Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The Dem leadership has repeatedly said No New Structures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

theblackw0lf posted:

Ok the more I read about the current US-Mexico physical barriers the more I'm confused as to what the wall debate is about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico%E2%80%93United_States_barrier

The current physical barriers that exist are a mix of barbed wire fencing, and also "steel slats" which was what Trump started saying he wanted.

So if "wall" became "steel slats" for him, and steel slats is what we use already, than what's the debate about?

When we say Trump gets no wall money, and wall is steel slats, are we saying we're no longer willing to fund steel slats?

Keep thinking I'm missing something obvious.

You are overthinking it. Trump wants the Great Wall of China on the southern border. When people called him out for the obvious obsolescence of that, he went "wait, no, we are actually using modern materials like steel slats to make it! Totally different"

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Dem leadership has repeatedly said No New Structures.

Actually....

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/1/30/18202830/house-senate-border-security-deal

quote:

Democrats aren’t ruling out physical barriers in a border security deal

That's what started making me confused. Plus that there were new structures in the bill last year.

quote:

In the previous spending package put together by the Senate Appropriations Committee, Democrats and Republicans had agreed on $1.6 billion in funding for pedestrian fencing, which is technically a physical barrier along the border. Trump, meanwhile, has asked for $5.7 billion for a wall in his most recent request.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

He doesn't know what he wants, except to hurt brown people. The wall is code for "Hurt more brown people." He doesn't have any particular idea of how to hurt them, except in the ways he's already hurting them- the wall is just this mental construct that he's grafted his racism and xenophobia onto, but then he forgot that it was just a dog whistle because his brain is rotten. Media types are not allowed to point this out because they've gone too deep down the Everything Is Normal And Very Serious Discussions Are Taking Place rabbit hole. To turn around now and say "No wait actually none of this makes any loving sense, it's a garbage and unworkable idea from an idiot and no real human being supports the concept" would make them look like ridiculous assholes which is the one thing they fear most, so The Debate Rages On!

There is no policy preference, or explicit plan. If he gets any money he will waste it and declare victory. If he gets no money, he will declare victory anyway.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

Ok the more I read about the current US-Mexico physical barriers the more I'm confused as to what the wall debate is about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico%E2%80%93United_States_barrier

The current physical barriers that exist are a mix of barbed wire fencing, and also "steel slats" which was what Trump started saying he wanted.

So if "wall" became "steel slats" for him, and steel slats is what we use already, than what's the debate about?

When we say Trump gets no wall money, and wall is steel slats, are we saying we're no longer willing to fund steel slats?

Keep thinking I'm missing something obvious.

Trump seems to think it's an issue of framing, which is why he's agreeing to steel slats instead of a full on wall, because in his mind (information missing)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

theblackw0lf posted:

Actually....

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/1/30/18202830/house-senate-border-security-deal

That's what started making me confused. Plus that there were new structures in the bill last year.

Last year, the Dems were in a much weaker position and Republicans could have theoretically rammed anything through the House

Also
https://twitter.com/bkerogers/status/1091003167700144129

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It was stupid bullshit he cooked up to be elected and now he has to do it in some capacity or he's a failure. While already doing a bunch of other horrible poo poo to brown people, the wall is the linchpin of the whole deal and his major selling point other than putting Hillary in jail.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

He said something like 'sea to shining sea' (possibly with some typos and misspellings) at one point. That should be opposed. That's a stupid idea.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

CuddleCryptid posted:

You are overthinking it. Trump wants the Great Wall of China on the southern border. When people called him out for the obvious obsolescence of that, he went "wait, no, we are actually using modern materials like steel slats to make it! Totally different"

Yea but then he backtracked and started saying he'd be ok with extending our barriers to 700 miles instead of the 350 or whatever we have now.

I think the problem is he doesn't know what he wants and doesn't know what he can agree to that would appease Ann Coulter.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

and yet he wants stream launchers for the navy.

Mush brain is mush.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1091088740947320833

https://mobile.twitter.com/owillis/status/1091091878169247744

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Family Values posted:

He said something like 'sea to shining sea' (possibly with some typos and misspellings) at one point. That should be opposed. That's a stupid idea.

Sea to Shiny Sea

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Plus Pelosi knows she has the public advantage and Trump is just gonna scream about a wall. All she has to do is sound like an adult

Kale
May 14, 2010

This isn't terribly surprising considering he does jack poo poo but tweet all day but apparently Trump has like two meetings in his schedule this week, one of which is just Lunch with Pence and some White House staff and that's pretty much it. All kinds of time to just watch Fox News and tweet about whatever they tell him to think. On average apparently he's had one event a day all of January which is an insanely light schedule for any politician to have let alone the President.

https://factba.se/topic/calendar

This is his schedule. It basically on average starts around 10-11 and ends by 3.

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 31, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nice, so they just bullshited him and his dying brain bought it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Trump seems to think it's an issue of framing, which is why he's agreeing to steel slats instead of a full on wall, because in his mind (information missing)

It's even simpler than that: by reframing "steel slats" instead of a concrete wall, Trump could go to San Diego and the barrier there and claim that sections of the wall have been built, then ask his supporters or Congress for more money to finish the wall.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/SallyLHudson/status/1091088460054777867

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

CuddleCryptid posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about with this steel slats business, we've always been building a wall

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1090947003868213248

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Last year, the Dems were in a much weaker position and Republicans could have theoretically rammed anything through the House

They couldn't ram anything through the house because House republicans are a bunch of incompetent jabronis who have never actually crafted a bill in their lives. They owned like 3 quiznos in salt lick, nowhere, and ran against obama in 2010 and never had to actually do anything for half a decade.

The only bill things they managed to get through was a tax cut that was rewritten in the senate, and a repeal of the ACA that was passed with the threat they'd approve whatever the senate did to it.

Gorgeous Gorge
Jun 17, 2005
Why don't you go rub skulks with your onos?

PhazonLink posted:

and yet he wants stream launchers for the navy.

Mush brain is mush.
That one is easy to see why, a stream launcher means he could get his golden showers anywhere on earth.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Kale posted:

This isn't terribly surprising considering he does jack poo poo but tweet all day but apparently Trump has like two meetings in his schedule this week, one of which is just Lunch with Pence and some White House staff and that's pretty much it. All kinds of time to just watch Fox News and tweet about whatever they tell him to think. On average apparently he's had one event a day all of January which is an insanely light schedule for any politician to have let alone the President.

https://factba.se/topic/calendar

This is his schedule. It basically on average starts around 10-11 and ends by 3.

he's been tweeting a lot today, 16 so far

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sure they got us on tape saying you are a loving moron, but it was the media who reported that so not our fault

Also in regards to Trump committing more crimes than Mueller can keep up with:

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1090438449520431110

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Sarsapariller posted:

He doesn't know what he wants, except to hurt brown people. The wall is code for "Hurt more brown people." He doesn't have any particular idea of how to hurt them, except in the ways he's already hurting them- the wall is just this mental construct that he's grafted his racism and xenophobia onto, but then he forgot that it was just a dog whistle because his brain is rotten. Media types are not allowed to point this out because they've gone too deep down the Everything Is Normal And Very Serious Discussions Are Taking Place rabbit hole. To turn around now and say "No wait actually none of this makes any loving sense, it's a garbage and unworkable idea from an idiot and no real human being supports the concept" would make them look like ridiculous assholes which is the one thing they fear most, so The Debate Rages On!

There is no policy preference, or explicit plan. If he gets any money he will waste it and declare victory. If he gets no money, he will declare victory anyway.

But this can't be the case. There's got to be something I'm missing.

I honestly don't know what we have on the border. I know some if it is natural features, water, and then fencing in most places and walls near points of entry. And presumably the Democrats are okay with funding border security in general, and hell, maybe if it's funded better we'll be able to afford to take care of the children we cruelly detain!

Let's say Trump doesn't know what he wants but he wants a "wall". But Pelosi is saying "no wall funding". But presumably she knows the reality, right? So she shouldn't be saying "no wall funding", she should be saying "the entire discussion is nonsense, we have walling and fencing and modern measures, and ". Because *her* saying "no wall funding" is a complete non-sequitur.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Oh my god, get some generated gibberish off the internet for your photo op papers.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/NYMag/status/1090837161828589568

Please don't ask about the man who made this company.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Gorgeous Gorge posted:

That one is easy to see why, a stream launcher means he could get his golden showers anywhere on earth.

except he's also afraid of boats.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Trump's base is shrinking, he lost a major political struggle to Pelosi, the Senate is showing signs that they are finally fed up with Trump's poo poo, there's a very good chance he gets primaried for the 2020 election, and that's only if he lasts that long without getting impeached. The wall is all he has left; it's red meat for his base that he keeps throwing out to keep them loyal...only some of them have started to realize that the meat is rotten and overrun with maggots.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

That's pretty full on Dear Leader poo poo going on.

That reminds me of that poster, Presterjane, who was talking about compative cycle or something like that. Whatever happened to her?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

https://twitter.com/MichaelCBender/status/1091091718412398592

Kale
May 14, 2010

HappyHippo posted:

he's been tweeting a lot today, 16 so far

Jesus Christ, literally why would anyone vote for this guy again? He isn't even effective at getting his horrible agenda advanced which the Independent pointed out as the only good thing about his laziness so far. Like this is the kind of poo poo people regularly get fired for, spending too many days of their work time tweeting or on their phone instead of you know.....working and being productive.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Trump's base is shrinking, he lost a major political struggle to Pelosi, the Senate is showing signs that they are finally fed up with Trump's poo poo, there's a very good chance he gets primaried for the 2020 election, and that's only if he lasts that long without getting impeached. The wall is all he has left; it's red meat for his base that he keeps throwing out to keep them loyal...only some of them have started to realize that the meat is rotten and overrun with maggots.

I don't know man, the GOP flip flops constantly. You just need to look at Lindsey Graham who the media treats like this serious high ranking GOP figure and he's absolutely all over the place when it comes to Trump's actions seemingly just trying to give the media a sound bite for the day. It really does feel like they just owned up to being Trump's bitch and waiting for him to make the call when the GOP Senate Majority Leader refused to even so much as hold a vote for weeks on a bill to reopen the government until he said it was okay and then it was passed in a matter of hours.

Kale fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 31, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

Ideology.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The wall is dumb because everywhere it already made sense to have a wall, there was one. What are you going to do for the Rio Grande genius? Wall it off so only Mexico has access? Build it in the middle of the water?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Kale posted:

Jesus Christ, literally why would anyone vote for this guy again? He isn't even effective at getting his horrible agenda advanced which the Independent pointed out as the only good thing about his laziness so far. Like this is the kind of poo poo people regularly get fired for, spending too many days of their work time tweeting or on their phone instead of you know.....working and being productive.

"He says the awful poo poo I think out loud"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Crabtree posted:

https://twitter.com/NYMag/status/1090837161828589568

Please don't ask about the man who made this company.

Actually yes please don't. Why would anyone harass a drat barista? They are just trying to work a difficult food service job, leave them alone

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

7c Nickel posted:

The wall is dumb because everywhere it already made sense to have a wall, there was one. What are you going to do for the Rio Grande genius? Wall it off so only Mexico has access? Build it in the middle of the water?

It would be a floating wall, stupid.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1091088745191874562

but we did. we can watch it all.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

nice, so they just bullshited him and his dying brain bought it.

The Emperor's New Policy. Just tell Trump that the new policy is on the paper and he'll believe it, not wanting to look dumb.

But also that's clearly a piece of paper folded in half. You can see the layers of it at the edge.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Nah, the RNC is going full ride or die with Trump.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/rnc-push-undivided-support-trump-reelection-state-leaders/story%3fid=60603125

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

theblackw0lf posted:

Yea but then he backtracked and started saying he'd be ok with extending our barriers to 700 miles instead of the 350 or whatever we have now.

I think the problem is he doesn't know what he wants and doesn't know what he can agree to that would appease Ann Coulter.

This is exactly it. Trump knows absolutely nothing useful about border security. The most generous possible interpretation is that he wants to fund something that loosely fits his campaign promises, but i think even that's giving him too much credit. He just wants to win and to not look like he's backing down at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

theblackw0lf posted:

Actually....

That's the problem with these centrist/conservative dems trying to jump on the train now after years of being actually fine with stuff like this. I'm glad they're finally realizing how dumb that stuff is but yea it is a problem when even a complete idiot like Trump can say 'just a couple years ago you were fine with this'.

There needs to be a better effort to get out in front of this poo poo and actually explain why they were wrong before or something because the right has an actual good venue of attack when they say 'so you were fine with a fence/wall plan BEFORE but now you just hate Trump so it's bad?'