Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

I haven't tried it myself but if you use sigma lenses with their own MC-11 adapter it supposedly works great. It also seems to work with lenses from other manufacturers like canon or tamron, but of course sigma makes no promises that it will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
MC-11 works just fine with all the 3 cameras and Canon L glass for non-wildlife/sport use. You don't have all the various features and lack several of the autofocus options but EYE-AF works fine (honestly EYE-AF is the big reason to get these cameras, the other specs are on-par with the equivalent CaNikon cameras (5D4, D850) but the Sony menus are so mind bogglingly obtuse the benefit of Sony EYE-AF barely outweighs the drawback of the worst user interface of any electronical device in human history.

For wildlife i have only used the A7RIII on my Canon 300 F2.8 and it is practically useless. I never took the A7III out to do this while i had that and i haven't had time to take the A9 out yet. From what i have seen with my A9 so far in indoor usage is that the autofocus isn't noticeably better than the A7RIII. I have even used the A9 with native glass and it struggled to lock on in an alrightly lit setting (F2.8, 1/200, ISO6400)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I'll have to see about renting the Sony camera once Eye AF is all working along with a lens to see if it can actually compete with my D500 3D tracking + 200-500mm combo.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
The D500 tracking and FPS plus native lens auto-focus speed is amazing as long as you have the aperture and shutter speed to get the head stopped and in focus you are very likely to get a "winner" shot.

With mirrorless and lens adaptors from what I read the speed of AF is not as good I think that this will lead to less winner shots for BIF whereas for landscapes/portraits it's not an issue.

M4/3 seems interesting with "2x crop factor" i.e. carrying around much smaller gear but still having "600mm equivalent" reach (I know is is controversial) but the results seem okay.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
The biggest advantage of m43 stuff is that I can have my Panasonic 100-400 crammed in my regular camera bag and still have room for my walkaround zoom and two compact lenses.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Getting a used gx80 and a panasonic 100-300 was cheaper and weighs less than getting a sigma or tamron 150-600 + adapter for my sony. m43 is great if you want to get long focal lenghts at low weight and cost.

e: here's a northern hawk-owl I saw today

And a fieldfare

Pretty Cool Name fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 18, 2019

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I've never seen a fieldfare before. What a pretty little guy!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Pygmy Nuthatch in Pine-4384 on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Whoa, dunno how I missed this but Sigma has released a 60-600mm f/4.5-6.3.

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/60-600mm-f45-63-dg-os-hsm-s

Not anything I need since I use a Nikon 200-500mm and have a Tamron G1 150-600mm as backup but if it's got good image quality that is a very interesting lens for some folks.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Kenshin posted:

Whoa, dunno how I missed this but Sigma has released a 60-600mm f/4.5-6.3.

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/60-600mm-f45-63-dg-os-hsm-s

Not anything I need since I use a Nikon 200-500mm and have a Tamron G1 150-600mm as backup but if it's got good image quality that is a very interesting lens for some folks.

60cm MFD as well jesus that's not bad

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Watched a review, I guess it's extremely good on the long end but the 60mm end turns everything into a retro vaporwave look because the chromatic aberration and color weirdness is so blindingly awful.

e: :gonk:

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 29, 2019

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
The Oly red dot works really nicely, these guys move real fast and it would be super hard to get them in flight without it.

White Tern

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Atlatl posted:

Watched a review, I guess it's extremely good on the long end but the 60mm end turns everything into a retro vaporwave look because the chromatic aberration and color weirdness is so blindingly awful.

e: :gonk:

I want to see that used with some Lomography Purple film.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Silvereye by Marc, on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
White Tern and Fish

Hey, how does everyone shoot birds in flight? I'm finding it extremely hard to get the EVF to my face without losing sight of the subject and I feel like I'm relying heavily on this red dot sight, the LCD, and just bursting. I'm shooting small fast birds which probably doesn't help.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

I tend to have one eye on the viewfinder and use the other eye to survey the scene, then kind of switch eyes to find/then shoot.

Technically I have 2 focus buttons on the back of the camera. One to use singlepoint autofocus, then the other to use a zone autofocus, depending on situation. Use manual mode to set shutter speed and aperture, and use auto ISO.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Atlatl posted:

White Tern and Fish

Hey, how does everyone shoot birds in flight? I'm finding it extremely hard to get the EVF to my face without losing sight of the subject and I feel like I'm relying heavily on this red dot sight, the LCD, and just bursting. I'm shooting small fast birds which probably doesn't help.
This is a skill that just gets better the more you do it. It helps if you can pick out your target as it's coming into range, and then start panning ahead of time so you can pick it up easier when it's in the frame. Zone AF can help pick up the bird quickly, but usually it's not the eye that grabs focus so this isn't the best way to get consistent results.

The smaller birds are pretty difficult, and Terns are just about as hard as they get to track.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Glad to know that they're real hard to shoot and I'm not just an uncoordinated fuckwit. Framing is more of the problem than AF, but going to the parks nearby should be good practice.

I'll be around Melbourne in a week and a half so I should have something more interesting to shoot than terns and sparrows.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Atlatl posted:

White Tern and Fish

As bird-in-flight shots go, that's pretty good. Too often BIF translate to an underexposed underside of a bird against a boring sky.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Pablo Bluth posted:

As bird-in-flight shots go, that's pretty good. Too often BIF translate to an underexposed underside of a bird against a boring sky.

Good point. I think it's a nice shot, because it fits my personal qualifications for a nice bird shot:

- Shows bird's eye
- Shows a behavior (in this case, catching fish)
- Interesting negative space around bird (not just a blob with a head)
- Shows feather detail

What are your personal qualifications for a nice shot?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Most of my BIF shots? Blurry tip of a wing or something on the edge of the frame. I think that's a very nice image.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

vonnegutt posted:

Good point. I think it's a nice shot, because it fits my personal qualifications for a nice bird shot:

- Shows bird's eye
- Shows feather detail

I'm not sure I have strict criteria for a good shot. I think it's easier to define a bad shot; it'll some combination of harsh light, poor bird posture and boring background.

In general I definitively have a preference towards soft lightning for wildlife photography; a lot of people tend to do BIF in bight light (because they want high shutter speeds) and the result invariably disappoints. Atantl's shot doesn't have too much of the bird in harsh shadow and instead shows off some really interesting feather texture and tones.

The bird's shape, a product of the posture of the bird and the overall angle to the camera, is really important. Certain phases of a bird's wing beat are more photogenic than others. Likewise you want the beat of the wing and the angle of bird to combine to show off the shape of both wings. BIF looks unbalanced when you can only properly see one wing, or worse when both wings either blend in to or are hidden by the body. Atlantl's shot shows off nicely the shape of both the wings and tail.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

vonnegutt posted:

- Shows bird's eye
- Shows feather detail

I've probably just been trained by looking at photos of birds in harsh bright lighting (like Pablo said). The colors and texture comes out at a distance a little better, but now that I look at things the diffuse cloudy lighting brings out different colors.

I think most of my stuff is coming out underexposed with the ISO in auto, but I probably just need to mess with settings for that.

I just need to look at more BIF pics and keep practicing I guess :parrot:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Atlatl posted:

I've probably just been trained by looking at photos of birds in harsh bright lighting (like Pablo said). The colors and texture comes out at a distance a little better, but now that I look at things the diffuse cloudy lighting brings out different colors.

I think most of my stuff is coming out underexposed with the ISO in auto, but I probably just need to mess with settings for that.

I just need to look at more BIF pics and keep practicing I guess :parrot:
If you know you're going to be almost always shooting against the sky then boost your exposure compensation to deal with the underexposing, but of course the second the bird dips into the treeline or something else darker your shots are going to be ruined. My camera body has a few extra buttons on the front, and at one point I had one mapped to switching between +2.0 EV and back again just for this case, but since most of my shooting is in the winter I found I couldn't reliably press that button with mitts on so dropped it, but it might be an option for you.

vonnegutt posted:

- Shows bird's eye
- Shows feather detail

Bird eye in focus is probably the most critical one imo. After that it completely depends on the bird and behaviour being captured. Your tern shot is great because of a lot of reasons: the fish staring at us is fantastic, the framing of the bird is perfect giving it space in the direction it's flying, and that pastel background works great with the creamy-white bird. The exact same shot with a mallard duck would probably be boring (unless it also had the fish in its mouth).

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Snow is great for BIF because it acts as a giant reflector so helps avoid a lot of the underlighting issues.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

This is great, love the brightness of the fish head.

The colors in this are fantastic.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Since we're talking BIF one from the archives, I love the classic falcon shape, like a B2 Stealth Bomber

Kestrel by Aves Lux, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I had the zoo to myself last weekend because it was cold as balls

BRW71052 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW71112 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW70712 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW71205 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

1) nice bird 2) goddamn that oly 300mm is nice 3) the reflection of the cage in its eye is the most depressing poo poo ever

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Atlatl posted:

1) nice bird 2) goddamn that oly 300mm is nice 3) the reflection of the cage in its eye is the most depressing poo poo ever

Not a cage, thankfully! It's in a free flight room in an aviary. The pattern in its eye is from a nearby window made up of glass blocks.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh man i really like this

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Thanks, that was taken at the Royal Botanical Gardens in Melbourne. It's somehow cold as gently caress here despite still being Summer (car was reporting 5 C at one point) so a lot of the flowers and stuff are fading already.

Went to a bird flight show at Healesville Reserve, it was super cool though a couple of them went rogue, like the Wedge Tailed Eagle at the end going out looking for sandwiches and buzzing people for fun.

probably not going to try and chase after one of these in the wild though, I don't need to get stabbed

way too big to be zoomed all the way in

state bird

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Atlatl posted:

way too big to be zoomed all the way in

yooooooooooooooo

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Birds not in flight:

sassy molty boys

Got way too crowded at night and I left because it was just watching these guys eat poo poo jumping down backwards over breakwater rocks to get to their nests. I should have brought my red light but I assumed that any and all lights would give them seizures or whatever.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
dont mind me just gonna keep blowing up this thread

Rainbow Lorikeet eating off a Cockspur Coral at the Melbourne Royal Botanical Gardens. This one didn't care about me getting close even when it could hear the shutter going off. There were other birds but they weren't as good.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Keep blowing it up, these are awesome

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Atlatl posted:

dont mind me just gonna keep blowing up this thread

Rainbow Lorikeet eating off a Cockspur Coral at the Melbourne Royal Botanical Gardens. This one didn't care about me getting close even when it could hear the shutter going off. There were other birds but they weren't as good.

There's something about rainbow lorikeet eyes that makes autofocus grab them in diamond sharp focus.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I have a ton of out of focus ones too but yeah, I think the shiny red ring just makes a good target for AF.

These were all at Serendip Sanctuary. I went to You Yangs but it looks like the place burnt down somewhat recently, at least along the side with the hiking trails. Not much has moved back in and the trees are pretty young.

Flinders Station. These Corellas (and parrots in general) lose a lot of their exotic appeal when they're just hanging out screaming unintelligibly at each other in the parks.

Cape Barren Goose, also at Serendip, though it wasn't actually part of the "enclosure" (most of it is either 3-5 ft fences that most of the animals could easily leave if they wanted???) and they just wandered in. They're loving huge, like 3-4 feet tall and they just hang out around water or on peoples' lawns or wherever.

Superb Fairy-Wrens at Serendib along one of the walking paths. The male has the blue breeding plumage while the females almost just look like tree sparrows from a distance.

oh god i just realized that tree was covered in bugs

Tawny Frogmouth in a walk-in enclosure. Really well camouflaged. It's way larger than what you'd think based on the photos, they're larger than most owls I've seen in the US.

Any animals larger than a finch don't do poo poo all in the middle of the day and just sit in the shade which makes it hard to get good pictures. Gonna try to figure out where to find some Tawny Frogmouths in the wild so I can maybe get decent light on one near sunset when things get active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Atlatl posted:

Birds not in flight:

Constructive criticism: I find the red reflection in the eye really distracting, which is a shame because the rest of that iris looks incredible. Are there any others like this you took that there isnt much/any reflection in the eye or possible to edit that red out?