Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Okay, for Lantern Greater Victory I have to get 7 loving witnesses in a row, and they all decay after like 90 seconds? And I have to maintain the allure, and get a level 15 lantern influence, and summon a maid in the mirror every time? What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

vetinari100 posted:

You can also use Fascination to summon Raw Prophets , as long as it has not been snatched up by Visions yet.

Took me way too many slow wins before I realized how easy Raw Prophets are to summon. Fascination, restlessness, erudition lessons, fleeting memories, buzzing; there's a ridiculous amount of stat cards tagged as moth inspirations. Now I just summon an army of limbs and rush every vault that has grail or moth on all the obstacles and I'm halfway done with normal mode's midgame.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Okay, for Lantern Greater Victory I have to get 7 loving witnesses in a row, and they all decay after like 90 seconds? And I have to maintain the allure, and get a level 15 lantern influence, and summon a maid in the mirror every time? What the gently caress

yea, at one point I just gently caress it and console'd the drat thing

I thought the new game+ was a great idea, but meh, I am seriously burnt out with this

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
AK did say it would be tedious hard! :quagmire:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

dead comedy forums posted:

yea, at one point I just gently caress it and console'd the drat thing

I thought the new game+ was a great idea, but meh, I am seriously burnt out with this

Yeah Kennedy is poo poo at understanding what "challenge" means in this game. I got the Allure once, didn't realize it was timed, and lost it so I was like "Okay, I get it". Then I lined everything up, even had a Watchman's Glass and Wildering Mirror to make sure I had two chances at A Splendour, and that took a few tries. Finally I got the Witness and was like "Oh cool, 6 more times". At that point I had literally killed the Long, had no real Detective problems, and was sitting on a mountain of Funds, so there was genuinely no real threat. It just meant I would have to spend about forty-five minutes doing commissions for Bronze/Silver Spintria to repair my mirrors and poo poo so that I would have enough to get 7 different Witnesses. None of that is challenging or engaging, it's just "Do this complicated thing, but now 7 times".

Is the Forge Apostle any better? I tried the Grail one but wasn't very engaged.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

How do I get the rivals to stop stealing all my ascension slots?

I thought I was recruiting them when I turned them, woops!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I had a lot of fun with Forge+! Lots of trying to figure out what you're supposed to do (the fun part of the game), no tricky time coordination poo poo, and the Long went for the kill at almost exactly the right time.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I really liked Grail, doing lantern now and yeah it feels a little more annoying, I'm kind of at the point where I'm trying to stack SH lore to maybe get a drat frangiclave while I set up my maid-in-the-mirror engine.

Forge next!

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Re: lantern+ ascension, you can regenerate the Allure by studying it with a Fascination, which takes 30s. As soon as you get it the first time you need to keep chain-summoning Maids-in-the-Mirror but you should be able to do it in one go. Once you've got the 7 witnesses together they stop decaying.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ghost of Starman posted:

"Light LEAKS through the CRACKS. My mind is BRIGHTER than it EVER was..."

:tinfoil:

Only if the light was hookers and booze...

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
There isn't a chat thread and there's no dedicated Sunless Skies thread, so I'm put this gossip right here.

It looks like Alexis Kennedy's departure from Failbetter wasn't as amicable as it might have appeared and has certainly deteriorated since then.

AK follows none of the Sunless Skies developers and promoted another project, Spinnortality, (which kind of looks interesting) on the game's launch day.

Plus there's some allusions to difficult personal problems from the Narrative Director of Sunless Skies, Chris Gardner (maybe not AK related but who knows? It's hard inheriting a project whose previous occupant and main co-creator wants nothing to do with you).

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
If we farm up 9 more Scurrilous Suggestions, we'll have ourselves a Slanderous Supposition.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
https://twitter.com/tronbevan/status/1091319768680972288

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

fez_machine posted:

There isn't a chat thread and there's no dedicated Sunless Skies thread, so I'm put this gossip right here.

It looks like Alexis Kennedy's departure from Failbetter wasn't as amicable as it might have appeared and has certainly deteriorated since then.

AK follows none of the Sunless Skies developers and promoted another project, Spinnortality, (which kind of looks interesting) on the game's launch day.

Plus there's some allusions to difficult personal problems from the Narrative Director of Sunless Skies, Chris Gardner (maybe not AK related but who knows? It's hard inheriting a project whose previous occupant and main co-creator wants nothing to do with you).

Yeah I was pretty surprised that he didn't promote the launch yesterday and was wondering if there was more to the story than 'yeah I left the company I founded because I started dating one of my employees and decided that was inappropriate so we founded a new company together.' I could be wrong, but I think he promoted the kickstarter though? So maybe the relationship deteriorated after he left.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

fez_machine posted:

I got some serious change of direction vibes from Sunless Skies from their newsletter while it was in development, and some reviews that I have read seem to show some significant creative differences from both games. Probably what happened is that Kennedy started to "yo wtf you ppl are doing with my baby" and the guys at Failbetter went "well... you left?" and welp

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

How do I get the rivals to stop stealing all my ascension slots?

I thought I was recruiting them when I turned them, woops!

Edit the save to erase all traces of their existence when it gets annoying enough. I like to think of it as being like that Laird Barron story where these detectives are just going down the road in their car and then the doors lock and the windows lock and they drown in their own blood out of absolutely nothing because whatever they’re hunting can rewrite reality on a whim.

E: ok the subject of writing, sunless skies doesn’t have the magic of sunless seas or CS to me. It’s fine, even good, but it doesn’t do the signature trick of having these sentences that sound amusing or silly at first and slowly become horrifying as you start to understand the context.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 1, 2019

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

fez_machine posted:

I don't know anything about anything but the Spinnortality is part of the mentoring program thing he does so it's not out of nowhere.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Beefeater1980 posted:

Edit the save to erase all traces of their existence when it gets annoying enough. I like to think of it as being like that Laird Barron story where these detectives are just going down the road in their car and then the doors lock and the windows lock and they drown in their own blood out of absolutely nothing because whatever they’re hunting can rewrite reality on a whim.

I have no idea who this author is but I am intrigued.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

I have no idea who this author is but I am intrigued.

Ha! I was just going to say, never heard of this guy but based on that description alone I'm gonna look him up :D

E: As long as folks are talking about it - how's the gameplay of Sunless Skies, if the writing's not quite up to snuff? Just recently started getting into Sunless Seas based on the thread's recommendations (& thanks for the tips folks posted a couple pages back, btw), and was strongly considering picking up Skies even if it was just more of the same. Pretty bummed to hear it's not gonna have that trademark Kennedian prose.

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 2, 2019

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Yeah Kennedy is poo poo at understanding what "challenge" means in this game. I got the Allure once, didn't realize it was timed, and lost it so I was like "Okay, I get it". Then I lined everything up, even had a Watchman's Glass and Wildering Mirror to make sure I had two chances at A Splendour, and that took a few tries. Finally I got the Witness and was like "Oh cool, 6 more times". At that point I had literally killed the Long, had no real Detective problems, and was sitting on a mountain of Funds, so there was genuinely no real threat. It just meant I would have to spend about forty-five minutes doing commissions for Bronze/Silver Spintria to repair my mirrors and poo poo so that I would have enough to get 7 different Witnesses. None of that is challenging or engaging, it's just "Do this complicated thing, but now 7 times".

Is the Forge Apostle any better? I tried the Grail one but wasn't very engaged.

Can't speak for Forge, but I just finished Grail+ and what you described sounds marginally worse, but similar.

Puzzling out the ritual and fighting the Long were fun, but it has the exact same problem as the base game: you hit a point where you're just grinding research and nonstop trips to the Mansus for the last 2 hours or so to get the Secret Histories and Influences you need to finish. Arguably, it's even grindier (sorry, "harder") despite the faster start. The Grail+ victory requires several specific Port Noon/Peacock Door relics/ingredients, whereas the base game could pretty much be won as soon as you found any 1 or 2 of them.

Also, from reading the last page I learned that you can kill the Long somehow, which I managed to totally miss.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Ghost of Starman posted:

Ha! I was just going to say, never heard of this guy but based on that description alone I'm gonna look him up :D

E: As long as folks are talking about it - how's the gameplay of Sunless Skies, if the writing's not quite up to snuff? Just recently started getting into Sunless Seas based on the thread's recommendations (& thanks for the tips folks posted a couple pages back, btw), and was strongly considering picking up Skies even if it was just more of the same. Pretty bummed to hear it's not gonna have that trademark Kennedian prose.

Gameplay is much improved but still kinda bad. The desert bus feeling is much much lessened but the combat feels like bumper cars with machine guns attached to them constantly circling each other (it's awful and almost unplayable/unwinnable against multiple enemies). The dodge mechanic is painful if you have dyslexia because it's a facing dependent left and right rather than screen absolute.

The prose feels like all the things in Sunless Seas that Kennedy didn't write, which is actually a fair chunk of Sunless Seas (many hands chipped in for various islands, all I think have returned). I didn't notice much difference.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I decided to go back and do the Heart ascension, which I never did, and I definitely prefer these modes to NG+. I'd be fine if they just added in enemy Longs to the base game.

I am still salty that Moth and Heart ascension paths are literally the exact same though.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I can see why AK recommended Spinnortality since the charm of the game is all the marketing blurbs for horrific cyberpunk products and you are rewarded for reading and thinking about them. Fun, not much replay though.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

I am still salty that Moth and Heart ascension paths are literally the exact same though.

I mean... Lantern and Grail are 100% identical, and the only difference between them and Forge is you sacrifice money instead of people.

Not to mention that for all 3, Desire steps 4-6/7 are repeating the same thing three times, which feels like a placeholder he never replaced.

If it were up to me, it would at least be:
Lantern : Sacrifice increasingly powerful/rare Lore
Forge : Sacrifice increasingly powerful/rare Instruments
Grail : Sacrifice increasingly important people: 1. Random cultist 2. Captured hunter 3. Lover

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I do think at least Forge should require spintria instead of funds.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
speaking of spintria, is it just me or is the fastest way to make big cash just spamming jobs for the other cultists hoping to get as many very substantial jobs as possible? a single silver spintria sells for 8 in the auction and here and there the auction people go completely mad and just throw you all the cash because it's a nice day or something.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Truga posted:

speaking of spintria, is it just me or is the fastest way to make big cash just spamming jobs for the other cultists hoping to get as many very substantial jobs as possible? a single silver spintria sells for 8 in the auction and here and there the auction people go completely mad and just throw you all the cash because it's a nice day or something.

You can't auction spintriae when you've got an expedition going, though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, that can be a bit annoying.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Cult Sim is on the new humble monthly. If anyone wanted to sell me their bonus copy I would be interested.

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Truga posted:

Commissions are one of if not the best way to generate cash. They also generate Erudition or Glimmering every time you turn them in, I think, which is great when you're grinding Research.

They just take 3 different verbs and you can't regularly do them until you start stockpiling Lores.

Also the ratio of time : payoff gets a lot worse if you factor in forgetting which Commission came from which Mentor and having to manually try every combination when you turn one in.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Avasculous posted:

Also the ratio of time : payoff gets a lot worse if you factor in forgetting which Commission came from which Mentor and having to manually try every combination when you turn one in.

I solved this my very first time playing. Always line up your patrons together, and place their commissions under them when received. When done, place the completed product above them.

But yeah, grinding commissions in between expedition bursts can rack up big dough. It’s certainly less tedious than Dance/Banking/manual labor to keep afloat.

I wish you could sell lore. By late game, I’m swimming in books, none of which I can gauge what kind of lore they’ll spit out, so I translate and read all of them, but end up having way more lore than I can upgrade.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Dalaram posted:

I solved this my very first time playing. Always line up your patrons together, and place their commissions under them when received. When done, place the completed product above them.

I do the same, but inevitably it gets messed up. If AK wasn't AK, the UI might do something to help like only allow you to add the correct commission to the Mentor when you're trying to submit, but he is and it doesn't.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Tenasscity posted:

Cult Sim is on the new humble monthly. If anyone wanted to sell me their bonus copy I would be interested.

https://www.humblebundle.com/

I'd be interested in selling you mine (always feels bad buying a game roughly a week before it's announced in Humble Bundle...)

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Ghost of Starman posted:

I'd be interested in selling you mine (always feels bad buying a game roughly a week before it's announced in Humble Bundle...)

hit me up at: wtoups@gmail.com

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Do you still need to turn your lamp off to save fuel in skies?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dalaram posted:

I wish you could sell lore. By late game, I’m swimming in books, none of which I can gauge what kind of lore they’ll spit out, so I translate and read all of them, but end up having way more lore than I can upgrade.

I had the idea a little while back that a way to make the Scholarship skill a job would be to have you writing your own lore books to sell. I wonder if the game is moddable enough to make that happen...

Although you can usually tell what kind of lore a book will give you by its colour, there's very few exceptions to that.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

I had the idea a little while back that a way to make the Scholarship skill a job would be to have you writing your own lore books to sell. I wonder if the game is moddable enough to make that happen...

Although you can usually tell what kind of lore a book will give you by its colour, there's very few exceptions to that.

I think something similar might be planned. In the roadmap there's a bit about player written tome as well as scholarship job.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Took me nearly an hour from when I started combining lore cards to upgrade one to the maximum level, and that was on the fast setting.

Avasculous posted:

Commissions are one of if not the best way to generate cash. They also generate Erudition or Glimmering every time you turn them in, I think, which is great when you're grinding Research.

They just take 3 different verbs and you can't regularly do them until you start stockpiling Lores.

You can just click the commission to see who gave it to you.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 4, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

xiw posted:

Do you still need to turn your lamp off to save fuel in skies?

Nope!

There's a movement strategy lurking, but frankly I recommend just toggling Cheat Engine "everything happens at 2x the speed" on and off. :v:

Also travel is inherently faster than Sea, thank God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah for Skies light DEFINITELY matters a great deal, it's not a fuel drain though. You won't have to worry about light until a certain region but when you're there light becomes its own fun little terrifying thing to manage. Light is law after all when it comes to Fallen London.