Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Heads up (unless this is old news), but HBO is putting the next episode up early:
https://tvline.com/2019/01/30/true-detective-streaming-early-super-bowl-sunday/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Quasipox posted:

Heads up (unless this is old news), but HBO is putting the next episode up early:

:fry:

New ep on Friday!? :wom:

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Quasipox posted:

gently caress. Yes. :rock:

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Huh. I wonder if I have to go to HBO Go or if I can just watch it through my Amazon/HBO subscription.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

That's a lot of accidentally killing innocent people for the main character of a season of True Detective.

I only mentioned 1 killing caused by the main character (the uncle) and it wasn't accidental, it was on purpose but he had the wrong suspect. The accidental death of the boy has nothing to do with the main character. Clearly somewhere in timeline 1 or 2, main detective hosed up, and he also seems to have stuff in his past that's hidden/not recorded in police reports, so I don't think this is that unbelievable.

But yeah it's a far fetched theory, they haven't given us enough info yet IMO to come up with an accurate theory. 1st season was the same really, killer was only obvious after they got that painter evidence near the end of the season. Did they even reveal anything in the 2nd season? Some guy with a bird mask killed someone, and mexicans killed Vince Vaughan? What a poo poo-show, literally.

Basebf555 posted:

I don't buy that the dad was doing anything wrong, maybe it's just great casting and I want to trust Scott McNairy, but I'm just not getting that feeling that we're gonna get a reveal that he's an abuser.

It is a good point, he doesn't come across as an abuser, especially given his mental health/alcoholic rehabilitation using the partner's help. But that begs the question if uncle was abuser, and murdered, why are they revisiting the case? Maybe he was abuser but not murderer?

I read some theories that the wife did it, but that sounds dumb to me. But maybe she uncovered evidence that made main detective guy do some under the table investigation/vigilante justice in 1990.

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 31, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rabid Snake posted:

The picture of Roland with Bill Clinton lol I forgot this was set in Arkansas

That was a great touch

It would be hilarious if this show took pizzagate seriously, like AHS Cult

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Ornithology posted:

I read some theories that the wife did it, but that sounds dumb to me.

imo if the season doesn't end with the reveal that the wife did it then the whole show is trash

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

CornHolio posted:

I kind of wonder if it isn't a whole bunch of unrelated crimes that happened at the same time. The kids got split up, she got kidnapped, he got murdered, the uncle is a pedo and the dad knew.

Could be. I remember reading about a case where a girl disappeared, later that day her brother went out looking for her on his bike and he also disappeared. Either the person responsible is insanely brazen or it's a hell of a coincidence.

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012
My take:
The mystery is never solved as to what happened that day, this season is all about persecution of ppl who didn't do the crime, yet are blamed for it.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

romanowski posted:

imo if the season doesn't end with the reveal that the wife did it then the whole show is trash

also the wife is Nyarlathotep

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tehdas posted:

My take:
The mystery is never solved as to what happened that day, this season is all about persecution of ppl who didn't do the crime, yet are blamed for it.

I wish I had that much faith in the show to think that could be a possibility.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I mean, if we're going that tinfoil has anybody floated the idea that Elisa, the documentarian is actually Julie Purcell?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

mary had a little clam posted:

also the wife is Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep is male, wife would have to be Shub-Niggurath.

Wait a minute... Nyarlathotep and Shub-Niggurath are both described as being dark-skinned... it fits!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I mean, if we're going that tinfoil has anybody floated the idea that Elisa, the documentarian is actually Julie Purcell?

That thought has definitely crossed my mind.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Hays has had (an apparent) confirmed sighting of her general shape on the cctv though? Suppose they could match

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
For the age that Julie should be in 2015, Elisa is far more likely her daughter.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

bloom posted:

Losing an eye doesn't really seem like a typical industrial injury.

I rewatched the 1980 parts of the episode, and at one point Hoyt says:

"How 'bout workplace injuries going back 40 years? Anybody lost an eye, black male, Washington and surrounding counties. Any priors from that list of employees at the food plant where the mother worked? Cross-reference with workplace injuries."

I was a little off on who mentioned looking for the possibility of more than one black man with a cloudy eye, but it was in there.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I thought that inititally, but it seems like a pretty hokey angle to go for.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If we assume for a second that this is gonna end up being a complete rehash of Season 1(I'm not convinced of that yet, but for the sake of discussion), have there been any fly-by characters that seem like they could be a repeat of what they did with Childress in Season 1? Like a momentary encounter that shows us the killer but comes and goes so quickly that it would be easy to miss?

I can't think of any off the top of my head but it would probably require rewatching each episode. I certainly didn't pick out random dude on a lawnmower as the killer when I first saw the episode in Season 1(although I know some people did).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The picture of Bill Clinton wasn't a cute easter egg, it was our first look at the killer

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
My fiance is convinced that Detective West and Mr Purcell are gonna(already did) hook up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sgt. Politeness posted:

My fiance is convinced that Detective West and Mr Purcell are gonna(already did) hook up.

Well that would certainly be unexpected

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Would it? Or have they been telegraphing it this whole time?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I could see that.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Supposedly episode 5 is going to be released on HBO Now and HBO Go at 2/1 6am EST.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtUlVnjALuE/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=127tinlzx7g3x

So in 5 hours. Wow I didn’t expect that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hell yeah, I'm glad I work third shift so I'd be up at 6 anyway and I'm off tonight and have plenty of good rear end weed :f5:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Fffffuck I don't want to stay up to watch.

Also, that picture in the OP about scoot, what's that from? That hasn't happened yet, has it?

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
He looks 20 years younger than he did in the 80s lol

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Episode 5 is good. Going for emotion in this season.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mike N Eich posted:

It's definitely not completely incompetent like season 2 but it feels....boring? You can't get 4 episodes into a season and have basically nothing happen. Mahershala Ali is acting his pants off but there just isn't much going on.

Around this point in season 1 they had that long take in the stash house robbery and were covering up the murders of the two satanist guys right? It didn't go this slowly.

this is why i keep being a big baby about shows not dropping seasons all at once. better call saul is the best show on tv but it works WAY better when you can binge it. it's too slow otherwise. it's not like these are sitcoms where each episode is self contained.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

For all the somewhat understandable scepticism about the shoot out people had last week, I think they'll be quite happy with what we got.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Gorn Myson posted:

For all the somewhat understandable scepticism about the shoot out people had last week, I think they'll be quite happy with what we got.

I am going to hold you to that.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Sgt. Politeness posted:

In the 1990 scene where West checks in on him and he mentions he’s been sober for 5 years it definitely felt like there was a lot of history, warmth, and respect between the two men, but imo if it was revealed that they were lovers that would kind of sour it for me. It seems to me that it’s increasingly rare to see a mutual bond of friendship unfold in fiction without an underlying note of “Oh they tryna gently caress”.

Personally I really like the characterization of West that he just took pity on this man and felt compelled to try to help him un-gently caress his life, not out of an attraction or anything, but simply as an act of good will and trying to be genuinely supportive and helpful to this man when he needs it the most.

But like another said up thread, I wouldn’t necessarily be surprised if it happened because there was definitely a bond of some sort between those two in 1990.

E: should probably mention that I have not seen the latest episode at this point.

timp fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 1, 2019

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Man, this thread is on par with some of the :lost: threads back in the day.

Anyways solid episode. Hoping we get some kind of long shot scene similar to the one from episode 4 of season 1.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

timp posted:

In the 1990 scene where West checks in on him and he mentions he’s been sober for 5 years it definitely felt like there was a lot of history, warmth, and respect between the two men, but imo if it was revealed that they were lovers that would kind of sour it for me. It seems to me that it’s increasingly rare to see a mutual bond of friendship unfold in fiction without an underlying note of “Oh they tryna gently caress”.

Personally I really like the characterization of West that he just took pity on this man and felt compelled to try to help him un-gently caress his life, not out of an attraction or anything, but simply as an act of good will and trying to be genuinely supportive and helpful to this man when he needs it the most.

But like another said up thread, I wouldn’t necessarily be surprised if it happened because there was definitely a bond of some sort between those two in 1990.

E: should probably mention that I have not seen the latest episode at this point.

The 80s version is very insistent on his own heterosexuality and how much he desires sex with a woman and how men who do not desire that are weird and untrustworthy.

But it would be nice if 1990 Dorf was just a good dude who matured and helps others.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Man this teasing every episode of what Hays and West did in 1990 is killing me

Also when they played the phone call tape I immediately assumed they were setting up a twist where she was actually talking about the Attorney General, not Scoot

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Without catching up on the thread yet, just gotta say those first two episodes are excellent. Really grabs you, for me this show is right back on top baby! Can't wait to see how this season plays out.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
This episode was loving great. Team stirring poo poo up could be amazing.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I saw the early airing of ep5. I now hope this show goes all Bubba Ho-tep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Little Man is the most adorable little doggie.