Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Wait, Etrian Odyssey is coming in a few days?

gently caress I don't have time for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Kinda funny today I was gonna be training for server stuff and now I’m on my way to a work location cuz they are short on IT staff. Least it force to me to take a break on KH3. I really have horrible problems when it comes to new games. When I binge I BiNGE. Clocked in already 20 hours in two days.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Sakurazuka posted:

I only like the base building part of RTS' so I haven't played one for years.

Same, which is why I'm getting into city builders like Tropico and Anno lately

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

I said come in! posted:

Another RTS I enjoyed was Dawn of War II because it didn't have base building. :P The multiplayer was awesome because it was basically just capturing and holding points on a map against your opponents. I enjoyed that, it felt unique for an RTS. I just wish it had more Warhammer 40,000 races. Dawn of War III was also super disappointing and sold poorly so post launch support was dropped quickly.

you should play man of war, it's cool and extremely cheap a lot of the time.

don't buy the sequels though cause most of them are awful

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Gaming this week made me feel old.

I booted up Overwatch for the first time since at least October. I can't keep up with it anymore. Usually I get my senses back after just an hour or two. Not this time. What's most interesting to me is I just don't care about getting better this time. I think the ship has sailed for competitive mp shooters.

Next I fired up Dark Souls and got to Ornsteim and Smough. I'm having more trouble besting them than I did back in 2011 when the game was new. I don't know that I have it in me to beat these two assholes. I'd really like to because I like the rest of the game outside this one dumb fight.

I think low stress single player games are the only games in my future. As such Wargroove and Tangledeep are both looking mightym good this morning.

what platform are you playing dark souls on? do you want any help?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the second and final game i finished in January was.... Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for the game boy color. it's pretty rough around the edges but it's also super cute and i ultimately had a good time with it. i did start the sequel last night tho and it seems better in every way almost immediately

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

There should be a couple of small side ports just to the west of New Winchester (at least they were to the west in my game), one for the Stovepipes and another for the Tacketies, that’s where you turn port reports in

Thanks I must have just missed it. I'll putter around Winchester looking for it. Since the maps are circular, I suspect the randomness in the map comes from rotating rather than rearranging like it did in sunless sea.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Looper posted:

what platform are you playing dark souls on? do you want any help?

I'm playing on Switch. Running a pyro + claymore build currently. I'm not one to turn down help. I probably will have time this weekend.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm playing on Switch. Running a pyro + claymore build currently. I'm not one to turn down help. I probably will have time this weekend.

I'll have to double-check when i get home but I'm fairly certain i stopped my switch run with o&s so i should be in the perfect place to help!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Relax Or DIE posted:

all i've heard about EON is that it's apparently real loving long, which actually might keep me from picking it up

On the plus side the Eterian Odyssey series is pretty straight forward. What has mostly kept me from enjoying that series, despite buying three of the games, is that they are brutally hard even on the easiest difficult settings. It's also possible to create totally worthless team compositions that can't advance without realizing it until it's too late.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Relax Or DIE posted:

all i've heard about EON is that it's apparently real loving long, which actually might keep me from picking it up
how is that different from any of the other EOs

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

would you say EON takes... eons...

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Welp, EDF 4.1 is in the new Humble Monthly. I've managed to avoid playing one of those games thus far, but I guess it's finally time for me to strap on my bug-stomping shoes.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

edf's always been a game series on the fringe of my perception. it's kind of like a goofy pve third person shooter along the lines of a just cause 2 or perhaps an attenuated saints row?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's not all that fun to play alone, possibly excluding the wing diver.

Though playing as the wing diver may be better than Anthem.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 1, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

edf's always been a game series on the fringe of my perception. it's kind of like a goofy pve third person shooter along the lines of a just cause 2 or perhaps an attenuated saints row?

think more dynasty warriors with giant ants and assault rifles

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

think more dynasty warriors with giant ants and assault rifles completely loving ludicrous weaponry

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its nothing like dynasty warriors except for the numbers of enemies. Its load into map, kill.

No objectives, no defense. Its classic arcade robotron poo poo all grown up

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I took a lifespan studies course last semester in college that taught me all about the horrors of aging and filled me with all sorts of terrible thoughts.

But you know what the cool thing about gaming is? Aging honestly barely matters. The slight decline that occurs in reflexes after yours 20s really isn't a huge deal. People make it out to be a way bigger issue than it is. What going from your 20s to your 30s does is a steep decline in your bodies ability to recuperate from injuries quickly. Physical abuse becomes a much more serious problem. But uh, gamers don't really go through much in the way of physical stress.

Ya'll don't need to worry about being bad at games because you're old; you're just bad at games because you suck (and have less time to play them probably). Now, when you start passing 60 and the horror of Alzehimer's surface, then you can lament your dwindling gaming prowess. Of course everything in your life is going to be turning worse while you slowly creep towards the inescapable clutch of death, feeling your body and brain deteriorate beyond your control!

:regd09:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
look at the news re: climate change, very few of us thirtysomethings will make it to 60 and the ones who do will envy the dead

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm way fitter now in my 30s than in my 20s and it's loving awesome.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

look at the news re: climate change, very few of us thirtysomethings will make it to 60 and the ones who do will envy the dead

As long as the leather chaps and fetishwear stocks hold and the local humungus doesn't push too hard on the twowheel tribe for more blackwater I think it'll be alright

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Internet Kraken posted:

Physical abuse becomes a much more serious problem. But uh, gamers don't really go through much in the way of physical stress.

https://twitter.com/kotaku/status/621819040596541442

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Internet Kraken posted:

I took a lifespan studies course last semester in college that taught me all about the horrors of aging and filled me with all sorts of terrible thoughts.

But you know what the cool thing about gaming is? Aging honestly barely matters. The slight decline that occurs in reflexes after yours 20s really isn't a huge deal. People make it out to be a way bigger issue than it is. What going from your 20s to your 30s does is a steep decline in your bodies ability to recuperate from injuries quickly. Physical abuse becomes a much more serious problem. But uh, gamers don't really go through much in the way of physical stress.

Ya'll don't need to worry about being bad at games because you're old; you're just bad at games because you suck (and have less time to play them probably). Now, when you start passing 60 and the horror of Alzehimer's surface, then you can lament your dwindling gaming prowess. Of course everything in your life is going to be turning worse while you slowly creep towards the inescapable clutch of death, feeling your body and brain deteriorate beyond your control!

repetitive stress injuries are no joke

I've noticed since I've gotten into my late 20s that my thumbs tend to ache if I play for more than a couple hours. I assume it's only gonna get worse.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am currently playing Pokemon Let's Go and MTGA a bunch so I don't know if I have time for another game, but...

Should I do it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am currently playing Pokemon Let's Go and MTGA a bunch so I don't know if I have time for another game, but...

Should I do it

Those are pro tier sprites.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Should I do it

learning that it isn't just one army with a dog unit has exponentially increased my interest

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dog is one of the basic units every army gets. Though one of the armies has a dog who is a commander, making them the best army.

Also unlike every other enemy type, when a dog unit gets damaged/defeated, they run away instead of dying, because Chucklefish wisely knew that their game would be a huge bummer if you were always killing dogs and watching your dogs get killed. :hai:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

i kind of assume arthritis and similar stuff will be the main gamer ailment. and my dad used to love playing snes games with me but had to stop with the n64 because 3d games gave him awful headaches. already i can barely make it through seeing a movie in a theater without my head breaking open so I'm not looking forward to that later in life

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

boycott wargroove until they patch in cats

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Just remembered that I got Company of Heroes 2 for free on some steam offer, time to see if this RTS is worth a poo poo

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Help Im Alive posted:

boycott wargroove until they patch in cats

you're goddamn right

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Oh you definitely can gently caress up your body playing games too much, but the point is just playing casually like 99% of us do isn't gonna be an issue. Whereas one casual match of contact football can result in serious injury, though that's true regardless of age.

What I'm saying is as far as hobbies go, gaming is a pretty good one to have and be able to do for most of your life.

exquisite tea posted:

I'm way fitter now in my 30s than in my 20s and it's loving awesome.

You can be fit and active for almost your entire life! The 20s are just when the body is at its peak performance for physical activities, and as you grow into the later 30s you really need to be more careful about injury since your ability to recuperate drops off. There are even elderly people who are still really active in certain ways, though that has a lot to do with genetic lottery in addition to how you take care of yourself.

I don't like thinking about this stuff but taking that class kind of forced me to. Sometimes I woder how I'll face aging since even in my 20s I'm not nearly as fit as I should be. But then I remember stuff like this;

Oxxidation posted:

And the crushing weight of the dreadful future snowballs into an overwhelming force of despair that makes me wanna crawl into bed and cry a bit.

....how bout them video games?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

And the crushing weight of the dreadful future snowballs into an overwhelming force of despair that makes me wanna crawl into bed and cry a bit.

....how bout them video games?

https://twitter.com/kotaku_uk/status/1064949070769344513

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
A few days I exhausted myself trying to convince someone climate change is a real threat. Their main arguement was "all the temperature readings are collected at airport runway tarmacs from thermometers that are in the sun all the time. Also how can you even average global temperature?"

It's extra frustrating for me cause I'm a geologist and this all makes perfect sense to me. But you know what isn't my area of expertise? Automobile mechanics. Health science. Etc. I don't argue with my mechanic or doctor. When did we discount experts and their knowledge?

It's not my fault that you don't understand isotope geochemistry, but why can't you believe me when I say it's real?

HOW ABOUT THEM VIDEO GAMES?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if global warming is real then why do I have four inches of snow outside? checkmate

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

It's extra frustrating for me cause I'm a geologist and this all makes perfect sense to me. But you know what isn't my area of expertise? Automobile mechanics. Health science. Etc. I don't argue with my mechanic or doctor. When did we discount experts and their knowledge?

because they threaten business' bottom lines

also i already deleted it from this quote but lmao at that guy's argument

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Looper posted:

also i already deleted it from this quote but lmao at that guy's argument

I wanted to eye roll into last week.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's also a huge disconnect between "we should do something" in the abstract and agreeing to any specific action. There's a lot of people who in principle aren't deniers but oppose any actual course of action to do something. Which is possibly even more infuriating (though definitely less harmful)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Why should I care about the future I won't be alive then