Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That’s a sad rationalization really. I know it’s poo poo but at least they are honest about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I mean I just want a prettier looking CK2 set in China and it looks like I can do that with this game and auto-resolve.

And before you go on about how deep and meaningful CK2 is when it comes to sorting itself out I say "its great that you think that, but all too often its just staring at the speed dial for ages"

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the campaign looks great but the battles look so small!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
TW and CK aren’t even close to each other.

So even best case scenario you aren’t gonna get that

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The campaign looks like it takes a lot of elements from some of the Koei games.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

CharlestheHammer posted:

TW and CK aren’t even close to each other.

So even best case scenario you aren’t gonna get that

I mean, the campaign map stuff looks interesting and fun to me. I get to play politics a little bit, build up a pleasing imperial set up, that kind of thing.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Davincie posted:

that said, combat animations don't look great, i dislike the unit cards (even if they're fitting art style wise, they are hard to keep apart and look ugly) and there seems to be no indication there's anything but han chinese playable or on the map, i see no nanman, no vietnam, no korea, no nomadic tribes etc. also all but 1 lord seems to start in the north, making the southern half of the map a void for dlc
There's been suspicion about DLC for Vietnam/Korea/Nanman, but in the case of tribes today's video linked on the previous page showed that his faction gets (early?) access to Qiang cavalry -- archer, melee, and shock -- with Ma Teng himself providing a (factionwide-since-he's-leading) -30% upkeep cost to them.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

The reported fact that the AI never turns down duels and will beeline towards your hero (and more specifically, head first into your spear wall) seems like a pretty big problem.

The whole duel system, while thematically appropriate and cool, is a horrible idea in practice since it effectively makes general-sniping a mechanic and looks very abusable.
Sounds mainly like an AI problem, although one possibility could have been the AI weighing (overly considering Liu Bei's faction characters being deliberately overpowered) the fact that the general that the game deems 'advantaged' only gets a temporary morale buff from winning quickly enough, while in AngoryTom's video the nominally-disadvantaged general can instead 'go the distance Rocky-style' and disengage after the timer expires, getting multiple temporary buffs plus a permanent morale buff for their unit... and in one video I saw an AI general actually run out the clock against deliberately-overpowered Guan Yu or Zhang Fei only to get defeated when they didn't disengage right afterward.

(Addendum: CA has said that you can buff/debuff the duelists without causing an interruption, which along with having the right ancillaries equipped can help with evening out the odds in a duel.)

Mantis42 posted:

Good news then: you're limited to 3 generals and 18 units to a stack this time.
For what it's worth I think Yuan Shao -- but him alone(?) -- is able to represent the old-style 'full stack with only one general' via the army having a character's full retinue plus two captain retinues, since (from what I'd already seen in the influencer Liu Bei campaign build) captains themselves are 'full size' infantry units instead of being individual or 'general+bodyguards' units.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Josef bugman posted:

I mean I just want a prettier looking CK2 set in China and it looks like I can do that with this game and auto-resolve.

And before you go on about how deep and meaningful CK2 is when it comes to sorting itself out I say "its great that you think that, but all too often its just staring at the speed dial for ages"

ahh but revenge is so much sweeter when you’ve had years/decades to let it really simmer and stew.

I hope 3k is sweet but I feel like all the best TW games have been revised tighter focused versions, rather than huge ‘LOOk AT ALL THE FEATURES WE ADDED’ games. Napoleon ruled, Empire sucked. Shogun 2 ruled, Rome 2 sucked. Warhammer rules because it doesn’t give a poo poo about anything but awesome battles.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I appreciated Li Ru thinking he could take on Zhang Fei.

This guy:

Thought he could beat this guy:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Electronico6 posted:

the recruitment system from Thrones made it in.

Gross goddamnit

Did finally manage to have a reasonably fun game of ToB until it just sorta ended because there's no end game challenge at all but I hate the recruitment system.
Spending even more turns than normal waiting for your army to fill up hooray

I guess if the ai actually uses it it makes beating ai armies more meaningful since you can wreck their manpower but its not as good as divide et impera giving everything 1 turn recruitment and loads of slots for capitals while limiting you based on population classes imo
Certainly beats the poo poo out of "wait 6 turns to begin recruiting some 20% replenished cavalry"

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
For what it's worth so far we've seen unit recruitment start at half strength, it's possible to accrue quicker replenishment, as far as I know there's no more availability-RNG/cooldown as in ToB, and Sun Jian's faction has a building chain that unlocks mercenary recruiting -- the units cost more but deploy at full strength -- for whoever holds the building.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I just rewatched the Carthage trailer for Rome 2 and to be honest I'm glad they aren't advertising like that again. Imagine if Carthage actually looked like that!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Man SA threads get so bizarrely firm in their conclusions for prereleases. I think it looks loving great. I agree that there's a concerning number of moving parts that mean there's a strong possibility that it'll be a broken mess on launch, but acting like that's a done deal is really stupid.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean it sounds like your a bit biased here and are more trying to talk yourself into it.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I don't really see anyone acting like anything is a done deal. Getting angry at people speculating about something that's not released yet is weird.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah i mean if it turns out to be a good game then I guess we were wrong and that’s it?

You can be wrong it does literally nothing

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hell I do it all the time

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Well in that it means getting to have a discussion about what we're actually seeing in the previews rather than half baked opinions relayed from the video of a disgruntled ex-CA employee, yeah the level negativity is actually kind of annoying and bad. I agree it's wise to be skeptical and justifiable to be a bit negative but "how could CA even think to show off this steaming turd" is ridiculous.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean it sounds like your a bit biased here and are more trying to talk yourself into it.

probably a little bit, but not any more than the half page of biased ranting I just read through.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lol people have given their opinions, you just don’t like them because their negative, grow up.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Coming from you of all people that's a pretty obtuse post

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm just giving an honest opinion that's been building for a while. I'm a casual Total War fan at best and only took an interest in this game because of the setting. The campaign looks like exactly what I want but the battles have issues that a number of people have pointed out. Look up the RepublicofPlay video on the subject.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Anyway the campaign really is looking incredibly good. I actually like the Rome 2 / Attila campaigns but I do think they're in lots of places super extraneous; basically civilization-lite, adding busy work but not really doing much that's meaningful to the battles themselves. With this game's characters + the retinues making them directly affect battles (even beyond them being superheroes), the character interactions will actually have a super meaningful effect.

Mantis42 posted:

I'm just giving an honest opinion that's been building for a while. I'm a casual Total War fan at best and only took an interest in this game because of the setting. The campaign looks like exactly what I want but the battles have issues that a number of people have pointed out. Look up the RepublicofPlay video on the subject.

This dude is an ex-CA employee who got blacklisted after he went on a drunken tirade after leaving the company and has been butthurt about it ever since. I'm not saying he can't have valid opinions but he hasn't even played the game; this is basically what I was talking about--most of the criticisms over the last page seem to be literally his points, and it's a really weak source to get them from. Like the always seeking duels thing. I don't think that's actually been verified at all, and yet now everyone's acting like it's the case?

Koramei fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 2, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Koramei posted:

Coming from you of all people that's a pretty obtuse post
Sorry I hurt your feelings posting better would help though.

Mantis42 posted:

Look at this biased post.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I'm not sure I've ever seen you make a single meaningful post in the like 5+ years I've been seeing you in these threads. I agree my post was a bit reductive, but at the same time, gently caress off.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Last few pages seemed fine by me? :shrug: Some people expressed some concerns and doubts they had, brought in some points, making a thing of it seems a bit much. You'd think there'd been some real TWC posting for these reactions to feel warranted, but it's all pretty whatever?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Koramei posted:

I'm not sure I've ever seen you make a single meaningful post in the like 5+ years I've been seeing you in these threads. I agree my post was a bit reductive, but at the same time, gently caress off.

I mean ive never seen you make a meaningful post, hell what even is a meaningful post? This a forum I don’t think you can make a meaningful post. maybe calm down a bit? I think your taking this way to personal.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean ive never seen you make a meaningful post, hell what even is a meaningful post? This a forum I don’t think you can make a meaningful post. maybe calm down a bit? I think your taking this way to personal.

i only lurk this thread but you're kind of posting like a stupid rear end in a top hat right now tbh

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Koramei posted:

Anyway the campaign really is looking incredibly good. I actually like the Rome 2 / Attila campaigns but I do think they're in lots of places super extraneous; basically civilization-lite, adding busy work but not really doing much that's meaningful to the battles themselves. With this game's characters + the retinues making them directly affect battles (even beyond them being superheroes), the character interactions will actually have a super meaningful effect.

This dude is an ex-CA employee who got blacklisted after he went on a drunken tirade after leaving the company and has been butthurt about it ever since. I'm not saying he can't have valid opinions but he hasn't even played the game; this is basically what I was talking about--most of the criticisms over the last page seem to be literally his points, and it's a really weak source to get them from. Like the always seeking duels thing. I don't think that's actually been verified at all, and yet now everyone's acting like it's the case?

there was a big streamer event where they got to play in which a bunch of them brought up issues with the battles

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

i only lurk this thread but you're kind of posting like a stupid rear end in a top hat right now tbh

Go back to lurking please

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Davincie posted:

there was a big streamer event where they got to play in which a bunch of them brought up issues with the battles

Wasn't it mostly just the speed of them / characters being too strong? I didn't watch every preview video but most of the more specific complaints I've heard seem to be coming from that guy, who did not go to the event.

I agree the battles look like a letdown right now but mostly in ways that seem like they'll be very different after some balance. Speed / character strength and even sync kills (unless they didn't record any, which seems very unlikely considering all the dueling animations) are just numbers to change.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I think the game looks awesome so far. TW needs some new mechanics to spice things up and I like that they are experimenting. Gives me a real reason to drop 50 bucks on yet another game.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
This is the company that made Rome 2 and companies in general try to put their best foot forward, if their best foot is full of valid things to criticise then :shrug: if you buy this (or any) game day 1 you're dumb. If people criticising the game upsets you Koramei then be less invested in it i guess

In my opinion the battles look real bad to me and the romance superhero genreals is a bit eh

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I don't give a crap about people criticizing the game and I have plenty of worries about it myself. Just when the entire discourse swings into overwhelming negativity because a few people made baselessly firm posts, then it's dumb. There are things to be worried about, there are things to be excited about. I was hoping to talk about some of the latter after seeing that video today but for some reason strategy game threads almost never have the kinda climate where we actually do that around here.
Also honestly I'm not sure about the whole best foot forward thing here; I mean obviously it's a thing, but to the extent that they're unwilling to show flaws at all and any showing up is damning, I don't think so--CA has been pretty candid since the Rome 2 fiasco, and from a more cynical perspective, displaying their product warts and all builds trust. Obviously not if it makes the thing look like a flaming pile of poo poo, but the perspective that it's doing that seems mostly confined to that butthurt ex-employee on youtube and this SA thread, hence my original post.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"
I don't know if 3K will be a good game at launch but I do know that we should argue about it breathlessly until the next info dump.

It's the only sane thing to do.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Koramei posted:

I don't give a crap about people criticizing the game and I have plenty of worries about it myself. Just when the entire discourse swings into overwhelming negativity because a few people made baselessly firm posts, then it's dumb. There are things to be worried about, there are things to be excited about. I was hoping to talk about some of the latter after seeing that video today but for some reason strategy game threads almost never have the kinda climate where we actually do that around here.
Also honestly I'm not sure about the whole best foot forward thing here; I mean obviously it's a thing, but to the extent that they're unwilling to show flaws at all and any showing up is damning, I don't think so--CA has been pretty candid since the Rome 2 fiasco, and from a more cynical perspective, displaying their product warts and all builds trust. Obviously not if it makes the thing look like a flaming pile of poo poo, but the perspective that it's doing that seems mostly confined to that butthurt ex-employee on youtube and this SA thread, hence my original post.

keep posting dude you've almost won

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Koramei posted:

Honestly my only concern is there is so much to do on the campaign map that turns will take forever and I'll never be able to finish a MP campaign.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Total Warhammer has broken me in the sense that by their nature, most historical TW games aren't going to be as exciting in battle as the one set in a universe with orcs and demon vikings and poo poo. Instead, I look to the historical line now as where CA can evolve their strategic map mechanics, and so far stuff like the spies video are great because they're taking steps towards making long-stagnant mechanics since RTW1 streamlined and/or interesting again.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I appreciated Li Ru thinking he could take on Zhang Fei.

This guy:

Thought he could beat this guy:

fun rtk fact: li ru was noted to be rather tall, and at least sturdy enough that when fat rear end dong zhou ran into him one day, ru stayed standing and zhou fell over

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
As far as prerelease negativity goes, I find it's way better to have it than not have it. The company's media arm will do everything it can to hype you into dropping $80 on pre-ordering a title sight unseen. It's a powerful and effective group of people spending a lot of money to get into your head. Pushback from internet forums getting you to think twice is a positive and helpful thing to counter that.

I mean, I was max hype for Dawn of War 3 but I didn't preorder it because the SA thread was a hive of negativity - and turns out they were 100% right! The worst case if they were wrong, though, is that I would have gotten it two weeks later and had a good time anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
it looks like you can only have three armies? am I crazy?