Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
It's kind of frightening standing next to a good TRIPP operator - they rip ties out on the order of 10 seconds per tie, including moving the machine to the next one. No subtlety in movements, whole machine kind of bangs around from the direction changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Is there any reason why the USA still uses wooden ties? I thought concrete was pretty much the standard every rail was moving to?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Fundamentally... it'd be a big expensive changeover both changing the ties and buying all new equipment to service it. There's some concrete stuff here and there but there's billions of wood ties in the US rail system.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Is there any reason why the USA still uses wooden ties? I thought concrete was pretty much the standard every rail was moving to?

Cheaper, absorbs noise better and actually performs better under a few conditions I can't remember.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Klaus Kinski posted:

Cheaper, absorbs noise better and actually performs better under a few conditions I can't remember.

Performs better for freight work, IIRC. Most of the Northeast Corridor is concrete though.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

It really is almost purely because cheaper. Concrete ties are more than twice as expensive as wood (ignoring the fact they require different equipment to do) and only last about 30% longer on most climates. This in the context where there's all sorts of push by the class 1 railroads to cut operating costs.

Also, actually looking it up, I wasn't far off - almost a billion ties in the United States.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I've also heard (6 years ago, could have been new developments) that track with concrete ties is more prone to shifting side to side because the ballast/tie interaction isn't there to lock them in place. Wood tie track, after a tie replacement or surfacing, will have speed restrictions until 1) enough trains with enough weight have passed, or 2) a dynamic tamper is run over the track (huge machine the size of a locomotive that vibrates everything). This is so the ballast stone has a chance to deform and press into the ties a little and lock them in place.

Make two fists and push them together, knuckle to knuckle, so that they fit together like gear teeth. Now try to slide them across each other while pushing together. Not very easy, they're locked in place. This is why ballast stones are the size and shape they are, they lock together under pressure and lock the wood ties as well. Concrete ties won't deform like this, and have to rely on shapes or ridges cast into them to lock into the ballast. Steel ties rely on a sort of shovel edge to keep them from sliding sideways, too.

e: here's a picture of old track taken out, you can see where the ballast was poking into the ties on the sides. (Ignore the tops of the ties - they shouldn't be worn down like that. They were sitting under a competitor's road crossing material.)

NoWake fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 9, 2019

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I forgot about the track stabilizers but yeah, that's a point. They're still only around 50 tons - biggest thing on a surfacing gang but smaller than locomotives. Most of this stuff gets trucked to a siding and cranes into position so it's a pain to have it too heavy. There's a few companies working on road transportable surfacing stuff with semi type wheels that can be trucked a rail crossing instead but I don't know if they're in production anywhere yet.

I just feel like if the money were in favor, concrete ties would happen pretty quick. Last gang I was doing testing with, the other track was all concrete ties whereas the one we were working were rotted to hell.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

All the HSR lines I've seen have concrete ties.

And once you've got the equipment wouldn't 30% increased lifespan be a pretty big improvement? I would be surprised if the cost of the ties was significant compared to the total cost of replacing them.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

That's long term. Short term it costs enough more that it's not something anyone is going to risk their jobs by hurting quarterly numbers.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

NoWake posted:

I've also heard (6 years ago, could have been new developments) that track with concrete ties is more prone to shifting side to side because the ballast/tie interaction isn't there to lock them in place. Wood tie track, after a tie replacement or surfacing, will have speed restrictions until 1) enough trains with enough weight have passed, or 2) a dynamic tamper is run over the track (huge machine the size of a locomotive that vibrates everything). This is so the ballast stone has a chance to deform and press into the ties a little and lock them in place.

Make two fists and push them together, knuckle to knuckle, so that they fit together like gear teeth. Now try to slide them across each other while pushing together. Not very easy, they're locked in place. This is why ballast stones are the size and shape they are, they lock together under pressure and lock the wood ties as well. Concrete ties won't deform like this, and have to rely on shapes or ridges cast into them to lock into the ballast. Steel ties rely on a sort of shovel edge to keep them from sliding sideways, too.

e: here's a picture of old track taken out, you can see where the ballast was poking into the ties on the sides. (Ignore the tops of the ties - they shouldn't be worn down like that. They were sitting under a competitor's road crossing material.)

If that was thought to be a big enough advantage, it would be possible to cast a textured pattern into the side of concrete ties that could help the ballast 'lock in'. There has got to be more going on with the decision between concrete or wood for laying track.

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

EoRaptor posted:

If that was thought to be a big enough advantage, it would be possible to cast a textured pattern into the side of concrete ties that could help the ballast 'lock in'. There has got to be more going on with the decision between concrete or wood for laying track.

I was told the opposite 15 years ago when I did an internship in a perway maintenance office; the extra weight of a concrete sleeper keeps it in position better than a timber one.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

pointsofdata posted:

And once you've got the equipment wouldn't 30% increased lifespan be a pretty big improvement? I would be surprised if the cost of the ties was significant compared to the total cost of replacing them.
That’s generally not how American businesses work.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

evil_bunnY posted:

That’s generally not how American businesses work.

Exactly.

The only thing most American businesses care about (and railroads are no exception) is how much money they've earned for the shareholders this quarter. If earnings are down in the short term, executives lose jobs, even if the short term slump turns into long term gains. In this environment the only railroads that would even consider an investment in concrete ties are the ones that want to run high-speed trains. Amtrak I think has tried to force the issue on the routes they run trains on, but at least locally they haven't had much luck. BNSF has what looks like a couple thousand concrete ties sitting in a yard along the local Amtrak route, but they've been there for years now and the railroad MoW teams continue to replace wood for wood.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah, the concrete ties I've seen are on a line that gets used a lot for commuter rail.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

PremiumSupport posted:

even if the short term slump turns into long term gains.

...that the next executive gets credit for.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Someone caught dashboard video of a train derailing as it crossed a highway in Saskatoon. Pretty intense video.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/hot-topics/Tags/Train%20derailment

Punchasaurus
Jan 14, 2005

Speaking of crossing fuckery, let's bring in a video which got hot around a month ago, but didn't seem to be mentioned before in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x52EcdAz9Ig

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Eric L posted:

Speaking of crossing fuckery, let's bring in a video which got hot around a month ago, but didn't seem to be mentioned before in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x52EcdAz9Ig

There's an industry turnout just before the crossing that looks to get serviced pretty regularly. I'm sure there must be some sort of lockout to keep the gates from dropping each and every time a train occupies that block of track while the switch is thrown to the industry.

That the signals and gates actually drop once the train is past the turnout gives credence to the theory that some insulators or wiring had gone bad. The gates and lights themselves may have passed any testinf, but was the circuit that triggers them and the industry lockout ever inspected?

Punchasaurus
Jan 14, 2005

NoWake posted:

That the signals and gates actually drop once the train is past the turnout gives credence to the theory that some insulators or wiring had gone bad. The gates and lights themselves may have passed any testinf, but was the circuit that triggers them and the industry lockout ever inspected?

From the unofficial evidence, that seems to be exactly the case. Naturally, they are trying to hang at least one locomotive engineer for failing to call the defect in.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

There was an intermittent short in the warning circuit.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
I kind of figured it had something to do with the signal maintainer you can see in the shack at the end of the video.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

He happened to be there for some other work.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

https://twitter.com/Bkasparas/status/1088924929003831297?s=20

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
https://journalstar.com/business/local/up-sues-to-fire-engineer-who-defecated-on-train/article_b3abf7a7-b9b1-5de8-b79e-d266c01b4e40.html

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ahhh management. Gets a defined set of rules on how to fire someone who is in a union, whines when they get told to follow those rules.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

iospace posted:

Ahhh management. Gets a defined set of rules on how to fire someone who is in a union, whines when they get told to follow those rules.
It's always loving hilarious when they can't follow the most straight forward formulaic procedure.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

evil_bunnY posted:

It's always loving hilarious when they can't follow the most straight forward formulaic procedure.

Yup. They want to go "you're fired" without any other paper work (see at-will employment).

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
This engineer could potentially gently caress up union contracts. If UP wins the suit against the arbitrator, they're going to keep suing, and you'd better believe that they're probably going to throw out these kinds of lawsuits like candy if they really want to get rid of particular employees.

On the other hand, if they lose, the engineer will go back to work with the world's largest target painted on his back. gently caress this guy.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
https://ve.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_pluhtbgF9B1w5pr9j.mp4

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Anyone still remember that UP is working to restore a big boy back to working duty?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plt6UgVo9x4

They are apparently nearly done with the job now.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UZwqWw7REA

What a crazy funny crazy thing to do...

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Jonny Nox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UZwqWw7REA

What a crazy funny crazy thing to do...

Loved their All the Stations series.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Owner's Flickr Link

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Wanna be a kid a huck rocks at them and help drive the decision in the future to have enclosed auto-racks

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nshorseheadsd70/31909589537/in/photostream/

kind of weird seeing a conrail motor without the logo. i guess its between two pc motors.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nshorseheadsd70/46095657004/in/photostream/

this is weird too. flexiflo is the nyc, later conrail, bulk transfer terminal company.

maybe the only interesting/good thing that could possibly come out of this psr business(and a general lack of competition in other sectors of the economy), is for congress to do a little trust busting and force the big 4 to break up. it'd be good for employees at all levels below the c-suite and probably good for shippers. but, i'm not holding my breath.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

vains posted:

maybe the only interesting/good thing that could possibly come out of this psr business(and a general lack of competition in other sectors of the economy), is for congress to do a little trust busting and force the big 4 to break up. it'd be good for employees at all levels below the c-suite and probably good for shippers. but, i'm not holding my breath.

I was under the impression that there were rumblings about UP and NS splitting up CSX?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

TSB says train began to move on its own before fatal derailment
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/tsb-train-cp-railway-derailment-field-bc-calgary-investigation-1.5006374

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I was under the impression that there were rumblings about UP and NS splitting up CSX?

hadn't heard that. i've heard that the up toured the water level route a few months ago but idk what the point was. i dont see how the two could split up csx and maintain some semblence of competition, even the facade of competition that shippers have now. you'd have rail shippers across the country lining up against the idea.

-i think that splitting up the us class 1s, except for kcs, would appeal to shippers and employees. both groups are harmed by the present level of consolidation in railroads.
-i also think that people, while they like the services that amazon/apple/google, are getting fed up with the outsize influence that they have over local/natl government in the us.
-i know that people are fed up with income inequality. one way that this could be addressed is to split up some large companies.

not holding my breath for this or anything. the economist has written a few articles recently about how regulators might reconsider the definition of competition, which hasn't really been addressed since att was broken up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Class I employee here: I expect another big merger in the next fifteen years and a bunch of new short lines in the next five.

As for who will be in on the next merger, it’s anyone’s guess, there’s loads of possibilities.