Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

ICHIBAHN posted:

Yep. Felt like I wasted an hour on this epa. Also drag Thailand stuff can go in the bin / its own thread tia

ICHIBAHN posted:

I stan a separate thread

ICHIBAHN posted:

Time for a DRT thread
Your tone seems very pointed right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You've been working and it shows

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Anyway, watching season 4 again. What happened to Milan postshow? Did they quit drag?

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

ICHIBAHN posted:

Anyway, watching season 4 again. What happened to Milan postshow? Did they quit drag?

According to his IMDB page, he quit drag https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3774712/

However this information is from 2015 at latest.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
There's no reason to have two separate drag-television threads, the same people'd post in both of them with similar content. Just skip the DRT posts if you don't care about it, you big loving baby.

Anyway this episode should have been a Manila-Trinity win, but I can understand them wanting to give Latrice a win after she comes back, plus stepping outside her comfort zone on the runway, whatever. Latrice probably did a lot more in the challenge than we saw, I'm guessing, since there's no indication how long Michelle and the other VIPs stayed there/how long they filmed for. This was a really good challenge, probably my favorite in awhile.

I do agree with what people have said about Monet's runway looks, too, but I did think she looked really beautiful tonight!! She has definitely improved a lot from her first time on, but still has a lot of issues with fit and taste level. I think her and Monique's club was my favorite. They have such fun chemistry.

Excited for next season, too, some of these girls seem really cool (Really interested in Soju, Plastique is beautiful, and of course Vanjie) but goddamn I hope maybe they slow down on All Stars a bit after this or do some kinda new gimmick because it is getting to be too much of a good thing and all of these girls are definitely not All Stars material.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

We'll see how it goes as the broadcast goes on but Valentina is SO CUTE in Rent.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I am very over RENT at this time in my life, but it meant a lot to me once upon a time, and I'm super excited to see Val as Angel.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pinwiz11 posted:

We'll see how it goes as the broadcast goes on but Valentina is SO CUTE in Rent.

esperterra posted:

I am very over RENT at this time in my life, but it meant a lot to me once upon a time, and I'm super excited to see Val as Angel.

Turns out that Valentina can't sing for poo poo. I'm kind of bummed by it.

They really need to turn down the volume though on that audience microphone. All I can hear is the audience screaming.

Edit: I want to marry the actor who plays Marc SO hard.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 28, 2019

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Not being able to perform most of the show live really hurt my enjoyment, and then I switched over to the Royal Rumble.

Thankfully, I got to see Take Me or Leave Me so I'm satisfied.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Valentina has a good voice, imo, but yeah idk how strong it is since her music theatre days. There's some video of her high school production of Beauty and the Beast and she sounds good there. But that was also like ten years ago lol.

I wonder how bad the performances are in general since this is 90% pre recorded from last night's dress rehearsal lmao. One of the actors broke his foot last night and only the finale number will be live. Shady imo to not let them edit in some cleaner vocals overall if they're not doing it live any more.

e: also yeah i hear the audience is baaaad. like poo poo this is a play not a concert

e2: how's the rumble?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

esperterra posted:

Becky won the Women's Rumble, so A+

The Funeral scene killed me. :qq:

Also, lol:

https://twitter.com/michcoll/status/1089725662594777089

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I saw Rent in a small theater in San Francisco and and it was basically the most perfect theater experience, so I made the choice not to watch the TV version, and after seeing Twitter I am kind of glad of that.

Pangina just tweeted that she's going to be at Drag Con and I have to admit after seeing their lineup, it'd probably be a pretty fun experience. If I wasn't already traveling for various weddings and dwarf stuff I would be real tempted.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

https://twitter.com/Yoshirox10/status/1089724385563295745?s=19

:( poor Telenovela Brown

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

https://twitter.com/michcoll/status/1089736654254993408?s=19

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

hahahahahahahahah

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

holy poo poo lmao

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
I know this question has probably been asked but how was Manila's period dress in bad taste but Trinity's perverted naked granny was fine? What the gently caress was that?

That was seriously the worst lip sync since the I Will Survive double elimination.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

My reading of it was they didn't outright tell Manilla she couldn't wear the outfit. They were just iffy about it and were like... Do you have a backup? She said yeah so that was that. I may be giving them too much credit though.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

resting mitch face posted:

I know this question has probably been asked but how was Manila's period dress in bad taste but Trinity's perverted naked granny was fine? What the gently caress was that?

Women as objects = funny.
Women as people with functions = gross.

There's a whole lot of hosed up misogyny in drag

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I finally got to see DRT episode 3 and boy was it great. First of all, DRT just has so much more energy in the room than US drag race does these days and it's really infectious. I've been looking forward to DRT each week more than og drag race tbh. The judges are 100% engaged at all times, I love that the runway room is as rowdy as a show at a dive bar, and the challenges are creative and really push the queens to do something new every time.

I really need Srimala to go because she is basic as gently caress. Toddler makeup and outfits on a chunky boy body. Her humor must really play well in Thai because I can't see what has the judges so hooked on her.

OK, now ep 3 stuff:

Last things first, Kana's lipsync was loving AMAZING. She brought so much energy, big moves, and total ferocity. And mega bonus points for playing into the whole phone theme of the song.

Maya was amazing and straight up assassinated the whole ep. Gimhuay's look was solid, but it is a little shady that she borrowed someone else's theme from a couple weeks ago.

lmao Thai folks really hate Indians huh... I guess every drag race has to have its problematic bits. Wonder what horrible gags DRUK will have at the expense of the Irish.

wtf is a CROCODILE LORD and how can I get in on that?

I think they were too hard on Tormai. I liked her looks and her theme came through fine. I even liked that her "beautiful" look was more tomboyish and cute than a runway stunner bitch. I would have given her spot on the bottom to Srimala.

Finally, I just want to say that I'm really refreshed by how multilingual this show is. They have queens speaking 3 languages on here and the hosts are able to shift through most of them pretty well. Imagine how much better some of the Puerto Rican girls would have done if OGDR had english-spanish bilingual hosts who could also pick up and drop latinx cultural references.

I think if OGDR is gonna keep going they really need to start reaching more into talent pools outside of NY and LA and that's gonna require getting more multicultural. It'll make the show more fresh too. I'll keep watching but I'm not gonna lie, I sighed a bit when I saw there was a whole gaggle of Davenports on Season 11. We're just gonna keep getting the same jokes and the same styles if we just keep getting queens from the same scenes. To homer for a sec, Trixie's gotta be one of the biggest surprise successes out of drag race and she came from shithole rural wisconsin and came up through loving Milwaukee, a city whose entire concentration of gay clubs exists on two blocks of a single street a couple miles from downtown, only two of which even host regular shows anymore. gently caress, the most active queer bar there anymore is Walker's Pint which is a TERFy-as-poo poo lesbian bar up the block from La Cage. My point being, there's a wealth of perspectives and cultures just in the US and its territories that we haven't seen at all in 15 seasons of drag race, and even more if you want to stretch your horizons to all of North America. Let's get multicultural Ru.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pellisworth posted:

Your tone seems very pointed right now.

seriously, like all his posts in this thread are just moaning about how other people are posting. it's old.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
False

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

And now Courtney Act is also doing Australia's Dancing With The Stars opposite her attempt to represent at Eurovision... :allears:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pinwiz11 posted:

And now Courtney Act is also doing Australia's Dancing With The Stars opposite her attempt to represent at Eurovision... :allears:

Will she have a male or female dance partner?

I always wondered what I would do if I was in a situation like that and I think I'd insist on a woman partner. I'm gay and you ain't boxing me into no stinking ballroom gender roles.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
idk how that's supposed to work, it seems to me that the very act of tucking is incompatible with ballroom

:haw:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Trig Discipline posted:

idk how that's supposed to work, it seems to me that the very act of tucking is incompatible with ballroom

:haw:

Ffffffuuuuuck

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Boooooooooooooooooooooo :)

According to the pic she has a male partner, although I would assume doesn't preclude the Pro and Shane doing a number too.

https://twitter.com/courtneyact/status/1090311642687197186

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Pinwiz11 posted:

Boooooooooooooooooooooo :)

According to the pic she has a male partner, although I would assume doesn't preclude the Pro and Shane doing a number too.

https://twitter.com/courtneyact/status/1090311642687197186

Read it as “twinking” and now I’m a little disappointed.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
You're a treasure, Trig Discipline

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

esperterra posted:

Valentina has a good voice, imo, but yeah idk how strong it is since her music theatre days. There's some video of her high school production of Beauty and the Beast and she sounds good there. But that was also like ten years ago lol.

I wonder how bad the performances are in general since this is 90% pre recorded from last night's dress rehearsal lmao. One of the actors broke his foot last night and only the finale number will be live. Shady imo to not let them edit in some cleaner vocals overall if they're not doing it live any more.

e: also yeah i hear the audience is baaaad. like poo poo this is a play not a concert

Valentina was probably one of the weaker singing voices in the cast but we were also watching a final dress rehearsal, and some actors don’t give it their all because they want to save their voice for opening night. Therefore we probably didn’t get to see the actors at their best the other night.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Stabitha posted:

Valentina was probably one of the weaker singing voices in the cast but we were also watching a final dress rehearsal, and some actors don’t give it their all because they want to save their voice for opening night. Therefore we probably didn’t get to see the actors at their best the other night.

A final dress rehearsal, with an audience, should be as good as the opening show, but yeah Valentina wasn't the only one who was shaky. The girl playing Mimi came off as incredibly nervous for the entire runtime and kinda stopped the Mimi/Roger storyline dead in its tracks for me, which is a biiiiig part of RENT's runtime. The pre-recorded Contact segment was really good, though. Valentina owned that. Valentina owned the character of Angel in general, imo. Her performance was great and it's a shame her vocals were so off for a lot of the pre-recorded stuff-- I thought everyone sounded way better in the live finale.

I really loved their Mark and Joanne, and Vanessa Hudgens made Maureen actually likeable ???? so overall I'm glad I watched it.

fwiw Willam said on Race Chaser this week that the Friday night dress rehearsal was a lot stronger, and Valentina sang a lot better there-- tho still not as strong as actual music theatre performers who have done the role. Sounds like Saturday was a weird off day for like half the cast lol

e: also in Today 4 U, Valentina sounded less like she didn't know how to sing and more like she was really loving out of breath lmao. The choreo for that scene was p intense (and they didn't even put in the table jump!) and I doubt Val has much experience with controlling her voice to sing while moving around like that. She was better in stuff where she was more stationary or the vocal was pre recorded.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wouldn't say Mimi was nervous looking at all

Agree about Valentinta though

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I got bored

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

esperterra posted:

I got bored

I loving love lost in translation

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Ahahahahahahahahaha. LOVE IT

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

jit bull transpile posted:

I think if OGDR is gonna keep going they really need to start reaching more into talent pools outside of NY and LA and that's gonna require getting more multicultural. It'll make the show more fresh too. I'll keep watching but I'm not gonna lie, I sighed a bit when I saw there was a whole gaggle of Davenports on Season 11. We're just gonna keep getting the same jokes and the same styles if we just keep getting queens from the same scenes. To homer for a sec, Trixie's gotta be one of the biggest surprise successes out of drag race and she came from shithole rural wisconsin and came up through loving Milwaukee, a city whose entire concentration of gay clubs exists on two blocks of a single street a couple miles from downtown, only two of which even host regular shows anymore. gently caress, the most active queer bar there anymore is Walker's Pint which is a TERFy-as-poo poo lesbian bar up the block from La Cage. My point being, there's a wealth of perspectives and cultures just in the US and its territories that we haven't seen at all in 15 seasons of drag race, and even more if you want to stretch your horizons to all of North America. Let's get multicultural Ru.

I mean hey, they've got a Canadian this time around, that's pretty diverse. :D

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

esperterra posted:

I got bored

I love this

somebody make one for Radiohead's video for Just next

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Finally saw the Season 11 Ruveal thanks to the Rucap for episode 2 and........whew. That was a choice.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

The S11 Ruveal was so bad. It looked like it was shot in someone's uncle's basement. I came out of it liking only two of the queens. Then I saw the MTQ videos and oh boy -- they do have personalities!

Even before the MTQs came out, my brother in Ohio linked me this piece on Nina West. I've heard of her before, but this was an endearing re-intro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlTjoe_GoJE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Does anyone think Monique is getting a winner's edit? She is basically providing the entire narrative. I feel like every episode opens with Monique.