Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Kingdom Hearts 3:[spoiler] Prince Hans gets turned into a giant wolf, and you team up with the snow monster Snowflake to fight him.[spoiler]

Mamkute has a new favorite as of 08:08 on Feb 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Right, pioneering EVE Online goonswarm tactics, devised 20 years before EVE online even existed.
The Starcraft 2 deepmind AI killing off it's own wounded units is what reminded of the Eurisko AI honestly. Same thing happened in the 1982 tournament
(the new yorker article goes into the details).

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Right, pioneering EVE Online goonswarm tactics, devised 20 years before EVE online even existed.
The Starcraft 2 deepmind AI killing off it's own wounded units is what reminded of the Eurisko AI honestly. Same thing happened in the 1982 tournament
(the new yorker article goes into the details).

That's some Ender's Game level poo poo.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I only played EVE for five minutes before I decided it sucked, but I gotta say the video of a shitload of small ships killing that 1000+ dollar mega capital ship was really something.

Do you have a link or a keyword I can search by? 'Cause this sounds interesting.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Qwertycoatl posted:

That part isn't true. It spiked up to 1000apm and was entering commands that it would be literally impossible to do with mouse+keyboard.

And for most of the matches it could see the whole map at once (fog of war still present, but it didn't have to scroll around). That capability was turned off for the match it lost.

You're also incorrect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUTMhmVh1qs

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Thanks for linking to a three hour video without providing timestamps.

https://deepmind.com/blog/alphastar-mastering-real-time-strategy-game-starcraft-ii/

APM spiking above 1000:

Note that TLO's APM on that graph looks crazy-high because some individual keypresses get interpreted as multiple actions.

Also, mean APM is a very misleading statistic because high-level players spam keys all the time to keep their fingers loose even if nothing interesting is happening. APM at key moments is way more important.

quote:

During the matches against TLO and MaNa, AlphaStar interacted with the StarCraft game engine directly via its raw interface, meaning that it could observe the attributes of its own and its opponent’s visible units on the map directly, without having to move the camera

quote:

Additionally, and subsequent to the matches, we developed a second version of AlphaStar. Like human players, this version of AlphaStar chooses when and where to move the camera, its perception is restricted to on-screen information, and action locations are restricted to its viewable region.
This one lost its match.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
But did they do a rundown of who was present for TLO

Something of a ... roll call, I guess you could say

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mamkute posted:

Kingdom Hearts 3: Prince Hans gets turned into a giant wolf, and you team up with the snow monster Snowflake to fight him.

Thanks for unmarked spoilers jerk!

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Qwertycoatl posted:

That part isn't true. It spiked up to 1000apm and was entering commands that it would be literally impossible to do with mouse+keyboard.

And for most of the matches it could see the whole map at once (fog of war still present, but it didn't have to scroll around). That capability was turned off for the match it lost.

It shows the apm of both actors the entire time, with a steady 150 for the deepmind, and the pro players spiking to over 800 at times. it is displayed during the entire duration of the entire video, so I'm not sure how you came to your conclusion.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 01:38 on Feb 2, 2019

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Olaf The Stout posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3MCb4W7-kM&t=4530s

So they used deepmind technology to teach a program how to play starcraft 2. From what I've gathered, they fed in 10's of thousands of replays of games from battlenet across all skill bandwidths and made the ai simulate them, then created dozens of slightly different versions of this starcraft-playing system. Then they simulated 200 years of matches, and took the reigning champion from that period and made them play starcraft 2 pros. This is a pretty simple explanation for a very complicated things.

It can only play protoss vs protoss on one specific map. It uses a virtual keyboard and mouse and therefore must enter its commands the same way a human player would, especially in regards to the minimap, and is hardcapped to 150 actions per minute. In this video it sweeps 2 separate professional starcraft 2 players, 0-5 each.

You guys it's so alien. It constructs its bases in ways that look like a termite colony. The rather standard early game meta for starcraft is 16 probes to a mining base, and about 50 for your 200 supply lategame. It makes 24 probes per base and latgame has 80, something no other pro has ever gone close to doing.

Lategame pros will kill off a bunch of excess workers and make strong units during it's final push. This AI instead kills off any injured member of its own offensive army, and then kills off any surviving low-tech units, something no other pro does.

Its control of its units is so exquisite that it takes units that are normally countered by others, and flips the counter back, hard, just through superior precision positioning during combat.

This exhibition match will literally change the current starcraft 2 meta. The later matches the pros were already trying to copy the AI just during this little exhibition to try and keep up. In the majority of the matches the human players never even make it halfway across the map.

I distinctly remember someone nerding out to me years ago about how Starcraft is the ultimate strategy game, AI will never be able to beat humans, it’s more complex than Go..

I love that it turns out that we’re just not all that good at it compared to a properly trained machine. :allears:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Dewgy posted:

I distinctly remember someone nerding out to me years ago about how Starcraft is the ultimate strategy game, AI will never be able to beat humans, it’s more complex than Go..

I love that it turns out that we’re just not all that good at it compared to a properly trained machine. :allears:

The interesting thing is if people will start developing new strategies because of these matches. Apparently that is what happened with Go.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
Don't understand why that announcer is acting the way he is. Yes the computer is acting differently to standard winning procedures, so what?

I guess what I'm asking is why is this guy acting like this computer program is SO AMAZING, adapt and overcome, what's the problem?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Slippery posted:

Don't understand why that announcer is acting the way he is. Yes the computer is acting differently to standard winning procedures, so what?

I guess what I'm asking is why is this guy acting like this computer program is SO AMAZING, adapt and overcome, what's the problem?

He’s easily impressed and pays attention to nothing other than Starcraft gameplay.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Dewgy posted:

He’s easily impressed and pays attention to nothing other than Starcraft gameplay.

I mean God knows I'm not ever going to be a pro gamer and the least of them would own me etc. But, why act like new tactics are UNBELIEVABLE

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Olaf The Stout posted:

It shows the apm of both actors the entire time, with a steady 150 for the deepmind, and the pro players spiking to over 800 at times. it is displayed during the entire duration of the entire video, so I'm not sure how you came to your conclusion.

Is youtube showing us different videos or something?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Slippery posted:

I mean God knows I'm not ever going to be a pro gamer and the least of them would own me etc. But, why act like new tactics are UNBELIEVABLE

On top of probably playing it up for the audience, I assume this guy is at least sort of closed-minded about tactics at this point in a game, actually. Starcraft 2's been out for nearly ten years, Starcraft as a whole for just over twenty, both of them have been very heavily played that whole time, so you could very easily trick yourself into thinking that to some degree it's a 'solved game'; that surely all of these players over the last twenty years have found the 'correct' way to play the game, at least in a general sense. And then it logically follows, if the playerbase has been playing the game 'correctly', the AI will play similarly.

Of course, any knowledge of the history of basically any team sport will tell you that's not true, but if you aren't aware of that, seeing an AI roll into this codified game and just play bafflingly unlike how anybody else does, would kinda blow your mind.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm surprised by the AI using so many workers. Unlike most of the AI decisions it's a pretty basic thing that humans really should have found by now. I wonder if it's a decade of groupthink, or if extra workers are only good when backed up by the rest of the AI's playstyle.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm too lazy to skip through the video to see if they ever focus on it, but I'm wondering if it's a case of the AI is simply building excess and sending them to gather from the next nearest point early on, or micromanaging the probes so they gather fast enough to justify 8 additional probes. Also, do the replays save the camera positioning of each player, or just in-game actions?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

AFAIK you can't micromanage workers to collect more efficiently than they do normally. The main benefits seem to be resilience against harassers killing the probes, and ability to get a new expansion running at high efficiency right after it's built by diverting the excess workers from the main base.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Cleretic posted:

On top of probably playing it up for the audience, I assume this guy is at least sort of closed-minded about tactics at this point in a game, actually. Starcraft 2's been out for nearly ten years, Starcraft as a whole for just over twenty, both of them have been very heavily played that whole time, so you could very easily trick yourself into thinking that to some degree it's a 'solved game'; that surely all of these players over the last twenty years have found the 'correct' way to play the game, at least in a general sense. And then it logically follows, if the playerbase has been playing the game 'correctly', the AI will play similarly.

Of course, any knowledge of the history of basically any team sport will tell you that's not true, but if you aren't aware of that, seeing an AI roll into this codified game and just play bafflingly unlike how anybody else does, would kinda blow your mind.

That's a really good point, it makes sense, thanks for bringing it up.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

BioEnchanted posted:

I've been playing the phone game Flow and it's been really interesting. I especially like the penultimate level group, the Party Pack, because it combines all the gimmicks in different ways, like this one that combines bridges, walls and warps:

And the completed map:

When you're done with that download PathPix. Same basic gameplay concept but more complex and you make a pretty picture at the end of each one!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Cleretic posted:

Wait gently caress

Starcraft is twenty years old? And Starcraft 2 is ten?

gently caress, now I feel old :smith:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

BioEnchanted posted:

I've been playing the phone game Flow and it's been really interesting. I especially like the penultimate level group, the Party Pack, because it combines all the gimmicks in different ways, like this one that combines bridges, walls and warps:

And the completed map:

It's a really relaxing puzzle game!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KH3's Disney world storylines are all really hit or miss at times and I was really meh throughout the game but then I got through all of them and the story actually started to pick up and things started to move and I was 100% invested at that point.

Spoilers for what kinda stuff specifically Playing as other characters besides Sora! We actually manage to make a meaningful difference and rescue people! Finally getting a chance to fight Organization 13 members despite them regularly showing up throughout the entire game and no one taking a swing at anyone at any given point!

Also there's something really amusing about a cyclone of Shadows being such a threat in the game.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 04:39 on Feb 3, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Can't wait to play KH3 on the 3DS

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

KH3's Disney world storylines are all really hit or miss at times and I was really meh throughout the game but then I got through all of them and the story actually started to pick up and things started to move and I was 100% invested at that point.

Spoilers for what kinda stuff specifically Playing as other characters besides Sora! We actually manage to make a meaningful difference and rescue people! Finally getting a chance to fight Organization 13 members despite them regularly showing up throughout the entire game and no one taking a swing at anyone at any given point!

Also there's something really amusing about a cyclone of Shadows being such a threat in the game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Do you have a link or a keyword I can search by? 'Cause this sounds interesting.

https://youtu.be/LRlrFudaEs8

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013
I'm playing King Of Dragon's Pass again and the amount of funny and awesome little moments is amazing, but I will say that my favourite little thing is having an Eurmalda (trickster god) worshipper on my council and listening to their advice that's basically always useless and makes them seem to be more interested in drinking and gambling rather than helping the clan.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DawnOfMinstrel posted:

I'm playing King Of Dragon's Pass again and the amount of funny and awesome little moments is amazing, but I will say that my favourite little thing is having an Eurmalda (trickster god) worshipper on my council and listening to their advice that's basically always useless and makes them seem to be more interested in drinking and gambling rather than helping the clan.

And the best part is sometimes it will work even if it sounds like it’s completely impossible. I love that game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the kh3 disney stuff peaks in the Monsters Inc world, where the main character is being menaced by yet another growly-voiced anime boy in a black cloak before Sully creeps up behind the baddie, grabs him, throws him through a door, throws that door through another door, throws that door through yet another door, and then feeds the last door through a shredder

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
lmao

Is there a video of that already? I'd really like to see it for myself :allears:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Oxxidation posted:

the kh3 disney stuff peaks in the Monsters Inc world, where the main character is being menaced by yet another growly-voiced anime boy in a black cloak before Sully creeps up behind the baddie, grabs him, throws him through a door, throws that door through another door, throws that door through yet another door, and then feeds the last door through a shredder

Or, to save on postage, I'll just poison him with this!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxxidation posted:

I loved that bit too. I really wish Kingdom Hearts at-large was more of this instead of making fighting Organization XIII serious and grimdark :allears:.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I loved that bit too. I really wish Kingdom Hearts at-large was more of this instead of making fighting Organization XIII serious and grimdark :allears:.

The whole story of 3 would never have worked if Wreck It Ralph's world was accessible. Pac-Man and Ryu- or Evil Ryu- would've absolutely destroyed all the tension.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I like how unlike KH1 (maybe 2? I don't remember) you don't have to pick party members. They just drop everyone in the party and let you go ham

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RareAcumen posted:

The whole story of 3 would never have worked if Wreck It Ralph's world was accessible. Pac-Man and Ryu- or Evil Ryu- would've absolutely destroyed all the tension.

Wreck-It Ralph's 'world' is just visiting every other video game world, so having him as a Link is perfect fit. I just want to see Org XII guys turn up and act all :emo: smug and superior, only to get brutally and/or embarrassingly owned by Disney characters.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wreck-It Ralph's 'world' is just visiting every other video game world, so having him as a Link is perfect fit. I just want to see Org XII guys turn up and act all :emo: smug and superior, only to get brutally and/or embarrassingly owned by Disney characters.

Exactly. Larxene could never defeat Sonic, Chaos Emeralds or not and it only gets worse if they've got Marvel vs Capcom hooked up anywhere in this scenario because then you've got Captain America, Wolverine, Cyclops and Spider-Man involved.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Mikl posted:

lmao

Is there a video of that already? I'd really like to see it for myself :allears:

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxKHz_uHUQA&t=219s

(timestamp around 3:40)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Eh, I was picturing it a bit more slapsticky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Calaveron posted:

Eh, I was picturing it a bit more slapsticky

The actual movements on that part do feel a little empty, and maybe it could use some good soundtracking, but the camera and the sheer base concept carries it for me.