Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Oh snap. I didnt realize you were doing Man Without Fear. Ive been really enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

MWF was an absolutely excellent series.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Thanks everyone, I think MWOF came together well and I'm really happy with it as whole.

re: Sterman- I can't lie, I found her on a wiki dive for Marvel psychiatrists, but how perfect of a fit was she? Someone who apparently specializes in brainwashed former assassins? You can find anything you're looking for in a shared continuity that big.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That last speech from Jack Murdock about fear and what he had to teach his son was real good dude. I thoroughly enjoyed that series.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Thanks everyone, I think MWOF came together well and I'm really happy with it as whole.

re: Sterman- I can't lie, I found her on a wiki dive for Marvel psychiatrists, but how perfect of a fit was she? Someone who apparently specializes in brainwashed former assassins? You can find anything you're looking for in a shared continuity that big.

That reminds me, since he helped de-prorgram Speedball/Penance, what's Doc Samson up to?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Last I checked, Doc was still super dead.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Vulpes I get that you were trying to go for some old timey language but it's 2019 you don't use queer as in strange or abnormal what the gently caress is wrong with you

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/queer

Sometimes words have more than one meaning and has had a meaning for like, a really long time and still have that meaning and that meaning isn’t there to personally attack you

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
gently caress

Off

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You coulda PMed him.

e:

site posted:

And straights could keep their opinions to themselves

thats an assumption

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 1, 2019

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

site posted:

gently caress

Off

Nah

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teenage Fansub posted:

You coulda PMed him.

And straights could keep their opinions to themselves when a queer person gets offended that a cis straight white man is using a word in a way that offends them but I guess that's not happening either is it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
well I was coming in here to talk about the ending of Exiles but uh

I'll wait

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

As a queer person, I also have no problem with the use of the word "queer" for its standard meaning. It's a nice word! There's nothing derogatory about it.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Lobok posted:

What a great superhero name.

This post made me laugh a whole lot.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Android Blues posted:

As a queer person, I also have no problem with the use of the word "queer" for its standard meaning. It's a nice word! There's nothing derogatory about it.

I use queer as shorthand to identify myself, but i wish i lived wherever you do because it was definitely used as a derogatory term by cis hets for decades in my neck of the woods. Hell, ive met people who refuse to be associated with the word because of its historical baggage

Blockhouse posted:

well I was coming in here to talk about the ending of Exiles but uh

I'll wait

Im gonna miss it, but I'm glad they gave saladin time to give it a happy ending instead of cancelling it

site fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 1, 2019

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I've definitely heard it used as a slur, but it's not all that common here I guess. Like, I've heard it used, but other slurs are more common.

But like - I really genuinely like the original meaning of the word. It has a bit of whimsy to it. Something that's "queer" in the original sense is unusual, but not bad necessarily - perhaps it's curious, compelling, or mysterious. I think there's some value in reclaiming that. This is definitely an issue where a lot of opinions are split, though, so that's just my take.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
I've heard it as a slur so often I get real uncomfortable seeing the old meaning in print, whether it's Tolkien or a 2019 comic. Just let us have it please.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Yeah, that's a fair criticism.

I didn't consider the weight of the term "queer" when I used in place of "odd" or "curious" or whatever because given the privilege I've been allowed, I didn't have to. But I should have, and I'm sorry that I didn't, as putting cute language over actual people is a lovely way to do things and I should have been more aware of how the words I choose can impact those actual people. I admit to being blinded to how the way I used "queer" could hurt vulnerable people by my own privilege. I should have chosen my words more carefully, and will in the future.

So, I'm sorry site. Thanks for bringing it up.

Edit: sorry, its early, what I meant to add was that I should have known better.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 1, 2019

radlum
May 13, 2013

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I didn't consider the weight of the term "queer" when I used in place of "odd" or "curious" or whatever because given the privilege I've been allowed, I didn't have to. But I should have, and I'm sorry that I didn't, as putting cute language over actual people is a lovely way to do things and I should have been more aware of how the words I choose can impact those actual people. I admit to being blinded to how the way I used "queer" could hurt vulnerable people by my own privilege. I should have chosen my words more carefully, and will in the future.

Edit: sorry, its early, what I meant to add was that I should have known better.

It was odd seeing it in both of this week’s comics, but I think this is a good response. I hope your next Marvel project is announced soom

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It's one of those things where like-- the semantics are just loaded and 80% of the time when it's deployed in its "conventional" sense the writer is either making a fairly crass nudge-nudge fashion or is detourning it, which really just means, to me, "going nudge-nudge in a way I like and feel solidarity with"

I mean-- queer culture has decided to reclaim "queer" so much more broadly and unanimously than other words for a reason. It's a gorgeous word and etymologically and semantically it carries so much and goes with such a mysterious step. It's irresistible and I'm glad I have it as something I can affix to myself. I'm glad a word that has been used against people like me as a weapon has been salvaged and spruced up and now makes so many people feel proud and powerful. That being said I think straight authors-- and like-- I have no idea about Vulpes' life-- do have an obligation to be very, very careful about how and when they use it outside of the context of sexuality, just like white writers have an obligation to tread very carefully around language steeped in race, able-bodied writers to tread very carefully around metaphors of disability (it was a real struggle for me to get, like, "crippled" and "hobbled" out of my vocabulary to describe stuff that had gone awry but it was worth it), male writers with stuff like "hysterical" or whatever, and so on.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

But anyway, I can't speak for site but I think this is a really good response.
Can we, like, sticky this in the "Dark Side of Comics" thread as an example of what actual accountability looks like?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Looking forward to Bl**ding C**l to report on Vulpes' horrible use of a homophobic term.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s all right, friends. Vulpes will redeem himself with his new upcoming series X-Doop.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Big ups to Vulpes for that response. Site sometimes has a hair trigger but their reaction was entirely valid. I hope we all good here.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

This is, like, actually a good response?? Don't see many of those around these parts. Thank you for this and I'm glad you're taking it to heart

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Late I know but I just want to say Black Widow was fun and I'm adding it to my pull list. I picked it up out of curiosity after hearing who the writers were. It's good Black Widow.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I know I'm super late on this but I finally got unlimited. I checked out Immortal Hulk based on reccos here and drat is that an awesome comic. Best horror I've read since Moore's Swamp Thing, and I never knew I even wanted a horror comic to read.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Kinda a strange question that im sure is out of most people's wheelhouses but does anyone know what the standard font is that marvel uses for their books and if you can get it somewhere

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

site posted:

Kinda a strange question that im sure is out of most people's wheelhouses but does anyone know what the standard font is that marvel uses for their books and if you can get it somewhere
I remember reading that it (or maybe a recent iteration) was developed on contract for Marvel by Christopher Eliopoulos.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!

site posted:

Hi! I letter comics for Virtual Calligraphy/Marvel. We use a few dozen fonts developed exclusively for VC (there isn't really a standard font anymore). Unfortunately, they're not available to the public or anyone outside the company.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Minister of Sound posted:

Hi! I letter comics for Virtual Calligraphy/Marvel. We use a few dozen fonts developed exclusively for VC (there isn't really a standard font anymore). Unfortunately, they're not available to the public or anyone outside the company.

are you Clayton Cowles because if so thank you for lettering seemingly every comic book i've ever bought

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Alaois posted:

are you Clayton Cowles because if so thank you for lettering seemingly every comic book i've ever bought

Yes I am. Thank YOU for your patronage!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Bummer, but thanks. And more comics people! Yay!

Alaois posted:

But also lmao. And if it's at all possible maybe you could illuminate something that ive wondered for a long time now, which is how lettering seemingly went from being an in house thing to being subcontracted work and why

E: i guess i should specify, like not hiring freelancers like they do for writing and art, but how a company developed specifically for lettering that marvel then contracts out to (I'm assuming??) came about

site fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 5, 2019

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

site posted:

But also lmao. And if it's at all possible maybe you could illuminate something that ive wondered for a long time now, which is how lettering seemingly went from being an in house thing to being subcontracted work and why

E: i guess i should specify, like not hiring freelancers like they do for writing and art, but how a company developed specifically for lettering that marvel then contracts out to (I'm assuming??) came about

E: Marvel was already using Comicraft for most of their books, and somewhere along the line, they wanted an in-house lettering department with its own look unique to Marvel (and had one very briefly). As for why that department turned into Virtual Calligraphy, I wasn't around back then and I can only speculate. I'm guessing health insurance was involved.

Minister of Sound fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 5, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

E: Marvel was already using Comicraft for most of their books, and somewhere along the line, they wanted an in-house lettering department with its own look unique to Marvel (and had one very briefly). As for why that department turned into Virtual Calligraphy, I wasn't around back then and I can only speculate.

Cool, thank you for the background.

quote:

I'm guessing health insurance was involved.

I fuckin' hear that

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

why do my jokes keep being real

legit though, you do great work

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm on my phone so I can't really search it out right now but there was an article on some site a while back where they interviewed Clayton about his fonts used on Mister Miracle that I found really interesting. You should all seek it out as it was really good.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Can I make a small suggestion? All comic sans all the time. Thank you for your time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wow rude dont get him fired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

Wow rude dont get him fired

If it's good enough for science it's good enough for comics