Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

HookedOnChthonics posted:

The best product I ever saw advertised in one of those catalogs was “GI soap,” which offered varieties called things like Victory and Indominable. One of them was described as having “the incredibly manly scents of bergamot and black pepper,” which is I think one of the best progressions of words possible in the English language.

IIRC George Washington's favorite cologne had a dominant bergamot scent to it. They're saying online it was Caswell-Massey Number Six cologne, but I could have sworn I read he mixed up his own with a bergamot/sour orange effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tias posted:

During the cold war, the Swedish intelligence service lost ALL fall-back bases in northern Sweden, in one fell swoop by.. having isolated work crews for each base work on need-to-know bases, and throwing away the only map they placed them all on. :eng99:

Wasn't there some minor(?) scandal a few years back where a bunch of swedish fallback positions and such got leaked to the public? Like little bases/bunkers out in the middle of nowhere, Northern Sweden all out in the public eye.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wasn't there some minor(?) scandal a few years back where a bunch of swedish fallback positions and such got leaked to the public? Like little bases/bunkers out in the middle of nowhere, Northern Sweden all out in the public eye.

a beautiful story of lost and found

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
like little bases in the middle of nowhere, all this will be lost in time

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
There used to be a little bar named Soldier of Fortune Klubi & Pub in Tallinn that used the SoF logo and I doubt it had bought a license. We speculated if it really was a front to a mercenary operation like in the game.

That's my SoF story :shrug:

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

wrt logos, sometimes i go by a taco place seemingly called santos laguna with the mexican soccer team's logo that im assuming isnt licensed (but who knows i guess). i've seen something similar with an auto shop or something using club america's name and logo

anyway

random ww2 question: what was night fighter doctrine, or tactics or whatever? what roles did they play, how did they get to their objective, and how did they go about shooting somebody else down in the dark? how did it change when radar came in, and how did that vary between combatants? i just read in an LP that japan's night fighters didn't get radar till 1945, did other countries start the war with it?

just curious about night fighters, is all

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
There were a couple of night-specific tactics. The Germans had one setup where the fighters would fly below bombers and catch them silhouetted against the night sky, then blast at them with upward-firing cannons, and another where unmodified day fighters would fly above the bomber formations and pick them up against fires and searchlights on the ground below. This was terrifying for the pilots because it was very difficult to find your airfield when the mission was over.

All in all though you were much more effective with your own radar, though, which usually meant a larger airplane to accommodate the equipment and a dedicated operator - the RAF's first night fighters were converted light bombers, while the USAAF's dedicated night fighter, the P-61, was as large as a B-25. The Navy did mount some smaller sets on the outer wings of Hellcats and Corsairs, though.

"Night intruder" missions were a fairly common thing, where you used the dark to fly in low and perform various acts of aerial harassment and disruption - the Mosquito was especially good at these.

Two details that night fighters tended to get were flame dampers for engine exhausts and flash hiders for guns, both to avoid being seen by enemy aircraft and to avoid blinding the pilots as they groped around in the dark.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 1, 2019

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

it's make-believe but for adults

I've always wondered why no HEMA nerds seem to want to practice the proud European martial tradition of shooting indigenous people with muskets and taking their land.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

StandardVC10 posted:

while the USAAF's dedicated night fighter, the P-61, was as large as a B-25.

The armament on this thing lmao. I'd gotten the impression that the US was very fond of the "just throw more HMGs on aircraft" school of thought. Was the fact that the engagement window at night might be very small indeed the reason that they tossed 4 autocannons on it?

Comrade Koba posted:

I've always wondered why no HEMA nerds seem to want to practice the proud European martial tradition of shooting indigenous people with muskets and taking their land.

I mean, depending on WHO it is you're talking about...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GUNS posted:

this is still around and it is glorious

(i would shower with Naval Supremacy and yall would too)

Unless "Naval Supremacy" smells like the hangar deck of an aircraft carrier I'm not interested. If it does smell like the hangar deck of an aircraft carrier, I'm still not interested.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

oystertoadfish posted:

random ww2 question: what was night fighter doctrine, or tactics or whatever? what roles did they play, how did they get to their objective, and how did they go about shooting somebody else down in the dark? how did it change when radar came in, and how did that vary between combatants? i just read in an LP that japan's night fighters didn't get radar till 1945, did other countries start the war with it?

I read a memoir by a British pilot, Graham White's Night Fighter over Germany: Flying Beaufighters and Mosquitoes in World War 2, which is a joyous account of too much drinking, a lot of sex, many training accidents, and relatively little about actual night fighter missions. He does talk a little bit about his job as an intruder night fighter. The mission was to fly over occupied Europe and intercept Nazi night fighters before they intercepted the bomber stream. To do this, the navigator-radar operator had a last generation set, because you can't let the Nazis get a cavity magnetron, which had a maximum effective range of maybe 10 km, and a minimum effective range of something like 1 km.

So the two of them would be flying along, in a Mossie cockpit so cramped you practically had to be greased in, and the navigator would be reading oscilloscopes and shouting "Left, Up, Left, Right, Down. He's dead ahead! Don't you see him?" And the pilot would be trying to spot flames from engine exhaust so he could make a shot. Meanwhile, the Nazi, who's under some kind of ground controlled intercept, is trying to the same to them.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Cessna posted:

I just got an ad for a "Senator John Mccain Half Dollar Coin Colorized Genuine US Tender" coin.

FML

I am a gas station attendant and this is NOT legal tender and I will NOT let you buy "Budlite + Clamato" with it.

Comrade Koba posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl76rTxIyzI

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Milo and POTUS posted:

The armament on this thing lmao. I'd gotten the impression that the US was very fond of the "just throw more HMGs on aircraft" school of thought. Was the fact that the engagement window at night might be very small indeed the reason that they tossed 4 autocannons on it?

I mean, depending on WHO it is you're talking about...

The US hosed the Hispano up pretty good for the first half of the war so bit the second half they actually started putting it on things. The USAAF was fine with .50s for the most part but the Navy wanted 20mm for most of the war, it just wasn’t worth using for awhile. The Black Widow probably did see value in higher burst mass though, yeah.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 1, 2019

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Yeah, I'm aware of nazi costume parties military reenactments, I was just wondering why HEMA as a sport is always focused on swords, swords and more swords.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Koba posted:

Yeah, I'm aware of nazi costume parties military reenactments, I was just wondering why HEMA as a sport is always focused on swords, swords and more swords.

Swords are cool :colbert:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Because swords are dope

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HookedOnChthonics posted:

The best product I ever saw advertised in one of those catalogs was “GI soap,” which offered varieties called things like Victory and Indominable. One of them was described as having “the incredibly manly scents of bergamot and black pepper,” which is I think one of the best progressions of words possible in the English language.

I want “oakum”, “creosote”, and “spent gunpowder”.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Also almost everything else is a giant pain in the neck to spar with. Bayonet fencing has been getting some attention lately, which is something I guess.

But swords are dope.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

This is the cover of the new Chemical Brothers album, it's giving me a real cold war vibe, can anyone guess when/where it was taken?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It appears to be a Chieftain turret, is driving on the left, and that looks like a fairly typical British motorway

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

zoux posted:

Do they still make Soldier of Fortune magazine and was it a real thing or just a deal for weird loners to read and feel like hi speed operators

Come now, it partially organized the invasion of Dominica :pseudo:

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 1, 2019

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Neb had an absolutely amazing post about Nightfighters.

Also I offer this equally amazing 1984 Playboy longform piece about what it (allegedly) was like working at Soldier of Fortune Magazine.

quote:

Was SOF what it purported to be? Was it really the professional journal of questionable adventurers with altered passports, of scarred men of unwholesome purpose who met in the reeking back alleys of Taipei? Of hired murderers who frequented bars in Bangkok where you could get venereal diseases unheard of since the 13th century? Or was it a clubhouse for aging soldiers trying to relive their youth? Or was it, as one fellow in Washington sniffed, “an exploitation rag catering to the down-demo extinction market?”

https://fredoneverything.org/life-at-soldier-of-fortune-magazine/

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

oystertoadfish posted:

i just read in an LP that japan's night fighters didn't get radar till 1945, did other countries start the war with it?

Radar was very very new at the time. Radar of a practical size to be put in an aircraft was a British invention traded to the US for military assistance before it had entered the war (see also the jet engine and the beginnings of the atom bomb project) -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tizard_Mission

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

oystertoadfish posted:

You ask a mouthful

I think the main thing about night fighters is that they flew and engaged on their own; no formations. This was a big positive for the Germans, as it allowed their night fighters to remain effective *long* after other Luftwaffe branches were folded; just off the top of my head early in the morning, I think the raid where the Allied Night Bombers lost the most aircraft on a single raid was in November 1944? Since for the Germans it was bomber vs. fighter, this gave them another advantage as they could use older aircraft that were specialized in bomber-killing. The Bf 110, the Ju 88, and the Do 217 were all effective night fighters into 1944. When it came to combating German night fighters, the Allies used badass late mark Mosquitoes - but these also hunted by themselves. The Germans went through several distinct phases in night fighter defense doctrine, and were very innovative and flexible all things considered.

Radar and electronics was a very big thing in this battle, and people have written books on it as it was a long, closely fought battle on both sides.

aphid_licker posted:

Neb had an absolutely amazing post about Nightfighters.

:blush:

He 219 part one
He 219 part two

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

What's better than a Neb effortpost? A two-part Neb effortpost!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Geisladisk posted:

Because swords are dope

I mean the posing flexibility of swords are through the roof. Sadly without the bang guns, especially the older ones despite looking baller can only do so much.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Siivola posted:

Also almost everything else is a giant pain in the neck to spar with. Bayonet fencing has been getting some attention lately, which is something I guess.

But swords are dope.

Yeah, swords are dope and safely sparring with poleaxes or similar is rather dubious. To do HEMA I don't need an actual harness and while there might be disagreements on what rules are silly and what are not I have found them consistent so far. I have been to two international competitions and I will attend more of them in the future. I did olympic fencing and kendo for several years and found that I like HEMA (longsword & sidesword, maybe someday sabre) the most.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
https://twitter.com/thinkdefence/status/1091305244963807232

Tag urselfs.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Yoinking this to add to my "the military gay as hell" evidence locker.

It's a very full locker.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

This is the cover of the new Chemical Brothers album, it's giving me a real cold war vibe, can anyone guess when/where it was taken?

Yeah, that's a Chieftain somewhere in Britain. The gun doesn't have the MRS mirror on it so that should narrow the date down to late 60s to late 70s. Guessing which motorway is going to be considerably harder, even with the reduced number of motorways in that period, but I'm going to say they're on the M3 going up from Bovington on an exercise because why not?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

IIRC George Washington's favorite cologne had a dominant bergamot scent to it. They're saying online it was Caswell-Massey Number Six cologne, but I could have sworn I read he mixed up his own with a bergamot/sour orange effect.

Yes, it was Caswell-Massey No. 6 and I wear it often. He also gave a case to the Marquis de Lafayette, his biggest fan.

Also for famous scents, JFK wore Caswell-Massey Jockey Club.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I hope it's a stealth campaign for Battlefield 1982: Malvinas

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thalantos posted:

It's a very full locker.

my platoon was 20% openly gay and this was before the DADT repeal

I always assumed the barracks were a complex mix of gay sex and drama

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Unless "Naval Supremacy" smells like the hangar deck of an aircraft carrier I'm not interested. If it does smell like the hangar deck of an aircraft carrier, I'm still not interested.

"Smells like Mahan's bathtub."

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Comrade Koba posted:

Blacksmith-Industrial Complex

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

bewbies posted:

Same, even before DADT. Maybe less open about it in front of higher-ups, but the percentage was about the same.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

bewbies posted:

I always assumed the barracks were a complex mix of gay sex and drama

I mean, I shoulda known something was up when I graduated basic and we all got rainbow ribbons to put on our uniforms

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Equal parts JP5, paint, old sweaty gym clothes, cooking grease, garbage, recycled air, and farts

Really captures that authentic ship feel

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
speaking of ship smell, I wasn't old enough to ever be on a ship when smoking was allowed. some older colleagues of mine were, however.

that must have been an experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Thalantos posted:

It's a very full locker.
Would you say that it is a type of wardrobe, or maybe closet, that a lot of stuff is just barely not coming out of