Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

rodbeard posted:

Jacob's ladder somehow has so many people in random bit parts I forgot about. Jason Alexander, Lewis Black, Kyle Gass, Ving Rhames and Macaulay Culkin are all in it.

Thanks a lot butthead. I went to look up the cast list, and found out they're remaking it. Nothing is sacred. (They claim it's going to be more of a reimagining...)

Speaking of Silent Hill/Jacob's Ladder, this scene in particular was referenced pretty hard in SH3
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XtH-saNdmOs

The entire 'subway level' is pretty much that; I think the game even had a few camera angles that mimicked shots from JL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Thanks a lot butthead. I went to look up the cast list, and found out they're remaking it. Nothing is sacred. (They claim it's going to be more of a reimagining...)

I actually like remakes, a lot a times with new technology or with a better understanding of the source material you end up with a second chance and a more refined film. For example I'm pretty excited for the new Dune.

But what the ever living gently caress would be the God damned oval office punting point of remaking Jacob's loving Ladder?! It's near perfect? It holds up!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

To add to "fog and creepiness in videogames were inspired by other works" Half-Life was directly inspired by Stephen King's The Mist.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Flavor Truck posted:

There's some weird horror movie from the 80s I can't remember the name of. It's about a platoon of soldiers somewhere in the jungle(?) maybe Vietnam war era. There's some sort of alien snake or tendril in the muddy water that leaps out and injures or kills one of the soldiers. There's another scene in the same movie where another soldier, I think a black guy, starts repeating some sort of nonsense word over and over like he's crying, then he runs into the paddy and disappears. Seconds later there's an explosion like he stepped on a landmine or something. I can't for the life of me remember what it's called but I remember seeing those scenes as a kid and the memory stuck with me.

There's an asian horror called R Point about a group of soldiers sent to investigate a repeating distress call.
Not sure if this it the one you mean, don't remember a tendril thing in it.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

But what the ever living gently caress would be the God damned oval office punting point of remaking Jacob's loving Ladder?! It's near perfect? It holds up!
Needs more kids in danger, pop single OR nostalgic 80s compliation soundtrack, and a 3D release.

I, too, am upset by this remake.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

To add to "fog and creepiness in videogames were inspired by other works" Half-Life was directly inspired by Stephen King's The Mist.

Never heard this before but, y’know what, it makes perfect sense.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Never heard this before but, y’know what, it makes perfect sense.

Yep, and here's a blurb from Wikipedia, originally from Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar.

"The developers of the Half-Life video game series, which also deals with creatures from parallel dimensions breaking through to ours, have listed The Mist among their primary influences for the game plot.[3] The first game in the series was originally going to be called Quiver, as a reference to the Arrowhead Project from The Mist."

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

LadyPictureShow posted:

Speaking of Silent Hill/Jacob's Ladder, this scene in particular was referenced pretty hard in SH3
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XtH-saNdmOs

The entire 'subway level' is pretty much that; I think the game even had a few camera angles that mimicked shots from JL.

Also the tour of horrors throughout the hospital. I think a lot of the stuff in Jacob's Ladder that was later borrowed by Silent Hill was originally taken by Jacob's Ladder from some photographer whose name eludes me.

Why they don't just make a Silent Hill But Good movie, I have no idea.

Also I liked the Silent Hill movies but they weren't good.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I think the first one was "good" but Silent Hill deserves a great movie. Especially Silent Hill 2

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I think the first one was "good" but Silent Hill deserves a great movie. Especially Silent Hill 2

Yeah, the story and flow of Silent Hill 2, the game, would and could have worked as a film. Instead of cramming pyramid head into the first film, they could have introduced him where and when he belonged but whatever. Done deal now.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I think the first Silent Hill movie is nearly great but it needed to move all of the exposition to the husband in the real world and keep the wife's story entirely dreamlike. They leave the exposition bomb to the wife and kind of makes the husband's story pointless.

I really do love the movie, including the very video gamey nature of "stick hand in hole to get switch" puzzle solutions.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The only thing I remember from the first Silent Hill movie was the scene of Pyramidhead degloving that lady's entire body.

I was really excited for that movie since I used to be a fan of Roger Avary's (Killing Zoe and Rules of Attraction are still on my favorites list), but Silent Hill was pretty forgettable, and then the piece of poo poo director went and killed someone while drunk driving so it's gently caress that guy forever.

Anukahn
Jul 22, 2006

My brain hurts
It was the 90s or a bit before as my older brother had this in VHS. Title starting by S? I'm pretty sure it was a regular word stilized with an X or a Z. It was about life in the hood/possibly hip hop or street art involved. Distinctly remember a group of black people talking around a car in a corner. Also possible my brain made all this up as the aforementiones brother doesnt remember this at all.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Anukahn posted:

It was the 90s or a bit before as my older brother had this in VHS. Title starting by S? I'm pretty sure it was a regular word stilized with an X or a Z. It was about life in the hood/possibly hip hop or street art involved. Distinctly remember a group of black people talking around a car in a corner. Also possible my brain made all this up as the aforementiones brother doesnt remember this at all.

Style Wars?

Anukahn
Jul 22, 2006

My brain hurts

codyclarke posted:

Style Wars?

no, but thanks for trying!

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Hopefully someone has a line on this. Doe anyone have a link to the full video of the Robert Oppenheimer interview that contains famous Baghvad Gita quote?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb13ynu3Iac

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Trying this one again:

Don't wanna poison the well with details that may be wrong, so only what I remember: A viking ritual suicide where it's like a seppuku thing, only you take out your intestine, attach it to this big boulder and walk around, wrapping your intestines around it until you die.

Some old dude agrees to do this to save his son or something like that?

fake edit: Found it before even hitting post, but posting anyway because someone might get a kick out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukx_61Um4ls

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Anukahn posted:

Strapped? It did have a number of rappers in it, and was about a man and his gf trying to get out of the hood.

Most likely not, but is there anything else you remember about the movie?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

There is a young man and young lady (maybe teens) on a train in a city. When the camera is looking at the girl from the boy's point of view, the bokeh effect on the lights in the background of the girl is in the shape of hearts. When she looks at him, her point of view shows the bokeh effect as Xs. They talk for a bit and eventually it is hearts for both of them.

Second movie is just a clip I saw that has two people in some ridiculous motorcycle jousting battle where they are doing over the top stunts and the whole thing just makes you roll your eyes at how bad it is. Also, there is a LOT of product placement for either Pepsi or Mountain Dew.

Anukahn posted:

I've never seen it, but maybe Boyz N the Hood?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

SkunkDuster posted:

There is a young man and young lady (maybe teens) on a train in a city. When the camera is looking at the girl from the boy's point of view, the bokeh effect on the lights in the background of the girl is in the shape of hearts. When she looks at him, her point of view shows the bokeh effect as Xs. They talk for a bit and eventually it is hearts for both of them.

Second movie is just a clip I saw that has two people in some ridiculous motorcycle jousting battle where they are doing over the top stunts and the whole thing just makes you roll your eyes at how bad it is. Also, there is a LOT of product placement for either Pepsi or Mountain Dew.

I've never seen it, but maybe Boyz N the Hood?

Second one is Torque.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

Second one is Torque.

I just watched the clip. It is every bit as bad as I remembered it. Thanks!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

SkunkDuster posted:

Scott Pilgrim vs The World, the scene with Scott and Ramona on the bus.

Edit: Dis one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSE4dF_Feng

SkunkDuster posted:

I just watched the clip. It is every bit as bad as I remembered it. Thanks!

I loving love everything about Torque. Someone told me once (and Ive never looked it up to find out if this is true out of fear of disappointment) that the director told half the cast that they were making a serious action film hoping it would be a fast and the furious style franchise, and the other half that they were making a parody of the fast and the furious. Its probably not true, but drat its fun to watch that movie and try and guess who is taking it seriously. The motor bike product placement duel, the giant key, just Ice Cube in general, how can anyone not love that movie?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

SiKboy posted:

Scott Pilgrim vs The World, the scene with Scott and Ramona on the bus.

Edit: Dis one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSE4dF_Feng

I loving love everything about Torque. Someone told me once (and Ive never looked it up to find out if this is true out of fear of disappointment) that the director told half the cast that they were making a serious action film hoping it would be a fast and the furious style franchise, and the other half that they were making a parody of the fast and the furious. Its probably not true, but drat its fun to watch that movie and try and guess who is taking it seriously. The motor bike product placement duel, the giant key, just Ice Cube in general, how can anyone not love that movie?

Thanks!

I've never seen all of Torque - only that clip. After reading your description, I'm interested in watching the whole thing.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

SkunkDuster posted:

Thanks!

I've never seen all of Torque - only that clip. After reading your description, I'm interested in watching the whole thing.

It's either an earnest hilariously terrible movie, or a spot-on parody. I've seen it probably half a dozen times and I'm still not sure which. Either way its entertaining!

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

SiKboy posted:

It's either an earnest hilariously terrible movie, or a spot-on parody. I've seen it probably half a dozen times and I'm still not sure which. Either way its entertaining!

I think Torque is genius parody. They even have them deliver the "live my life a quarter mile at a time" line followed by "that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard". The do bike Kung Fu in front of huge product placement. And Adam Scott gets to be the gman who doesn't play by the rules. It's so good, until you realize that the F&F franchise later lapped them in the unreality aspect. Right now it might seem too grounded to be parody.

Edit: They use a giant oversize key to start this sequence. This whole sequence is gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlJipJ_i9sg

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ape Agitator posted:

I think Torque is genius parody. They even have them deliver the "live my life a quarter mile at a time" line followed by "that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard". The do bike Kung Fu in front of huge product placement. And Adam Scott gets to be the gman who doesn't play by the rules. It's so good, until you realize that the F&F franchise later lapped them in the unreality aspect. Right now it might seem too grounded to be parody.

Edit: They use a giant oversize key to start this sequence. This whole sequence is gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlJipJ_i9sg

Oh dang, that reminds me of a Youtube video I saw years ago which was a fake trailer for a movie about a cop trying to infiltrate the illegal streebike racing scene in his city, except the bikes were hilariously tiny. I think the people behind the video got the idea when they won a toy motorbike in a carnival game and realised they could actually ride it. At one point the characters fight and one guy pulls his motorbike from behind his back like he's pulling a switchblade. Also the main character gets shot in the head but I think he just shrugs it off?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh dang, that reminds me of a Youtube video I saw years ago which was a fake trailer for a movie about a cop trying to infiltrate the illegal streebike racing scene in his city, except the bikes were hilariously tiny. I think the people behind the video got the idea when they won a toy motorbike in a carnival game and realised they could actually ride it. At one point the characters fight and one guy pulls his motorbike from behind his back like he's pulling a switchblade. Also the main character gets shot in the head but I think he just shrugs it off?

Toy Boyz!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3wwJDHmwtWM

I think one of them was a goon at one point?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

I remember this as toy boys, but am not finding it under that title efb

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

An 80s action film, and at one point the villain taunts the hero by saying "Dying time!"

I kind of want to say Highlander, but I'm not 100% sure.

edit: just found it. Wasn't an 80s movie, but an episode of Red Dwarf, "The Last Day."

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 7, 2019

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
The guy announcing in Thunderdome says something similar to that in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

EDIT - About 1:40 here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHU6K47qgc8&t=95s

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 7, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

YES. It's still as great as I remembered. :v:

Edit: Holy moley they also made The Curse Of Cheddar Bay, another certified internet classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l--BvXpaGq4

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Edit: Holy moley they also made The Curse Of Cheddar Bay, another certified internet classic

LOL, I was going to mention they did Cheddar Bay as well (but wasn't sure if anybody but me remembered it).

I still show people those two videos

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
What was the movie that ends with the villain fleeing through the snow and the protagonist dropping him with a single shot from something like a bolt-action rifle from very long range?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Maha posted:

What was the movie that ends with the villain fleeing through the snow and the protagonist dropping him with a single shot from something like a bolt-action rifle from very long range?

That sounds like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but I can't be sure since I've blocked the memory of that movie from my mind for the most part.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

That sounds like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but I can't be sure since I've blocked the memory of that movie from my mind for the most part.

Right you are! Yeah, it wasn't good. The comic was a little better.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MY BOYS

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I've got one. A low budget TV movie from the 90s about killer bees. I remember a scene where there was a workman sticking his head in an old utility building and getting murdered by the bees inside. The camera shot was from the outside so all we saw was his legs flailing around.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-RvAB2F81sg

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
That's the one, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Holy crap, I love killer bee movies and hadn't seen that one.