Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

:wrong:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

someone quoted your post before the change accept your scammer tag with dignity

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

i will not have you impugn my reputation, sir and/or madam

good day!

*slams door*

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

...! posted:

i will not have you impugn my reputation, sir and/or madam

good day!

*slams door*

:wrong:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The men with guns did it again:

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

why in the holy gently caress would it hit one million, did anyone ever really think that

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

SRQ posted:

why in the holy gently caress would it hit one million, did anyone ever really think that

lots of them are convinced something will happen, mainly the complete and utter collapse of civilization as we know it, and it will make the price charts go vertical

bitcoin is literally a death cult

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

yes because in a post-economic barter system your electronic coins will be worth plenty of food

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

SRQ posted:

why in the holy gently caress would it hit three thousand

ftfy

once you accept that the market is irrational enough to allow any amount of real money to be paid for a worthless thing, anything is possible

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

well good news! binance is about to fix that
https://twitter.com/TechCrunch/status/1091154180645937152

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

it would probably be most efficient for visa/mastercard to just flag every single credit card used on there stolen rather than wait for the reports

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

evilweasel posted:

it would probably be most efficient for visa/mastercard to just flag every single credit card used on there stolen rather than wait for the reports

How will their transaction volume keep up with bitcoin's though??

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

its fun when a bitcoin thing gets posted outside of their cult, there's one guy going "Yeah remind me what props up the Stock Market again? Oh yeah, endless amounts of debt." and everyone else is some variation of "this is a bad idea"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

maybe binance is doing this so they can claim all their money was chargedback'd and they've lost all their banking and they have to close sfyl

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Trump’s industry-friendly interior secretary has pivoted to blockchain

"There is some suspicion that blockchain does not really work," Zinke admits.

TIMOTHY B. LEE - 1/30/2019, 1:21 PM

The last two years pursuing an industry-friendly agenda as secretary of the interior. Then, last month, he announced his resignation under pressure from the White House. Now Zinke is joining the blockchain industry.

"There is some suspicion that blockchain does not really work," Zinke said in an interview with the Swiss news site swissinfo.ch. "We think it does and we want to showcase the utility and flexibility of the model."

Zinke has signed on with Artillery One, a new investment firm set up in 2017 by Wall Street financier Daniel Cannon. It's not clear what kind of investments the firm is making, but the company is reportedly working on a project in Kosovo.

Kosovo "is a good example of an emerging economy where blockchain, financial instruments and cyber security can combine to have a meaningful impact," Zinke said. "Proving the worth of the technology in the controlled environment of a small country is enormously important."

"I don’t think [blockchain] will replace nations, but it will create enormous opportunity for those who don’t have access to capital or accountability in emerging economies," Zinke added. "I feel confident it will lift up the underserved."

Blockchain boosters have long pointed to developing countries with dysfunctional financial systems as possible markets for blockchain technologies. But the idea has been slow to gain traction. Countries like Venezuela do seem to see rising bitcoin usage in times of crisis, but even in those countries bitcoin and other blockchain networks seem to account for a trivial share of economic activity.

Zinke doesn't see blockchain technologies limited to developing countries, however. He described the opportunities for using blockchain as "wide open." Another possible application he mentioned is "tracing cobalt through blockchain to make sure production isn’t being done using child labor." He also suggested that a similar model could work for tracking prescription drugs.

What value does a politician bring to a blockchain investing firm? "I bring leadership experience from being Secretary of the Interior at a 70,000-person organization, from Congress and from commanding a Navy SEAL team," Zinke said. He downplayed the significance of his political connections, arguing that the firm was already well-connected in Washington before he joined.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
finally an honest bitcoin cartoon:

and it uses the official bitcoin mascot

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Nenonen posted:

:vince:

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Nenonen posted:

what the gently caress is the. punchline supposed to be

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SRQ posted:

doges like buttes

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

SRQ posted:

the dog, in an effort to borrow two dollars, is trying to explain that the circus is in town

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

SRQ posted:

there are real people living in your town right now who really think that some time soon, everyone who said the right magic words will literally float up into the sky, and everyone else will be attacked by giant locusts with human faces and scorpion tails

expecting someone to pay a million dollars for a bitcoin is positively tame as religions go

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Soricidus posted:

there are real people living in your town right now who really think that some time soon, everyone who said the right magic words will literally float up into the sky, and everyone else will be attacked by giant locusts with human faces and scorpion tails

expecting someone to pay a million dollars for a bitcoin is positively tame as religions go

*me, floating into heaven*
Sfyl

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

divabot posted:

he totally died in December and the exchange and his new wife announced this in January and whoops there's no documentation that ANY OF THESE PEOPLE EXIST

but lads lads !! I found the Archive Server that Shows Sites A Week In The Future, and

quadrigacx is finnish???

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Wheany posted:

quadrigacx is finnish???

the b stands for bcash :3:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

divabot posted:

he totally died in December and the exchange and his new wife announced this in January and whoops there's no documentation that ANY OF THESE PEOPLE EXIST

but lads lads !! I found the Archive Server that Shows Sites A Week In The Future, and

Lol.
https://www.myinstants.com/instant/benis-64087/

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

so i get an email at work about a random piece of software getting updated as a heads up incase someone asks about it and oh boy the release notes for this was :eyepoop:

quote:

Release Notes for EVP 8.3:
With the release of EVP Office 8.3, EstateVal and the other applications in the industry's leading estate-tax valuation suite now have the ability to price over a dozen cryptocurrencies.
Cryptocurrencies were invented in 2010 with the released of Bitcoin, and since then, it and many others (including Litecoin and Ethereum and Monero) have gained international prominence. Through the technology and economics of "crypto" can be complicated, EstateVal makes actually valuing them for estate-tax purposes trivial.
When you have a portfolio that contains one of the crypto-coins that EstateVal prices, simply enter its ticker preceded by a hash symbol. For example, Bitcoin's ticker is "BTC," so you would enter #BTC into EstateVal's Identifier field. Then, you would enter the number of coins into the Shares field.
And that's it! When you run the evaluation, EstateVal will convert the number of "shares" of each cryptocurrency into the London 4:00pm spot-rate for the US dollar for the date of the evaluation.
The cryptocurrencies that EVP Office prices are:
• Bitcoin (#BTC)
• Litecoin (#LTC)
• Ethereum (#ETH)
• Ethereum Classic (#ETC)
• Zcash (#ZEC)
• Monero (#XMR)
• XRP (#XRP)
• Dash (#DASH)
• EOS (#EOS)
• Bitcoin Cash (#BCH)
• Qtum (#QTUM)
• 0x (#ZRX)
• Stellar (#XLM)
EVP Office 8.3 also includes the ability to merge portfolios, including their evaluation data; better handling of cut-and-pasting data from Excel into the GiftVal and CostBasis grid; more warnings of mis-entered data; and the addition of the National Day of Mourning for President George H. W. Bush as a market holiday

...!
Oct 5, 2003

LethalGeek posted:

so i get an email at work about a random piece of software getting updated as a heads up incase someone asks about it and oh boy the release notes for this was :eyepoop:

quit

...!
Oct 5, 2003

We live in surveillance states where the only escape is to use digital currencies. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 12 hours ago by b0nusmemeredditor for 3 months

It's a Tuesday and you're doing business online. You agree to send payment for services to an online platform or independent contractor because its 2018 and that's how business is these days. A transaction is made between two consenting entities. The transaction takes between 30 minutes and 7 days, and may not arrive at all. The system is down for maintenance. The transaction has been declined or cancelled. Business is stopped by a middle entity claiming they are watching out for your best interests. Payment Locked. Support ticket pending. It's Friday afternoon and work is moving slower than it should be. Staffing is reduced for the project period because payments are being analyzed by big brother.

What are you supposed to do?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

avoid surveillance by using the coin where transactions are posted online for all to see

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

LethalGeek posted:

what about dogcoin and bcash satoshi virus?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

it says so much about then that they think that's a scenario people would identify with

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 1, 2019

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Sedge and Bee posted:

it says so much about then that they ain't that's a scenario people would identify with

its literally happened to me trillions of times

...!
Oct 5, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/SpdBggy/status/1088495072579076096

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Boxturret posted:

its literally happened to me trillions of times

:right:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Nafasion 13 points 6 hours ago

Yup, I'm kinda happy with the bearmarket. My salary is raised because of it. It was ~0.15BTC a month and now it's 1BTC a month 🚀

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Soricidus posted:

yea but none of those people are certain enough to toxx their forums accounts over it

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

if any of these people got in rosses way he wouldn't hesitate to have them eliminated

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

im just a humble janitor. that poop is for the poor fuckers in that department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Boxturret posted:

if any of these people got in rosses way he wouldn't hesitate to have them eliminated

*and* their families