Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

zoux posted:

E: also, per variety, CBS all access has ordered a 10 ep The Stand miniseries

Directed by Josh Boone (The Fault in Our Stars, The New Mutants)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Shlock isn't even inherently a negative thing

Schlock is in fact inherently a positive thing

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

Josh Boone posted:

I read The Stand under my bed when I was 12, and my Baptist parents burned it in our fireplace upon discovery,” said Boone. “Incensed, I stole my Dad’s FedEx account number and mailed King a letter professing my love for his work. Several weeks later, I came home to find a box had arrived from Maine, and inside were several books, each inscribed with a beautiful note from god himself, who encouraged me in my writing and thanked me for being a fan. My parents, genuinely moved by King’s kindness and generosity, lifted the ban on his books that very day.

Stephen King's a cool guy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Chris James 2 posted:

He doesn't get that second credit because that movie is never coming out. The only way you'll see it'll be the 2025 version of finding the Roger Corman Fantastic Four on VHS at a Flea Market.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think you guys might not understand the difference between Schlock and Camp.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Shlock isn't even inherently a negative thing, Spartacus is pure unashamed shlock in every possible way and it might be literally the best TV show ever made as a result

:five:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

:hist101:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Schlock is just an interchangable word with trash for me, at this point in my life. Schlock is stuff that is badly made in one way or another, not necessarily b/c of budget. I often enjoy it!

Camp can be something badly made or well made so it's more broad to me.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also,

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mZKEKUlr6E

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

zoux posted:

Here's an interesting question
https://twitter.com/PeterBurnsESPN/status/1089862251505479682

We had the Challenger in 1st grade, but it wasn't after the accident, it was the whole thing because there was a teacher on board. So that was fun.

To go back to this, I wasn't at school when 9/11 but I had an exploratory surgery done that morning at 9 AM. When I came to in recovery, the hospital was on lock down and everyone was on edge. It felt like the goddamned world was ending for a few moments. It's one of the most surreal experiences I've ever had.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

:five:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I finally got around to watching the season finale of The Good Place. I know a bunch of people had a problem with another reset. I get that. I agreed in principle when it was a topic of conversation. I've long felt that The Good Place has a problem that its too built in about being this crazy situation with escalating stakes while all of Mike Schur's other comedies have been very calm, slice of life shows. I in no way begrudge him trying something different, and I enjoy what he's done, but I'm unsure if he knows how to end it (especially since another kind of Schur thing about his shows is them not really having a natural ending point).

That being said, I didn't mind this one. Although mainly because I'm still really not feeling Chidi and Eleanor like at all. Its such a Schur thing and I've almost always bought in but like, this one just doesn't work for me. And it was a whole episode and twist around it and like... I didn't feel it. But the twist actually sets up a chance for them to sell me on it again. So I'm actually good with it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I was frustrating for a while, but I feel like the memory wiping is trying to make a larger point. The continuous memory wiping means they're essentially trapped in purgatory. Every time our heroes get close to completing their goal, one of them forces a reset and the loop begins again. Even when they "succeed", they're really just retreading old ground. e.g. when they win a second chance at life, or the way the third season ended with them replaying a version of season one. There's no escape.

I mean, if the first two seasons were No Exit, then season three is the Myth of Sisyphus.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Masked Singer is like something they'd watch in the world of The Hunger Games and ngl it's kind of awesome

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I think you guys might not understand the difference between Schlock and Camp.

Nah. I've been watching a lot of low-budget 1950s monster movies lately. I definitely mean schlock.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sabrina is not better than The Leftovers

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I like Sabrina, but overall it is not a good show (its also not for people my age). I guess I am a sucker for witches and shows that say praise Satan. I also kind of thought Riverdale season 1 was ok, but after watching half of season 2 I will never watch it again. It is just bad.

Mu Zeta posted:

Agreed. It is not even close.

Vanderdeath posted:

To go back to this, I wasn't at school when 9/11 but I had an exploratory surgery done that morning at 9 AM. When I came to in recovery, the hospital was on lock down and everyone was on edge. It felt like the goddamned world was ending for a few moments. It's one of the most surreal experiences I've ever had.

I don't think I ever had a TV wheeled in during class due to an national tragedy. The day of the Challenger disaster I missed school due to being sick, I was in the Marines during most of the OJ stuff, and while I was in college during 9/11, I worked mornings and went to class in the afternoon (they also called off school for a few days). TV being wheeled into class always meant to me, thank God we are going to watch a movie.

I will say when the actual fighting started during the 1991 Gulf War, I was in boot camp at Parris Island, SC. The DIs did roll a TV in to let us watch TV since the embedded news was showing live combat. One of the DIs told us that a few Marines he trained showed up as the recently killed on the news last night. He also informed us that they were shortening boot camp to something like 6 weeks (it was 13 weeks at the time), and instead of sending us to Marine Combat Training and our MOS school after boot camp, we were flying straight from Parris Island to Iraq to be put on the front line. He also guaranteed that we would all die with seconds, due to what poo poo-bird recruits we were and that we could never be half the Marine as the ones he saw on the news the previous night.

Of course none of that turned out to be true (well I am still not sure to this day if he did see someone he knew as KIA the previous day), and the Gulf War was over before I even left Parris Island, but I am not going to lie it scared the poo poo out of me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

Okay but what about the old Sabrina

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/31/twlight-zone-release-date-cbs-all-access/

Jordan Peele's Twilight Zone will premier on All-Access on April first with weekly episodes following starting April 11th.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

The Leftovers is schlock.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

The Leftovers is schlock.

The writing is so lazy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

To me, the writing is bad.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

nate fisher posted:

Of course none of that turned out to be true (well I am still not sure to this day if he did see someone he knew as KIA the previous day), and the Gulf War was over before I even left Parris Island, but I am not going to lie it scared the poo poo out of me.

At least you got a truncated boot camp! Yay!

bull3964 posted:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/31/twlight-zone-release-date-cbs-all-access/

Jordan Peele's Twilight Zone will premier on All-Access on April first with weekly episodes following starting April 11th.

I haven't been this stoked for a new show since ST:D

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i just let the writing be

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Open Source Idiom posted:

I was frustrating for a while, but I feel like the memory wiping is trying to make a larger point. The continuous memory wiping means they're essentially trapped in purgatory. Every time our heroes get close to completing their goal, one of them forces a reset and the loop begins again. Even when they "succeed", they're really just retreading old ground. e.g. when they win a second chance at life, or the way the third season ended with them replaying a version of season one. There's no escape.

I mean, if the first two seasons were No Exit, then season three is the Myth of Sisyphus.

I'm waiting for Jason to somehow recover all his memories and become the Kwisatz Haderach

e: Bortles is a killing word

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 31, 2019

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1091029883902283776

:toot:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jesus just let the show die.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I have the sudden urge to watch every episode of Married with Children. Is it on Netflix or Amazon Prime?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

CornHolio posted:

I have the sudden urge to watch every episode of Married with Children. Is it on Netflix or Amazon Prime?

It’s on Hulu.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kimmy Schmidt S4E11: When Kimmy comes out as Shaun White oh lord :discourse:

i'm dead

e: I'd almost be interested in watching more Shameless if Monaghan was also staying gone lmao, but idk I just don't feel it any more knowing Rossum has left. Feels like the show should end.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

CornHolio posted:

A couple years ago I had to go to the gym early in the morning and there was no wifi, so I had to watch TV, and Married with Children reruns were pretty much the only thing on. I felt like it still held up fairly well. I remember there was an episode with Dan Castellaneta as a gay guy and I felt like it was a pretty good depiction of a gay person for a late 80s/early 90s sitcom.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This whole Cats subplot is gold

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still don’t know which show had the better Cats storyline out of CXG and UKS.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

I still don’t know which show had the better Cats storyline out of CXG and UKS.

The payoff to what he uses as a tail was timed perfectly

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Space Cop is such a miserable, joyless, unfunny experience that I don't really trust them with regards to schlock, camp, trash, irony, or any other so-bad-its-good media aside from holding it up as an example of what not to do.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh no, I got bean juice on my modesty garment

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

:wink:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Supernatural has been renewed for season 15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

esperterra posted:

This whole Cats subplot is gold

It explains so much