Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
The Fog Islands really isn't too hard of a place to put a base, there's a couple basins that just need a small amount of walls to block them off. That's the hardest part, because until you do fog men patrols will try to path through where you want to set up constantly. Once they stop trying to do that the actual raids are way less frequent and not hard to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah, after the initial excitement of getting to Mongrel and doing copper mine runs for money, a base in the fog lands is a complete snorefest. The fogmen aren't attacking and the holy lands aren't bothering despite having 2 military bases right at the border. Getting ready to move.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sweet moses the Holy Nation will attack you randomly if they spot you sporting artificial limbs. Great.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Are there mods that are only available on Steam Workshop? Am I screwing myself if I buy the game through GOG instead?

e: bought it on steam and it crashes on startup. I'm trying to figure out how to get the game to run at all; already installed the directX 9 runtime :emo:

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 31, 2019

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Am I right in assuming that staffs scale their damage almost exclusively from strength, but attack/block speed and training from Dexterity(since they are technically polearms)? Almost seems like some kind of pseudo martial arts weapon.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 31, 2019

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Million Ghosts posted:

where's a good spot to plonk down a base relatively early game? my heart is set on somewhere swamp adjacent but as someone else said people their kick the poo poo out of each other full time so between that and blood spiders it's a pretty rough go. someone earlier in the thread mentioned the Shem/Swamp border as being really nice, is there anything there that will eat my roving band of losers?

Swamp/borderland border seems fairly safe. Only things that have tried to bother me are blood spiders, swamp raptors, dust bandits, and swamp ninjas which sounds like a lot but beats the hell out of beak thing hordes and whatnot. Keep one, maybe two, groups of mercs on hand and you'll be fine until you can get some decent turret tech going. I also haven't had any visits from either the sheks or Holy Nation despite being pretty close to both. Here's where I set up shop specifically:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I set up just north of there in my first game, right up along the ridge. I wanted both biomes and yeah that's a really good spot. I ended up dying to a red sabre raid I think, though I'm not sure. I hardly had any contact people though.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Clark Nova posted:

Are there mods that are only available on Steam Workshop? Am I screwing myself if I buy the game through GOG instead?

e: bought it on steam and it crashes on startup. I'm trying to figure out how to get the game to run at all; already installed the directX 9 runtime :emo:

If you're having horrible crashing problems, I would honestly recommend you :filez: it and then gently caress about with that version until you can get it to run. If you can't get it to run, then yeah refund. The game is Jank

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

dogstile posted:

If you're having horrible crashing problems, I would honestly recommend you :filez: it and then gently caress about with that version until you can get it to run. If you can't get it to run, then yeah refund. The game is Jank

https://store.steampowered.com/app/233860/Kenshi/

Free Demo Available Here

http://www.lofigames.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8428&sid=dc0a13145ed7a3901de0e48398d2bd08

This is essentially the full game for free except that stats are capped at 20. No need to :filez: anything!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh poo poo, providing an actual good demo in this day and age?

Jesus this guy is good

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

So, I wanted to be able to add captured Broken Skeletons as followers using the Recruit Prisoners Mod. There is a long convoluted dialogue tree that you must navigate in order to "reset' the robot. If someone wants to know what they have to follow, spoilered below is the dialog tree. Each series of conversation topics give three choices. The list below includes the correct responses. The correct response could be any of the three listed. I dug through the mod in order to uncover this.

#1 Choose Common English
#2 Green, Red, Blue
#3 Yellow, Beige, Brown
#4 A, Z, C
#5 Book, Tree, House
#6 4, 32, 1
#7 36, 54, 22
#8 Bowl, Hat, Knife
#9 Shirt, Light, Pen
#10 74, 109, 96
#11 V, G, O
#12 A, Z, C
#13 B, X, R
#14 Choose #^&@ English file note found - Jiko Ketsui Mode

Enjoy your new Skeleton Recruit!

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Gobblecoque posted:

Swamp/borderland border seems fairly safe. Only things that have tried to bother me are blood spiders, swamp raptors, dust bandits, and swamp ninjas which sounds like a lot but beats the hell out of beak thing hordes and whatnot. Keep one, maybe two, groups of mercs on hand and you'll be fine until you can get some decent turret tech going. I also haven't had any visits from either the sheks or Holy Nation despite being pretty close to both. Here's where I set up shop specifically:

i actually ended up settling pretty close to where your mouse cursor is. it's relatively quiet except for the occasional pile of Kral's Chosen. i managed to be juuuust far enough out of the swamp biome to not grow rice, so i guess i'll be moving in the future.

e; how do you change your outpost name? i found the spot for squads but not places

Million Ghosts fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 31, 2019

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Saul Kain posted:

So, I wanted to be able to add captured Broken Skeletons as followers using the Recruit Prisoners Mod. There is a long convoluted dialogue tree that you must navigate in order to "reset' the robot. If someone wants to know what they have to follow, spoilered below is the dialog tree. Each series of conversation topics give three choices. The list below includes the correct responses. The correct response could be any of the three listed. I dug through the mod in order to uncover this.

#1 Choose Common English
#2 Green, Red, Blue
#3 Yellow, Beige, Brown
#4 A, Z, C
#5 Book, Tree, House
#6 4, 32, 1
#7 36, 54, 22
#8 Bowl, Hat, Knife
#9 Shirt, Light, Pen
#10 74, 109, 96
#11 V, G, O
#12 A, Z, C
#13 B, X, R
#14 Choose #^&@ English file note found - Jiko Ketsui Mode

Enjoy your new Skeleton Recruit!

Uh, regarding this recruitable prisoners mod spoiler: The correct choices are in the error code the skeleton gives you when you start the conversation.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

I'll be damned, I never noticed that. I just went through the dialogue tree in the mod. Welp. Thanks for that.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That second town that appears on your map when you start as wanderer is just empty, no people... Did they all get murdered or is this just a bug? (I see no corpses)

I have no mods installed yet. Also I know people are supposed to be here because they were on my first game, which I died horribly in.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

soy posted:

That second town that appears on your map when you start as wanderer is just empty, no people... Did they all get murdered or is this just a bug? (I see no corpses)

I have no mods installed yet. Also I know people are supposed to be here because they were on my first game, which I died horribly in.

I've run into this bug upon starting 2 games. Rebirth will be working fine, there will be paladin patrols around the area. Then I get to a settlement and its just empty. Gotta import your save.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:getin:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Million Ghosts posted:

i actually ended up settling pretty close to where your mouse cursor is. it's relatively quiet except for the occasional pile of Kral's Chosen. i managed to be juuuust far enough out of the swamp biome to not grow rice, so i guess i'll be moving in the future.

Yeah I've found that it seems you gotta be fairly deep in the swamp visually for it to actually be considered that region. From my outpost you can't see anything but swamp with the fog but I'm still straddling the region border so I can get wind power from the borderlands.

Million Ghosts posted:

e; how do you change your outpost name? i found the spot for squads but not places

When you're physically at your outpost there should be a window on the right side of the screen that shows the name and below that lists power production/consumption/capacity. Click on the outpost name there to change it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My biggest problem with this game is that I can't figure out what a cool name for my faction would be. :sigh:

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Can you dodge while holding a weapon, or is it only applicable when you are using martial arts?

Edit: Or to be more precise - some of my soldiers have seen very slow increases in their dodge skills, despite not being martial artists. Presumably this is on account of rare dodges during regular combat. I've taken a couple of days to boost the MA skills of some of my squad, and I wonder if this is a worthwhile investment.

Will a fighter with a decent dodge and melee defense skill be significantly more survivable than a fighter with just one or the other?

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 1, 2019

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Yo how do shop counters work? I've had a counter with crafted swords set up in my base for a while, but nobody from the NPC caravans that visited were buying anything. Then I added some crossbows I looted from dead raiders and those were bought up almost instantly? What?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Farecoal posted:

Yo how do shop counters work? I've had a counter with crafted swords set up in my base for a while, but nobody from the NPC caravans that visited were buying anything. Then I added some crossbows I looted from dead raiders and those were bought up almost instantly? What?

In vanilla (I think) shop counters only sell food and alcohol. I use a mod that lets peeps buy weaponry and more stuff, lemme dig it out and edit it back into this post.

e: Here's the one I use, it's still pretty balanced because swords don't instantly sell and you still get the classic "I can't afford this" message spam

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1616010664

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

StrixNebulosa posted:

In vanilla (I think) shop counters only sell food and alcohol. I use a mod that lets peeps buy weaponry and more stuff, lemme dig it out and edit it back into this post.

e: Here's the one I use, it's still pretty balanced because swords don't instantly sell and you still get the classic "I can't afford this" message spam

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1616010664

I wonder if this would work with Enhanced Shopping Economy. Thank you

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StrixNebulosa posted:

My biggest problem with this game is that I can't figure out what a cool name for my faction would be. :sigh:

im lazy and always name it Retribution if i do slaver start (because my goal is killing every last slaver) or just The Lost or something like that

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
is it uhh normal for the fogmen to not even attack my crew on the way to Mongrel? they may as well be waving and screaming hello at me, it's been so many

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The princes and the heavies are sometimes too busy on their way to chow down on some poor sod to bother you.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So I take back about fog island base being a snooze fest, I got that bandit demand and the holy nation DID attack my base. Assassin is now my main source of attack as I KO the warband and deposit them onto a fog man pole. Every night I go to sleep to the sounds of holy men screaming about their legs being eaten.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah the best part about that place is quite literally just kiting the holy nation into the patrols and deathyards. Even a Wraith of god eventually dies to the sound of gnashing teeth and snapping bones.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Now that I've got a large walled in area and i no longer need mercs in my little town in the middle of Gut, it's super chill. I get reaver raids and trade guild bribe-seekers and poo poo all the time, but it's rare for them to ever make it to my base, and the trade guild/taxmen often get eaten while standing outside my gate monologuing. I managed to finally see an incoming bandit raid for myself earlier while I was sneaking out to go stock up on supplies.

Turns out these guys pass directly through a nest every time, and get absolutely *obliterated.*

A taxman did manage to not only make it to my gate earlier (all by himself), but proceeded to stand there and tank 5 beak things long enough to trigger a retribution for not paying my taxes. I couldn't really go out and talk to him since he was completely surrounded, and there were another 4 beak things attacking my gate. I don't know how scared to be of whatever they're sending, but hopefully my beaky buds will take care of it.

Also:

They're learning.

Gut rules. It's so drat pretty, and it's such a minor thing but I love the way the blue sand/dirt gets stuck on everything, I really didn't expect that. Hell of an experience for my first base.

Edit: Oh, I had a question. I plan on killing the holy nation this game, will my town be subject to their retaliations this far away from their territory? I assume if you piss them off enough they'll go anywhere to hunt you down, but I figured I'd check.

Coeurl Marx fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 1, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Peachy Poo posted:

Now that I've got a large walled in area and i no longer need mercs in my little town in the middle of Gut, it's super chill. I get reaver raids and trade guild bribe-seekers and poo poo all the time, but it's rare for them to ever make it to my base, and the trade guild/taxmen often get eaten while standing outside my gate monologuing. I managed to finally see an incoming bandit raid for myself earlier while I was sneaking out to go stock up on supplies.

Turns out these guys pass directly through a nest every time, and get absolutely *obliterated.*

A taxman did manage to not only make it to my gate earlier (all by himself), but proceeded to stand there and tank 5 beak things long enough to trigger a retribution for not paying my taxes. I couldn't really go out and talk to him since he was completely surrounded, and there were another 4 beak things attacking my gate. I don't know how scared to be of whatever they're sending, but hopefully my beaky buds will take care of it.

Also:

They're learning.

Gut rules. It's so drat pretty, and it's such a minor thing but I love the way the blue sand/dirt gets stuck on everything, I really didn't expect that. Hell of an experience for my first base.

Edit: Oh, I had a question. I plan on killing the holy nation this game, will my town be subject to their retaliations this far away from their territory? I assume if you piss them off enough they'll go anywhere to hunt you down, but I figured I'd check.

Everything about this post made me howl with laughter, especially the tax man. :allears:

I love Kenshi so friggin' much

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Holy nation raids seem to travel wherever.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Wrath of God doesn't care where you are

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
A super cheesy way to beat Wraith of God events btw, is to just sneak into arach with building materials. Chuck up a small shack, a small wall (mostly so the spiders don't see you). It gets considered an outpost. Just wait.

If they get to you, they won't get away from you.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Picked up this game a couple of weeks ago and boy has it sunk its teeth into me. I'm currently running a crew of ~15 in a hilltop base between Squin and Vain, and I made the mistake of ignoring Shek tax collectors one time too many. I now see almost daily raids of 20-30 Shek Warriors intent on my absolute destruction and I'm barely surviving. Is there a place where a Shek pacifier spawns 100% of the time so I can improve my relations? I already have enough to deal with considering the number of Hungry/Dust Bandits and Band of Bones in the area.

An unrelated question, is there a mod that allows you to place any/all buildings within an existing town or city? Google hasn't led me to any. I like the idea of completely taking over the Hub since it's centrally located and already has two built in vendors with large stacks of cats, but I don't want to have to have my raw material processing plants outside of the city limits. I know I can use shift + F12 editor to place things in town, but apparently it can break games? Anyone have experience with this?

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 1, 2019

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

kedo posted:

Picked up this game a couple of weeks ago and boy has it sunk its teeth into me. I'm currently running a crew of ~15 in a hilltop base between Squin and Vain, and I made the mistake of ignoring Shek tax collectors one time too many. I now see almost daily raids of 20-30 Shek Warriors intent on my absolute destruction and I'm barely surviving. Is there a place where a Shek pacifier spawns 100% of the time so I can improve my relations? I already have enough to deal with considering the number of Hungry/Dust Bandits and Band of Bones in the area.

An unrelated question, is there a mod that allows you to place any/all buildings within an existing town or city? Google hasn't led me to any. I like the idea of completely taking over the Hub since it's centrally located and already has two built in vendors with large stacks of cats, but I don't want to have to have my raw material processing plants outside of the city limits. I know I can use shift + F12 editor to place things in town, but apparently it can break games? Anyone have experience with this?

There are mods that dramatically expand the crafting options in cities (mintech and hydroponics and a few others), I'd look into those along with an 'expanded hub' mod.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I am eagerly awaiting my first big raid, having set up on a plateau near Squin. Hopefully I'll be able to train them back to the town guards before they loot my town, but as long as the buildings remain around I should be OK.

Admittedly, I need to send some people out on recruitment runs to get me more people. Getting a town running requires substantially more people than making money via copper mining near Squin (and I'd rather have Greenlanders as my initial laborer population than Shek, considering their opposing bonuses/maluses to such activities)...

That being said, this game is great. On one run I had a bunch of hungry bandits clobber a Shek's arm and leg straight off her body with just their clubs because she had the tenacity to get up (and the unfortunate luck to not ever be hit in the chest/stomach while they waled on her).

Wow Bagger
Mar 30, 2010
I knocked out a high inquisitor and put him in the prison tower in Squin for the bounty. Later the game sent a wrath of god event at me and picked him to lead it. So all the paladins and inquisitors spawned beside him in the prison tower and promptly started raising hell.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
I heard there are ai cores in the scrapyard....no one has any to sell it seems....do i gotta off these punks to get me so ai core goodness?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
there's no faster (non-f12) way to pack up and move your outpost other than brick by brick, is there? i've been in between constant 3 way raids lately and it's getting old, need to move myself somewhere a little quieter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there a mod that stops my units from rocketing off at mach 5 whenever they walk up some stairs?