Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I actually have some of his Black 2.0 I picked up to experiment with. Not gotten around to anything yet but I have a couple of ideas.

I was thinking it may work pretty well for 'living shadows' for RPG or KOW Nightstalkers, just get some cheap minis (as most of the detail will be invisible anyway) and paint them pure black 2.0 to make 'em look like voids in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

I have backed it at the lowest tier; including shipping that's about $71 CAD for 150ml of paint. This is probably folly and I will probably withdraw my pledge later.

Offhand, I can use it post-varnish to go in and reinforce a few of the dark parts of the cracking and weathering on regular black armor, to set those cracks off more from the surrounding black armor and make them look deeper. This is a stupid thing to spend seventy bucks on, though.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Tried out some oil wash (though I probably used it thick enough to just be painting) on this escape pod that was red and washed with nuln oil already. Used lamp black to make the hull burned from fallin through atmosphere/crashing. Put most of the paint on the bottom end, then kind of streaked it towards the top with a brush.

Couple questions about using oil paints: is the oil paint still mutable after it dries if I apply spirits to it?
I seem to recall something about not putting acrylic over oil from a painting class, would that matter at miniature scale?

And another thought: will probably just try this out, but oil over a matte surface- how would that turn out?

Skails fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 31, 2019

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You can still work with the oil after it's dry by using spirit, but you get diminishing returns the longer you wait. I've worked with oil paint that was months old, and the results were interesting, but it took a lot of effort. You can paint over dry oils with an acrylic, I've done it, but typically I'll seal it in with a varnish first because I don't want to wait for it to dry. Finally, oil over gloss results in super smooth super easy capillary action, oil over matte results in handling that's more difficult to blend as it has more grip on the surface. Both have uses- experiment!

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 31, 2019

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
On the Stewart Semple paints: The Black 2.0 bottle I have is mcuh more gray than advertised. DOesn't look like the pictures at all, and more like a mildly black object that's covered in a layer of dust. The glow in the dark pigment I got was also pretty weak. Could be crappy quality control?

On the plus side, the Black 2.0 has really great flow properties, however, and makes a fantastic primer. Also smells very nice.

Stephenls posted:

I have backed it at the lowest tier; including shipping that's about $71 CAD for 150ml of paint. This is probably folly and I will probably withdraw my pledge later.

Offhand, I can use it post-varnish to go in and reinforce a few of the dark parts of the cracking and weathering on regular black armor, to set those cracks off more from the surrounding black armor and make them look deeper. This is a stupid thing to spend seventy bucks on, though.

Wait for it to hit his store proper, there's no way it's going to be that much.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
As it's currently Ice Planet Hoth outside, I used the time indoors to finish up some Chaos Cultists for Necromunda.

I think I went a little bit overboard on doing the rust on the bases, so for the next batch I'll tone it down a little. But it was fun experimenting with chalk pigments to try and get the bases looking all grimy and rusty.

2019 BEAST MODE
Jan 17, 2019
How humid is too humid to use spray can primer outside?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

2019 BEAST MODE posted:

How humid is too humid to use spray can primer outside?

Anything over 70%?? Although I’m sure there’s some spectrum that goes JUST TAKES LONGER TO DRY > ACTIVELY GETS IN TNE WAY OF SPRAY DROPLETS

As long as you have a decently large area in the house that small children and pets won’t be around, you don’t breathe the fumes while you’re spraying and you put a little fan up, I’ve not found it to be a problem. I think people freak out a little too much about it. Now if you’ll excuse me I have to get back in my iron lung.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Some aberrants and a hypermorph. I’m not sure what the sign the hypermorph is holding is supposed to represent but I assume it’s a future stop sign.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Badablack posted:

Some aberrants and a hypermorph. I’m not sure what the sign the hypermorph is holding is supposed to represent but I assume it’s a future stop sign.

Those are sick and I would totally make a warband of those bad boys for a This Is Not A Test campaign! Mutants ahoy~

Did anyone from acrylic pencil chat a while back find a set they liked / troubleshoot using them? I'm really bad at edge hilighting and I want to get better but I also want my mini's to not look terrible.

e: that wasn't even from this thread, it was from the 40k thread. my bad, now all you are left with is my shame in regards to edge hilighting.

Quidthulhu fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 1, 2019

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Finished up my goal for January just under the wire: Armiger Warglaive, 5x Sicarian Infiltrators, and 8x Crates.

Still not sure what will be my goal for February, as I've got a bunch of Adeptus Mechanicus sitting on spru. I might go for Kataphron Destroyers, as they are one of the few Admech units I don't have table-ready at the moment. On the other hand, I've got two Dragoons just calling out to me ...

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Quidthulhu posted:

Those are sick and I would totally make a warband of those bad boys for a This Is Not A Test campaign! Mutants ahoy~

Did anyone from acrylic pencil chat a while back find a set they liked / troubleshoot using them? I'm really bad at edge hilighting and I want to get better but I also want my mini's to not look terrible.

e: that wasn't even from this thread, it was from the 40k thread. my bad, now all you are left with is my shame in regards to edge hilighting.

I actually posted this then, but I misspoke originally. It's a watercolor pencil set, not acrylic. You can find tons on Amazon

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So you can’t use primer inside, but you also can’t use it in freezing temperatures... hmm. I have discovered a slight setback.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Airbrush primer is your friend. Your aerosolized friend that will stay with you forever without proper venting and protection.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Duct Tape posted:

Finished up my goal for January just under the wire: Armiger Warglaive, 5x Sicarian Infiltrators, and 8x Crates.

(super cool dollies)

Still not sure what will be my goal for February, as I've got a bunch of Adeptus Mechanicus sitting on spru. I might go for Kataphron Destroyers, as they are one of the few Admech units I don't have table-ready at the moment. On the other hand, I've got two Dragoons just calling out to me ...

Those look awesome, especially your Warglaive! I love your choice of colours!

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

CapnAndy posted:

So you can’t use primer inside, but you also can’t use it in freezing temperatures... hmm. I have discovered a slight setback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzieAGj3XK4

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
What's the best place to get small magnets suitable for magnetizing bases in the UK?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

CapnAndy posted:

Or can you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzieAGj3XK4

efb. I'm leaving it up.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Duct Tape posted:

I'm about to start assembling a squad of infiltrators and this is very helpful, hell yeah.

EDIT: Do you have any Kastelans? I'm painting mine up now and while I still have to shade them they look kind of...plain. But I'm also worried that if I go try to pick out every rivet they'll end up too busy. nm, went back and found them.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 1, 2019

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Another option would be badger stylenrez (sp?) or Vallejo airbrush primer and a brush.
Using brush on white primer can be a chore if you want paint white or very light colors - it won't go on evenly and you will still see streaks until you get enough layers of your base color down.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

CapnAndy posted:

You can. There's just a trick to ensuring it doesn't all go wrong.

Warm your mini up before and after priming, and GENTLY warm your can to room-ish temp. Also try to spray as close to the door as possible so you can be out and in asap.

The main reason you "can't" use spray paints in super-cold weather is because they react badly to condensation (especially mattes, gently caress you matte varnish!). The best way to repel condensation is to warm your target surface and paint before and after, leaving as little time as possible between.

Just don't overheat plastics, and don't go and put your rattlecan next to a fire or try to heat gun it. You can also make your can a little foam and fleece jacket that will help a little with the rapid cool down due to pressurised can physics.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I prime models indoors, but indoors in this case is my back basement on a drop cloth and I wear a respirator mask. Am I good? Or ded

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I mean I do it in my basement without a mask and I haven't died yet. But also I never prime more than like 5 models at a time so it's usually pretty quick.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Duct Tape posted:

Wow, these are great - that Armiger is menacing as hell.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I mean I do it in my basement without a mask and I haven't died yet. But also I never prime more than like 5 models at a time so it's usually pretty quick.

Yeah I've been doing the same over the winter months but I always make sure to turn on the table fan I specifically put there to clean out the air just a little bit. Not to mention regularly leave the room as I wait for the primer to dry.
But I'm sure I got a little of Chaos Black rot in my lungs regardless by this point.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yes, obviously don't hang around while they dry lol. I just go downstairs, spray my poo poo, go upstairs and play a round of KeyForge online then go get them. And that is just Nurgle's blessing on your lungs, you'll be fine.

And as far as humidity goes, I thought humidity was only relevant if the temperature is >= the dew point?

The only time I've ever had problems with priming was because I was simply holding the can too far away.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sab669 posted:

The only time I've ever had problems with priming was because I was simply holding the can too far away.

I've always been bad estimating the range so I probably just end up holding it too close in some cases. But it's been a while since I've managed to obscure details while priming so I guess I'm doing something right.

Also yeah, I just wander around the basement floor for a couple of minutes while waiting for stuff to dry in the workshop.

I have learned an important lesson though, using plastic trash bags for table cover is a bad idea because it doesn't soak up the dust and just leaves a thin black coating over it.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Duct Tape posted:

These are beautiful!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I was just gonna wait until tomorrow when it'll get back above freezing :shobon:

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

COPD, lung cancer and, to a lesser extent, bronchiectasis are loving hell to live with and you can live with it for years.

Spray your models outside you idiots.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BoneMonkey posted:

COPD, lung cancer and, to a lesser extent, bronchiectasis are loving hell to live with and you can live with it for years.

I grip the model’s base with my teeth and then spray directly at my own face.

I do make sure to do this outside, of course.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Xenomrph posted:

you gotta take a deep breath too in order to ensure even coverage

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

BoneMonkey posted:

And that is why I brought brush on primer. The fumes from the Tamyia pots are fun enough.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

You also only spray in silver to make your guys shiny and chrome.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Xenomrph posted:

I know (hope) you are joking. But people fall into long term damaging habits really easily.

And COPD really isn't worth any risk. Because it really loving sucks.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Zark the Damned posted:

You also only spray in silver to make your guys shiny and chrome.

That’s why I play Necrons. :v:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Unless you've got a decent spraybooth suited specifically to that purpose, don't use spraycans indoors. Even after the initial stink clears you've still got dangerous dust settling all over the space.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah I primed with a rattle can inside a few times, even with a respirator, and the stink drafted into my second story and lingered for a day. I only do it outside now. That poo poo is def toxic and will mutate your children.

I really dig your chevrons. Nice work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

BULBASAUR posted:

Yeah I primed with a rattle can inside a few times, even with a respirator, and the stink drafted into my second story and lingered for a day. I only do it outside now. That poo poo is def toxic and will mutate your children.
I primed some stuff inside a couple months ago - but only in the basement bathroom and only with the fan going full-blast. Even with that, my kids were like, "What is that smell?" Well, one of them was - the other was like, "What smells so good?" :sigh: I fully expect she'll be professionally huffing paint by the time she's 16.