon, and a few days later a yellowish spot appeared in the corner of the ceiling by the fireplace.

Welp, looks like we're getting that new roof sooner than we thought.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

glynnenstein posted:

How is stickers a loving security risk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Wasabi the J posted:

How is stickers a loving security risk?

Don’t try to bring logic into this, we are talking about securing are country.