Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

:zaeed:

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

It's cool to end up with the gun room though.

Are you sure it's even legal to shoot inside these days (in town I'm assuming since you wanted to move closer)? We live in an unincorporated area so it's legal to shoot outside anyway, the neighbors just get really pissed, but I can't imagine that'd be legal even inside in a proper city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Craptacular posted:

There's a guy near me who has a transferable Stoner 63, and it's worth about as much as my house. (Admittedly housing is relatively cheap here and my house isn't especially nice or big.)

Machineguns do go down in value occasionally, but usually not that much, and not for that long. http://www.machinegunpriceguide.com/html/price_guides.html
Yeah I know prices fluctuate with the economy generally but over the long term they don't go down.

E: That said a law could render them worthless.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you have a $100k gun and your net worth is less than like $2M or more then it's BWM because you are not adequately diversified in your portfolio.

Which leads me to the TFF meets BFC question of: what percentage of a well-diversified investment portfolio should be in firearms and firearm accessories? Let's assume an American, early 40s, aiming to retire at 65, with normal social security, and a homeowner with a $200k mortgage, which we'll exclude from the portfolio for simplicity's sake.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

If you have a $100k gun and your net worth is less than like $2M or more then it's BWM because you are not adequately diversified in your portfolio.

Which leads me to the TFF meets BFC question of: what percentage of a well-diversified investment portfolio should be in firearms and firearm accessories? Let's assume an American, early 40s, aiming to retire at 65, with normal social security, and a homeowner with a $200k mortgage, which we'll exclude from the portfolio for simplicity's sake.
I'd say 5.56% is a pretty good one.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

At a minimum I'd say a crate of Mosins and 2 ARs.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Whatever exposure your VTSAX gives you to AOBC, RGR, and VSTO is plenty of financial exposure.

Physical guns, as with physical gold and your primary residence, should not be considered part of your investment portfolio and should be held based on your personal needs and financial abilities.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Whatever exposure your VTSAX gives you to AOBC, RGR, and VSTO is plenty of financial exposure.

Physical guns, as with physical gold and your primary residence, should not be considered part of your investment portfolio and should be held based on your personal needs and financial abilities.
Booooooooo! Boo, I say!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Miso Beno posted:

Do you live in Washington State?

Ugh if you only lived in the northeast.

I need a beater.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Anyone in their early 40's who's counting on social security being anything more than an incidental part of their retirement strategy just needs one firearm and one bullet.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Ah yes, the extremely lengthy 10 year timeline.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

Hoodwinker posted:

Ah yes, the extremely lengthy 10 year timeline.
Things got real interesting in 1986

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Look at that chart using the Dow as its representation of the market

Craptacular posted:

Anyone in their early 40's who's counting on social security being anything more than an incidental part of their retirement strategy just needs one firearm and one bullet.

Social security's impending "insolvency" is not a day when it suddenly cannot pay out a single penny to anyone. It's better to treat it like an annuity and factor it into your retirement income requirements, and if you're certain that the government won't do anything to keep it solvent such as increasing the retirement age or capping payouts to the rich, then you can simply project its shortfall to your retirement age and discount your calculated payouts by that projected amount.

Motronic posted:

At a minimum I'd say a crate of Mosins and 2 ARs.

Thank you but that is not a percentage, sir

Hoodwinker posted:

I'd say 5.56% is a pretty good one.

Perfect

This will supplement my 2.1% proportion of comic books and 18.7% proportion of antique woodworking tools nicely

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

Sten Freak posted:

Things got real interesting in 1986

What’s the inflation adjusted ROI on a $201 investment in 1985 that’s now worth $20,000+?

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice
My old MG dealer had an investor who bought crates of M11s and left him in the dealer's inventory to sell once they appreciated enough. This was when they were worth about $4k each.

That graph is from here. I was trying to find the Wall St article on MG investors but can't find it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-04-05/how-one-man-got-rich-buying-and-selling-machine-guns-in-america

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The tricky part about buying things that will go up 1,000% in value is that you have to buy them before they go up 1,000% in value, and also sell them before they plummet again.

Machine Guns are Bitcoins change my mind

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
my dude, did you consider the internet graph?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I want to hear stories about what I assume was the great pmag crash of Dec ‘16. I got into shooting just before Obamageddon so I’m curious what happened when everybody stocked up in anticipation of HRC being elected only to find themselves buried in a surplus of bolt control groups and small rifle primers.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 17, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

sadus posted:

:zaeed:

Are you sure it's even legal to shoot inside these days (in town I'm assuming since you wanted to move closer)? We live in an unincorporated area so it's legal to shoot outside anyway, the neighbors just get really pissed, but I can't imagine that'd be legal even inside in a proper city.

Yeah, I'm across the street from the city limits.

Plus. Montana.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Easychair Bootson posted:

I want to hear stories about what I assume was the great pmag crash of Dec ‘16. I got into shooting just before Obamageddon so I’m curious what happened when everybody stocked up in anticipation of HRC being elected only to find themselves buried in a surplus of bolt control groups and small rifle primers.

I stockpiled ammo long before the obamageddon and was able to rely on that reserve to keep shooting during the bad times. If stored correctly, ammo has a long shelf life so using a reserve to smooth out periods of scarcity worked out nicely for me.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Pmags have been so consistently mass-produced since Sandy Hook that it's been utterly impossible to run out of them. You'd have to buy Magpul itself to get a controlling share of the Pmag supply. Everybody stocked up before the 2016 election, yes, but the shelves remained full of them too.

At worst I'd say they went from $13/mag in Fall 2016 to the current $9/mag

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

After the crash happened, I bought a new Barrett M82A1 for the cheapest price I've seen before or since :q:

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The tricky part about buying things that will go up 1,000% in value is that you have to buy them before they go up 1,000% in value, and also sell them before they plummet again.

Well they do have the fixed number only getting smaller aspect....

They're fun. I'd ask yourself if bitcoins are fun.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

In ~1990 a bunch of news articles were run about how rare comic books from the 1950s were selling for half a million dollars and that moment both massively spawned and simultaneously, ironically killed the comic book collecting market. Because every comic book from every issuer, indie and mainstream, from then on was bagged and boarded in pristine mint condition by ten million hopeful nerds forever more. The only issues that gained significant value afterwards were due to artificial scarcity or effective marketing campaigns.

The trick, as with bitcoins and presumably machine guns, is to be lucky enough to anticipate the trend before everyone else does; and this is really entirely luck and not at all skill.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Leperflesh posted:

anticipate the trend before everyone else does;

This is why, any time people tell you "it's a dumb idea to buy _____", you know you just might be striking gold!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Today I learned that someone I graduated high school with, who had managed to get a pretty decent career with the city and was planning to retire after putting in 20 years at the fire department, was just arrested for ordering a child to the ground at gunpoint because the 12 year old boy scout happened to place a flyer on his screen door handle. :lol:

Fire chief charged with pulling gun on Boy Scout who had placed flyer on South Whitehall home

quote:

The fire chief for Woodlawn Fire Company in South Whitehall was recently charged with pulling a gun on a 12-year-old Boy Scout who had placed a flyer for a food drive on the door of his home, according to court records.

According to a criminal complaint, James R. Kutz, 39, told police he believed the boy was attempting to enter his home on Nov. 4. South Whitehall police spoke to the boy and another Scout who both said a man, later identified as Kutz, followed the boy to another home, pulled a gun and ordered the boy to the ground, court records show.

Kutz, who is also a captain with the Allentown Fire Department, was charged on Jan. 11 with simple assault and harassment. He was arraigned by District Judge Jacob Hammond and released on $25,000 unsecured bail.

About to get real BWM (for him) because apparently, his wife called the cops and lied to them :v: Although it'll be real GMW for his lawyer, I'm sure.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Allocate what your risk tolerance and appetite for illiquid investment vehicles allows to machine guns, but if your portfolio contains and Machine Gun Kelly merchandise at all it is too much.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

JRay88 posted:

What’s the inflation adjusted ROI on a $201 investment in 1985 that’s now worth $20,000+?

Annualizes to about 12%

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Murderball posted:

Whole-life insurance of cars: Tesla (honorable mention: 90k truck)

The Tesla doesn’t require enough ongoing maintenance to be the carwholelife. We’re looking at a 10 year old used BMW 7 series or a mid 90s Porsche. Something that whether you use it well or not will gladly suck you dry.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I bought a few lovely tapco mags on black friday sale. I guess the dealer oversold or something because when I opened the package it had pmags in it. Instant 100% return, come at me thread.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Sten Freak posted:

Well they do have the fixed number only getting smaller aspect....

They're fun. I'd ask yourself if bitcoins are fun.
Bitcoins are fun to watch other people gently caress themselves over with. Does that count?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Bitcoiners are actually loving over everyone who lives on this particular planet, though

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Craptacular posted:

Social security isn't going away. Just by removing the payroll cap for SS tax would keep it fully funded to give the same payouts as it does today. If absolutely nothing is done then payouts or retirement age will need to change but if age stays the same the payout will still be 2/3 of what it is today. And that's assuming that we keep it self funded versus borrowing to fund it.

The only reason nothing would be done is people who assume it will be gone when they retire. Which just so happens to be a right wing talking point since forever. Don't believe the lies.

Also keep in mind that a huge portion of the federal debt is in the form of IOUs to the SS trust. Funny how congress will raid the SS trust running up the debt on paper then use that run up to argue we need to cut programs.

Edit: The payout apparently will be about 77% of what it is now assuming the trust fund is allowed to be exhausted and the payroll tax cap isn't raised/eliminated. Read more here

Raldikuk fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 2, 2019

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Medicare, on the other hand,

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Bitcoiners are actually loving over everyone who lives on this particular planet, though

I know, right? The prices people charge for video cards are out of control.

If derails brought this thread to TFR, y'all might want to settle in for the long haul. Cumulatively, we have the attention span of a gold fish.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 17, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

madeintaipei posted:

I know, right? The prices people charge for video cards are out of control.

If derails brought this thread to TFR, y'all might want to settle in for the long haul. Cumulatively, we have the attention span of a gold fish.

Fish?

https://i.imgur.com/jN0XIR6.mp4

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yall done anything bad with money lately? Bought a Chiappa Rhino? Started shooting anything in 5.7?

Son, I never stopped! Actually besides being BWM in general as 5.7, the real problem is that I initially night ammo in bulk for a decent discount off retail. Then I reupped with another purchase just after a shortage ended and in theory saved a lot of money compared to shortage prices when I resigned what I had. Except by that point I was rarely going to the range anymore...

AND eventually another manufacturer or two entered the space and the retail price fell below my bulk price. So now my sunken cost stock of maybe 800 rounds left of 5.7 stings a little. But my PS90* is still my favorite to shoot.

I obviously spend most of my forums time in BFC now, but I'll relish the TFR move to give this thread a little self-posting love.

* did I mention I decided to get the gun based on how much I enjoyed using it at a tourist shooting range during a Vegas trip? A BWM city, no doubt.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Guest2553 posted:

I bought a few lovely tapco mags on black friday sale. I guess the dealer oversold or something because when I opened the package it had pmags in it. Instant 100% return, come at me thread.

I got one of those CMP M1’s when the getting was still good.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

I got one of those CMP M1’s when the getting was still good.

M1 Garand or M1 Carbine? I'm thinking about adding another M1 Garand to the stable since I dont think I got picked for a 1911.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Since I'm not allowed to self post, my hunting partner is BWM for going out for deer the last two years and only coming back with grouse. I calculated his cost at about $500/lb for the privilege of shooting our food rather than buying a chicken at the store for $5.

You can extrapolate how much it cost me.