Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

dont be mean to me posted:

yeah that whole interview feels like “when you feel like you deserve to die but can’t do the deed yourself”

my favorite part was how she had to take this job because she was on the outs after recommending snowden for his position

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

chesnok posted:

Holy poo poo, Mad Max IRL

That's South Australia, it's a different wasteland but they do have nuclear testing grounds which are an extremely boring letdown.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Tastykake posted:

funding research on carbon sequestration using the currency that uses a megawatt for every transaction? there's no way something this stupid and counterproductive isn't already being done

there are of course multiple Ethereum tokens supposedly backing clean energy

running on the blockchain that only uses as much electricity as Greece rather than Austria

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Are solar powered bitcoin rigs environmentally acceptable?

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Outrail posted:

Are solar powered bitcoin rigs environmentally acceptable?

no they displace that amount of actual useful demand which is then typically filled by coal. and since it’s only economically viable to run miners 24/7* year round it is useless from a load management perspective.

none of this waste is necessary for the system to function nor does it improve performance - you could run bitcoin on an NES at today’s transaction times if you wanted.

*partially this is because miners depreciate at a colossal rate - also at enormous environmental cost.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

solar cells aren't free

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Prav posted:

solar cells aren't free

Yes. But the bitcoin rig makes the money to buy more cells and more rigs and pretty soon the planet is carpeted with solar powered bitcoin rigs with unlimited energy from the cells and unlimited money from the bitcoin rigs so we're all rich and have great suntans (from the solar cells).

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
bitcoin was the real grey goo all along

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Outrail posted:

Yes. But the bitcoin rig makes the money to buy more cells and more rigs and pretty soon the planet is carpeted with solar powered bitcoin rigs with unlimited energy from the cells and unlimited money from the bitcoin rigs so we're all rich and have great suntans (from the solar cells).

comedyblissoption posted:

Food 200 Acres remaining arable land
Data 100 zettabytes public ledger
Breathable Air 100 km^3
Dyson Sphere Cryptomining 380 yottawatts
Laborers 2 million
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my planet is dying

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

i’ve read the first two articles in this series so far and while the subject matter is serious and terrifying i can’t help but feel that this woman’s life is terrifyingly shallow and mostly defined by vapid consumption and i can’t see her not immediately killing herself in despair when it all comes crashing down

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

jimmyjams posted:

bitcoin was the real grey goo all along

If you emit bitcoin at climax, consult your physician.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

dont be mean to me posted:

If you emit bitcoin at climax, consult your physician.

My planetary ecosystem extinction event has lasted for at least 4 hours, what do?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Outrail posted:

My planetary ecosystem extinction event has lasted for at least 4 hours, what do?

find a comfy spot to watch poo poo get biblical? ¯\ _(ツ)_/¯

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Flowers For Algeria posted:

i’ve read the first two articles in this series so far and while the subject matter is serious and terrifying i can’t help but feel that this woman’s life is terrifyingly shallow and mostly defined by vapid consumption and i can’t see her not immediately killing herself in despair when it all comes crashing down

this is most Americans' lives, including many of us

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

if the internet goes down, we shall post in the streets

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

some of us never stopped posting on restroom walls

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

here I sit all broken hearted

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

PokeJoe posted:

here I sit all broken hearted

elected Trump, who's all dotarded

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Tastykake posted:

if the internet goes down, we shall post in the streets

If the internet goes down I am going back to reading back issues of Fangoria while listening to Sonic Youth on my discman.

Please take the internet down.

Free me.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
If the internet goes down I'm going to stock up on canned food and shotgun shells as advised by the Brain gremlin.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If the internet goes down life would be chaotic for a year or so and then become immeasurably better.

For one people would stop cheating at pub trivia.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Screaming Idiot posted:

If the internet goes down I'm going to stock up on canned food and shotgun shells as advised by the Brain gremlin.

Bad news. Brain Gremlin's on Twitter now.

https://twitter.com/G2Institute/status/939176052454289408

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

I have long since believed that we no longer live in the real world and have slipped into an alternate dimension where parody is the only truth. This merely adds validity to my suspicions.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

to be fair i probably use amazon as much as she does but it's less vapid consumerism and more i'm just incredibly lazy

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The best example if this is that bit in Robocop where the executive is talking about how they've moved into traditionally non profit areas- hospitals, prisons, space exploration

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

The best example if this is that bit in Robocop where the executive is talking about how they've moved into traditionally non profit areas- hospitals, prisons, space exploration

i choose to believe veorhoeven just knew it was coming

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Screaming Idiot posted:

I have long since believed that we no longer live in the real world and have slipped into an alternate dimension where parody is the only truth. This merely adds validity to my suspicions.

This was when I had the same epiphany:

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

just reading the amazon now and wtf is this poo poo

quote:

The AWS block also breaks two apps that my daughter’s daycare uses to message us. However, a technological quirk allows some leakage from daycare land; the apps’ notifications come to my iPhone from Apple’s servers instead of Amazon’s, so I can still see updates coming in (“New potty for Ellev,” “New meal for Ellev”) even if I can’t check the app to see what my daughter is eating or excreting.

why would you want something like this. why

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Clipperton posted:

helicopter parenting was bad enough already but new and emerging tech is going to make it so much worse

there are already pre-teens upset with their parents over giving them a social media presence since birth but parents who demand text notifications every time their babies pinch a loaf will have no social boundaries whatsoever

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Lum_ posted:

to be fair i probably use amazon as much as she does but it's less vapid consumerism and more i'm just incredibly lazy

stop it

go patronize a shop

i don't care how you get your rear end there, install pokemon go or something to help you while you walk, just get there. and uninstall your amazon app and delete your account

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Clipperton posted:

daycares have already been doing poo poo like noting down every event that happens during your kid's day and then giving each parent a ~personalized report~ of the kid's day at the end of the day, or things like that

it's loving catnip for the kind of upper-middle class white parents who have been trained to be as involved as possible in every second of their kid's day, even when it's a loving toddler who's spending a third of their day in daycare while the parents are both sitting around bored in offices all day. it's also a way for daycares to distinguish themselves from each other in an era where community is dead and every single middle-class service is actually run by a rotating staff of minimum-wage near-slaves behind the scenes. it makes the parents feel more like that little Aiden is getting specialized, individual attention

once they started having the workers note down the times and anecdotes in computers instead of on paper, it's only a little extra to have it send automated updates or whatever. a lot of the time it also involves pictures and funny videos being sent out, as kind of a social media-ization of daycare

what kind of 31-year-old mid-low-level manager doesn't want to check on their toddler's naptime status between meetings?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

it's loving catnip for the kind of upper-middle class white parents who have been trained to be as involved as possible in every second of their kid's day, even when it's a loving toddler who's spending a third of their day in daycare while the parents are both sitting around bored in offices all day.

no, they don't want to be involved, they want to feel involved through reading reports, assessing scorecards, evaluating performance and indicators, but it's all bullshit

loving hell, the one year old kid is already trained to ask the domestic robot to play movies to her, and the mother is befuddled for a moment before she realizes she can play - no, that she can distract the child with a toy

plus imagine being the overworked daycare worker who has to write up the inane notes on what the child did that day, christ

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

plus imagine being the overworked daycare worker who has to write up the inane notes on what the child did that day, christ
Oh they just do it on a tablet, it's sooooo easy it doesn't take any time at all! - someone that never has to use the system

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
i tried keeping track of my kid's naps and poops and such on an app after they were born, i deleted it after a week because it was a huge hassle and who fuckin cares

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
my daughter is ~1 and has spent probably less than a cumulative half hour in her year of life on any sort of device

her cousins (2&5) have been raised by amazon prime smdh

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Food Boner posted:

my daughter is ~1 and has spent probably less than a cumulative half hour in her year of life on any sort of device

her cousins (2&5) have been raised by amazon prime smdh

my kid (going on 4) watches a lot of tv (but no ads! I must have watched weeks of ads as a kid, so that's a huge step up). He's not really interested in the tablet except for his alphabet game

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

hackbunny posted:

This was when I had the same epiphany:

what's so crazy is how quickly the media moved on from it

we all did, just another blip

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I literally don't remember what that picture is from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

a dude killed the russian ambassador to turkey in an art gallery