Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ohtsam posted:

Can the queen dissolve parliament and force a general election anymore?

I wonder if the queen gives a poo poo about any of this. The only thing she's said has been "quiet down, peasants", right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ohtsam posted:

I'm not sure if that's an actual power she has, but if she did it'd fall under the heading of "powers that technically exist but would immediately be followed by the abolishment of the monarchy if practised" so long as the parliament that's loving up the country still has the backing of a significant chunk of the electorate.

Then again, going by the last couple months of Theresa May clinging to power, it's entirely possible that no one can figure out the logistics of deposing the queen, even if she pissed off all of Britain.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Wasn’t there a story of Tony Blair going „I have a royal decree dissolving parliament and ordering general elections in my pocket and all that it needs to attain legal force right now is my signature“ in order to threaten the HoC into w/e?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

No, but they can move freely with no restrictions across the border, which is a direct connection to the homeland that will be permanently severed without the backstop.

That's an inconvenience, and given we all have Irish and British citizenship anyway it's unlikely to be a major one. It's not something anyone's going to start an insurgency over.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bryter posted:

That's an inconvenience, and given we all have Irish and British citizenship anyway it's unlikely to be a major one. It's not something anyone's going to start an insurgency over.

We'll see how you feel when you're fighting your dad for a can of beans.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

EU and Japan create world's biggest free trade zone
Almost all tariffs on trade between the European Union and the world's third-biggest economy have been removed. European companies could save around a billion euros in duties each year.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Ohtsam posted:

I'm pretty sure she can (there's a play/film about Charles III doing the same thing) but she'd probably be then forced to abdicate and they'd change the law to stop it happening again.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
The queen hasn't had the power to dissolve parliament since the fixed term parliaments act was introduced. Before then the queen (exclusively under the advice of the PM in modern times) could call an election at any time. Now an election requires a two thirds vote in the commons, a vote of no confidence in the government, or 5 years to have passed since the last election.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

okay brits. you have access to cheap toyotas for the next 59 days. do you take that bet?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

i say swears online posted:

okay brits. you have access to cheap toyotas for the next 59 days. do you take that bet?

they're going to need all the hiluxes they can get for day 60

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

brexit days 1-20: ominous silence from the north
brexit day 21: a fleet of toyota technicals under the command of Mullah Glazer al-Manchesteri ride out bearing his crimson and gold flag

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

they're going to need all the hiluxes they can get for day 60

fuel pump in september, £6000

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i say swears online posted:

fuel pump in september, £6000

there will be adequate guzzoline for all screaming raider gangs

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i get free Ritter Sport at work, maybe i should bring a few hundred over to flip

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Jose posted:

My solution to brexit is to apply for a job with the British Antarctic survey today and go to Antarctica lol

Sound good and interesting, even aside from its get the gently caress out of Britain aspects

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
imo whatever suffering brexit causes is 100% justified by irish simpsons fans

https://twitter.com/Mark_Kilkelly/status/1091070734812831744

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

so now they can shut all the Japanese car factories anyway and just ship them all from China now?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

quote:

Officials warn of ‘putrefying’ rubbish after no-deal Brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/01/revealed-plan-to-deal-with-putrefying-stockpiles-of-rubbish-after-no-deal-brexit

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Officials warn of [horrifying thing] after brexit is my favorite genre of headline

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1091406328831139841?s=19

The EA is also concerned that if farmers cannot export beef and lamb, a backlog of livestock on farms could cause liquid manure stores to overflow. A senior MP said the problems could cause a public health and environmental pollution emergency. An EA source said: “It could all get very ugly, very quickly.”

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

there will be adequate putrefying hog poo poo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I don't think they'll reach post hurricane North Carolina any time soon

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
You guys really are going to devolve into pigshit covered peasants. Jesus.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Well yes there isn't much chance of getting rid of the Lords anytime soon.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

never thought Britain could produce this level of blistering comedy but every single Brexit story has me in loving tears

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SKULL.GIF posted:

never thought Britain could produce this level of blistering comedy but every single Brexit story has me in loving tears

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/TheSun/status/1091091942392385543?s=19

No measures being taken to protect it from goths

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

“this, my son...”
gestures to vast, frothing lagoon of putrescent filth
“this is your patrimony

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
https://twitter.com/JewishChron/status/1090931711460954113

this is bad for corbyn

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

twoday posted:

https://twitter.com/TheSun/status/1091091942392385543?s=19

oh that's easy, just smash the pedestal with a sledgehammer until the statue falls over

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

twoday posted:

We know how to throw bricks.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Dry, dark, failure obsessed

Yep this is it. The greatest British comedy skit of all time

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

twoday posted:

The EA is also concerned that if farmers cannot export beef and lamb, a backlog of livestock on farms could cause liquid manure stores to overflow. A senior MP said the problems could cause a public health and environmental pollution emergency. An EA source said: “It could all get very ugly, very quickly.”

Oh right I hadn't thought about this haha but during a study we did about waste disposal in a major swedish city we visited the largest plant and they told us the facility would only be working at about 40% capacity if they didn't get paid by britain to take care of a some of their garbage so uh

good luck with that

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

god dammit im laughing again

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I can't stop thinking about Dr Max Gammon now.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

twoday posted:

This is getting better and better every single day. I can't wait till April, it will be awesome

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
"Blitz Spirit", I shout in defiance as the avalanche of sheep carcasses and pig shits engulfes my quaint English village burying us all under the weight of our huge success against the barmy technocrats from Brussels.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

No, but they can move freely with no restrictions across the border, which is a direct connection to the homeland that will be permanently severed without the backstop.

The main factor that set off the Troubles was the extremely lovely and bigoted laws and systematic prejudice against Catholics, and that the peaceful movement made to address this was violently kept down. Not straight up Irish nationalism. That just became an easy fellow flyer and hypothetical solution to the Catholic side.

Honestly it seems to me that the more likely resumption of violence is Brexit leading to a majority of NI people voting to unify with the Republic, and the hardcore DUP types revive the Protestant terrorist groups in response.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Opferwurst posted:

This is getting better and better every single day. I can't wait till April, it will be awesome

people starving to death while pig poo poo overflows in the street.

At least we are now free of crooked EU despots telling us what to do from Belgium...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

twoday posted:

okay i was wrong

free ireland is going to need a hard border

to enforce a quarantine of the UK