Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

It's overcomplicated to try and mask the 'later release for poors' element

exquisite tea posted:

Seven whole days seems kind of unbalancing from the whole PvE perspective, like many people will probably have already hit max level by then.

chumbler posted:

No it's not a later releasefor poors, it's an earlier release for devoted true believers and taste makers.

Yeah, actually signing up for Origin Premier is cheaper than buying or preordering the game. If you give EA $15 a month, you can play Anthem during that time without buying the box game. If you play for two months, that's $30. Cancel your membership when you're not playing and there you go, you just played two months of Anthem for half the price of just buying the game. And chances are, there won't be two months of content at launch. If I had to put money on it, I'd bet you could burn through most of Anthem's launch content within that first month.

Obviously if you play Anthem for a really long time, then it's cheaper to just buy the game upfront, but if you're only going to play for a month or two ever, it's cheaper to do so through Origin Access Premier.

This isn't really an Anthem-specific thing, though. It's an EA thing. Origin Access Premier gets you full access to any EA game on Origin, and gives you early access to all of them as they come out. Anthem, being an EA game, isn't exempted, despite the fact that a full 7-day head start on a game like this is... weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Hey folks, sorry for the drive-by.

Do we have a general Tycoon/City-Builder/Management-Sim Megathread (like the niche simulator thread)?

If we do, could I get a link?

If not I'll put something together over the weekend. I wanna talk about Transport Fever and Foundations, and hospital/mall/airport sims etc.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Andrast posted:

Does it have garbage gameplay like the first one or did they fix it?

I doubt it’s been changed, but also it’s a walking simulator

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

idk about Anthem but the Hitman 2 early edition was like £80 and that is too much for a video game

I think that had the season pass or whatever included at least. Pre-ordering DLC is really dumb though.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If you are skeptical towards liking the Kingdom Hearts franchise, would KHIII make you change your mind or dissapoint you?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Grouchio posted:

If you are skeptical towards liking the Kingdom Hearts franchise, would KHIII make you change your mind or dissapoint you?

Honestly that's sort of like asking, "Hey, if I'm skeptical about liking raw seafood, would shoving a live octopus down my throat change my mind?"

In other words, KHIII is like everything you'd already be skeptical about in the KH franchise, but just turned up to 11.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grouchio posted:

KH3 isn't a radical reinvention of the wheel or anything or a drastic leap forward, it's a straight continuation of 2 in both gameplay and tone. And if anything most people seem to think the combat's a little worse than 2's.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i remember oldboy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In a lot of series, if you play only the numbered games and ignore spin-offs and side games, you'll get the full story.

Kingdom Hearts is not one of those series. Like it's actually almost more confusing that the series has two numbered entries with no subtitles, because it implies that if you just play Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II, and Kingdom Hearts III, you're going to get the full story. But every one of the spin-offs and side games adds important events and lore to the series that it would appear KHIII makes ample use of. I have to imagine there are people who loved KH and KHII back in the PS2 days and bought KHIII and are just utterly baffled by what's happening and who all these characters are and why there are two Organization XIIIs and like four different versions of Sora and...

God what a weird series. I guess I'm glad it exists but I got off the train way too long ago to ever get back on.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

chumbler posted:

No it's not a later releasefor poors, it's an earlier release for devoted true believers and taste makers.

I want to see one of these early release schemes bomb so badly that it torpedoes the actual release.

It never will, as proven by Fallout 76

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Who would win in a fight, Kingdom Hearts lore or Metal Gear lore

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Kingdom Hearts lore is way bigger and dumber so I'm gonna go with that.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
What teh gently caress is this dork going on about?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

our generation's true batman v. superman

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Jay Rust posted:

metal gear because snake could beat up mickey

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
"Kaz, why do they call it a Gummi Ship?"

"Snake...it's because the gummi material they use to make the ships..it's-"

"People?!"

"No, bears. Gummi bears."

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jay Rust posted:

I'll let you know when Sora comes to Smash

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Put Goofy in Smash instead imo

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I guess the platform splits were awkward, but the handheld games have gotten HD versions packaged with the PS2 games since 2013, so

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i didn't say she was crazy, i said she was smashing goofy

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

I'll let you know when Sora comes to Smash

Sora is too powerful. Nobody in smash could beat him.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
what sort of madman simultaneously owned a nintendo ds and a vita

because like 70% of the kingdom hearts series' foundational plot elements were on a game that was, for years, vita-exclusive

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

There's no Vita exclusive kingdom hearts game

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Oxxidation posted:

greetings

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Viewtiful Jew posted:

"Kaz, why do they call it a Gummi Ship?"

"Snake...it's because the gummi material they use to make the ships..it's-"

"People?!"

"No, bears. Gummi bears."

ocelot: that’s an enemy gumship

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i had a ds and a psp, blame castlevania

turning 358/2 into a movie is the best thing you could have hoped for, that game sucked.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i inherited a physical ds from my sister but by the time i did i had pretty much played everything i was interested in for it by emulating it so the only games i ever played on the hardware proper was order of ecclesia and a copy of okamiden i borrowed from a friend. i picked up a copy of metal slug 6 but never even actually put it in the machine.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Phantasium posted:

i had a ds and a psp, blame castlevania

turning 358/2 into a movie is the best thing you could have hoped for, that game sucked.

they turned the high-octane secret cutscene from the japan-exclusive re-rerelease of the first game into a gameplay segment you could only play on a 256 x 192 pixel screen

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oxxidation posted:

because like 70% of the kingdom hearts series' foundational plot elements were on a game that was, for years, vita-exclusive

Me but it was a PSP game not Vita

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

they turned the high-octane secret cutscene from the japan-exclusive re-rerelease of the first game into a gameplay segment you could only play on a 256 x 192 pixel screen

i never even finished it because it controlled like poo poo largely due to having to deal with camera controls by swiping a touch screen but when I got tired of it I loaded up cheats to see what happened in the synopsis and felt relieved that a majority of the entries were just "we ate ice cream on a clock tower and nothing happened"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've owned a PSP, DS, Vita, and 3DS.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Days is the only KH game I never finished

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

i remember oldboy

same, it's a good movie

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

I bought a vita for persona 4 golden and proceeded to primarily play psp games on it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Phantasium posted:

i never even finished it because it controlled like poo poo largely due to having to deal with camera controls by swiping a touch screen but when I got tired of it I loaded up cheats to see what happened in the synopsis and felt relieved that a majority of the entries were just "we ate ice cream on a clock tower and nothing happened"

it also introduced the "imaginary number" of Organization XIII, an artificial human with no set identity whose appearance changed depending on the observer and who existed to leech off the protagonist's power but who mostly just ate ice cream until the plot told her she had to be the last boss

then she died and was retroactively deleted from existence, but came back anyway and is looking to become a key figure in KH3

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Days is the only KH game I never finished

I thought we had rules against trolling.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

chumbler posted:

I thought we had rules against trolling.

Okay I haven't finished 3 yet either

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Looper posted:

same, it's a good movie

watch the other 2 in the vengeance trilogy, lady vengeance is amazing

e: speaking of park chan wook everyone go watch the handmaiden!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Okay I haven't finished 3 yet either

Whoops I read that as "ever finished". My apologies for my cruel and hasty accusation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Looper posted:

I bought a vita for persona 4 golden and proceeded to primarily play psp games on it

There's a really weird robot programming game for the psp called Carnage Hearts and I've never known anyone else to have owned it