Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Do you remember when the free games thread had posts about games that were now free? Pepperidge farm remembers ;)

Heh, bet you have a cluttered desktop too old timer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

greententacle posted:

What's that from?

Fallout New Vegas, if you ever turn on Mr House that's what he actually looks like deep in his sanctum. He really was telling the truth about not being a computer pretending to be a human like anyone genre-savvy would immediately guess upon first seeing him.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Voiced by Rene Auberjonois

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Fuzz posted:

Pssh, real pros launch into command line and run the batch file they created that goes to the directory with cd\ commands and then runs the exe.

Sometimes this may include a boot disc to give yourself more EMS ram.

Back in the day when my 286 with a meg of RAM was top of the line, the solution to limited hard disk space was to put all of my games in a .zip file, and then to have a batch file for each game that would unzip the game to a folder, run the executable, and then when the executable terminated delete the folder entirely.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Breetai posted:

Back in the day when my 286 with a meg of RAM was top of the line, the solution to limited hard disk space was to put all of my games in a .zip file, and then to have a batch file for each game that would unzip the game to a folder, run the executable, and then when the executable terminated delete the folder entirely.
How would saved games work?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Xander77 posted:

by the point your computer time for the day is over you’re still at the configuration screen

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Xander77 posted:

You either finished each chapter of Bio Menace in one sitting, or you could get hosed, basically.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

where da free games at

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Breetai posted:

drat i bet you were that dude playin engineer in tfc with an 800ping

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Thief posted:

The PS/2 286 could do anything!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Thief posted:

2 words: turbo button.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Kly posted:

where da free games at

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Kly posted:

where da free games at

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Behind a third party launcher held hostage by capitalism

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Places I tend to check for free games. Besides the Steamgifts thread.

https://isthereanydeal.com/?by=price:asc#/filter:&pl/windows,&price/0.00/0.00,-itchio

I have a -itchio flag on it because I dont like any of the itchio games they have for free all the time.
Also the banners at the top of isthereanydeal.com usually list freebies.

I also check the freebies tab at https://gg.deals/us/

The Humble store will post freebies occasionally https://www.humblebundle.com/store

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Len posted:

Behind a third party launcher held hostage by capitalism

oh, is steam doing a giveaway today

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Assassins Creed Chronicles China is free right now from ubi.

https://store.ubi.com/us/assassins-creed-chronicles--china/575ffd8fa3be1633568b4cf0.html?lang=en_US

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
Kholat is free on steam

short, narrative walking sim I've had on my list for awhile

https://store.steampowered.com/app/343710/Kholat/

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Breetai posted:

2 words: turbo button.

Who though it was a good idea to name the "downclock CPU" button "turbo".

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

DryGoods posted:

Kholat is free on steam

The promo video has a quote from pewdepie, how bad could it be.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

DryGoods posted:

Kholat is free on steam

It is another horror game like Outlast and Amnesia but it is bad.

Free is a good price for Sean Bean's voice over.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Thief posted:

only 2? check out my setup:

sir you need to get out of the basement more often

spending too much indoors gaming can cause serious medical problems sir

drkeiscool fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 2, 2019

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

When I try to checkout, it keeps saying "This field is required" even though I filled out all fields.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

drkeiscool posted:

When I try to checkout, it keeps saying "This field is required" even though I filled out all fields.

Wait, I got it. I had to click either Paypal or Visa as a payment option.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Apparently only available to the 48 contiguous states?

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

drkeiscool posted:

Wait, I got it. I had to click either Paypal or Visa as a payment option.

Yeah, for some reason you still need to put in payment info, even though the game is free!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

greententacle posted:

Yeah, for some reason you still need to put in payment info, even though the game is free!

it's so that your card will be in their system so you have one fewer thing stopping you from an impulse purchase in the future.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Heads up Axiom Verge is free on Epic Games Launcher until February 21

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Apparently it crashes because the dev deleted any files with the word "steam" in them. It's probably fixed by now though

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Len posted:

Apparently it crashes because the dev deleted any files with the word "steam" in them. It's probably fixed by now though

It is

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Your Gay Uncle posted:

This game is exactly Super Metroid except for some reason I actually enjoy playing it and want to persevere beyond the first boss.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Breetai posted:

This game is exactly Super Metroid except for some reason I actually enjoy playing it and want to persevere beyond the first boss.

:staredog:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah dude that's some wack poo poo. You can easily get to at least 3rd boss before SM puts you to sleep, and even aside from that, Axiom Verge still comfortably ranks below it

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Axiom Verge is some dude's really specific and loving weird self-insert fantasy that reads like a completely stupid fanfiction.

I mean, it had some novel traversal mechanics and guns, but a lot of it feels like, "hey, this is cool, let's just shove it in there!" Without much other thought or actual design. I mean, the glitch area mechanic alone is such dogshit that I don't even know how people could bother. "Hey, there are glitch areas scattered completely at random around the world and you may have to do one of 3 different things against a completely nondescript section of wall/ceiling/floor and you can get an item to find these areas but it only clues you in by adding really faint scanlines to your health bar, like only that part of the screen is an old CRT. Also you have no idea how many of these areas happened to be in this iteration of the world. YEAH!"

Then there's the often really lovely area design, plus the guns which ranged from "holy poo poo this is brokenly good" to "Why the gently caress would I ever use this for any reason."

I mean, it's a mediocre Metroidvania at best. For free? Yeah, can't hurt and it has some cool bosses. But it's not actually a good game.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 9, 2019

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

i played Axiom Verge to completion and the only things i remember are:

• the grappling hook was the loving worst
  • the last boss was dumb as hell
  • there were no fast travel and the main hub was an enormous featureless void

game isn't even worth playing, even free.

GeekTheMage
May 20, 2001
I played and enjoyed Axiom Verge and can confirm that everyone's complaints are 100% accurate, especially the awful grappling hook.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Environmental Station Alpha is the one which is literally Metroid

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
axiom verge came out in the middle of a small competent indie metroidvania dry spell, but there have been much better ones since and definitely better ones before

it's still worth a shot for free but go play ori or hollow knight after

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

flatluigi posted:

axiom verge came out in the middle of a small competent indie metroidvania dry spell, but there have been much better ones since and definitely better ones before

it's still worth a shot for free but go play ori or hollow knight after

Ori is bad though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ori is bad though

So is Hollow Knight