Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

chitoryu12 posted:

During the American Revolution, there was a general by the name of Francis Marion. You may know him as "the Swamp Fox", inspiration for Mel Gibson's character in The Patriot. After finding this story in a tiki drink book, I went to find out the details and there doesn't seem to be anything contradicting it that I can easily find.

In 1780, Marion was attending a tavern party in Charleston with other revolutionary officers. The night got rather rowdy and Marion wasn't in the mood to drink, so he tried to leave...only to find that the owner had locked the doors until the party was over. He figured that the only reasonable response was to jump out the second story window, breaking his ankle on landing. He was carried out of the city to recuperate, which allowed him to avoid capture when the British took Charleston shortly after. He organized a small quasi-commando guerrilla unit that spent the rest of the year harassing the British, forming his reputation in the lineage of US special forces.

The reason this was in a tiki book? In the 1950s, the Francis Marion Hotel in Charleston made a cocktail called the Ankle Breaker based on cherry brandy and 151 proof rum.

I watched the TV series The Swamp Fox in the 50s or 60s. It was pretty cool for 6 y/o me, and a history lesson of sorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

A crossbowman fired a missle at Richard the Lionheart and hit him in the shoulder. The wound swiftly became gangrenous. Richard asked to have the crossbowman brought before him; and the man turned out to be a boy. He said Richard had killed his father and two brothers, and that he had killed Richard in revenge. He expected to be executed, but as a final act of mercy Richard forgave him, saying "Live on, and by my bounty behold the light of day", before he ordered the boy to be freed and sent away with 100 shillings

According to one chronicler, Richard's last act of chivalry proved fruitless when the infamous mercenary captain Mercadier had the crossbowman flayed alive and hanged as soon as Richard died.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

dee eight posted:

I watched the TV series The Swamp Fox in the 50s or 60s. It was pretty cool for 6 y/o me, and a history lesson of sorts.
Am I wrong or was that Leslie Nielson?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Am I wrong or was that Leslie Nielson?

"Who are you and how did you raid this fort?!"

"I'm the Swamp Fox...and I'm the Swamp Fox."

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Krankenstyle posted:

shya, that cat existed too tho. except nobody cares anymore

I do! ha now the cat is remembered and in so doing lives again

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

Readign through this awesome document, Instruction whereafter Mis(s)e Murre, who has been appointed Danish Chancery Cat, is to follow and relate. Apparently some scribes in the Danish Chancery were having a laugh in the early 1700s (the document is officially dated "Actum Cancelliet last year" lol)

Some highlights:
* He may freely use the appointed holes in the doors to come and go, but in the winter he may use three (3) meows to alert the chancery couriers that a door shall be opened.
* When he has been hunting and challenging rats and mice all night, he is freely allowed to sleep and stretch in his residence under the hot stove for six hours (6-9 am + 12-3 pm in the summer, 7-10 am + 1-4 pm in the winter).
* Under penalty of losing his bollocks, he may not leave odorous proclama in the cupboards or on the letters, nor may he sniff, swipe or in some other way take advantage of Jørgen's food.
* Should it be that the Castle Cats bring forth several accusations and complaints to his disgrace, it must first be brought to his declaration and remittance so the truth can be observed.
* In his old age, he may take a helper with right of succession. This helper, who can be one of the Castle Cats or one of his sons, may only enjoy what food Misse Murre leaves, or what he can obtain elsewhere.
* On the celebratory days — easter sunday, whit sunday, christmas day — he shall be outfitted with a paper cravat bearing his name thereby to be shown the due respect of his rank.

There's more, but that's it for now.

This post was so good,I think about it sometimes weeks later, and must ask: was there more

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Frog Act posted:

This post was so good,I think about it sometimes weeks later, and must ask: was there more

Let's see...

More about his free time:
* Anyone present in the chancery must see to it that his allotted free hours under the stove are not disturbed by dogs, to prevent any Alteration [cat ptsd??] that such an Attaqve might cause.

More about poop:
* At winter time he may not conduct his business in the ashes from the stove, to conserve his delightful fur, which due to an in the ashes hidden spark could be badly singed; He may not purge anywhere than up in the chamber by the little house, where a stool with three legs for him has been set, under which he can make his necessities just as former chancery cats have made theirs.

More about pranks:
* When an ostrich feather, which is made from two pen feathers, wherein has been cut a large hole for his head, are set upon him [:confused:], so that he may defend himself angainst enemy attacks by dogs in this manner: one end of the ostrich feather comes right at the dog's snout so that it becomes confounded while Misse Murre may retire through the hole.

That should be all :)

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
that completely owns

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yea i love it so much

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

yea i love it so much

Where did you find it? It is quite wonderful.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It's in the Danish National Archives, I do a lot of genealogy so I visit pretty regularly.

You can reserve up to 15 items at a time in their system and so if I have free slots for a planned visit, I usually just check out whatever looks interesting even if it has nothing to do with my research.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Saltpeter (potassium nitrate) was an essential ingredient for gunpowder used in the earliest firearms to nearly the end of the 19th century. Monarchs were invested in procuring as much of this precious substance as possible. Although saltpeter is naturally formed in the soil of certain parts of Europe, it could be more reliably harvested from soil saturated with feces or human urine. Charles I of England thus employed "saltpetermen" to hunt it down wherever it could be found. These men were empowered by the crown to enter private property and disturb such depositories as fields, henhouses, sheds, stables, pigeon lofts, and outhouses, setting up their operations without any recompense to the owners of the land. Their hunt extended to church property, leading one man of the cloth to say this:

""in all places without distinction, as in parlours, bed-chambers, threshing floors, malting houses and shops; yeah, God’s own house they have not forborne, but have digged in churches, hallowed chapels and churchyards, tearing men’s bones and ashes out of their graves to make gunpowder of."

The saltpetermen defended their actions, rightly pointing out that all this was in service of the crown. Of their digging under churches, one man said, "The ladies pisse in their seats, which causes excellent gunpowder".

During the American Civil War, the southern chemist John Haralson found a way to extract saltpeter directly from urine, which was significant given that the Union outclassed them when it came to chemical manufacturing. The following advertisement was ran in the Alabama Sentinel of Selma, Alabama:

"The ladies of Selma are respectfully requested to preserve all their chamber lye collected about their premises for the purpose of making Nitre. Wagons with barrels will be sent around to gather up the lotion.
Signed, Jonathan Haralson, Agent Nitre and Mining Bureau. Confederate States Army"

There was an amusing Confederate ditty about this new development, which began:

"John Harrelson, John Harrelson, you are a wretched creature,
You've added to this war a new and awful feature,
You'd have us think while every man is bound to be a fighter,
The ladies, bless their pretty dears, should save their p** for nitre,
John Harrelson, John Harrelson, where did you get this notion,
To send your barrel around the town to gather up this lotion,
We thought the girls had work enough in making shirts and kissing,
But you have put the pretty dears to patriotic pissing."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUG2U5AYVpk

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 09:31 on Feb 1, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
A real chemistry whizard, that one.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Saltpeter (potassium nitrate)

I learned at a young age that I could buy a box of that at the local grocery store for 10 cents. A 50/50 mix of that and cane sugar burns bright, hot, and slow. The burning mix produces copious billows of white smoke, and when contained, explodes reasonably violently.

[/preteenhyjinks]

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

dee eight posted:

I learned at a young age that I could buy a box of that at the local grocery store for 10 cents. A 50/50 mix of that and cane sugar burns bright, hot, and slow. The burning mix produces copious billows of white smoke, and when contained, explodes reasonably violently.

[/preteenhyjinks]

So how is it to live on the no-flight list?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

System Metternich posted:

Researchers recently dug out the remains of a medieval latrine in the northern German city of Lübeck. Even a good seven centuries after being demolished, the pits beneath them were still filled to the brim with feces and also a great bunch of things people accidentally or purposefully dropped in there. They also found millions of parasite eggs, and many of them still contained DNA of their former hosts. And here's the kicker: One DNA set of a medieval man who onced took a poo poo in Lübeck fits perfectly to the DNA set found in the remains of a medieval latrine in Bristol! So at least 700 years afterwards, people were able to reconstruct where a specific person had been travelling by comparing where he took a poo poo :v:

The dig site

Closer look at one of the dug up privies. Check out the double seating!

The pits below the toilets ran several metres deep

This wallet was also found down there. Maybe a merchant had to drop trou so quickly in order to avoid a catastrophe that his wallet got loose and fell down?

This was posted forever ago but these things are much more likely to be contamination by someone who handled the samples. An example of this happened in Germany where they found the DNA of a woman at the place of multiple murders and other crime scenes. This suspected serial killer was dubbed the "Phantom of Heilbronn" and much effort was put into her profiling and tracking. After almost two decades of false leads they finally got their heads out of their collective asses and figured out that hey, what if we actually have a technical problem here? It turned out to the cottonswabs that they used were contaminated at the factory by one of the packaging workers. So basically, I don't trust that turd data unless they swab all members of the excavation teams and sample touchers too.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Note to self: get job at cotton swab factory before initiating murder spree plans

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It'd be fairly easy to rule out whether the same person worked at the Bristol and Lübeck excavations, or whether they used the same resources, though.

Anyway, reminds me that it used to be that bog-bodies caused whole police investigations due to being so well preserved. It still happens, but I think the last one they figured it out within a month lol.

I mean look at this guy. Tollund Man died ~2300 years ago:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Beachcomber posted:

Dare you enter his magical realm?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

Hennig Brand discovered phosphorus in 1669 when he boiled his own urine (he was trying to make gold and reasoned that since urine and gold are both yellow they are basically the same thing). He had no idea about what to do with it and used it as a nightlight.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

It'd be fairly easy to rule out whether the same person worked at the Bristol and Lübeck excavations, or whether they used the same resources, though.

Anyway, reminds me that it used to be that bog-bodies caused whole police investigations due to being so well preserved. It still happens, but I think the last one they figured it out within a month lol.

People who like this will also enjoy this doc about the lady dai mummy. But calling it a mummy seems wrong because it could have passed for a body thats been dead for less than a week.

https://youtu.be/UPuJcSkx8Es

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Krankenstyle posted:

I would assume the world of ancient latrine excavation consists of a rather small pool of people. And the necessary DNA extraction and profiling very well could have been done by the exact same lab because few labs in the world are specialized in DNA extraction from old samples and fewer still extraction from old feces.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Zudgemud posted:

I would assume the world of ancient latrine excavation consists of a rather small pool of people. And the necessary DNA extraction and profiling very well could have been done by the exact same lab because few labs in the world are specialized in DNA extraction from old samples and fewer still extraction from old feces.

Ya so it's easy to rule out the modern dna if you know you have to do it

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Alhazred posted:

Hennig Brand discovered phosphorus in 1669 when he boiled his own urine (he was trying to make gold and reasoned that since urine and gold are both yellow they are basically the same thing). He had no idea about what to do with it and used it as a nightlight.

If your pee is the same colour as gold, you should drink more water.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

The Mighty Moltres posted:

That doesn't rhyme

Should be, pee is yellow? Drink water, fellow

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

He solved this problem by condensing the urine and then allowing it to ferment. This process was used for some time until they realized the fermentation was unnecessary and they'd just been bathing in rotten piss vapor for no real reason.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Cichlidae posted:

He solved this problem by condensing the urine and then allowing it to ferment. This process was used for some time until they realized the fermentation was unnecessary and they'd just been bathing in rotten piss vapor for no real reason.

PYF Historical Fun Fact: bathing in rotten piss vapor

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Stay gold Ponyboy

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Slippery posted:

That doesn't rhyme

Should be, pee is yellow? Drink water, fellow

Pee is brown? You’re in healthy town!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Pee is clear? Death is near!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Pee is red? Good in bed.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Natioanal urine-tasting champion who is very annoyed that he wasn't told that it's piss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMhOqLuqH6Y

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Landsknecht was a name for german mercenaries in the 15th century, a group of civilians usually followed each regiment of landsknechts. The man responsible for these civilians was called a "whore's sergeant" (Hurenweibel), despite this name prostitutes were actually not allowed to follow the camp and any women who weren't betrothed to a soldier in the unit where closely watched so they wouldn't try to solicit any soldiers.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Feb 6, 2019

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think it was mostly 16th century.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Mercenaries would also have a officer called a Fire Chief (Brandmeister), who's job was to ride around going getting donations for the fire department.

haha nah, actually his job was to extort food/money for the army via arson.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Those horses loving love their job.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shai-Hulud posted:

Those horses loving love their job.

But enough about Mike Pence.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Fly Molo posted:

But enough about Mike Pence.

No that's "love their loving job" not "loving love their job".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Does it feel like your love life has gotten a bit stale? Do you suspect that your partner is no longer attracted to you? Why not do what the ancient assyrians did and smear crushed magnetite on his cock before applying a thin layer of iron dust on your vagina. He won't be able to resist you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Does it feel like your love life has gotten a bit stale? Do you suspect that your partner is no longer attracted to you? Why not do what the ancient assyrians did and smear crushed magnetite on his cock before applying a thin layer of iron dust on your vagina. He won't be able to resist you.

Neato! Magneato.