Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
^^^That was my favorite line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
loving donkeys somehow makes loving sheep seem like the more sane option.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
you can tell the production staff was giggling at the credits when they put the selfie of james with the donkey right after the donkey fucker

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I think the whole sequence of the guys convincing hammond to drive into the pit, him repeatedly trying the same thing to escape the pit, them using him as a bridge over the pit, twice, and the reveal that all of it was useless was one of my favorite TG/TGT things ever.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
this season is amazing so far and is close to top gear season 18 levels

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The Walrus posted:

this season is amazing so far and is close to top gear season 18 levels

This. I'm enjoying it all.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
"You look like something found in a pyramid."

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

So I clicked on that on my phone and got a Silverado commercial :v: after clicking Cancel when it asked me to sign in to verify my age

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Kingdom posted:

"You look like something found in a pyramid."

Probably the best line in the episode and everyone's reactions made it feel unscripted.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, that was good. How anyone thought the bridge part was a good idea to go ahead is boggles my mind.

Twenty blocks of nothing but auto parts. Dang.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wonder how much of that is them actually having to cross there and how much is "let's do dangerous poo poo for television". Especially after it was shown that scene in that one special on the death highway was staged with a film crew car. I'd rather not see "Jeremy Clarkson dead after trying to film cool segment for the grand tour."

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
The only good joke in both parts of the special was Hammond's little stepladder to get in and out of his stupid lifted pickup.

I think I've grown bored of the rest of their schtick at this point. I'm a little sad about that.

Clarkson's sticky legs in part two were terrifying!

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug
I think the problem is them being unwilling or unable to risk the chance that they don't get enough organic footage, so they stage things and perhaps feel compelled to use cheesy footage they otherwise shouldn't. All of my favorite moments of the trio are parts that at least feel organic especially after so many viewings. Compare:

Good

Jeremy falling off of his bike in Vietnam
Hammond knocking over the toll booth barrier in Vietnam
Jeremy's rear window being broken in Africa
The horrific dust clouds and Jeremy threatening to punch Hammond afterwards in Botswana

Bad

Jeremy and James wearing helmets inside buckets because of their "large heads" in Vietnam
Forgetting the phone on the riverside in Bolivia
Hammond "accidentally" calling his car Oliver in front of the others in Botswana
Everything in the India special?

We would all unquestionably love the staged footage of Jeremy passing on the cliffside if it wasn't understood/proven to be a crew car. Didn't they also gloss over how they got Hammond's truck out of the hole in this latest episode? Lame.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Seik posted:

Didn't they also gloss over how they got Hammond's truck out of the hole in this latest episode? Lame.

Yeah they just say they pulled him out and the show went on.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Seik posted:

We would all unquestionably love the staged footage of Jeremy passing on the cliffside if it wasn't understood/proven to be a crew car. Didn't they also gloss over how they got Hammond's truck out of the hole in this latest episode? Lame.

And why they were off on a random side road into the jungle in the first place, and why Hammond's rear diff "somehow" suffered exactly the same destructive failure as his Jeep did in Bolivia (even though it's really not possible in that truck's case unless sabotaged), and why May's final assessment of his hatchback was lifted almost word-for-word from how he described his 4x4 in Bolivia, and why they had those three particular cars (they didn't "choose" them or "buy them sight unseen from the classifieds" or "believe the one each chose was the best suited for a particular purpose outlined by a producer challenge at the beginning")...

I'm really biting my tongue because I don't want to harsh. But it's real clear to me they're cargo-culting their own success at this point.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm going to dislike it when hammond goes back to using reasonable cars after starting the season with a Demon and a giant bro truck.

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

And why they were off on a random side road into the jungle in the first place, and why Hammond's rear diff "somehow" suffered exactly the same destructive failure as his Jeep did in Bolivia (even though it's really not possible in that truck's case unless sabotaged), and why May's final assessment of his hatchback was lifted almost word-for-word from how he described his 4x4 in Bolivia, and why they had those three particular cars (they didn't "choose" them or "buy them sight unseen from the classifieds" or "believe the one each chose was the best suited for a particular purpose outlined by a producer challenge at the beginning")...

I'm really biting my tongue because I don't want to harsh. But it's real clear to me they're cargo-culting their own success at this point.

This is their third season of this new show. It's fine to be harsh at this point I think. Honestly, the thing that bugged me the most out of all of their recent stuff is that James May would NEVER have built something as shoddy and poorly thought out as that loving merc fish tank. The man is The Reassembler for gently caress sake. He is constantly maligned by the other two for being detail oriented bore. The lack of script effort is insulting.

I'm holding out hope for the Mongolia episode because it sounds like they're doing something truly original which is bound to lead to hijinks.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The other one is who knows how much poo poo they are/arent allowed to do with the legal agreement with the BBC.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Data Graham posted:

It’s almost like the show is scripted or something. Oh, it’s because it is.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, it was great writing when hamster flew off the road and nearly died and destroyed the wondercar.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Once again people have trouble differentiating between 'scripted situations' and 'scripted show'

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Scripted" is a continuum, not a boolean.

I must have mentioned this at some point, but way back when I went to a taping of Whose Line Is It Anyway in LA. It lasted literally all day, for the taping of just one episode, and something like 2 hours of it was taken up with us in the audience doing applause shots as the camera boom swung over us for commercial intros/outros. My hands were chapped for days afterwards. But what really stuck with me was the way the "ad-libbed" material was created on the fly, to everyone's delight, and then evolved over the course of a dozen subsequent retakes where they tried to get the camera angles or the reactions just right, and every single time they did a take they had to act like they had just come up with that line or gag on the spot and were hearing it for the first time. Ryan Stiles at about 9:30 AM busted out the most hilarious song I'd ever heard, absolutely incredible; the audience was screaming, and the actors all guffawed and moved on; but then at about 4PM the director said "Hey remember that song you did this morning? We have to do it again" (I forget the reason, probably one of the lyrics was too tasteless for TV or something). So they had to REMEMBER what they had made up off-the-cuff, hours earlier, and sing the same drat song all over again, pretending they'd just come up with it right then and there. The audience and the cast alike were going "Eehhh heh hehe ehheheh yeah lmao :geno:", we just could not keep the facade up, and Ryan was making up new songs threatening to dismember the director in between retakes.

If someone asks me whether WLIIA is scripted, I'm like "lol no, BUT..."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Data Graham posted:

And why they were off on a random side road into the jungle in the first place

And by "jungle" you mean fenced off paddocks on some bloke's farm.

"Wow, we're really in the deep jungle now!" /Camera pans over barbed wire fence

Or the part where they were trying to get to the top of the volcano and had to drive through the dust and Hammond got stuck. Then the camera showed a zoomed out shot where a well worn path was clearly visible just a few metres in front of him.

I mean, drat guys, at least make an effort. The reallest thing in that entire special was Clarkson's horrible sunburnt gammon skin.

A couple shots with him and May made me think the colour had blown out on my monitor.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 31, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Or the part where they were trying to get to the top of the volcano and had to drive through the dust and Hammond got stuck. Then the camera showed a zoomed out shot where a well worn path was clearly visible just a few metres in front of him.

I mean lemme be clear, the "over an active volcano" shortcut route in the Bolivia special is this:

In other words no, that road they were on does not go from anywhere or to anywhere except straight up the side of the volcano itself, it was purely a stunt, just like that "perfect road" they "found" in the middle of nowhere on the eastern edge of Nevada which was really SR 341 outside the suburbs of Reno. But gently caress me if it didn't have a lot of real-feeling suspense. It felt like they were trying to prove or accomplish something, and we got a genuine feeling of experiencing something taxing and exotic, vicariously through them. 17,000 feet! Hypoxia! Bump-starting cars whose engines can barely turn over! That's real poo poo! This time though? Does Colombia even have arid, vegetation-less volcanoes that look like that? Why were they even there?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
It must feel awful to not be able to just enjoy the show.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know, right? My point is it was easy to "just enjoy" the scripted nonsense when the humor and inspiration felt fresh.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I enjoy the show but it's kinda embarrassing how lazy they are with it at times. Like with the street drag race from the first episode this season they were talking about the street being abandoned while you could clearly see firetrucks and emergency personnel fencing it off in the back of the shot.

Of course everyone knows they don't just spontaneously find abandoned roads and airfields all over the place, but why keep up the charade if you're not gonna make any effort to make it believable?

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

bloom posted:

Of course everyone knows they don't just spontaneously find abandoned roads and airfields all over the place, but why keep up the charade if you're not gonna make any effort to make it believable?

I think that was more them making fun of how run down most of Detroit has become. Goes with the cheap abandoned houses, the falling apart factory and the poverty gardens.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

bigpolar posted:

I think that was more them making fun of how run down most of Detroit has become. Goes with the cheap abandoned houses, the falling apart factory and the poverty gardens.

Yeah I thought they were joking since they included the shot of the temporary barricades and stuff.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

GutBomb posted:

Yeah I thought they were joking since they included the shot of the temporary barricades and stuff.

Yeah it was clearly a joke

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CornHolio posted:

It must feel awful to not be able to just enjoy the show.

When you have seen the same jokes a dozen times and not even done particularly well yeah it is somewhat hard to just enjoy the show. Most the Columbian special felt like "havent I seen this poo poo before? And it was done better last time?"

And weren't the "LOL Wranglers for gay people" just a little bit on the nose, especially over and over and over again? It's the first special I've turned off because it was boring. Does it get interesting in part 2? I dont know because I just cant bring myself to care.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Thanks for the update, I guess.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

When you have seen the same jokes a dozen times and not even done particularly well yeah it is somewhat hard to just enjoy the show. Most the Columbian special felt like "havent I seen this poo poo before? And it was done better last time?"

And weren't the "LOL Wranglers for gay people" just a little bit on the nose, especially over and over and over again? It's the first special I've turned off because it was boring. Does it get interesting in part 2? I dont know because I just cant bring myself to care.

I got a little bored with pt1 but enjoyed pt2. It picks up.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I dunno man, I was laughing pretty hard and enjoying it for what it was - an entertaining show with cars and silly people. If you're looking for some cutting edge sophisticated humor or a departure from what they've been doing for sixteen years successfully, maybe the show just isn't for you.

Go watch Serious Shows for Serious People, I guess. Us less sophisticated types will take our low brow humor with old men falling down and making inappropriate jokes.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The reliability in which goons dismiss any complaint against quality as "just hating fun" is fascinating. You're allowed to enjoy what Clarkson, Hammond, and May do while still wanting them to do better. The repetitiveness is getting too much for me though, I'm naively hoping they change things up once they ditch the tent.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CornHolio posted:

I dunno man, I was laughing pretty hard and enjoying it for what it was - an entertaining show with cars and silly people. If you're looking for some cutting edge sophisticated humor or a departure from what they've been doing for sixteen years successfully, maybe the show just isn't for you.

Go watch Serious Shows for Serious People, I guess. Us less sophisticated types will take our low brow humor with old men falling down and making inappropriate jokes.

You know, if there is one thing I've always found interesting is no matter how well you put a critique of a show and how it is, someone will just reply like this, despite it being as boring, unoriginal and repeating as Hammond reversing into May's car.

You most certainly can have silly antics without repeating same antics. And you most certainly can have innappropriate jokes without replying the same sad tired LOL GAY joke that wasn't funny ten years ago.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Considering per your opinion it's all sad and tired and boring and unoriginal content, that's from what I know repeating for years, it's sure interesting that you've stuck around.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You know, if there is one thing I've always found interesting is no matter how well you put a critique of a show and how it is, someone will just reply like this, despite it being as boring, unoriginal and repeating as Hammond reversing into May's car.

You most certainly can have silly antics without repeating same antics. And you most certainly can have innappropriate jokes without replying the same sad tired LOL GAY joke that wasn't funny ten years ago.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Considering per your opinion it's all sad and tired and boring and unoriginal content, that's from what I know repeating for years, it's sure interesting that you've stuck around.

"I dont have much to do, I haven't watched TGT much at all, lets see if...... oh"

Sorry you don't like people having opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

case
Mar 27, 2005

Episode 4 was good. Back to the silly bollocks that makes for good escapism.

That Jag is like a better looking M5.