Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And the return of the original stand bys was done good, from Ra's al-Ghul eternal life going to it's logical and extremely creepy conclusion and Mr. Fries utterly tragic existence.

Honestly, save for the obvious Fantastic 4 knockoff and Psychic group - both one shots, BB actually had a pretty good Rogue's gallery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

All the returns were really good, Bane was another excellent twist on where the episode seemed like it was taking you. Also regarding unpleasant ends theres the guy batman leaves falling through the floor for eternity and the hunter with PTSD who he lets get hit by a loving train.

However, the thing I most want from Batman Beyond is Batman: The Musical because it turns out the best batman related things all involve singing.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Batman TV shows after the initial 90s animated series almost always have a weird delayed acceptance where when they come out fans hate them for being different and then by the time they get cancelled and the new successor is announced people complain that the new show is bad and it should be more like the old show they initially hated but now love.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

BB Is one I like from the start despite initial skepticism, I am still not a fan of a lot of things The Batman did.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I’m not a fan at all of whatever the weird recent CGI Batman series did to Anarky. Props for having him at all, but at his worst the character’s an antihero, not an outright villain.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
That's because Batman TAS was so drat good that it was difficult to believe that anything else would hold up.

That was also the same time period where everything was getting "xtreme." Remember the "xtreme" Bugs Bunny concept art? That poo poo still causes a backlash to this day, and is extraordinary cursed.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

BB Is one I like from the start despite initial skepticism, I am still not a fan of a lot of things The Batman did.

Exactly. Batman Beyond could have used a bit of refinement but was pretty solid on the whole, but the Jackie Chan Batman didn't have much going for it.

Really hope the BB movie has Inque in it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Any new Batman cartoon coming after BTAS would have had the deck stacked against it. The Batman had the unfortunate luck to be competing against the BTAS version as well since Justice League and Unlimited were concurrently going during it's run. Real weird situation.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh man, Beware the Batman was 2014?! I thought it was a couple of years ago at most.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The_Doctor posted:

Oh man, Beware the Batman was 2014?! I thought it was a couple of years ago at most.

well yeah it was only 2014

...gently caress

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Man, I remember when some goons got really mad that the garbage fire known as Beware the Batman got cancelled. This is despite the show already having bombed horribly and being moved to a super late time slot.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Kangra posted:

Exactly. Batman Beyond could have used a bit of refinement but was pretty solid on the whole, but the Jackie Chan Batman didn't have much going for it.

Really hope the BB movie has Inque in it.

I really did not like The Batman's take on Joker, but the episode where he decided to 'switch places' with Batman really was brilliant and I wished we gotten something like it for BTAS

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I almost added a joke about The Batman not counting but the people who actually watched it all the way through swore it actually got a lot better and the later seasons where it crossed over with other DC properties we're good. Beware the Batman was the only one that never really had people come around to it but it only got like ten episodes and then never had another Batman cartoon come along after it for people to compare it to.

Queen Combat posted:

That's because Batman TAS was so drat good that it was difficult to believe that anything else would hold up.

That was also the same time period where everything was getting "xtreme." Remember the "xtreme" Bugs Bunny concept art? That poo poo still causes a backlash to this day, and is extraordinary cursed.

TAS had some great episodes but for every Heart of Ice you also had one like the little girl crime lord or the dickensian orphans living in the sewers, people forget how une ven it was even in its prime. And there's the entire back half of the show done in a completely different, worse art style that most people just pretend didn't count.

Also, Beyond was the "Xtreme" Batman.

The_Doctor posted:

Brave and the Bold is almost a decade old at this point, same with Spectacular Spider-Man. Really between CN's emphasis on adventure comedy with noodly-limbed bean-headed children and both Marvel and DC focusing on live-action shows superhero cartoons have basically been on life support; DC tried two CG shows that both only lasted a season, Marvel did a few Disney XD shows that similarly never made a big splash, and even the Young Justice reboot never really broke out of the original show's niche.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Then again, what's the point of cartoons about superheros when you could just watch adult-aimed superhero shows on Netflix and all the movies, too, most of which you can also watch with your kids anyway.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Then again, what's the point of cartoons about superheros when you could just watch adult-aimed superhero shows on Netflix and all the movies, too, most of which you can also watch with your kids anyway.

Animation is a way better medium for superhero shows than live action shows. Also most of the shows are terrible, except for the Tick.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Detective No. 27 posted:

Any new Batman cartoon coming after BTAS would have had the deck stacked against it. The Batman had the unfortunate luck to be competing against the BTAS version as well since Justice League and Unlimited were concurrently going during it's run. Real weird situation.

And I think a lot of fan good will for The Batman was hurted due to DC "Bat Embargo" they did where Batman couldn't use any of his rogue gallery in Unlimited, which sucked when they got to the League of Doom arc since they couldn't use some of the old Super Friend members of his rogue gallery. That and the "oh we are making a Aquaman show, so no more Aquaman either"....and that show never got pass the pilot.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That not-Black Manta they had to make was so bad that they made Batman shoot and kill him with a gun.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Animation is a way better medium for superhero shows than live action shows. Also most of the shows are terrible, except for the Tick.

This. gently caress the CW hero shows.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I also think what helped Batman Beyond was having Bruce as a main character. If he’d shown up in the first episode to pass the torch and get written off the show would have had more bad will, imo. instead, Batman Beyond not only gave us cool new Batman stories, it let us continue seeing the Batman we loved from TAS grow as a character. So any series that really chucks everything out is going to have a harder battle for acceptance, particularly if it’s a very different take.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I would loving kill for a cartoon series starring Kamala Khan, and really unless you got a really big budget - it absolutely is a better medium for tv series.

Anyone remember Heroes? And how the majority of it's powers were no effects (like Eve's mind control or Matt's mind reading) or simple CGI or editing like Nathan's flight or Hiro's teleportation/time travel.

Some powers are going to be extremely difficult to do convincingly live action.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The Tick is phenomenal. You can just write "CHA" somewhere and I'll laugh.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

TAS had some great episodes but for every Heart of Ice you also had one like the little girl crime lord or the dickensian orphans living in the sewers, people forget how une ven it was even in its prime. And there's the entire back half of the show done in a completely different, worse art style that most people just pretend didn't count.

Hey that part of the show had an awesome Scarecrow design and that great crossover with Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owaMoWmD2vE

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
TAS is great. oh wait you're talking about not star-trek. whatever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ccs posted:

Hey that part of the show had an awesome Scarecrow design and that great crossover with Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owaMoWmD2vE

Oh man, I knew they did a redesign, but I had no idea they'd cast Jeffrey Combs as him too!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Xibanya posted:

I also think what helped Batman Beyond was having Bruce as a main character. If he’d shown up in the first episode to pass the torch and get written off the show would have had more bad will, imo. instead, Batman Beyond not only gave us cool new Batman stories, it let us continue seeing the Batman we loved from TAS grow as a character. So any series that really chucks everything out is going to have a harder battle for acceptance, particularly if it’s a very different take.

Batman Beyond started with old Bruce Wayne getting a heart attack while fighting crime and getting the poo poo beaten out of him so badly he had to resort to threatening his assailants with a gun
If they had written him out, the show would never have survived

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Are you literally saying “what’s the point of animation when you could watch not animation”

pack up, he’s got a point, thread over

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Calaveron posted:

Batman Beyond started with old Bruce Wayne getting a heart attack while fighting crime and getting the poo poo beaten out of him so badly he had to resort to threatening his assailants with a gun
If they had written him out, the show would never have survived

I mean if you want to go off of canon rather than the release order of episodes then Batman Begins began with Amanda Waller injecting Terry's dad with nanobots loaded with Bruce Wayne's DNA to make him conceive a Batman clone and then hired an assassin to kill his parents in an attempt to create a successor to Batman without Bruce knowing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

"Bruce's DNA wasn't hard to find. He left it all over the place."

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Guy Mann posted:

I mean if you want to go off of canon rather than the release order of episodes then Batman Begins began with Amanda Waller injecting Terry's dad with nanobots loaded with Bruce Wayne's DNA to make him conceive a Batman clone and then hired an assassin to kill his parents in an attempt to create a successor to Batman without Bruce knowing.

See this is what I mean when Dini/Timm mining Dini/Timm has always led to bad things.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Hedrigall posted:

Are you literally saying “what’s the point of animation when you could watch not animation”

pack up, he’s got a point, thread over

What I meant is in the eye of modern viewers. Or the companies that make these shows.
Loved the timmverse and brave and the bold and all that and I kind of refuse to watch the love action the shows because the concept weirds me out for some reason, even though the movies don't.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
if i was a batman i'd call myself the masterbat

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Guy Mann posted:

I am really not fond of that reveal, even if it did lead to one of the funniest lines in JLU. Though I heard it partly came because they realized there was no way Terry's Redheaded and brown-haired parents would've had black-haired kids.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Someone must have known earlier. Terry's design is a dead ringer for child Bruce Wayne from the original Golden Age origin.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Guy Mann posted:

I hope they retcon that poo poo because it was the stupidest loving thing.

Robindaybird posted:

I am really not fond of that reveal, even if it did lead to one of the funniest lines in JLU. Though I heard it partly came because they realized there was no way Terry's Redheaded and brown-haired parents would've had black-haired kids.

Also, in the future hair dye is illegal I guess.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 1, 2019

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Bruce Wayne being Terry's father is the perfect example of something that was obviously planned all along and was intended by the original creator but is still a terrible idea. This is why we need editors.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Guy Mann posted:

Also, Beyond was the "Xtreme" Batman.

Uh, yes. That's why it had such pushback at the time, as was part of the convo...?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

mycot posted:

Bruce Wayne being Terry's father is the perfect example of something that was obviously planned all along and was intended by the original creator but is still a terrible idea. This is why we need editors.

It's okay, IMO. Epilogue is all about Terry being a better Batman, not as bitter, lonely, or compromised as Bruce, because Bruce taught him to be better than he was.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Beyond extrapolated on a lot of BTAS things, like animal transformations being so common they became a recreational drug.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I just got home from our Invader Zim cast and crew screening, but I was drunk for the whole thing. I know I doodled sexy face Membrane on a white board and that somehow made it in, but everything else is Korean BBQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Das Boo posted:

I know I doodled sexy face Membrane

Please.