Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
yeah i think they built like six or seven satellite cities

all of them are now gone as gently caress, im p sure at least half of them got used the same way mottom's mobile oppression palace did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

quote:

A place ruled by the king Au Vam, where Meti was born and grew up. A city built outside of Throne by the demiurges, along with six others, that orbited it. They were immense projects, the culmination of hundreds of years of engineering and planning, that housed hundreds of thousands.

Throne also used to have a moon, which harbored its own kingdom.

You can easily imagine what happened to Throne’s orbiting cities, it’s moon, and why the sun broke, if you consider the current state of the world and what lead there.

I imagine the demiurges threw them at each other.

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
universal war was a snowball fight that got out of hand

jadis just wanted to show that guy what snow was like

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

MikeJF posted:

I imagine the demiurges threw them at each other.

Swolemon David and Jaggs each picked one up and threw it at other demiurges, obvs. Royalty is a continuous lifting motion.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The moons git sick of everyone's bullshit, and hosed off to cosmos-Netherlabds and got high as gently caress.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

"It used to be around, but then it got hosed up in the Universal War" is a probably a good bet for any unknown in this comic.

like with all the people hanging around chatting with YISUN, all the legendary bullshit is in a perpetual state of both existing and not-existing at any given moment depending on which makes for a better story.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

You know the rulers weren't royalty because just because the moons were broken doesn't make them destroyed

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
nah they could totally have been royalty and just not cared

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

make mockery posted:

nah they could totally have been royalty and just not cared

While Royalty is powerful I don't think it is actually CHIM in this setting; things have reality here, especially bad decisions. Think about Zoss, 'the closest any human has come to Royalty' - he can't just wish away the Second Conquest, though he could have stopped it at the time. Things get broken, and stay broken. Royalty is capable of moving on (which none of the demiurges can).

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
have we yet actually seen any indications zoss was a humanitarian

maybe he just doesnt like how much of a mess the demiurges made of things but also cant be arsed to clean it up himself

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Why would Zoss be interested in preventing something when "cause" and "effect" don't really seem to follow a linear relationship for him?

The overarching ethos here seems to be, "achieving real ultimate power results in not really wanting to do anything with it, or maybe not wanting to do anything with real ultimate power is a prerequisite for achieving it."

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 1, 2019

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Zoss' ability to ignore cause and effect seems primarily to be an ability to ignore some of them, about himself. And he still shows up with a hole in his head and no Key of Kings.

Because a major theme of the comic is 'breaking cycles' and accepting the consequences of change. Remember YISUN in the garden, to paraphrase: 'reality is an illusion, attachment is suffering, please ignore both of those truths.' If there isn't actually real transience to the world, then that takes away a core theme.

I don't think it's that Zoss doesn't want to act, or didn't want to. I think it's that he realized he could not fix this, and was able to actually decide to step back from the world. None of the demiurges have been capable of choosing that; Royalty is a continuous cutting motion, and that includes recognizing what he failed at and cutting himself away.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Joe Slowboat posted:

While Royalty is powerful I don't think it is actually CHIM in this setting; things have reality here, especially bad decisions. Think about Zoss, 'the closest any human has come to Royalty' - he can't just wish away the Second Conquest, though he could have stopped it at the time. Things get broken, and stay broken. Royalty is capable of moving on (which none of the demiurges can).

the multiverse is literally a bunch of stories the gods told themselves (and the gods, themselves, may be a story YISUN told themselves) so it's all a gray area. But Zoss isn't going to retroactively undo the fall of Throne, because it's part of his story and you can't just unmake who you are because you don't like that you hosed up (and if that's what you'd want to do you don't have enough command of yourself to really take the reins anyway). It seems entirely plausible, though, that at some point Allison might say meet a god, even though they're all dead and she lives inside one's skull.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Why would Zoss be interested in preventing something when "cause" and "effect" don't really seem to follow a linear relationship for him?

The overarching ethos here seems to be, "achieving real ultimate power results in not really wanting to do anything with it, or maybe not wanting to do anything with real ultimate power is a prerequisite for achieving it."

Cause it's who he is. The gods are dead and there's no outwardly ordained meaning to your life beyond what you make of the circumstances you find yourself in, but the more you lean in on that the more 'you' you'll be in ways that have magical kung-fu ramifications (this is the comic where Zoss's role was originally filled by super-Nietzsche). He's the failed conquering king who rear end-kicked his way to God's own throne, tried to impose an eternal rule of enlightened philosopher-kings, watched it all go to poo poo and got merked by an upstart because he was a lot better at conquering than ruling. Now that he's dead he could say gently caress it and go apply for the new opening at Starbucks instead, but his whole thing is sort of being singlemindedly purposeful to the point where even death is just an irrelevant distraction.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 1, 2019

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Joe Slowboat posted:

I don't think it's that Zoss doesn't want to act, or didn't want to. I think it's that he realized he could not fix this, and was able to actually decide to step back from the world. None of the demiurges have been capable of choosing that; Royalty is a continuous cutting motion, and that includes recognizing what he failed at and cutting himself away.

Hell, Zoss did act really, he found somebody else he probably feels has a chance to stop the demiurges and handed his power to them despite the whole dying thing (which may not stop him, but had to hurt at least). Saying “I can’t fix this, let me help someone who can” can be the best solution to a problem sometimes, and he certainly suffered for that action.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I deeply enjoy that Royalty is Nietzschean Vedic Detachment by way of the Elder Scrolls.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Death is inevitable and necessary part of life. It gives meaning to what would otherwise become an inescapable cycle of stagnation, madness, and despair.

Also accepting death makes you a stupid emo dweeb, because it means you'll never get to do anything cool or fun ever again, so don't if at all possible.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a ring providing a single permanent point of Levitate.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

What?! Their utopian lesbian relationship is not perfection? No way!

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1091505466109247489?s=19

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
New comic up.

Guess who just reentered the plot?

efb

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
What's that medallion from? I don't remember it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

GunnerJ posted:

What's that medallion from? I don't remember it.

I don't think we've seen it before, it seems like it has no significance other than she's playing with it when nervous/stressed.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Of course Incubus visits women in dreams. Dude has more red flags than a workers revolution.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

habeasdorkus posted:

Of course Incubus visits women in dreams. Dude has more red flags than a workers revolution.

I mean... his name is Incubus tbf

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
"Final lessons" makes it seem like this is a nightly thing too.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Ixjuvin posted:

I mean... his name is Incubus tbf

Yeah, but he's not an incubus, he chose the name. So he doesn't get the devil pass of "it's my nature!" Ofc, I have zero doubt that he shows up in men's dreams as well, so at least he's not gender discriminating.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

liking those incunipples

(not sarcasm they're legit good imo)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Of course not! It came out of nowhere after all.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Grand Prize Winner posted:

liking those incunipples

(not sarcasm they're legit good imo)

You have good taste.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

HEY KIDDO

rap tap tap

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
i don't fear the man who draws 10,000 nipples once.

i fear the man who draws one nipple 10,000 times.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GunnerJ posted:

"Final lessons" makes it seem like this is a nightly thing too.

Yeah. So it looks like there is the angel training, the demon training and the secret training in dreamland.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Maya, who definitely said the alt text, is going to show up, push Incubus aside unceremoniously, and say "This idiot has been teaching you wrong. I will train you."

Everyone will ignore the fallen Incubus, who will be on the ground whining that he was doing his best, while Maya teaches Allison about swords.

Incubus will be left completely alone from that point forward, just lying on his side in an alley in Throne going 'heeeey I'm still important, come baaaack."

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Synthbuttrange posted:

HEY KIDDO

rap tap tap

this is exactly what i thought as well.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

habeasdorkus posted:

Royalty is a ring providing a single permanent point of Levitate.

"So having a ring like that on each finger is Extra Royalty, then, right?" - Incubus

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
OH GOD gently caress OFF INCUBUS

oh god and hes the Man Inside the Walls too! today sucks!

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Cio right here is a great example of "Doing Relationship Anarchy Wrong".

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
incidentally dril 6 billion demons is doing good work still

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, but he's not an incubus, he chose the name. So he doesn't get the devil pass of "it's my nature!" Ofc, I have zero doubt that he shows up in men's dreams as well, so at least he's not gender discriminating.

He's not AN incubus, he's THE incubus. The earthly concept is basically a metaphysical reflection out into the rest of the multiverse, all based on him.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
That's also not his true form - we've seen his ruined body in previous chapters.

Pretty boy in the dream realm, scarred up wreck in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well that's what happens when you're so bad with a sword