Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1091358137423138816

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

"special guest"

Don't you feel special fans? The guy whose salary you're paying has taken upon himself to grace you with his presence!

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Now that there are commercial investors and shares, will those be paid their desired returns from realised sales, that is, from backer bought ships?
Will this show up in the financial information CIG has started to share?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beexoffel posted:

Now that there are commercial investors and shares, will those be paid their desired returns from realised sales, that is, from backer bought ships?
Will this show up in the financial information CIG has started to share?

Very difficult to tell, because in this most open game development and transparent crowdfunded project, the movement of the money and agreement of the involved parties is hidden carefully. The new investors might be minority shareholders on paper, but they have controlling interest politically. Their money is keeping the project afloat. The majority shareholders values are predicated on "value" that can't be proven. I'd argue that the majority shareholders share values are close to zero since all they "own" is a worthless IP, broken code, and the moron who's the reason. Thankfully they've made sure they don't owe the backers anything, so although they've already stolen that money, it's spent and gone and nobody is accountable. Share value for them is whatever they can sell their infrastructure and furniture for.

The new shareholders are just watching their $40 whatever million it is. If the "value" of this near-worthless company dips enough to scare them, they can pull the plug and walk. That said, they seemed to believe Chris "Sweating Bear" Roberts as he stumbled and stammered through his presentation, so they're not overly bright. Then again, they might have just appeared to swallow CIG's "valuation" of the company at the ridiculously inflated rate they claimed so they'd appear to be buying a much smaller percentage than they were, share-wise, while actually buying what amounts to full financial leverage. This may have been an intentional gambit for inscrutable reasons. Or they could have swallowed the fraud. Or everyone is dumb all around.

To answer your question, I think they're gonna wait until 2020 (the sudden "hard date" people were given once this bailout was public) and then make a move.

Quote the poo poo outta this in 1.5 years if you want.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Todd Parpy

Jared looks hollow.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

AlbieQuirky posted:

Jared looks hollow.

Like death.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

We prefer the term STEMiflas.

Collectively known as the STEMpire.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

What it means to be a citizen:

Get mad if someone questions Roberts
Get mad if other games succeed while you are waiting for SC
Attack other games claiming they are frauds or cash grabs
Get mad if someone is more successful at streaming the game, because they weren't there from the beginning
Get mad at noobs because they ask noob questions
Get mad at people wanting PVP and ability to destroy your totally not pay to win ships
Get mad at SJW's for having the audacity to ask for female avatars
Get mad at people wanting playstyles that don't exactly match up with yours
Get mad at CI not G for a few minutes and then immediately forgive after a lovely letter by Roberts and immediately attacking anyone who still thinks charging for viewing a con of a unreleased game was a lovely idea.
Get mad at other game communities when being laughed at for obvious theft of ship designs
Get mad when confronted by facts and actual documented proof, then claiming they are trolls and DS alts.
etc.

They are just angry, angry people even before this stupid game was conceived by a conman.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

colonelwest posted:

https://youtu.be/Bm8LKcEJQPw?t=694

Their ATV's get more and more pathetic every week. Here some poor junior dev struggles to explain what gameplay will come out of ArcCorp other than another screenshot generator for the droolling idiots on Reddit.

30 seconds latter...

They're literally just dumping another giant lifeless art asset into this mess. You could put 100 Hurstons and ArcCorps into Star Citizen and there still wouldn't be a game or anything remotely fun or engaging to do, other than to cruise the verse in your chariot and post screenshots to Reddit with captions of whatever amazing gameplay you're imagining in your head, which your JPEG spending addiction will enable in some far off future.

Edit: Citizen meltsdown as they realize that the the promise of these planets being dynamic living worlds with millions of intelligent NPC's and hundreds of hours of amazing gameplay was a total lie.

Bio-nukes = ID 10 T

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
anyone with play wanna do me a favor and find me the overwatch thread if one exists? I tried manually searching but gave up around pg 11

I wanna hit Masters this season, and with the current meta, it seems like you need a 3 stack+ to have any chance.

\/\/\/ jfc im a dummy, thanks buddy\/\/

Morphix fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 1, 2019

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Morphix posted:

anyone with play wanna do me a favor and find me the overwatch thread if one exists? I tried manually searching but gave up around pg 11

I wanna hit Masters this season, and with the current meta, it seems like you need a 3 stack+ to have any chance.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=259

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

There is likely to be some pretty biblical wailing and gnashing of teeth when the Carrack comes out, I'm glad they finally decided to build it. I came so close to giving them three hundred and fifty American dollars for one of those stupid loving things

It is the one ship that everyone in their fan base has been clamoring for, for like 3 years straight. But it's based entirely on exploration, a concept that does not exist in Star Citizen. I predict the following when it is released, based on past released ships that were huge and expensive and popular but couldn't do the one thing they were sold to do:

• On release there will be sixteen million screenshots and videos of this thing. It will seem like everyone and their brother owns one all of a sudden, even though they cost 350 loving dollars
  • A closer inspection will reveal that actually they just gave one to all their subscribers for the month, knowing that people who pay them 15/mo for literally nothing would happily shill the latest thing
  • A couple of people will ask "Lol so where is the uh, exploration this thing is supposed to do?" Shills will point at the calendar where EXPLORATION will be listed with no defining features as a major part of the very next patch!
  • Further criticism will be downvoted and silenced
  • Exploration will be dropped from the very next patch
  • Once the month is over, this ship will completely loving disappear and the only times you'll ever see it again are when streamers who definitely do not have some kind of all-ships account deal with CIG spawn one for set piece battles

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Also, to inject some CIG-related content to our ongoing 3 month derail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHahAIcqf8s

New procedural city planet stuff! It doesn't look like boring grey garbage that you can't land on at all!

We added a new particle effect to the engines! That's... that's progress, right?

Space yacht! SPACE YACHT (Why is every luxury ship so minimalist and ugly)

Also 350 dollar exploration ship whatever have a preview, gfl actually getting this sucker released in the next year

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 1, 2019

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:tif:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Thanks for those subscription fees you dumb fuckers!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

open development

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Daztek posted:

open development

Maybe they meant open to interpretation.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
I only caught a minute of Reverse the Verse, but dang, some pretty testy folks in chat. Including world famous influencer “Lethality”. They’re not taking kindly to news that “Calling All Devs” is being dropped.

quote:

Zylow: Don’t worry y’all, we want to find a way to continue the content in a different form.

Lethality: it’s just insulting at this point how they treat backers and subscribers. Just keep taking things away, lying about bringing new things in. There’s phoning things in, and then there’s whatever this is.

Don’t worry, Lethality — the transition from parody of openness to portrait of closed is necessary and right. It just looks like a betrayal because you don’t understand game development.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

G0RF posted:

I only caught a minute of Reverse the Verse, but dang, some pretty testy folks in chat. Including world famous influencer “Lethality”. They’re not taking kindly to news that “Calling All Devs” is being dropped.

Don’t worry, Lethality — the transition from parody of openness to portrait of closed is necessary and right. It just looks like a betrayal because you don’t understand game development.

Spicy Gorf is best Gorf.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

As usual I listened to a few snippets, but boy howdy the one take away is how unsure everyone seems on what exactly it is their making. They're still in the 'figuring it' out phase.

Which just, I mean I'm not the best project manager but from my experience, you generally do the measuring twice and cutting once. Not the other way around.

Also Gorf, where in that video do they drop the announcement about the canceled show? I tried flicking through it but gave up when it sounded like the same thing with slight variation was being said over and over.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Morphix posted:

As usual I listened to a few snippets, but boy howdy the one take away is how unsure everyone seems on what exactly it is their making. They're still in the 'figuring it' out phase.

Which just, I mean I'm not the best project manager but from my experience, you generally do the measuring twice and cutting once. Not the other way around.

Also Gorf, where in that video do they drop the announcement about the canceled show? I tried flicking through it but gave up when it sounded like the same thing with slight variation was being said over and over.

I only caught the end of it live. I’m listening to it now from the start because they’ve surely had their big planning session for the year and the early shows point towards the takeaways. But so far it’s talk of No Fly Zones over ArcCorp, what buildings you can land on and what meaningful combat events could eventually take place inside those buildings that are tall enough.

I’ll post the CAD moment in when I hear it if somebody hasn’t by then.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Culling All Dreams

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

G0RF posted:

They're just reducing their attack surface area by reducing the number of ways CIG employees can sign up for more feature bloat.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sarsapariller posted:

Also, to inject some CIG-related content to our ongoing 3 month derail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHahAIcqf8s

New procedural city planet stuff! It doesn't look like boring grey garbage that you can't land on at all!

We added a new particle effect to the engines! That's... that's progress, right?

Space yacht! SPACE YACHT (Why is every luxury ship so minimalist and ugly)

Also 350 dollar exploration ship whatever have a preview, gfl actually getting this sucker released in the next year

I sure loving hope the sent Vangelis a check.

You can absolutely predict the look/feel changes in this game based on the popular scifi movie(s) of the previous 12 months. So loving bankrupt.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Morphix posted:

Here ya go.

SoftNum posted:

They're just reducing their attack surface area by reducing the number of ways CIG employees can sign up for more feature bloat.

Maybe - although the bloat filters from the top most of the time!

Halfway through this calling all devs and it’s clear there’s so much more bloat baked in than is on the Roadmap. Discussions of cave systems (“tech is currently in development”), what specific homes or properties of the Hurstons might get built out for player visitation, non-lethal weaponry so that guys like GamerMax can get their torture on...

Unsurprisingly they aren’t really resourced to flesh out Stanton proper right now. Papy is pretty upfront that Squadron is in the driver’s seat and tech that doesn’t benefit it isn’t high priority.

The Roadmap update today is only for Squadron. It sounds like 3.6 and 3.7 might get added to the PU Roadmap next week. I’d be amazed if we don’t see the return of yet more bloat in the form of expanded land claim mechanics. Even if the PU is in the backseat, structure sales surely aren’t. Chris wants that sweet sweet space mansion money and the subscriptions-in-all-but-name of Hab rentals. And that crap can’t wait until Squadron ships.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

You know, there's more immersion, drama, and story in a 4 minute Peter Schilling song from the 80s than this dumb game will ever have.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Speaking of Vangelis, I recently watched Blade Runner for the first time (the final cut).

What a dreadfully dull movie that is. Aesthetically, it's wonderful looking so props for that. I'm not sure if it was considered good in its time but it sure hasn't aged well. It has an aroma of the 80s that can't be shook, and not in a good way.
It has some good moments but they're incredibly sparse and the overall plot is just bad.

I'd give it 3/10.

I sure hope the sequel was better.

A quick perusal of internet discussion confirms my suspicions that a good number of people that like it are the same kind of people that would sincerely post that Rick and Morty copypasta.

Fidelitious fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 1, 2019

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

wtf?

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Fidelitious posted:

Speaking of Vangelis, I recently watched Blade Runner for the first time (the final cut).

What a dreadfully dull movie that is. Aesthetically, it's wonderful looking so props for that. I'm not sure if it was considered good in its time but it sure hasn't aged well. It has an aroma of the 80s that can't be shook, and not in a good way.
It has some good moments but they're incredibly sparse and the overall plot is just bad.

I'd give it 3/10.

I sure hope the sequel was better.

A quick perusal of internet discussion confirms my suspicions that a good number of people that like it are the same kind of people that would sincerely post that Rick and Morty copypasta.

the sequel is pretty much the same

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I'll be back to drop my hot takes on that after I watch it.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I liked the more recent Blade Runner

I have never seen the original though so I have nothing to compare it to

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I still think the sequel was totally unecessary, but I can understand why people are fond of the original (I am one of those).

It is a deeply flawed movie, with terrible pacing especially in the middle, awesome art direction though, a slightly butchered plot in the non-directors-cut (the loving big story twist got cut because the producers wanted a happy end), but it has a couple of scenes that are so incredibly strong that I really like seeing it. The ending has such a strange overall mood that it is pretty unique.

I can understand that most of this is heavily nostalgia-fueled, and seeing it the first time nowadays might be really bad.

To me, it's like Fincher's Dune (and in some part Apocalpyse Now): very, VERY strange pacing (where you sometimes feel like they forgot 15 minutes of movie between two scenes), but with a unique (and to some) very impressive mood.

Citcon
Aug 31, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Remember when the community bitched about ATVs being reduced to 5-15 minutes from 40-60 minutes? CIG said they would have longer in depth videos from time to time to make up. They literally never happened and never felt the need to address that.

They kinda hold the community in contempt. I mean how could you not? You can't actually respect people you are scamming no matter how hard you try.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

"Every planet is handmade" - every? What every? There is one planet and a few moons.

funny thing is that our real earth (the big blue fukker) is not even handmade, but you could almost say “procedurally generated“. as is the rest of the universe.

edit: ...as was every map in sim city!!

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 1, 2019

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

no fucks given?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

tuo posted:

I still think the sequel was totally unecessary, but I can understand why people are fond of the original (I am one of those).

It is a deeply flawed movie, with terrible pacing especially in the middle, awesome art direction though, a slightly butchered plot in the non-directors-cut (the loving big story twist got cut because the producers wanted a happy end), but it has a couple of scenes that are so incredibly strong that I really like seeing it. The ending has such a strange overall mood that it is pretty unique.

I can understand that most of this is heavily nostalgia-fueled, and seeing it the first time nowadays might be really bad.

To me, it's like Fincher's Dune (and in some part Apocalpyse Now): very, VERY strange pacing (where you sometimes feel like they forgot 15 minutes of movie between two scenes), but with a unique (and to some) very impressive mood.

I saw it in theaters, and while I enjoyed it over all, the thing I disliked about it was the intermittent, deafening BWOMP noise that would play out during camera pans over the city. Like, ffs mate, I like what little hearing I have left.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I'm basically going to like any Sci-Fi movie where the script doesn't make me want to die. Here is a list.

I did not want to die
Moon
Dark City
The Matrix (only the first one)
The Thing
Akira
12 Monkeys
Children Of Men
Alien
Brazil

I only sort of wanted to die
Metropolis (2002)
District 9
Ghost In The Shell
Starship Troopers
The Girl With All The Gifts
Arrival

I absolutely wanted to die
2001 A Space Odyssey
The Martian
Ready Player One
Sunshine
Inception
Pacific Rim
Minority Report
Gravity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Star Citizen getting a black hole will be a pretty clear indicator that Crobberts just watched Interstellar.