Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

DammitJanet posted:

I think my motherboard is going bad*. Any replacement recommendations for a gaming board would be much appreciated!

*ive been getting BSOD’s for about a month with the message DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. Finally it stopped booting altogether one day. Wouldn’t even POST. At first I thought it might be a PSU issue so I RMA’d it and the replacement didn’t fix the issue. It was only after pulling the video card that it would boot. I stuck another GPU in to test with and it powered up fine with it. I started shopping for a new video card when I got the same BSOD with the Driver Power State Failure stuff again. It happens every few days or so. I bought every part of this rig new except the mobo/cpu and the original GPU. I’ve had the board for almost five years but it’s never recognized both sticks of RAM. Only one of the two 4GB sticks at a time, regardless of slot, and regardless which stick I use so I doubt the RAM isn’t the problem.

If you can get it stable long enough to use this: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

It'll tell you what driver file is causing the issue. If it was a straight up hardware issue, you'd likely just get a straight shutdown as most modern motherboards have safeties that err on the side of caution.

That being said, it sounds like you're suffering a myriad of issues with the board, but it'd be nice to know your price range before any of us make recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

DammitJanet posted:

I think my motherboard is going bad*. Any replacement recommendations for a gaming board would be much appreciated!

Dunno about Intel, but on the AMD side you can't go wrong with a Ryzen 2600 + B450 Tomahawk. Other goons might come up with something better. :shrug:

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If you can get it stable long enough to use this: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

It'll tell you what driver file is causing the issue. If it was a straight up hardware issue, you'd likely just get a straight shutdown as most modern motherboards have safeties that err on the side of caution.

That being said, it sounds like you're suffering a myriad of issues with the board, but it'd be nice to know your price range before any of us make recommendations.

When I run it it says 0 Crashes and I can't find any files in the minidump folder...? Am I supposed to try to run it right after a BSOD in order for it to work?

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I’m sorry guys - as I’m going to be buying parts next week I keep waffling back and forth in my head and tonight is one of those nights where I can’t sleep so I just keep mulling poo poo over.

There’s a $200 cost difference here but I want to make sure I am getting the absolute best value I can out of this build as it needs to last me the next few years with minimal maintenance or part replacement.

So I am stuck between:

i7-9700k w/ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI
or
R7 2700X w/ASUS Crosshair VII

Both builds with 16GB 3200 MHz RAM using a GTX 1070 Ti FTW2 on an Alienware AW3418DW.

I game a LOT on my computer and value my FPS. That said I have friends and fellow goons who want me to stream some of the stuff I play too - so I want to make sure I don’t get hosed on that front. Finally, I am trying to get my foot in the door in Cyber security so I am working on doing some slight VM work and work with Docker to get familiar with it.

So please give me one last set of opinions. The price difference isn’t really that major to me - more the benefit of performance / longevity.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Tensokuu posted:

I’m sorry guys - as I’m going to be buying parts next week I keep waffling back and forth in my head and tonight is one of those nights where I can’t sleep so I just keep mulling poo poo over.

There’s a $200 cost difference here but I want to make sure I am getting the absolute best value I can out of this build as it needs to last me the next few years with minimal maintenance or part replacement.

So I am stuck between:

i7-9700k w/ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI
or
R7 2700X w/ASUS Crosshair VII

Both builds with 16GB 3200 MHz RAM using a GTX 1070 Ti FTW2 on an Alienware AW3418DW.

I game a LOT on my computer and value my FPS. That said I have friends and fellow goons who want me to stream some of the stuff I play too - so I want to make sure I don’t get hosed on that front. Finally, I am trying to get my foot in the door in Cyber security so I am working on doing some slight VM work and work with Docker to get familiar with it.

So please give me one last set of opinions. The price difference isn’t really that major to me - more the benefit of performance / longevity.

The 9700k will game better and stream fine, but you're going to be heavily gpu bound on a 1070ti with an ultrawide monitor. Try to upgrade that to a 2070 or 2080 if you can.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Or a used 1080 Ti, which are back down to semi-regularly selling for $500-550. The AM4 motherboard has the added benefit of compatibility with Zen 2, which is likely releasing later this year. Of course, we still don't know what gaming performance will look like.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Stickman posted:

Or a used 1080 Ti, which are back down to semi-regularly selling for $500-550. The AM4 motherboard has the added benefit of compatibility with Zen 2, which is likely releasing later this year. Of course, we still don't know what gaming performance will look like.

The closest guess as to the performance of the Ryzen 3xxx parts will be at parity with if not a little faster than the 9900K. That being said, the Ryzen 3xxx parts will still be using the Infinity Fabric and probably have better memory performance than the 1xxx/2xxx parts, but still lag behind Intel. Mind, that doesn't really make a lot of difference because most people in here are following the thread recommendation and sticking to DDR4-3000 and 3200 and not swinging for the fences with 3600-4000+ sets that cost as much as a second video card.

I *do* think the price correction on the RTX parts is coming. The "deal" I got on my FTW3 2080 @ $799 is probably going to be the card's MSRP in another month or so, and the entry-level prices to the 2060/70/80 will probably lock at $329/$449/$599 over a few months time, with promo codes and rebates shaving off more off that top. nVidia's already telegraphing the price drop with the free game offers (which cost them less than said price drop), especially with the Anthem offer as it's a game people *want* while BF V's star is fading on the PC due to EA dropping the ball on cheaters. 2080s have already gone under $699 *with* the free game offer.

AMD's shown their hand with the Radeon VII and it's pretty weak, aside from a very generous frame buffer pool which will likely make the card very popular with non-professional content creators who will probably figure out a way to flash it with a Radeon Pro BIOS even before it officially launches. It gives them a part that challenges the 2080 (and drivers will probably bring them to a respectable parity), but they're at least a year/year and a half away from having a part that'll challenge the 2080Ti, and despite nVidia taking a few well-deserved shots to the nuts recently with regards to bad business decisions and having starry eyes, you can rest assured that they're already hard at work on ~the next big thing~, and while I don't have a ton of faith that Intel's GPU offering is going to ~revolutionize the industry~, the sheer fact that they've not given up yet like they did last time they got a stick up their asses about discrete graphics should scare the living hell out of AMD.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Feb 1, 2019

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Butt Discussin posted:

The 9700k will game better and stream fine, but you're going to be heavily gpu bound on a 1070ti with an ultrawide monitor. Try to upgrade that to a 2070 or 2080 if you can.

Yeah the video card was given to me just before the new 20XX models came out which sucked. Would it be easier if I went with a dual monitor setup (again) as I haven’t purchased the monitor yet?

I guess my question irt this is: Is it the issue of the 1070 Ti pushing frames at 1440p -- or is it just that I'm not gonna pull 120hz consistently? Because I don't really care so long as my performance is smooth.

Tensokuu fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 1, 2019

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BIG HEADLINE posted:

AMD's shown their hand with the Radeon VII and it's pretty weak,

Likely, but reviews aren't out, are they?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Tensokuu posted:

Yeah the video card was given to me just before the new 20XX models came out which sucked. Would it be easier if I went with a dual monitor setup (again) as I haven’t purchased the monitor yet?

I guess my question irt this is: Is it the issue of the 1070 Ti pushing frames at 1440p -- or is it just that I'm not gonna pull 120hz consistently? Because I don't really care so long as my performance is smooth.

You should be able to hit 120hz in most games, depending on the settings, but those settings will seldom be ultra and you'll often have to go to low in newer games. It will be fine and still worth getting an ultrawide, but there is a real performance hit there compared to a non-UW 1440p monitor.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Gotcha gotcha. Fair enough, I can actually live with that. Things don't need to be on ultra anyhow, I'm happy with high for the most part. I mean, up until a few months ago I was using a GeForce 750 so. :v:

So I guess the question is - is it worth $200 to go i7-9700k or should I just go R7 2700X and take the hit in frames as a trade-off for money and possible ease of swapping processors to Zen3 in a year or two?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Tensokuu posted:

So I guess the question is - is it worth $200 to go i7-9700k or should I just go R7 2700X and take the hit in frames as a trade-off for money and possible ease of swapping processors to Zen3 in a year or two?
If the performance difference between those two isn't worth $200 to you then you might as well drop down further to a 2600/2600X since the gap between the 2600/2600X and 2700X is even slimmer.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Need a little AMD hand holding here as well as some intel input.

Was waiting for the Nvidia GPU 2000's to see if I should splurge on a new computer, came out pretty lackluster for me even though it has pretty huge performance increases over my 980Ti OC.

I'm starting to think maybe I'll upgrade anyways and just do new CPU/Mobo/Ram/M.2 drive and do the GPU later.

my current system from 2012 is:
i7-4790K
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5
Corsair vengence pro 16gigs of DDR3-2400 ram
intel SSD 500gb
EVGA Nvidia 980TI OC edition
So it's become a decent bottleneck on VR stuff these days, i've just been able to do ultra settings on most of my games with 1080 resolution so it hasn't been a need to upgrade until VR stuff.

I'm looking at either the i7-9900K or i7-9700K CPU but struggling on MOBOs right now, historically I've been into Gigabyte Mobos but debating about going into the water cooling and overclocking scene maybe. I don't need Wifi or RGB controller, just looking for performance and overclocking.

The other choice, is an AMD system because why not for shits and giggles.. people seem to like them these days and if it's considerably cheaper maybe i'll do it.. but I'm not sure what the like for like to the i7-9900K is.. Ryzen 7 2700x? I have no idea about AMD Mobos and coolers either so no drat clue what's even recommended. A point to X versus Y versus Z would be good starts.

Lastly,
Since i really didn't like the Nvidia 2000 series price point versus performance, what's the next ATI card that's rumored to compete and rough idea of when?

Moneywise, I don't care if my processor is 500$ or 600$ for example but it would be silly for 5% increase for 1200$ as an example of where my heads at.. looking for top performance without going into the ridiculous pricing. Also, unless a 400$ mobo is dramatically better than a 200$ mobo, i wouldn't care for that.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Need a little AMD hand holding here as well as some intel input.

Was waiting for the Nvidia GPU 2000's to see if I should splurge on a new computer, came out pretty lackluster for me even though it has pretty huge performance increases over my 980Ti OC.

I'm starting to think maybe I'll upgrade anyways and just do new CPU/Mobo/Ram/M.2 drive and do the GPU later.

my current system from 2012 is:
i7-4790K
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5
Corsair vengence pro 16gigs of DDR3-2400 ram
intel SSD 500gb
EVGA Nvidia 980TI OC edition
So it's become a decent bottleneck on VR stuff these days, i've just been able to do ultra settings on most of my games with 1080 resolution so it hasn't been a need to upgrade until VR stuff.

I'm looking at either the i7-9900K or i7-9700K CPU but struggling on MOBOs right now, historically I've been into Gigabyte Mobos but debating about going into the water cooling and overclocking scene maybe. I don't need Wifi or RGB controller, just looking for performance and overclocking.

The other choice, is an AMD system because why not for shits and giggles.. people seem to like them these days and if it's considerably cheaper maybe i'll do it.. but I'm not sure what the like for like to the i7-9900K is.. Ryzen 7 2700x? I have no idea about AMD Mobos and coolers either so no drat clue what's even recommended. A point to X versus Y versus Z would be good starts.

Lastly,
Since i really didn't like the Nvidia 2000 series price point versus performance, what's the next ATI card that's rumored to compete and rough idea of when?

Moneywise, I don't care if my processor is 500$ or 600$ for example but it would be silly for 5% increase for 1200$ as an example of where my heads at.. looking for top performance without going into the ridiculous pricing. Also, unless a 400$ mobo is dramatically better than a 200$ mobo, i wouldn't care for that.

If you're already used to gigabyte mobos congrats because they've got the best VRM on non-halo products basically for z390. I went with an Aorus Ultra and I prefered my old asus board in almost every way but the VRM on this is good. I like too that there's a VROUT reading so you can see the voltage actually going to the CPU with hwinfo64.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Okay, after a day of thinking, rebalancing some things I was planning on doing, I came up with this:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus - ROG Crosshair VII Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard

The motherboard/CPU can be purchased in a combo at Microcenter for $413.98.

Question though - Would it be worth more to go:
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard

The combo cost of this is $417.98 -- so for a $4 difference I could get the bigger processor but with a lesser board. (I'm not sure of the difference in the motherboards here -- that's kinda out of my wheelhouse).

[ Edit: Cutting this question about 2080s ]

The more I think about it - because EVGA 1080 Ti warranties follow the card, I may seriously look into just getting a used one from ebay in the $550-600 range and selling my 1070 Ti FTW2 for $350-400 (It was $460 new in October) and calling that a fair swap.

Seriously, thank everyone for their help on this. I'm sure I'm frustrated a few of you (and for that I'm sorry) but I'm just making sure this thing is going to be as awesome as possible and I'm almost ready to pull the trigger. Should have the money in 6 days.

Tensokuu fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 2, 2019

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I'm looking to get a RTX 2070 card for rendering, was going to pull the trigger on this MSI Aero RTX 2070 card. Going with the blower since I might add a second one later.

Just wanted to know if the goon wisdom knew of a reason this card would be a bad idea? Reviews seem to be generally positive but I've never bought MSI brand for video cards before.

(Actually, might as well ask about blowers as well- if I have a very large case, and the PCI slots that the two cards are going to be in have a little space between them (I'm using this mobo, do I really need to go with the blower card? Not sure how cramped things have to get before a blower is considered required.)

Listerine fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 2, 2019

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I actually got a Noctua NH-D15, but I couldn't get both of the screws in. Even putting what seemed like a lot of force, all the happened is I couldn't get the second screw to make contact. Sometimes the first screw would pop off the threads.

So I'm gonna return it, but some thermal paste is left on my CPU. Do I need to clean that off before trying a different fan or can I just put more paste on top of it in a few days when the new fan gets here?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

You're going to want to clean that paste off and then re-clean the surface of the heat spreader before mating the new cooler to the CPU. The reason? Between now and then, you will get dust and particulate on that paste, and you want as little foreign matter and miscellaneous detritus between the spreader and heatsink bottom plate.

Ideally, once you put the HSF on you never have to touch it again for ~5 years (I've not touched mine in 7+ now and the temps are still amazing - with AS5, no less), so you might as well ensure that crud doesn't stay there for that period of time, contributing slightly or noticeably to temperature anomalies that might just persuade you to have to yank everything out and do it again.

Being OCD once beats having to do something twice.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 2, 2019

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You're going to want to clean that paste off and then re-clean the surface of the heat spreader before mating the new cooler to the CPU. The reason? Between now and then, you will get dust and particulate on that paste, and you want as little foreign matter and miscellaneous detritus between the spreader and heatsink bottom plate.

Ideally, once you put the HSF on you never have to touch it again for ~5 years (I've not touched mine in 7+ now and the temps are still amazing - with AS5, no less), so you might as well ensure that crud doesn't stay there for that period of time, contributing slightly or noticeably to temperature anomalies that might just persuade you to have to yank everything out and do it again.

Being OCD once beats having to do something twice.

Makes sense. Thank you!

Should I rush to clean it off ASAP or can it wait a few days while I wait for the new cooler to arrive?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

oliveoil posted:

Makes sense. Thank you!

Should I rush to clean it off ASAP or can it wait a few days while I wait for the new cooler to arrive?

Nah, no rush - 91% isopropyl cleanses all. Maybe pick up a cheap (and sacrificial) microfiber cloth.

I get a bit OCD when I'm doing a first build, I'll not only clean the CPU/HSF mating surfaces, but (using a secondary cloth or a clean side/corner - not the one that has residue of potentially conductive TIM on it) clean the pins on the PCIe cards and RAM as well. I don't get into the DIMM/PCIe *slots*, but every little thing you can do to ensure everything's right the first time can't hurt.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Oh, wow, I hadn't even considered cleaning other stuff. Getting a little into the ram connectors sounds a bit scary, but then, I don't really know what's safe to touch and what's not. :sweatdrop:

Glad to hear it's not a rush though. Thank you again for the tips! :)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'm just talking about giving the gold connectors a once-over, nothing fancy.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

oliveoil posted:

Oh, wow, I hadn't even considered cleaning other stuff. Getting a little into the ram connectors sounds a bit scary, but then, I don't really know what's safe to touch and what's not. :sweatdrop:

Glad to hear it's not a rush though. Thank you again for the tips! :)

Not that I recommend it, but people have washed entire mobos (with the battery removed first) and video cards under running water, then dried with a hairdryer and they still work perfectly fine afterwards.

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013
Hey thread, I have a question from the hive mind. I need to upgrade my graphics card because I'm running 2 amd 6970s in cross fire and it's at the end of the line performance wise. I'd like a decent middle of the road card but I'm not so sure what the market is like anymore. I read the op and saw that nvidia is what's recommended, which hurts my heart since I've been a bit of an amd fanboy for awhile. Ice checked new egg prices and for decent amd cards the prices seem steep, I don't know if prices are still inflated from crypto mining or what. If I could have any guidance I'd appreciate it. For what it's worth I'm in the US.

Edit: to clarify this is for gaming on windows and I run two monitors. They're nothing special dell monitors and I run them in whatever native resolution they have. I think 1080? Regardless, the problem is I can't get drivers for my cards that are compatible with some games and I need something to bring me up to date, not looking for anything super fancy.

redpleb fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Feb 2, 2019

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

redpleb posted:

Hey thread, I have a question from the hive mind. I need to upgrade my graphics card because I'm running 2 amd 6970s in cross fire and it's at the end of the line performance wise. I'd like a decent middle of the road card but I'm not so sure what the market is like anymore. I read the op and saw that nvidia is what's recommended, which hurts my heart since I've been a bit of an amd fanboy for awhile. Ice checked new egg prices and for decent amd cards the prices seem steep, I don't know if prices are still inflated from crypto mining or what. If I could have any guidance I'd appreciate it. For what it's worth I'm in the US.

Edit: to clarify this is for gaming on windows and I run two monitors. They're nothing special dell monitors and I run them in whatever native resolution they have. I think 1080? Regardless, the problem is I can't get drivers for my cards that are compatible with some games and I need something to bring me up to date, not looking for anything super fancy.

Are you gaming on one monitor or doing some split screen stuff? Assuming one monitor, the 1060/2060 is the sweet spot for 1080p. For split screen you might want to look up what other people are using for the games you play specifically. Prices should be fine; the crypto thing died down a while ago.

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 2, 2019

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

redpleb posted:

The current "I have no idea what to buy" GPU of choice is the RX580 8GB at ~$180.

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013

AgentCow007 posted:

Are you gaming on one monitor or doing some split screen stuff? Assuming one monitor, the 1060/2060 is the sweet spot for 1080p. For split screen you might want to look up what other people are using for the games you play specifically. Prices should be fine; the crypto thing died down a while ago.

I mostly multitask. Game on one and have Netflix or a webpage running on the other. Nothing exorbitant.

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013

Palladium posted:

The current "I have no idea what to buy" GPU of choice is the RX580 8GB at ~$180.

Thanks! That's what I was looking for!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm glad I went with the thread's advice to RMA this PSU. It has gotten progressively louder, and now it's obviously a mechanical issue with like the bearings or something because I can hear a cyclical variation to the sound.

Replacement should arrive in a couple days.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Not sure the best place for this, so I'll throw it in this catch-all thread.

I'm looking for something like a kvm but just for my keyboard and mouse, which are both USB. Preferably with little/no lag introduced as it's for a gaming computer and my streaming computer.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Aexo posted:

Not sure the best place for this, so I'll throw it in this catch-all thread.

I'm looking for something like a kvm but just for my keyboard and mouse, which are both USB. Preferably with little/no lag introduced as it's for a gaming computer and my streaming computer.

There shouldn't be lag introduced but there may be a delay when you switch due to the devices disconnecting/reconnecting:
https://smile.amazon.com/UGREEN-Selector-Computers-Peripheral-One-Button/dp/B01MXXQKGM/

If both machines are running windows there's a bunch of software options for just controlling one from the other over the network. I use Mouse Without Borders a lot for multi-pc stuff (mostly clipboard sharing). Check the options for enabling or disabling a bunch of the features, I turn most of them off but leave holding control and dragging to move to the next PC:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35460

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I've been happily using this for a couple of years for a KVM: IOGEAR 2-Port USB VGA Cable KVM Switch with Cables and Remote $16.49. I have a Microsoft egro keyboard/mouse wireless combo with a single USB receiver, only have to plug one USB cable into each PC, and just leave the VGA plug hanging. It has a button attached to a long thin cable to toggle the KVM which is great for tucking away the cord mess and just having a single cable and button sitting on the desk to switch back and forth.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

DammitJanet posted:

I think my motherboard is going bad*...

Supposing my mobo is indeed the culprit in my recent BSOD's, I'd like to replace the board and keep using my 4770k for another year or two. Any recommendations on a Z87 board? Is ebay my best bet?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

DammitJanet posted:

Supposing my mobo is indeed the culprit in my recent BSOD's, I'd like to replace the board and keep using my 4770k for another year or two. Any recommendations on a Z87 board? Is ebay my best bet?

My ASUS Z87-A has been solid but you can also shop for Z97 (which are compatible) and I wouldn't get too hung up on branding for an old motherboard. You won't find any new old stock for reasonable prices so you should probably shop for used on ebay, but be careful of "parts only" listings or "from china" because there seem to be a lot available from china but there's no guarantee of the condition of the board or authenticity. I mean, ebay will cover you if it's not as expected but it's still a pain in the rear end.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So I'm looking to upgrade my CPU, which means I'm swapping out the motherboard and RAM as well. I'm coming from an overclocked i5-2500k and my plan is to pick up a 9600k. This is what my build will end up looking like afterwards:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($329.00 @ Canada Computers)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($114.00 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($123.77 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $566.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-02 18:49 EST-0500

One suggestion I'm looking for is a motherboard that won't break the bank but will still do what I need it to and not be a total lemon. It's pretty much the thing I have the least amount of experience with. The most I've done with my current MSI board is download some bios tools to help overclock my current CPU. This one I've chosen here is literally the cheapest ATX Z390 board I saw on PC part picker and I'm having a hard time gleaming any useful information on why I shouldn't just go with this cheapest board over something maybe a bit more expensive.

So if anyone could help me with some info around that I would greatly appreciate it :). Or if you have any suggestions about the whole package in general I'm all ears.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DammitJanet posted:

This should be stickied for your kind of situation:

Only if the replacement Z87/Z97 mobo is reasonably priced, which is next to impossible these days. Besides, every used Z board can be safely assumed to be thoroughly abused by OCing kiddies, who can and will overvolt the hell out of everything they can put their hands on (Incidentally, NV BIOS-locking down Pascal or later GPU voltages specifically to prevent this sort of stupidity). Needless to say the reliability of these will be VERY suspect after years of use.

So the only two real options left are:
1. Buy a cheap used H/B board, but lose the ability to OC your 4770K.
2. (Recommended) Cut your losses, sell your 4770K on Ebay which still fetches around $150, then upgrade to a Ryzen 2600 + B450 mobo + 16GB DDR4 3000 or better for ~$350, which means you will top up around $200 for far better performance in just about everything. There are other choices, but this combo is by far the most bang for your buck.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 3, 2019

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I have an Asus Z87 mobo I would be willing to part with

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Howdy,

I'm looking to build a new gaming pc, last time i build one was way back in 2011 and the only upgrades since then have been a new video card in 2014, and buying a SSD. Looking to build something new that will last me a long time but also not spend unnecessary money for minimal gains. That said, I'm totally unfamiliar with what's currently good or not and basically build this list by looking at a local website and cross referencing a bit with pcpartpicker, so any advise would be nice. I'm in Europe and have a 1080p resolution monitor. Prices are from using a local website (tweakers.net) which is more reliable for me than the limited selection on pcpartpicker.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (432 euro)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 PCGH Edition (50 euro)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro (191 euro)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 (130 euro)
Video Card: GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming OC 8G (800 euro)
Power Supply: Corsair RM550x (2018) Black (90 euro)
Total:1693 euro

The video card feels really expensive, but i suppose I'd be able to make some of the money back by selling the included game keys

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Davincie posted:

Howdy,

I'm looking to build a new gaming pc, last time i build one was way back in 2011 and the only upgrades since then have been a new video card in 2014, and buying a SSD. Looking to build something new that will last me a long time but also not spend unnecessary money for minimal gains. That said, I'm totally unfamiliar with what's currently good or not and basically build this list by looking at a local website and cross referencing a bit with pcpartpicker, so any advise would be nice. I'm in Europe and have a 1080p resolution monitor. Prices are from using a local website (tweakers.net) which is more reliable for me than the limited selection on pcpartpicker.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (432 euro)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 PCGH Edition (50 euro)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro (191 euro)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 (130 euro)
Video Card: GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming OC 8G (800 euro)
Power Supply: Corsair RM550x (2018) Black (90 euro)
Total:1693 euro

The video card feels really expensive, but i suppose I'd be able to make some of the money back by selling the included game keys

If you plan on keeping that 1080p monitor you can spend about 600 euro less and get the same experience. Especially if it's a 60Hz monitor. The 2080 is what you buy for 1440p 144Hz or 4K 60Hz. The 9700K is also very far into the diminishing returns pricing range. Try a build with a Ryzen 5 2600/2600X and a 2060 or the upcoming 1160. If you have 1080p 60Hz you can even get away with a Radeon RX580.

All that being said, consider upgrading your monitor. You can get 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS with Freesync (which now works on Nvidia cards too) for about 4-500€. (Acer VG270UP / VG271UP / XV272UP).

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Unless you will really need more performance right now, best to wait until mid-year for Zen 2 and likely Turing GPUs, DDR4 and SSD price cuts. That seems to be the perfect timeframe where all the hardware stars align.