Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zurui posted:

How Can This Be from the master of subtlety that brought us Monte Cook's World Of Darkness ft. The Masquerade Is Over, Just Go Kill Monsters Now.

~who can it be now~ 🎶

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kurieg posted:

It did sort of deliver on the oWoD's oft renegged promise of "FULL CROSSOVER NOW", the problem is that it did this by turning all the splats into classes and then making two of the classes suck out loud due to hilariously bad upkeep requirements.
If I needed an experienced designer to balance classes in a new edition, I'd probably fall down the stairs and break my neck in the rush to hire Monte Cook.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Halloween Jack posted:

If I needed an experienced designer to balance classes in a new edition, I'd probably fall down the stairs and break my neck in the rush to hire Monte Cook.

My favorite part of his balancing of mages means that casting disintegrate is relatively easy but casting control weather runs a serious risk of killing or incapacitating you despite the fact that they're relatively same level spells.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
My favorite part of MCWoD was that casting magic was a skill roll. You could cast magic to increase your bonus to a skill, to increase your stat directly, or to increase your d20 rolls. You could make these spells permanent, so every mage, given a few days, could massively buff their spellcasting skill over what they were "supposed" to have.

Also demons had a natural refresh rate on their power pool (called anima) of like 1 per day, base (assuming you made the correct choice at chargen and didnt pick a bane, since that leaves you with no natural refresh). Unless you took the ability to give people any of the following bonuses: +4 to one ability score, +10 on checks with one skill, +10 hit points or darkvision. It costs the demon only 5 anima and it gives the target -2 wisdom, except they can take +4 wisdom. This gives you one point of anima per day while they're alive and nothing stops you from doing this to literally everyone you meet.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

GM intrusons also happen every time a player rolls a 1 on a d20. This is a freebie intrusion, too, that the player doesn't get XP for. PCs in Cipher games have a Type (class), Descriptor (basically a profession/trait bonus), and a Focus (basically the D&D 4e themes). Each focus has suggestions for what kind of GM intrusons can happen. So like, if your focus is about using a bow, one of the suggested intrusions is "you shoot another character."
Jumping back to air another gripe about Numenera marketing/fanboosting. One of the things people hyped up about Numenera back when it first came up was how it supposedly had this super-simple character creation process where you say your character is an Adjective Noun that Verbs, and then you're done. (Noun is the Type, Adjective the Descriptor, Verb the Focus).

Except it doesn't work like that because each of those things has a heap of mechanical information associated with it, all of which you'll need to note down and keep track of, so character generation actually isn't that much faster than, say, 5E D&D. There's less fiddly choices than in D&D, but there's still a stack of little bits of mechanical information you have to keep track of bound up in each Verb, Noun and Adjective; you can't just fall back on "I'm an Adjective Noun who Verbs" and expect to be able to work out your character's capabilities from first principles unless you've actually memorised the book.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Kurieg posted:

It did sort of deliver on the oWoD's oft renegged promise of "FULL CROSSOVER NOW", the problem is that it did this by turning all the splats into classes and then making two of the classes suck out loud due to hilariously bad upkeep requirements.

Did high-level vampires have to kill dozens of people to heal all their hit point damage?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The irony being that "Adjective Noun who Verbs" works in *world games where you can be like "Since I'm 'verb' can I roll my Y to X?"

Which, you know, is antithetical to what Alexander seems to want.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Did high-level vampires have to kill dozens of people to heal all their hit point damage?

They have 1d8+con hit dice per level (and start at level 4, like everyone else) and can spend a blood point to heal... 10 damage.

If they invest too much into blood potency they can't feed from humans anymore and eventually can only feed from other supernaturals, then other vampires, then other vampries who can themselves only feed from other supernaturals.

one blood point is equal to 2 points of constitution damage, so a high level vampire with even a mediocre amount of constitution investment needs to kill 3 people to heal to full from low health.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 1, 2019

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Kurieg posted:

The irony being that "Adjective Noun who Verbs" works in *world games where you can be like "Since I'm 'verb' can I roll my Y to X?"

Which, you know, is antithetical to what Alexander seems to want.
And that's particularly annoying to me because, whilst I have some sympathy for what Alexander *claims* to want (action resolution is based on the in-character situation rather than external considerations of narrative/gameplay, focus is on immersion and feeling like you're interacting with a real world that kicks back, "dissociated" mechanics which require you to make a decision which isn't available to the PC to make are excluded), I think this sort of "I'm an adjective noun that verbs, so I reckon I'd be good at/average at/bad at this particular task" system would be perfect for delivering that.

I really despise the hijacking of the whole simulation/verisimilitude idea by the engineering end of gaming who wants a set of game rules that act more or less like rules of physics and "realism" in the sense of pretending your system is very accurate to real life. In practice it's either a huge lie and your system still has honking great holes or you end up with a system more suited to be the underlying maths of a videogame physics engine than something you can adjudicate by hand at a tabletop session without massively slowing down the flow of play. For the purpose of that sort of game, I'm much more about simulation/verisimilitude in the sense of "Given the IC premises and axioms of the gameworld we've agreed to play in, and the facts as they sit in this situation, is this proposed task going to be easy or difficult?" and then resolving based on that.

High-crunch simulationism has got its place (say, if we're talking about something like Ars Magica, where the process of learning and mastering and using magic is meant to be quite an intellectually intensive and academic process so having a complex system handling it helps get that feel across), but it isn't the only flavour of what people call "simulationism" out there and the tarring of that corner of the Forge threefold (or the rec.games.frp.advocacy threefold that preceded it) with the high-crunch brush is infuriating to me.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So how does combat feeding work, can vamps kill better just be latching on then any normal fighting?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Vampires were the only non humans with a decent refresh. Werewolves got a point for the first time they see the moon each night an an extra during their phase of the moon, so like 1/4 of the time, and could eat a freshly killed human heart for another point, so they could barely ever get points. A demon could either have a bane that hurt it or a requirement to eat a specific thing every day, and if they picked the eating thing they got one point a day, and they could eat one soul after a combat for a point, assuming they roll a nat 20, (eating a soul requires 10 minutes, souls hang around for 10 minutes), but the boon thing I mentioned above means even if you just boost party members you have 4-5 per day. Vampires, on the other hand, can drink one point of vitae per 2 points of constitution drain, and so the average person can supply 5 vitae. Of course, fixing constitution is extremely easy for a mage so any party with a mage has infinite blood. Did I mention that mages can cast a spell to recover the resources they use to cast spells? Because they can.

Also cows can survive complete blood loss.

I did a Fatal and Friends of MCWoD that I gave up on because mages are broken as gently caress in that game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Rules-as-physics always results in at least a couple problems, one of them major. First, total thematic letdown: you can't make a superhero game where Batman and Superman are on the same footing, for example, if you're allergic to narrative or at least highly abstracted mechanics. Second, you are going to wind up with those weird holes where a normal person can throw a baseball 10 miles or whatever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded of why TVtropes had its initial appeal; it presents a view of media that doesn't purely revolve around 'who would win' scenarios and technicalities but in which actual thematic devices, archetypes and story structures are important. Such a goddamn break from nerds who saw literally everything as a wargame and desperately crammed square pegs into round holes on a daily basis.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of why TVtropes had its initial appeal; it presents a view of media that doesn't purely revolve around 'who would win' scenarios and technicalities but in which actual thematic devices, archetypes and story structures are important. Such a goddamn break from nerds who saw literally everything as a wargame and desperately crammed square pegs into round holes on a daily basis.

Except now they're back doing that, except with Tropes this time.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Rules-as-physics always results in at least a couple problems, one of them major. First, total thematic letdown: you can't make a superhero game where Batman and Superman are on the same footing, for example, if you're allergic to narrative or at least highly abstracted mechanics. Second, you are going to wind up with those weird holes where a normal person can throw a baseball 10 miles or whatever.
The superhero field in general is one I'd say is pretty bad for a high-simulation "what would actually happen given these premises" approach, and one where I'm much more inclined to go for a more narrative system, precisely because it's a genre where narrative convention and the like takes precedence to rigorous in-world logic. I'd be much more inclined to go for high-simulation for, eg., a hard SF game where everyone was excited to actually get into the technical and scientific speculation of it all, or a very historically-based game where the group regarded doing a bit of research now and then for the game to be part of the fun, or an investigative game which veers away from the episodic "each investigation naturally comes to a climax and you do them in order" approach and more on a sandboxy "if you get stuck on one investigation you can push ahead on another dangling thread on your red string crazyboard and come back to it later" approach, or any concept where the role of big melodramatic storytelling tropes is downplayed.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So the whole "playing X game gives you brain damage thing" was obnoxious and wrong when Ron Edwards said it, and it would be just as obnoxious and wrong to say it about TVTropes, but god drat there are a lot of people out there who have entirely trained themselves to discuss media solely in terms of TVTropes ideas, to the point where the concept of stuff which doesn't lean heavily on tropes seems alien to them and they seem to think that the creative process entails picking a bunch of tropes and tacking a skin on them (which I guess is true if you're going for a mass-appeal formula blockbuster but is less true if you're dealing with eg. highly experimental literature or whatever).

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Warthur posted:

So the whole "playing X game gives you brain damage thing" was obnoxious and wrong when Ron Edwards said it, and it would be just as obnoxious and wrong to say it about TVTropes

Nah, TVTropes and D&D both give you brain damage. We've seen it first hand. The whole Heisenberg infinite bear space bullshit was obviously the product of a mind infected by D&D.

Also, I had a dumb sarcastic post typed up about the whole scansion thing but forgot to hit post this morning and now it's too late. So you all can thank whatever powers you worship that providence has spared you that particular shitpost.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Warthur posted:

So the whole "playing X game gives you brain damage thing" was obnoxious and wrong when Ron Edwards said it, and it would be just as obnoxious and wrong to say it about TVTropes, but god drat there are a lot of people out there who have entirely trained themselves to discuss media solely in terms of TVTropes ideas, to the point where the concept of stuff which doesn't lean heavily on tropes seems alien to them and they seem to think that the creative process entails picking a bunch of tropes and tacking a skin on them (which I guess is true if you're going for a mass-appeal formula blockbuster but is less true if you're dealing with eg. highly experimental literature or whatever).

Like you implied, in both cases it's a matter of a limited exposure (conscious and subconscious) to a flawed system of meta analysis. This actually ties back into that discussion from last week about D&D as the starter RPG. I don't agree with the necessity of it but I do agree the reality of it, and it's important to consider what sort of impressions D&D leaves players and DMs with. Not just when approaching mechanics or rules, but in attitudes towards fictional settings, the NPCs that inhabit it, and how the player characters interact with both. People joke about players being prone to violence and explosions, but that is the square peg D&D hands every PC to plug holes with after all.

Jimbozig posted:

Nah, TVTropes and D&D both give you brain damage. We've seen it first hand. The whole Heisenberg infinite bear space bullshit was obviously the product of a mind infected by D&D.

Also, I had a dumb sarcastic post typed up about the whole scansion thing but forgot to hit post this morning and now it's too late. So you all can thank whatever powers you worship that providence has spared you that particular shitpost.

It's really cool how we keep earnestly perpetuating Ron Edwards' hot take about how X RPG leaves you with permanent mental trauma directly equivocal to childhood sexual abuse.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 1, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Jimbozig posted:

D&D didn't give people brain damage, they gave it to themselves so they could focus their remaining tissue on being mad at 4e.

As for the "infinite bear" stuff, last time I checked on Trollman's forum it's literally impossible to read. They've gone completely down the rabbit hole of creating new Capitalized Jargon, based on other jargon, based on jargon Trollman made up, so as to be completely inaccessible to anybody who isn't already part of their weird cult.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's really cool how we keep earnestly perpetuating Ron Edwards' hot take about how X RPG leaves you with permanent mental trauma directly equivocal to childhood sexual abuse.

I wouldn't call it earnest. It is a classic hot take from the days before the internet was full of nonstop hot takes and the fact that it makes grogs so mad is why it's funny. I also don't remember anything about CSA being involved. If Ron compared it to CSA, that's really hosed up.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I would like to know more about this. I don't know who Ron is or what he 's on about.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
posted here http://www.indie-rpgs.com/archive/index.php?topic=18707.0

Ron Edwards posted:

It is not challenging the principles of awareness, critique, and mutual appreciation of functional play to point out other phenomena, dysfunctional ones. I am saying there is one "way" in particular for which I have not been able to identify a single fun quality even for its staunchest advocates, based on their very words, and now, at this late date, I have concluded that it is demonstrably damaging. It is, to use my jargon terms, Broken Narrativism, with all the features of Prima Donna and Typhoid Mary described in my essay, but wrapped up in a subcultural package and reinforcing procedures that impair normal human mental function as consistently as, for instance, inappropriate sexual experiences prior to a certain age.

I call it "damage," and I mean it. People are story-creatures. The characteristic loss of the capacity I see across almost all story-ish role-players, especially those of a certain age range, is like seeing a bunch of people with physical objects sticking out of their punctured skulls. Some of them, presented with alternative (or more accurately, functionally-prosthetic) procedures, say "oh!", extract the damaging material, and move on (that's you, Josh Neff). Others see that something functional is available, but suffer and grapple with it because they mistake some of the damaging material for required parameters (that's you, Jesse, Lisa, and Dave, or was for a while). Still others clutch the end of the object penetrating their brains and shriek protectively (that's you, Joshua [mneme]), which I can do nothing about.

seems more of an artifact of the pre-woke era of discussion about sexual assault than anything else but it is a weird comparison to make, regardless.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

I wouldn't call it earnest. It is a classic hot take from the days before the internet was full of nonstop hot takes and the fact that it makes grogs so mad is why it's funny. I also don't remember anything about CSA being involved. If Ron compared it to CSA, that's really hosed up.

Patreons are a lot like Community-Supported Agriculture

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
As I recall, he didn't equate it to childhood sexual abuse, but he definitely compared it being an amputee and likened many narrative games (including his own Sorcerer) as "prosthetics" designed to help people raised on a certain D&D playstyle to function as they should.

Here we go:

Vincent Baker posted:

I was searching through the past of the Forge and I came across this that I wrote back in May of last year:

So here are two points for you:

1. Sometimes it's fun and good for your PC to be a supporting character, not a protagonist. Thus, yes, prey to all the crap that befalls supporting characters, including random death.
2. Sometimes, then, it's also fun and good to not know whether your PC is a supporting character until some moment of truth. In fact further: to not get to choose yourself whether your PC is a protagonist or a supporting character, to let the events of the game's fiction choose. Your PC's random death may well be just such a moment.

There's no reason in the world why any gamer would recognize the truth of these two points out of hand. They're hard won. Having a gamer-like relationship with your PC makes them seem impossible, doesn't it?

Let me say in boldface: Let the events of the game's fiction choose whether your character is a protagonist or a supporting character.

I know of only one game in development that's taking this on (Ron Edwards' Spione). Are we still obsessed with securing our personal characters' relevance? Is the threat that our personal characters will be somehow made irrelevant still so urgent?

Ron Edwards posted:

My response, which is actually a diagnosis of the existing activity:

Yes, "we" are still obsessed, in the manner that you have described. It's a creative and technical illness, much in the sense that early cinema was hampered by the assumption that what they filmed should look like a stage-set, viewed front-on, from the same distance, at all times.

The design decisions I've made with my current project are so not-RPG, but at the same time so dismissive of what's ordinarily called "consensual storytelling," that I cannot even begin to discuss it on-line. I can see the influences of Universalis, The Mountain Witch, and My Life with Master, but I cannot articulate the way that I have abandoned the player-character, yet preserved the moral responsibility of decision-making during play. That's all I'll say here, and I won't answer questions about it.

More specific to your question, Vincent, I'll say this: that protagonism was so badly injured during the history of role-playing (1970-ish through the present, with the height of the effect being the early 1990s), that participants in that hobby are perhaps the very last people on earth who could be expected to produce *all* the components of a functional story. No, the most functional among them can only be counted on to seize protagonism in their stump-fingered hands and scream protectively. You can tag Sorcerer with this diagnosis, instantly.

[The most damaged participants are too horrible even to look upon, much less to describe. This has nothing to do with geekery. When I say "brain damage," I mean it literally. Their minds have been *harmed.*]

Perhaps Primetime Adventures, My Life with Master, Dogs in the Vineyard, Polaris, etc etc, are really the best available prosthetics possible, permitting the damaged populace to do X? If so, what will people with limbs prefer to use, to do X?

I don't know. I can see its parts forming, as with a mid-term embryo, but what it will be and how it will work, and who will use it for what purposes, I don't know. My current project may be right on track with it, or I may be veering off in a hopeless direction.

I get the point that he's trying to make, but yikes. And the general uproar led him to dig himself deeper and deeper and insist that what he said was not offensive and if you see an attack on vulnerable people here those are your dirty thoughts and shame on you you are disgusting.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 1, 2019

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Finster Dexter posted:

I would like to know more about this. I don't know who Ron is or what he 's on about.

Ok, it wasn't D&D, it was Vampire, and he talked about it here https://archive.org/details/TheoryFromTheCloset/tftc_show008.mp3 .

Basically, the claim was that the first edition Vampire told everyone they could make a story of literary artistic quality by role-playing, and also became Goth gear for a whole so that everyone's Gothy friends would be going on about the awesome stories they were making - except that Vampire's mechanics don't really do that, so they got massive confusion and social disconnection at the table. And this constituted "brain damage" because it happened during their teens and behavior cannot be proved non physiological or something.

Heck, I didn't even know he was still writing. Spione actually came out, and he even did a game he described himself as a Fantasy Heartbreaker.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 1, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Halloween Jack posted:

As I recall, he didn't equate it to childhood sexual abuse, but he definitely compared it being an amputee and likened many narrative games (including his own Sorcerer) as "prosthetics" designed to help people raised on a certain D&D playstyle to function as they should.

Here we go:

I get the point that he's trying to make, but yikes. And the general uproar led him to dig himself deeper and deeper and insist that what he said was not offensive and if you see an attack on vulnerable people here those are your dirty thoughts and shame on you you are disgusting.

It's right here http://www.indie-rpgs.com/archive/index.php?topic=18707.0

And yeah the root of the "brain damage" take was the way the Storyteller games misrepresent themselves as narrative games, not the impact of D&D on one's psyche.

e - pulled the quote out:

quote:

Now for the discussion of brain damage. I'll begin with a closer analogy. Consider that there's a reason I and most other people call an adult having sex with a, say, twelve-year-old, to be abusive. Never mind if it's, technically speaking, consensual. It's still abuse. Why? Because the younger person's mind is currently developing - these experiences are going to be formative in ways that experiences ten years later will not be. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the characteristic behaviors of someone with this history, but I am very familiar with them - and they are not constructive or happiness-oriented behaviors at all. The person's mind has been damaged while it was forming, and it takes a hell of a lot of re-orientation even for functional repairs (which is not the same as undoing the damage).

If someone wants to take issue with my use of the term "brain" when I'm talking about the "mind," I just shrug. As I see it, the mind is the physiological outcome of a working brain. Mess around with the input as the brain/mind forms, and you short-circuit it, messing up steps which themselves would have been the foundation of further steps. You could be talking about an experience such as I mention above, or you could be talking about sticking a needle into someone's head and wiggling it around. Brain, mind, damage. I don't distinguish.

All that is the foundation for my point: that the routine human capacity for understanding, enjoying, and creating stories is damaged in this fashion by repeated "storytelling role-playing" as promulgated through many role-playing games of a specific type. This type is only one game in terms of procedures, but it's represented across several dozens of titles and about fifteen to twenty years, peaking about ten years ago. Think of it as a "way" to role-play rather than any single title.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 2, 2019

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Impermanent posted:

seems more of an artifact of the pre-woke era of discussion about sexual assault than anything else but it is a weird comparison to make, regardless.

The end of one of those threads was him saying people he respects enough to make him reconsider his choice of words WTF'd at him, and after careful thought he decided, no, he was right after all. gently caress him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Critical Role is to Normal D&D as Pornography is to Normal Sex."
-RPGPundit, Year of Our Lord 2019

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dawgstar posted:

Yes, Critical Role is a rather profitable venture.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
That's not a completely terrible analogy and I hate that because RPGPundit.

On the other hand RPGPundit means it as a damning denunciation instead of simply descriptive, which is ridiculous,

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Impermanent posted:

I think we can easily replace the thing that we mean with the expression "READ ANOTHER BOOK"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think we can easily replace the thing that we mean with the expression "READ ANOTHER BOOK"
:hmmyes: Same problem, different context.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Comrade Gorbash posted:

That's not a completely terrible analogy and I hate that because RPGPundit.

On the other hand RPGPundit means it as a damning denunciation instead of simply descriptive, which is ridiculous,

I've seen sentiments to that effect around the internet for a solid two years now, so it's thankfully not an original thought.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

That's not a hot take. Come on. It's an obvious observation and reasonable comparison. We've got a classic nuclear take on this page comparing RPGs to both brain damage and childhood sexual assault trauma, and you post this luke-warm piss? Go back to the grog mines.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Nuns with Guns posted:

And yeah the root of the "brain damage" take was the way the Storyteller games misrepresent themselves as narrative games, not the impact of D&D on one's psyche.
I knew he had done that "System Does Matter" rant on Vampire, but didn't put the pieces together. Thing is, I think the two are related--he's also written about how D&D was originally a very wide-open and varied thing from group to group, based on people's personal experiences and what materials they had access to, but unfortunately when the playstyle became more standardized, it was a pretty lovely adversarial and punitive one. And Vampire and its coattail-riders mostly continued that.

Ron Edwards posted:

Now that I've compared people who don't roleplay right to the disabled, let's compare games I don't like to pedophilia
Yikes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jimbozig posted:

That's not a hot take. Come on. It's an obvious observation and reasonable comparison. We've got a classic nuclear take on this page comparing RPGs to both brain damage and childhood sexual assault trauma, and you post this luke-warm piss? Go back to the grog mines.

Oh, you mistook me. This is not dinner time and thus I was not trying to serve a spicy meatball. No, I was bringing to the light that the Pundit had what might have been an interesting topic for discussion that instead he boils down to 'they aren't playing the way I like!' With added snit fit of him being upset that "interlopers" are influencing the hobby far more than he ever has or will.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, you mistook me. This is not dinner time and thus I was not trying to serve a spicy meatball. No, I was bringing to the light that the Pundit had what might have been an interesting topic for discussion that instead he boils down to 'they aren't playing the way I like!' With added snit fit of him being upset that "interlopers" are influencing the hobby far more than he ever has or will.

It's sort of hilarious that he can trip over the pretty basic observation that Actual Play groups don't really sound like any table anyone who has played a tabletop RPG (and one that, to my knowledge, most Actual Play groups are very up front about "making good radio" and "having a fun gaming session" being two very different experiences), and the takeaway is somehow "And thus Actual Play podcasts are bad for the hobby."

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Halloween Jack posted:

I knew he had done that "System Does Matter" rant on Vampire, but didn't put the pieces together. Thing is, I think the two are related--he's also written about how D&D was originally a very wide-open and varied thing from group to group, based on people's personal experiences and what materials they had access to, but unfortunately when the playstyle became more standardized, it was a pretty lovely adversarial and punitive one. And Vampire and its coattail-riders mostly continued that.

Yikes.

There is a distinct through-line between D&D and Vampire, even as much as Vampire (and White Wolf as a whole) liked to pretend there wasn't. Edwards wasn't wrong that for all it's claims to artistry and story telling, Vampire was a game nominally about navigating the shadowy politicking of a hidden society of immortals that still felt it needed exacting combat rules and pages overflowing with spells, alternate class features, gear, and a character progression that generally mirrored the expectations of a successful D&D adventurer.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Pundit's hate has convinced me to finally check out Critical Role.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Lumbermouth posted:

I've seen sentiments to that effect around the internet for a solid two years now, so it's thankfully not an original thought.

Pundowski's never had an original thought in his life.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Imagine unironically using the term “normal sex” in TYOOL 2019. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Okay, I was probably very drunk when making that post (and to be fair, I also am when making this one. I'm Australian) but entirely fair on TVtropes just being a different flavour of brain damage. Albeit a more fun one. Much like alcohol.

I think I may possibly have something resembling a point in that a narrative-based view was a huge loving breath of fresh air compared to the long and storied history of people who treat games as physics engines, and frequently mistake overcomplication for 'realism'.