Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
We had a snow day without snow today. Had multiple missed calls. They wanted Majesta (remember verified 4K miles).took it out blasting it and sold sold sold adter 5 mins. They got plans maybe YouTube stuff out of my hands now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

KakerMix posted:

I'd mention it to Yoshi just so they are aware, maybe next time something like that happens you guys can react to it better, maybe.

Yeah I emailed after seeing it sold. Another one cropped up, not as many cool decals but potentially low miles and a ‘4’ from USS. Getting inspected and waiting on results. Phone posting so :effort: on screen shots but lot 854. 1994 model year but showing December 1993 build date.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Yeah I emailed after seeing it sold. Another one cropped up, not as many cool decals but potentially low miles and a ‘4’ from USS. Getting inspected and waiting on results. Phone posting so :effort: on screen shots but lot 854. 1994 model year but showing December 1993 build date.

Yeah that one looks really nice. It's a Wild Wind, looks the same as our purple one, but you have the original bumper and the tire cover that isn't all hosed up. Benefit of it is it should have power steering, not a terribly huge deal to go without it but its nice to have it. I just assume all Wild Winds have it since these are upmarket Jimnys.

INCOMING FLEX PRADO POST

This I can see: It's truly in fantastic shape. Based on the paint I'm guessing it was garage kept, based on the plastic corners on the bumpers it was driven carefully, based on the interior it was driven cleanly and based on the odometer it wasn't driven much at all. I'm OK with the aftermarket wheels as getting an original set won't be too hard. I have to agree with the suggestion that it's ULTRASUEDE since it's on the door panels too.
and here is the one flaw:

lol

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 30, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

everdave posted:

We had a snow day without snow today. Had multiple missed calls. They wanted Majesta (remember verified 4K miles).took it out blasting it and sold sold sold adter 5 mins. They got plans maybe YouTube stuff out of my hands now

Are you having a stroke?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everdave has always had a very special posting style.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Rhyno posted:

Everdave has always had a very special posting style.

Add “stop” at the end of each sentence and it makes sense. He’s telegraph posting.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

He's also just sold two cars if I read that right, so he could be in the depths of a coke and ether binge.

Kaker how could you want to sell that bongo it's awesome.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

everdave posted:

CQD. CQD. HIT. ICE. BERG. ARE. SINKING.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My iPhone 6 is just janky posting combine with a few beers well...

Very nice Prado, I’m about to go look but I swear I have 2 switches where you have one center console where coin trays are. Very glad had a close up pic of factory radio I want to put one in mine before I sell (Fujitsu in it not working). And mine does not have dual batteries jealous.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That Prado is insane :)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

cakesmith handyman posted:

He's also just sold two cars if I read that right, so he could be in the depths of a coke and ether binge.

Kaker how could you want to sell that bongo it's awesome.

Because it's more useful to someone else. It is awesome but I'd rather have one done up in dealership digs but I am not going to bust up this one in order to make that happen. Plus like I had said before, it really is too much truck most of the time. It's primary purpose is doing exactly what I use it for, moving a set of tires and wheels to get them mounted then coming back home. A kei truck could do this just as easily but the benefit of being more customized for ~Limerence~ and also being smaller so as to be able to be shove in a corner and out of the way.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Plus the more vehicles you sell the more you can buy! Japan’s not running out of cool stuff.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

That Prado is so awesome. I saw the photos you posted on instagram last night but seeing the bigger/more inclusive pictures is :aaa:. After I get this importing thing under my belt maybe I will have to try my hand at getting something like that.

Just waiting on the inspection for the Jimny that will be going up tonight. Hoping for a good inspection to come back. If not more waiting.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

KakerMix posted:

Because it's more useful to someone else. It is awesome but I'd rather have one done up in dealership digs but I am not going to bust up this one in order to make that happen. Plus like I had said before, it really is too much truck most of the time. It's primary purpose is doing exactly what I use it for, moving a set of tires and wheels to get them mounted then coming back home. A kei truck could do this just as easily but the benefit of being more customized for ~Limerence~ and also being smaller so as to be able to be shove in a corner and out of the way.

It sounds like the hunt for a Midget II just began.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Kaker first pm me your Instagram, second and LoG too where do I go with Prado? Do I replace radio and tires and wipers and all that or do I just throw it up for sale? It has a LOT of interest around town. Sometimes I spend too much time and money on things that don’t show a good return on investment.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Just waiting on the inspection for the Jimny that will be going up tonight. Hoping for a good inspection to come back. If not more waiting.

Okay so inspection came in. Talked to Yoshi on the phone and even though there are a few things that needed addressing (ac pump not working, valve needing adjustment, clutch being a little off) I decided it was worth putting in a bid like the kind where if I won, cool if not no big deal. Went ahead and said 275000 yen, with the thought of if I loved it I would say 300k+. The inspection report:

quote:

-854- engine starts idles and revs fine, slight white smoke when cold but gone when warm, slight valve train noise, timing belt sticker 2005 24,3XX km, no sludge, coolant level and color ok, turbine area slightly oily, tires have 60% no cracks, spare locked, no leaks mold or rust in cargo area, undercarriage slight surface rust only, fender areas good, paint faded on upward facing panels, chips in windshield small, drivers seat 3cm tear, other seats ok, dashboard slightly faded but ok, ceiling liner loose, shift lever area carpet burns, ac not working, clutch has slight play but grabs ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, lights ok, wipers ok, power steering ok

Just got word from Yoshi. It sold for 615000 yen. Someone paid waaay too much for a friggin Jimny.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

It sounds like the hunt for a Midget II just began.

Not for another 2~ years, 1996 was the first Midget IIs came out, right now we're just in the beginning of 1994 :eng101:

everdave posted:

Kaker first pm me your Instagram, second and LoG too where do I go with Prado? Do I replace radio and tires and wipers and all that or do I just throw it up for sale? It has a LOT of interest around town. Sometimes I spend too much time and money on things that don't show a good return on investment.

In the OP yo. As for the Prado, does it need tires? Does it need wipers? As a rule when I get a car the first thing is the oil, always the oil. Sometimes the car will tell me what else it needs (new belts like in our Prado, alt belt slipping so bad that it couldn't keep the battery charged lmao), sometimes I'll go looking for things. Tires are easy and lots of these older SUVs just look really good with white letter knobby tires on them, the tires are a mix of aesthetics for the sale, driveability and piece of mind for the new owner. Wipers are piss-easy and you'll know if it needs them. Stuff with automatics I'd check the fluid since changing that is quite easy as well.
Essentially I go "What do I need to do to this car to make me comfortable with daily driving it?" and I do that. Seems like I have higher standards than most people so it works out well for us.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Okay so inspection came in. Talked to Yoshi on the phone and even though there are a few things that needed addressing (ac pump not working, valve needing adjustment, clutch being a little off) I decided it was worth putting in a bid like the kind where if I won, cool if not no big deal. Went ahead and said 275000 yen, with the thought of if I loved it I would say 300k+. The inspection report:

Just got word from Yoshi. It sold for 615000 yen. Someone paid waaay too much for a friggin Jimny.

Which one was it?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Not for another 2~ years, 1996 was the first Midget IIs came out, right now we're just in the beginning of 1994 :eng101:

In the OP yo. As for the Prado, does it need tires? Does it need wipers? As a rule when I get a car the first thing is the oil, always the oil. Sometimes the car will tell me what else it needs (new belts like in our Prado, alt belt slipping so bad that it couldn't keep the battery charged lmao), sometimes I'll go looking for things. Tires are easy and lots of these older SUVs just look really good with white letter knobby tires on them, the tires are a mix of aesthetics for the sale, driveability and piece of mind for the new owner. Wipers are piss-easy and you'll know if it needs them. Stuff with automatics I'd check the fluid since changing that is quite easy as well.
Essentially I go "What do I need to do to this car to make me comfortable with daily driving it?" and I do that. Seems like I have higher standards than most people so it works out well for us.

Which one was it?

It was the 1994 wild wind with the 4 grade. Lot 854.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

KakerMix posted:

Ah, bummer. I hope you've got that on your short list for when the time rolls around though. Those things are hilarious and I think one would be a great 'shop truck' for you if you can get it cheap enough.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

It was the 1994 wild wind with the 4 grade. Lot 854.

It's a grade 4 with 39,000 kms on it is why. Anything with a 4 is going to command interest, double so if it has low mileage. Also it's USS which means even more attention since USS is the largest auction house, and if I had to guess I'd assume Tokyo is the largest of those. It's a 4x4 in winter in Japan, and it seems like those prices are currently inflated vs. say, a convertible sports car, but I could just be imagining. The clutch is a cable, not hydraulic, so some nut twistin' and that should be all set.

Keep in mind that the third party inspection thing, at least to people buying from outside Japan, seems to be fairly uncommon. Pacific Coast Auto, the guy on youtube that does videos on cars he exports out of Japan, does not provide a third party inspection option, so what the sheet says is what they have to go on. Seems super dangerous but that's how they do their business :shrug:

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

everdave posted:

Kaker first pm me your Instagram, second and LoG too where do I go with Prado? Do I replace radio and tires and wipers and all that or do I just throw it up for sale? It has a LOT of interest around town. Sometimes I spend too much time and money on things that don’t show a good return on investment.

I did the bare minimum, fluid change was it (oil, trans, coolant). My sample size is smaller than kakers but people didn't really pay more for new tires and that stuff. Fluids and anything that has to be fixed to get it to run was it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

KakerMix posted:

It's a grade 4 with 39,000 kms on it is why. Anything with a 4 is going to command interest, double so if it has low mileage. Also it's USS which means even more attention since USS is the largest auction house, and if I had to guess I'd assume Tokyo is the largest of those. It's a 4x4 in winter in Japan, and it seems like those prices are currently inflated vs. say, a convertible sports car, but I could just be imagining. The clutch is a cable, not hydraulic, so some nut twistin' and that should be all set.

Keep in mind that the third party inspection thing, at least to people buying from outside Japan, seems to be fairly uncommon. Pacific Coast Auto, the guy on youtube that does videos on cars he exports out of Japan, does not provide a third party inspection option, so what the sheet says is what they have to go on. Seems super dangerous but that's how they do their business :shrug:

Yeah I knew it was in the USS house, and Yoshi did tell me that it was the Tokyo one which was like the biggest. It has been the only "4" that I have seen pop up in quite a while so I assumed there would be some interest and I didn't entirely expect to win, but if I did I would have been happy. This is all still very new to me and I have read through the thread (namely your posts) a few times over. I have figured out the JCD site and watched certain cars and tried to get a gauge for how it all goes down.

Other notes from the inspection, that car did have the timing belt changed at 24000kms BUT it was 15 years ago so it would have to be done again. If I was spending 615000 yen on a Jimny that wasn't near mint I would just as soon spend ~200000 more on a Prado or something. I am obviously green at this whole thing but I want to do it, I just want to do it right. The ~$30 on the inspection fee is worth it to get a good car at a good price for sure.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I did the bare minimum, fluid change was it (oil, trans, coolant). My sample size is smaller than kakers but people didn't really pay more for new tires and that stuff. Fluids and anything that has to be fixed to get it to run was it.

Right and it depends on what you're going for. I'm taking a long-term sort of approach in being more of a boutique type dealer that sells cars to people that love them, building up a brand and all that. I am selling emotion and character, because a 1990 Pajero is an objectively worse car than all others that cost the same. But it looks loving rad:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Yeah I knew it was in the USS house, and Yoshi did tell me that it was the Tokyo one which was like the biggest. It has been the only "4" that I have seen pop up in quite a while so I assumed there would be some interest and I didn't entirely expect to win, but if I did I would have been happy. This is all still very new to me and I have read through the thread (namely your posts) a few times over. I have figured out the JCD site and watched certain cars and tried to get a gauge for how it all goes down.

Other notes from the inspection, that car did have the timing belt changed at 24000kms BUT it was 15 years ago so it would have to be done again. If I was spending 615000 yen on a Jimny that wasn't near mint I would just as soon spend ~200000 more on a Prado or something. I am obviously green at this whole thing but I want to do it, I just want to do it right. The ~$30 on the inspection fee is worth it to get a good car at a good price for sure.

A Jimny and a Prado are different cars though, in that a Jimny is this super eager puppy like feel that just wants to go go go go boost more boost wooooooooooOOOOOOSHHH. The Prado is more like a serious bodyguard or something, the character of them is way different. The size difference does make a huge difference in them too, Prado is small these days but a Jimny is tiny.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Bonus:

lol this loving thing, I love it so much.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KakerMix posted:

I would not, no. Depends on the Jimny (JA11s only) and how long on the highway and where.
Drive this instead:

Have you checked with the guys over there at all to see what something like this would cost to ship? I'm not sure if things are charged by the square foot, by weight or some combination. There's been a few pre-80's trucks and car haulers that have rolled through I've really considered bidding on.

Also track rat M3 - https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-0ouWFOQlgNPcIRS.htm Way too high a starting bid though

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Have you checked with the guys over there at all to see what something like this would cost to ship? I'm not sure if things are charged by the square foot, by weight or some combination. There's been a few pre-80's trucks and car haulers that have rolled through I've really considered bidding on.

Also track rat M3 - https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-0ouWFOQlgNPcIRS.htm Way too high a starting bid though

It would be a fortune, they have actively talked me out of bidding on Toyota camper conversions because of transport costs, and this is on a whole other planet.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Love it

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

KakerMix posted:

Bonus:

List that thing on Denver Craigslist with "highest offer by the end of the week takes it" and transcibe the emails you get.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Perfect size to replace with a Transformers badge.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

My boss got pics of his Cruiser at the port. Gonna be forever before he gets it. Looks awesome, 157000kms

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Ethics_Gradient posted:

List that thing on Denver Craigslist with "highest offer by the end of the week takes it" and transcibe the emails you get.

What did he mean by this?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I can ask Yoshi for a super rough estimate, but how they charge is based on volume. An AZ-1 and a typical kei van have the same footprint but the AZ-1 will be significantly cheaper to transport.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My boss got pics of his Cruiser at the port. Gonna be forever before he gets it. Looks awesome, 157000kms

Nice, I think I recognize that one. KAA house? Or did he get it from a dealer?

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
holy christ, dude's got a desk for a bumper. I need it. :getin:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BloodBag posted:

What did he mean by this?

I think the implication is that folks in Denver would love that trucklet and fall over themselves to buy it.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Darchangel posted:

I think the implication is that folks in Denver would love that trucklet and fall over themselves to buy it.

Yeah, Coloradans love their Subaru's and that is a very cool and unique one.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

people are obsessed with subarus in the PNW and the price inflation is insane. I was dating a girl in Portland who found an early 2000s Outback for $5k and that was considered a great deal.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

SlimManFat posted:

To make room for the winch tacked on the front even though it's mechanically driven. Sure is stylish though.

We'll see about the Domingo and it's hopeful sales success!

Got our Acty Street and convertible Jimny in.
The Acty arrived with a high idle when cold that settles down when warmed up and a right sliding door that doesn't close. Both of these I knew before hand so is no big deal. Took the door off, removed the latch mechanism that's being a jerk, loaded it up and drove it to the warehouse with its door off. I had to take it off as the door wouldn't shut so I'd lave a loose door slamming back and forth. For the idle it looks like the same problem I had with my other Acty van just the other solenoid.

Pictured: A shameful Acty

Convertible JA11 Jimnys are loving rad as gently caress, goddamn. It's a little wooshy and windy badass. This one has been well loved and maintained mechanically. The interior though, yeesh. It needs a completely new driver's seat, all new interior panels, stuff like that.

Also today the Bongo got a bit excited:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I have found what happened to the Jimny that was pulled from the auction, then went back to the auction and I missed with those sweet teal graphics and roof rack. It ended up here: https://auc.japancardirect.com/on-K9R8hjpXRmoUe.htm

For reference the completed listing: https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-3jXczMmXnbuwP.htm

Sold for 183000 and listed now for 280000. I am wondering if I make a play for it. :thunk:

KakerMix posted:

Nice, I think I recognize that one. KAA house? Or did he get it from a dealer?

yeah it had failed at auction a few times by not meeting reserve. It was also on the south island so it took more $ to get it to port. My boss was like "Still a cheap buy" as he is a LC guy. The front winch bumper was not his first choice. He will evaluate when it gets here what he wants done.

SlimManFat posted:

It has a massive underbite lmao

Riller
Jun 16, 2008
Since I got the Pajero on the road, I've had quite a few people ask about it and where I got it. I've owned a lot of cool classic muscle cars, but this thing is even more fun to drive. The turbo diesel just pulls like there's no tomorrow. While I was out running errands today a guy started yelling from 2 lanes over asking what make it was. Then he asks where I work because he wants to find me and buy it. I don't even have the title yet and this thing is selling itself! Any of you guys on the fence about a Jimny because you want to do 50+ just get a short wheelbase Pajero. It's only slightly bigger but feels like a "real" vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Riller posted:

Since I got the Pajero on the road, I've had quite a few people ask about it and where I got it. I've owned a lot of cool classic muscle cars, but this thing is even more fun to drive. The turbo diesel just pulls like there's no tomorrow. While I was out running errands today a guy started yelling from 2 lanes over asking what make it was. Then he asks where I work because he wants to find me and buy it. I don't even have the title yet and this thing is selling itself! Any of you guys on the fence about a Jimny because you want to do 50+ just get a short wheelbase Pajero. It's only slightly bigger but feels like a "real" vehicle.

I have been watching for one but nothing good has come up!