Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sombrerotron posted:

There will never be another X-Wing/TIE Fighter.

please enjoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

:vince:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Do I really have to explain how and why you're entirely missing the point?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sombrerotron posted:

Do I really have to explain how and why you're entirely missing the point?

it is simply a helpful link to a game that fans of TIE Fighter might enjoy, friend

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Sombrerotron posted:

There will never be another X-Wing/TIE Fighter.

This was better, tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRBfWvn5zAo

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

No, this was better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXblLIvrYGs&t=1255s

:unsmigghh:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 24, 2019

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

While I don't see anything coming from this, I wish them luck anyway.

https://massivelyop.com/2019/01/22/star-wars-the-old-republic-fan-petition-asks-for-more-funding-for-the-game-to-give-it-new-life/

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Yeah I was arguing with the guy who posted this on Reddit. No one is going to sign that petition that isn't a current or former player of the game, and for EA to really notice they'd need a billion more signatures than they're ever going to see.

Ultimately it's an almost 10 year old game, they're going to provide content updates until it is no longer profitable but they're definitely not going to get infused with a ton of cash

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

Yeah I was arguing with the guy who posted this on Reddit. No one is going to sign that petition that isn't a current or former player of the game, and for EA to really notice they'd need a billion more signatures than they're ever going to see.

Ultimately it's an almost 10 year old game, they're going to provide content updates until it is no longer profitable but they're definitely not going to get infused with a ton of cash

I'm iffy about online petitions in the first place. Smacks too much of 'I clicked a button, I'm Helping!', but then I'm probably more burnt out than most with how many 'sign this online petition' links I get on my Facebook which end up accomplishing nothing. Not only are they going to need more signatures than just people who played/play the game, they've got to do something more to bring attention like letter writing even if that's considered old fashioned or inefficient. They're going up against a company that didn't take advantage of advertising when the new movies were coming out which should've been a no-brainer.

I do wish them well, but I don't really see anything coming of it beyond 'I clicked a button!' feelgood.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm iffy about online petitions in the first place. Smacks too much of 'I clicked a button, I'm Helping!', but then I'm probably more burnt out than most with how many 'sign this online petition' links I get on my Facebook which end up accomplishing nothing. Not only are they going to need more signatures than just people who played/play the game, they've got to do something more to bring attention like letter writing even if that's considered old fashioned or inefficient. They're going up against a company that didn't take advantage of advertising when the new movies were coming out which should've been a no-brainer.

I do wish them well, but I don't really see anything coming of it beyond 'I clicked a button!' feelgood.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
it is a slow news day at massivelyop

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

They'd have better luck with setting up a Kickstarter, with the goal of buying the license out from under EA.

Would accomplish the same thing (nothing), but one is realistic, while the other is pissing in the ocean.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Cease to Hope posted:

it is simply a helpful link to a game that fans of TIE Fighter might enjoy, friend
Shame and a pox on the faithless and hypocrites who seek comfort in the virtual scraps cast at them by false prophets.

For your heresies and blasphemies you shall burn forevermore in the deepest pits of the inferno.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Warmachine posted:

They'd have better luck with setting up a Kickstarter, with the goal of buying the license out from under EA.

Would accomplish the same thing (nothing), but one is realistic, while the other is pissing in the ocean.

BRB, setting up a GoFundMe.

That's the non-refundable one best utilized for complete scams, right?

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

HotBobaloo posted:

If I just wanted to plow through the story with minimal effort, what class should I boost to 65?

I’m currently leveling through original experiences as a subscriber, with some old 25% cartel market boosts (you’ll get plenty of complimentary ones too), and I can tell you firsthand that you will absolutely fly through the story.

I started with my 32 Inquisitor and finished the story at 55 doing story+planet quest lines, and now I started a Merc BH from scratch and I’ve been doing the story+planet stories with the 25% boosters, and I’m sitting exactly where I need to be for levels going into the Alderaan/Tatooine stretch. I figure I’ll do Alderaan’s planet and my class story, and only need to do Tatooine for class story.

Also keep in mind, you can get an absurd amount of XP from quick companion conversation quests. Oh, and a couple “intro” quests when you get to Fleet (like, “do a war zone.”)

If at any point you feel behind on XP, just go to the last planet you finished and burn out all the heroic quests. It’s like a full level or more, and you can honestly solo almost everything... or partner with someone and burn through them. Hell, they give you a shuttle to the questgiver to make it quick.

Also, if you have credits or cartel from another character get anything that drops the cool down on Quick Travel and pick up Priorty Transport Personal Starship and bam, you can just teleport everywhere mostly.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
DrunkenTrashCan, can you recommend a good PvP guild? Are you on Star Forge or the other one?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I think I hit the longest it's taken for a ticket/bug report to get resolved. Around a year or two back I bought the meditation chamber regen item from the Cartel Market and bugged out with binding to the character when used but not unlocking to collections. Filed a ticket where I got the usual of they knew it was a bug going around and while they'd forward things to the tech guys, for me to file a bug report. Never heard anything back from it, kept checking to see if the item got fixed. Quit the game for a while and coming back, I checked the item and it was still bugged. Today I checked and it unlocked fine. I'm just happy to get the thing unlocked to my account at this point.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Send a mail to EA about it, including whatever logs you may have.
Best case scenario, they'll refund you for the bother. It was over 2 loving years for a fix for something you paid for, after all.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
They don't reply to bug reports, unfortunately. Open another ticket.

Assuming you still have the item and it's actually the cartel version and not one from a reputation vendor or cantina pack.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

They don't reply to bug reports, unfortunately. Open another ticket.

Assuming you still have the item and it's actually the cartel version and not one from a reputation vendor or cantina pack.

It's from the Cartel Market. At the time when I saw it was bugged, I was annoyed since I spent coins on the drat thing. Checked the forums and a lot of other people were having the same issue with the item. Pretty much with the ticket I filed way back I was asking if they could at least unlock it to my collections since it was at least reflecting bound when I used it and I know coin refunds are out of the question. I never deleted it since I spent coins on the drat thing so I left it sit in my inventory gathering dust with checking every other login if they got it fixed. Granted it did make me hesitant about buying things off the Market in case something else got bugged. When I resubbed last month, I gave it a try and nothing, been trying it off and on until it finally unlocked to collections proper today so I could account unlock it.

Yeah, it took them way long to get it resolved, and for all I know when they fixed one thing, somehow it fixed my issue considering how spaghettied the code is, but I'm content that it's finally fixed more than looking for some recompense for how long it took.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Chickenwalker posted:

DrunkenTrashCan, can you recommend a good PvP guild? Are you on Star Forge or the other one?

I have a few characters on Star Forge I play casually but think Satele has better quality regs. Star Forge definitely has more people though.

There aren't a lot of pure PvP guilds left...most PvP'ers these days just know each other and use friend lists. My advice would be just pay attention to who's queuing when you do and if you find players you like try to make friends. On Star Forge I build premades by inviting people who seem decent as I queue, nobody likes losing and if your good people would much rather team with you than be against you.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Im broke as gently caress, with nothing to do all day. Is the F2P level cap 50? am i missing a ton of potential content? Didnt see it in the op, but i might have missed it with my 3am readin of it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
you have to subscribe for a month to go past 50, yeah. the expansions are:

rise of the hutt cartel: the hutts are exploiting a mining colony world, makeb, for mysterious reasons. makeb and oricon are single-player/small-group-oriented content to explain WTF is going on with the early raid villains, the hutt cartel and the dread masters. it's mostly skippable except for the fact that makeb is also the origin story for a fairly entertaining supporting character in KOTFE.
shadow of revan: the cult of revan is resurgent, and plans to play the republic and the empire off against each other so that they see their true enemy. this spans manaan, rishi, yavin iv, and ziost, and introduces most of the main characters for the next expansion. i hope you like lana and theron a whole lot.
knights of the fallen empire: this is basically SWTOR 2. after a five year gap, your character is now fighting the Eternal Empire, which has taken over almost the entire galaxy. you have to lead the remnants of the republic and sith empire against the knights of zakuul and 52952484216833852 boring terrible skytrooper trash mobs in a series of cut scenes that for once don't look like they came from a game that was rushed out the door in 2012. this is an entirely different episodic, story-driven direction that mostly dumps all of the hutts and rakata ruins and ancient alien cyborg stuff (as well as the class-specific storylines).
knights of the eternal throne: this is a continuation of the KOTFE storyline and playstyle, and is mostly the following content patches lumped together without any high concept.

also the horrible pvp starfighter mode and the pretty rad house customization stuff were touted as expansions but you already have access to those as a F2P player.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 1, 2019

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

And sometime next this year an Empire vs Republic expansion, which I dearly hope will be better than WoW's faction war expansion. Which continues to be poo poo.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

winterwerefox posted:

Im broke as gently caress, with nothing to do all day.

This may sound crazy, but have you considered getting a job? That's where they give you stuff to do in exchange for money.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

please don't, swtor is enough of a job as is

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Chickenwalker posted:

This may sound crazy, but have you considered getting a job? That's where they give you stuff to do in exchange for money.

He may have a reason he is currently unemployed mate.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Chickenwalker posted:

I got a degree (Diesel Technology) that requires being physical, master mechanic's certifications, and my body wont let me. Back, leg and arm problems. Jobs that don't require me being physical dont care about my degree or certifications.

gently caress off.

So the one month sub sets the account as a preferred player? are all the expansions unlocked from that point forward, or no? If i like the game, doing that might be worth it once i start bumping the level cap.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 31, 2019

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

winterwerefox posted:

I got a degree (Diesel Technology) that requires being physical, master mechanic's certifications, and my body wont let me. Back, leg and arm problems. Jobs that don't require me being physical dont care about my degree or certifications.

gently caress off.

Oh man. Are those permanent problems or are they, like, wounded?

(Also, yes, sub for a month, you get everything the game has so far and keep it when you run out but the endgame is only available as a Sub. If you want to get the most out of the game, sub for a month now, and another month once the next expac comes out)

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Lessee... Arms go numb if i hold them up too long over my head. like you do when on your back under a vehicle or its on a lift above you. Vibration of powered tools cause numbness in the hands. Need to use powered tools to do the job on time. i found that out working in a lumber mill around 2000. Leg got a big infection after stepping on a nail, needed surgery, the tendons healed weird. That was right after getting my degree. Walking isnt a big issue, my speed isnt impacted there, but i feel it. spent 12 years in retail walking about on concrete pumping gas in rural Oregon before saying gently caress this, i know vehicles, im getting a degree in it. My back has been hosed from childhood. Redneck dad bought me a quadbike when he got his retirement early from the shop he worked in folded in the late 80s. He set up a jump, the bike had no suspension, just a solid frame. I took the jump entirely into my spine. its fine for day to day use, but working it by bending into an engine bay or lifting a lot causes muscle lockups. Ive been trying to get a job after moving to a cot in my brothers storage room for 20 months now. Things like 'Can lift 50lbs regularly' rule my options out.

Not really the thread for airing my medical issues, but it is what it is.

answered my question about what a sub gets me well, thank you! Definitely a case of "If you enjoy it, toss 15$ at it to get more."

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

winterwerefox posted:

Sorry to hear about your ailments whatever they may be, and far be it from me to begrudge a guy a little bit of enjoyment, but ya know...probably about 50,000 other more constructive ways to spend your time when you're disabled and destitute than finding a F2P MMO to sink all your time into? Especially when you describe yourself as having "nothing to do all day." But hey, gently caress me right?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Chickenwalker posted:

Sorry to hear about your ailments whatever they may be, and far be it from me to begrudge a guy a little bit of enjoyment, but

gently caress off dude

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Well there’s not much else to say about SWTOR until the next expansion drops, why not make this the unsolicited life coaching thread too

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Chickenwalker posted:

Sorry to hear about your ailments whatever they may be, and far be it from me to begrudge a guy a little bit of enjoyment, but ya know...probably about 50,000 other more constructive ways to spend your time when you're disabled and destitute than finding a F2P MMO to sink all your time into? Especially when you describe yourself as having "nothing to do all day." But hey, gently caress me right?

You should walk away now.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Chickenwalker posted:

How does "shitpost disposal consultant" pay?

Asking for a friend.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So I reinstalled and when I try to Launch, it just kills the launcher screen and nothing happens. Have tried various things like deleting bitraider to force a repair and whatnot, as well as reboots. Nada.

:wtc:

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61

Fuzz posted:

So I reinstalled and when I try to Launch, it just kills the launcher screen and nothing happens. Have tried various things like deleting bitraider to force a repair and whatnot, as well as reboots. Nada.

:wtc:

This happened to me and I just wasn't interested in finishing kotet to fix it. Wew lad, swtor took a downfall.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Ended up fixing it, just had to do a clean install since the last one was on top of a partial install with saved stuff. Finally finishing KotFE and then KotET... apparently there's more new story stuff after, now?

Also I'm getting a weird issue where my forward running seems to stick and be really slow, like my guy is running in water, but if I jump or strafe slightly, it breaks it, and my auto run forward doesn't seem to be affected. Anyone ever have that? How do I get rid of it, it's really annoying.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Ended up fixing it, just had to do a clean install since the last one was on top of a partial install with saved stuff. Finally finishing KotFE and then KotET... apparently there's more new story stuff after, now?

Also I'm getting a weird issue where my forward running seems to stick and be really slow, like my guy is running in water, but if I jump or strafe slightly, it breaks it, and my auto run forward doesn't seem to be affected. Anyone ever have that? How do I get rid of it, it's really annoying.

Did you accidentally press your Toggle Run/Walk button? It should be "Numpad /" by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

winterwerefox posted:

Lessee... Arms go numb if i hold them up too long over my head. like you do when on your back under a vehicle or its on a lift above you. Vibration of powered tools cause numbness in the hands. Need to use powered tools to do the job on time. i found that out working in a lumber mill around 2000. Leg got a big infection after stepping on a nail, needed surgery, the tendons healed weird. That was right after getting my degree. Walking isnt a big issue, my speed isnt impacted there, but i feel it. spent 12 years in retail walking about on concrete pumping gas in rural Oregon before saying gently caress this, i know vehicles, im getting a degree in it. My back has been hosed from childhood. Redneck dad bought me a quadbike when he got his retirement early from the shop he worked in folded in the late 80s. He set up a jump, the bike had no suspension, just a solid frame. I took the jump entirely into my spine. its fine for day to day use, but working it by bending into an engine bay or lifting a lot causes muscle lockups. Ive been trying to get a job after moving to a cot in my brothers storage room for 20 months now. Things like 'Can lift 50lbs regularly' rule my options out.

Not really the thread for airing my medical issues, but it is what it is.

answered my question about what a sub gets me well, thank you! Definitely a case of "If you enjoy it, toss 15$ at it to get more."

Oh God, you have my sympathies.

I've managed to break my radial so I've got a big plate in my wrist, had kidney stones where I ended up septic in the hospital and still don't remember a week in September and lately got diagnosed with degenerative arthritis in my spine. Even working in a call center, they did ADA paperwork on me for when I'm having a 'pain so bad I don't know if I'm going to faint, puke, cry or all three' day. If it wasn't for posting on these sorry dead forums, streaming movies, LOTRO, Champions Online and SWTOR for something to do other than lie down and pray for Death, I just don't know.

I would suggest after you throw something for a month's sub and seeing how that works for you, you might want to look into some of the account unlocks to cover when you go back to premium.