Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I think it's their silly little paws and perfect faces with whiskers!

It’s just the toxoplasmosis speaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

Hoodwinker posted:

Can I upsell you on a horse instead?

I live in a suburban neighborhood and a horse would cause quite a commotion. I'll think I'll get a cat instead.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Watch the short Netflix documentary "The Lion in your Living Room" and you will see that our species has, for thousands of years, had this exact same attitude.

Despite their personalities and total lack of contribution to society (dogs are far better at killing vermin, and early cats basically lived in our garbage) we have always loved those lazy fuckers

I think it's their silly little paws and perfect faces with whiskers!

but is it kinda true for cats to have different personalities or temperaments?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Cats seem a bit withholding with their affection so it can feel like you've earned it, providing not only the physical comfort but the idea that you are worthy of something nice.

I also want a cat but my husband is allergic so I got a pair of rats instead. They were free because someone "couldn't afford to keep them" (was a hoarder and voluntarily surrendered them rather than going to jail). I'm happy with my purchase.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Out of all the animals, rats seem like they would be the easiest to hoard.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

BonerGhost posted:

Cats seem a bit withholding with their affection so it can feel like you've earned it, providing not only the physical comfort but the idea that you are worthy of something nice.

I also want a cat but my husband is allergic so I got a pair of rats instead. They were free because someone "couldn't afford to keep them" (was a hoarder and voluntarily surrendered them rather than going to jail). I'm happy with my purchase.

how does one earn a cat's respect?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Fruity20 posted:

how does one earn a cat's respect?
By not being such a little bitch :boom:

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

BonerGhost posted:

This is highly variable. Some cats never give affection to anyone. Some cats (like mine) give it to anyone and everyone. He'll actively fight me pushing him off my lap. He'll crawl right onto people he's never seen before if they sit down. I had to lock him away in another room once because he wouldn't leave the Comcast guy alone.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Enchanted Hat posted:

Out of all the animals, rats seem like they would be the easiest to hoard.

Once you got a pair they basically hoard themselves

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Fruity20 posted:

but is it kinda true for cats to have different personalities or temperaments?

For sure. Visit an adoption center/shelter and interact with a few cats. Some places will even have profiles on the cats' personalities.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

Once you got a pair they basically hoard themselves

Counterpoint: they're not Jurassic Park dinosaurs with the ability to spontaneously switch sex to reproduce.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Dogs: better than cats.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I guess I like their Tangy Citrus flavor and vitamin C, but nothing compares to the crisp sweetness of a Gala

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Oranges: better than apples.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

the crisp sweetness of a Gala

Envy or nothing.

Edit: incidentally, envy is a common cause of a lot of BWM stories too.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
get chickens

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

pikachode posted:

get chickens

This is the answer. Free eggs.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
BWM unpopular opinion x PI crossover time- I totally get people who won’t surrender their animals when they’re financially strained due to sudden job loss or other financial trouble and I agree with their actions. Unless they’re going to be homeless or the animal suffers, keeping the animal is psychologically beneficial to them and to surrender the pet would be emotionally crushing during a vulnerable time.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I got B U R G L E D while I was at work.

BFC: Turns out my insurance has an insane amount of exclusions and barely any of the stolen stuff is covered

PI: My two kitties don't even seem to have noticed. Bet they asked the fuckin' burglar(s) for kibbles

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 31, 2019

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I got robbed while I was at work.

BFC: Turns out my insurance has an insane amount of exclusions and barely any of the stolen stuff is covered

PI: My two kitties don't even seem to have noticed. Bet they asked the fuckin' burglar(s) for kibbles
I'm gonna pedant the poo poo out of you, but only because you're Chris: you got burgled, not robbed.

Sorry your poo poo got jacked though.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
God dammit! I've nitpicked so many people for that exact thing. HUBRIS

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I got B U R G L E D while I was at work.

That sucks man. What did you lose?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
$3k of firearms (not covered)

$10k ring (only $2k covered)

$2k in electronics (covered)

And a bunch of poo poo that's worth much if anything all, like my phone charger, a 10+ year old laptop that won't start up, a fancy electronic laser dot cat toy, lovely Bluetooth speaker

Feels lame that I have $10,000 of coverage but am only getting $2k of stolen $15k reimbursed. Death to America

My M2 was parked in the garage with the keys on a ring 10 feet away. They either didn't go in the garage or weren't up for grand theft auto.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Did you actually, you know, read your policy when you bought it?

BWM: paying for insurance but not knowing what it covers

Edit: condolences, though, home burglaries are loving terrible

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I chose the policy 8 years ago when I didn't own any jewelry, and it's standard to exclude firearms from coverage. They usually live in a safe, but of course sometimes they don't make it back in after a range session.

I only bought the ring a couple weeks ago because.. reasons

:(

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

At the very least you can be happy that now you've probably inspired about 50 people to go double check their insurance policies.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I tend to inspire self-improvement everywhere I go

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Don't do what GoGoGadgetChris does.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I only bought the ring a couple weeks ago because.. reasons

Maybe I watch too much TV but getting burgled two weeks after buying a $10k ring is a bit ironic. Don’t you think?

Sorry man.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Easychair Bootson posted:

Maybe I watch too much TV but getting burgled two weeks after buying a $10k ring is a bit ironic. Don’t you think?

A little too ironic, and yeah I really do think

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I tend to inspire self-improvement everywhere I go

I don't care what anyone says, I think you're a good poster.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

$3k of firearms (not covered)

$10k ring (only $2k covered)

$2k in electronics (covered)

And a bunch of poo poo that's worth much if anything all, like my phone charger, a 10+ year old laptop that won't start up, a fancy electronic laser dot cat toy, lovely Bluetooth speaker

Feels lame that I have $10,000 of coverage but am only getting $2k of stolen $15k reimbursed. Death to America

My M2 was parked in the garage with the keys on a ring 10 feet away. They either didn't go in the garage or weren't up for grand theft auto.
You know you can add coverage for firearms to your policy, right? Same with jewelry.

Though, "buying a $10k ring and not insuring it" is definitely BWM. I'm surprised your insurance company isn't questioning it, honestly.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Thanatosian posted:

Though, "buying a $10k ring" is definitely BWM.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Death to deBeers

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

BMan posted:

Thanatosian posted:

Though, "buying a $10k ring" is definitely BWM.

I beg to differ :v:

The one I bought was almost $10k, insured for $14k and is probably the greatest decision I’ve made in my life in addition to being GWM (as my salary went from $60k to $150k and hers went from $80k to $110k) :getin:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So you're saying this person would not have married you if you'd spent a lot less money on the ring?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Cacafuego posted:

The one I bought was almost $10k, insured for $14k and is probably the greatest decision I’ve made in my life in addition to being GWM (as my salary went from $60k to $150k and hers went from $80k to $110k) :getin:

:thermidor::hf::thermidor:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cacafuego posted:

Must...resist...urge...to...selfpost.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Homeboy bought a $10k ring on a $60k salary?

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Titanium rings are like $7 and might protect you slightly if squished. What you can't cheap out on is a grill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Hey baby I was gonna propose to you with this ~fancy ring~ but I got all burgled and such. Hey wait where you going?

sadus posted:

Titanium rings are like $7 and might protect you slightly if squished. What you can't cheap out on is a grill

*looks at wife’s $1400 ring bought while student*
*looks at Kamado Joe grill*

It checks out guys