Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam
If I get a ds418play, can you configure it in such a way that "if a file is using a specific audio codec, transcode the audio to codec B instead, otherwise don't touch the file (you know like ffmpeg's -video copy)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's going to come down to whatever software you run on it to do that actual media sharing/ transcoding.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Laserface posted:

Anyone? Trying to determine how I can confirm a disk issue - can I pull one disk out and see if it goes away?

5% free plus rotational disks is going to generate a ton of thrash as it tries to find available stripes to store your data. You need to resolve this before you start mucking with disks. Basically you wind up converting what your NAS has attempted to keep as sequential reads (HDD's are awesome at this) into purely random (SSD's are awesome at this).

You may also have bad disks, or your super long io times could be causing phantom issues, even with counters going up.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

H110Hawk posted:

5% free plus rotational disks is going to generate a ton of thrash as it tries to find available stripes to store your data. You need to resolve this before you start mucking with disks. Basically you wind up converting what your NAS has attempted to keep as sequential reads (HDD's are awesome at this) into purely random (SSD's are awesome at this).

You may also have bad disks, or your super long io times could be causing phantom issues, even with counters going up.

Can't you just run a smart test?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ILikeVoltron posted:

Can't you just run a smart test?

Running the long or short SMART diagnostics will tell you if the drive encounters disk surface issues but won't tell you if there's something wrong with the data on your drive, i.e. if the extremely low free space is indeed the cause of the performance issue.

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's going to come down to whatever software you run on it to do that actual media sharing/ transcoding.

Yeah that's basically what I was asking, if there are synology packages that support this kind of configuration or if I have to come up with something myself

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

busfahrer posted:

Yeah that's basically what I was asking, if there are synology packages that support this kind of configuration or if I have to come up with something myself

This is up to the software you run (e.g. Plex) and your playback device. Your synology just adds capabilities to do those things in hardware. It sounds like you want something that "just always works or I will throw it across the room." In that case I would suggest a shield and a cheaper synology.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

busfahrer posted:

As far as I know Plex runs on Synology, and it does that - with properly configured media and players, it will just stream the video as-is, instead of doing any transcoding on the server end.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
well, it has Been Decided that the white case of the DS218j is Too White for the rest of my all-black A/V rack.

is there any reason to get the DS218play over the DS218+? apparently the play has an ARM plus a hardware encoder that allows it to transcode 4k @60fps while the Plus is x86 but can only transcode 4k @30fps. with only $20 between the two, the plus seems like the more powerful unit, as how often am i gonna need to transcode 4k@60fps?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

TenementFunster posted:

well, it has Been Decided that the white case of the DS218j is Too White for the rest of my all-black A/V rack.

is there any reason to get the DS218play over the DS218+? apparently the play has an ARM plus a hardware encoder that allows it to transcode 4k @60fps while the Plus is x86 but can only transcode 4k @30fps. with only $20 between the two, the plus seems like the more powerful unit, as how often am i gonna need to transcode 4k@60fps?

Vinyl wrap it!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Pulled the trigger on a Lenovo TS430, used, CAD$205 delivered to the door. Way too good a deal to pass up, even if it's used and scuffed, I'll be hiding it in a ventilated ikea besta.

Time to get serious about buying more actual drives. Let the EasyStores know I'll be coming for them with a screwdriver and murder in my eyes for the enclosures.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Heners_UK posted:

Pulled the trigger on a Lenovo TS430, used, CAD$205 delivered to the door. Way too good a deal to pass up, even if it's used and scuffed, I'll be hiding it in a ventilated ikea besta.

Time to get serious about buying more actual drives. Let the EasyStores know I'll be coming for them with a screwdriver and murder in my eyes for the enclosures.

Where’d you get that, sweet deal and I’m always on the lookout for good :canada: options for hardware.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

priznat posted:

Where’d you get that, sweet deal and I’m always on the lookout for good :canada: options for hardware.

Haha, I was about to link one I found on ebay.ca for $145CAD, then I saw it had $749 shipping. Ouch.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Volguus posted:

Haha, I was about to link one I found on ebay.ca for $145CAD, then I saw it had $749 shipping. Ouch.

It's offering me those as "customers also purchased". Must be nice to have the seller personally fly it out to you from wherever they are.

The trick here was watching eBay and knowing what you are looking for in advance (i.e. research what might work beforehand). In this case I saw the Lenovo ThinkServer TS430 name, knew that it was a decent range of servers for home server usage, googled the Xeon E1220 v2 and decided it would do the trick (you'll always want the next model up than the one you're offered, but I looked past it here). Decided the RAM was enough to get started with and I can add it later. Eating $55 shipping sucked but there was nothing I or the seller could do about it. Paid through eBay + PayPal for all the buyer protection I could get. From discovery to purchase it was about 30 minutes of research to be absolutely sure.

EDIT: That ludicrous $750 shipping listing is only USD$30 shipping if you send it within the US, e.g. to a receiving company.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 31, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Project DS4243 is a success:

pre:
  pool: tank
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices is currently being resilvered.  The pool will
        continue to function, possibly in a degraded state.
action: Wait for the resilver to complete.
  scan: resilver in progress since Thu Jan 31 11:28:41 2019
        8.97T scanned out of 44.3T at 849M/s, 12h6m to go
        469G resilvered, 20.26% done
config:

NAME						STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank      					ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-0					ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-HGST_HUH728080ALE604			ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-1                     			ONLINE       0     0     0
            replacing-0                			ONLINE       0     0     0
              ata-TOSHIBA_HDWE150			ONLINE       0     0     0
              ata-WDC_WD100EMAZ-00WJTA0			ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
            ata-TOSHIBA_HDWE150				ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-2                     			ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD			ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-3                     			ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
Added my old 3TB drives back in since I'm no longer drive-count constrained, going to swap the 5TB Toshibas for 10TB shucked WDs, then re-add the 5TB, in an effort to not have one vdev completely full. Have one spare 3TB drive already slotted in, and still have 11+ drive bays to play with.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 31, 2019

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

sharkytm posted:

Vinyl wrap it!
haha I actually considered that, but found out the 218j is pretty hampered by what it can run in plex. I don't want to convert my entire media library to a plex-friendly directplay format. the DS218+ came in a few hours ago, and I'm amazed at how much of my desktop this will be able to replace. it's basically a super-tiny HTPC, and anything it doesn't do easily, my smart TV will. NAS tech has come a long drat way since my DNS-321. plus, it's WAY quieter than my old DNS-321.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
A week or two back I asked about repurposing my old computer as a nas. However now that I’ve come up with other things to run on a mini server I’m wondering if just getting a synology is the way to go.

Could I run unifi controller and home assistant on Synology? If so what model? Would this end up being less janitoring than doing it myself?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Project DS4243 is a success:

That looks amazing. I have a general question about this kind of hardware: can you connect it via SAS to any PCIe SAS card that you put in a normal computer or does it have to be netapp? After that do you just "see" the drives on your machine ready to be used?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Red_Fred posted:

A week or two back I asked about repurposing my old computer as a nas. However now that I’ve come up with other things to run on a mini server I’m wondering if just getting a synology is the way to go.

Could I run unifi controller and home assistant on Synology? If so what model? Would this end up being less janitoring than doing it myself?

i'm just playing with my brand new DS218+ right now, and there is a TON of stuff you can run on this thing, either through the Docker app or direct through the Synology Package Center using community repos. There are unifi and home assistant apps on each. These things are sneaky useful, and the community is very helpful at wringing all the usefulness you can get out of the hardware. This is probably a dumb comparison (but i'm dumb) but it reminds me a lot of the old iphone Jailbreak days.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

TenementFunster posted:

i'm just playing with my brand new DS218+ right now, and there is a TON of stuff you can run on this thing, either through the Docker app or direct through the Synology Package Center using community repos. There are unifi and home assistant apps on each. These things are sneaky useful, and the community is very helpful at wringing all the usefulness you can get out of the hardware. This is probably a dumb comparison (but i'm dumb) but it reminds me a lot of the old iphone Jailbreak days.

Awesome! Is the DS218+ the best basic consumer model? I don’t need heaps of storage space or anything as the NAS is really just for a computer and laptop backups.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Volguus posted:

That looks amazing. I have a general question about this kind of hardware: can you connect it via SAS to any PCIe SAS card that you put in a normal computer or does it have to be netapp? After that do you just "see" the drives on your machine ready to be used?

Yeah, there's a few different ways to hook these up. One important thing to know is that these are actually made by Xyratex, who also makes directly related units for other companies (Dell Compellent, StorSimple, and LaCie at the very least) and it seems that you can swap these parts out without any concern for which model you're using, except that they need to match. Netapp is just the most prolific of these by far, and the DS4243/DS4246 are getting fairly old by datacenter standards. The only other possible issue is the date of the backplane - I think it needs to be either at least 2008 or 2010 (silkscreened on the PCB) to support 6Gbps SAS controllers.

There's three ways you could hook up a DS4243/4246 to a non-Netapp server:
1) Get a Netapp HBA with QSFP external interfaces, and run QSFP-QSFP cables between the server and the controller. Downside is that the Netapp HBA has no Windows drivers available at all, and it seems like it can be fickle in general if it's not in a Netapp device / on a Netapp operating system.
2) Get any standard SAS HBA that gives you a SFF8088 external connector on the server, and go buy a special SFF8088-QSFP cable. Seems only a handful of companies make this cable, only sold out of China, etc. It's also kind of expensive.
3) Same SAS HBA as above, but swap out the Netapp IOM3/IOM6 controllers for a Compellent HB-SBB2-E601-COMP. Now you can use a regular (cheap, easily replaced) SFF8088-8088 cable between the HBA and the Netapp. Even though the Netapp box will accept two controllers, I was seeing weird errors in dmesg with the second controller plugged into the chassis but not in the HBA - so just pull it out a bit so it's just acting as an airflow blocker. You definitely can't have two different types of controllers plugged in either, and I've heard that trying to multipath in this scenario ends up with duplicate drives showing up.

With the SAS HBA in IT mode, yes, each drive just shows up as another drive:

pre:
$ lsscsi
[0:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      HGST HUH728080AL GP04  /dev/sda
[1:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      HGST HUH728080AL GP04  /dev/sdb
[2:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      TOSHIBA HDWE150  FP2A  /dev/sdc
[3:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      TOSHIBA HDWE150  FP2A  /dev/sdd
[4:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      KINGSTON SVP100S 0202  /dev/sde
[5:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      SanDisk SDSSDXPS 00RL  /dev/sdf
[6:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      HGST HUH728080AL GP04  /dev/sdg
[6:0:1:0]    disk    ATA      HGST HUH728080AL GP04  /dev/sdh
[6:0:2:0]    disk    ATA      TOSHIBA HDWE150  FP2A  /dev/sdi
[6:0:3:0]    disk    ATA      TOSHIBA HDWE150  FP2A  /dev/sdj
[7:0:0:0]    enclosu NETAPP   DS424-E6EBD      221a  -
[7:0:1:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD100EMAZ-00 0A83  /dev/sdk
[7:0:2:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD100EMAZ-00 0A83  /dev/sdl
[7:0:3:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD100EMAZ-00 0A83  /dev/sdm
[7:0:4:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD100EMAZ-00 0A83  /dev/sdn
[7:0:5:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD30EFRX-68E 0A80  /dev/sdo
[7:0:6:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD30EFRX-68E 0A82  /dev/sdp
[7:0:7:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD30EFRX-68E 0A80  /dev/sdq
[7:0:8:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD30EFRX-68E 0A82  /dev/sdr
[7:0:9:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD30EFRX-68E 0A80  /dev/sds
[7:0:10:0]   disk    ATA      WDC WD30EFRX-68E 0A82  /dev/sdt
[7:0:11:0]   disk    ATA      WDC WD30EFRX-68E 0A82  /dev/sdu
[7:0:12:0]   disk    ATA      WDC WD30EFRX-68E 0A82  /dev/sdv
[7:0:13:0]   disk    ATA      WDC WD30EFRX-68E 0A82  /dev/sdw
Everything on 7:x:x:x is either the enclosure itself, or disks within the enclosure. Same deal in Windows, just a bunch of extra disks showing up.

I snagged a DS4243* (sold as a 4243, but had IOM6 controllers in it) for $50 on Craigslist locally, complete with controllers, power supplies, and disk trays with SAS interposers. I pulled the interposers out since they block most SMART data on the drives. Bought a pair of the Compellent controlers for $40 on eBay, along with a 9200-8i and a Supermicro CBL-0167L (if I'd planned this right, I would have done a 9200-8e or -16e or something like that) and a 2m 8088-8088 cable for $8. So for about $100 plus an external HBA, that's 24 more drive bays to play with. I did get a screaming deal on the Netapp itself, but even at eBay rates with shipping (it is huge and heavy) just tack another $100 on the whole thing.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I have access to an older Dell MD-3220i with roughly 35 TB raw storage in 7.2k SAS drives. Does anyone here want me to post an SA-Mart thread?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

What's better:

Athena Power 500W Flex ATX PSU:
http://www.athenapower.com/product/power-supply/flex-atx/ap-mfatx50p8

PSP Group 500W Flex ATX PSU:
https://www.fspgroupusa.com/ecommerce/pc-psu/flex-12v/flex-atx/fsp500-50fspt.html

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I don't know Athena but from what I recall FSP is reliable, and 80+ Platinum is much better than Silver.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

FSP seems to be well-known for those kinds of server-type PSUs. I have one in my SFF desktop, and it's going strong after ~6 years. I also have an old Shuttle XPC as a backup PC with the same type of PSU. No complaints, although they can be fairly loud under load (I'd assume the other one is the same way - there's not much you can do about it because they have to use such small fans that run at high RPM.)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

I don't know Athena but from what I recall FSP is reliable, and 80+ Platinum is much better than Silver.
It's better if you make sure that the load, that the system will stay at the majority of the time, is at the top of the curve for that particular model.
Anything from 80+ Bronze to Platinum have their curves start at almost the same place and only the top of the curve is where you get the highest AC to DC conversion efficiency (especially if you're on a 230V power grid, since 115V power grids get lower efficiency).
Making sure the median/mean load is at the top of the curve generally also a good way to ensure that the PSU lasts a long time, since it means that if good-quality capasitors are used, they won't be overheated.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 1, 2019

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
So, while I wait for that TS430 to arrive, I'm starting to have a serious look at Unraid. I've dug through the last 16 pages of this thread in that regard.

So far, my questions are:
  1. How much does it mess with Docker? The reason I ask is because I've used Compose to effortlessly and precisely define my current server. Perhaps, put another way, this question is asking for a comparison to the CLI/Compose usage of Docker.
  2. RAM usage, roughly how much for the OS? Minimum requirements are 2GB, but how much in practice? (I'll add this to the approx usage from my docker containers)
  3. For Cache Drives, I've been lead to believe that if there's an unexpected power outage, the drive contents will likely be lost (despite being persistent storage)? If so, can that be mitigated?
  4. Broad question I can't resist, any reason to stick with Ubuntu Server 18.04 over this?

And now, for questions or points others have raised...

nerox posted:

Also get a low profile USB stick, I use a https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Low-Profile-Drive-SDCZ33-032G-B35/dp/B00812F7O8/

It doesn't protrude very far and even 32 gigs seems like is is overkill for unraid.

Now here my main question is what, if anything, unraid does with the extra space (above the 2gb minimum) on the flash drive? Kind of find with it not doing anything and we are talking a few dollars difference at most. Having said that, there's a well argued case here for using a more expensive Single Level Chip USB Flash Drive, as opposed to a MLC/TLC drive (cheaper, more common). Before I really go hunting/deciding through listings of balloons, I was wondering if there was a good reason to have more OS drive space for unraid.

Also that same dude raises concerns about heat generation of USB 3 drives vs. USB 2? Anyone got any further thoughts?

priznat posted:

Unraid Q: I have a 256GB ssd in there now as cache, it seems to be slow at moving things out. I get “cache drive low!” Notifications sometimes and manually tell it to start movin’. Perhaps I should reduce the number of shares using cache? It’s mainly a media server box with some torrenting, probably not anything that really requires a cache anyway.

Did that ever get resolved? I also have an old 256GB SSD that I was planning on using as a cache, and foresee a few weeks of moving a great deal of data onboard.

eames posted:

If you care a lot about power consumption then Unraid isn’t ideal. Their disk spindown features are nice on paper but the OS itself is not (and can’t be) optimized for power consumption. Tools like powertop are completely missing. I did the test on my old machine and found that Unraid idles at 32W with disks spun down while Ubuntu LTS idles at 17W with disks spun down. :shrug:

Did we ever get to the bottom of that difference?

eames posted:

How bad is the janitoring [your ubuntu server] though?

Just so I wasn't entirely full of poo poo when I first answered that, let me be clear that unraid has tempted me in, rather than necessarily wanted to leave plain Ubuntu Server.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Heners_UK posted:

So, while I wait for that TS430 to arrive, I'm starting to have a serious look at Unraid. I've dug through the last 16 pages of this thread in that regard.

So far, my questions are:
  1. How much does it mess with Docker? The reason I ask is because I've used Compose to effortlessly and precisely define my current server. Perhaps, put another way, this question is asking for a comparison to the CLI/Compose usage of Docker.
  2. RAM usage, roughly how much for the OS? Minimum requirements are 2GB, but how much in practice? (I'll add this to the approx usage from my docker containers)
  3. For Cache Drives, I've been lead to believe that if there's an unexpected power outage, the drive contents will likely be lost (despite being persistent storage)? If so, can that be mitigated?
  4. Broad question I can't resist, any reason to stick with Ubuntu Server 18.04 over this?

1. You can use Compose by way of the NerdPack plugin currently as I understand it.
2. I have 16GB in my machine now, and I look to be only using about 4.5, that's including 9 running containers and a scheduled parity check now.
3. Data on cache drives should survive a power outage I believe. It remains there and is unprotected from faults until the mover script is used to move data to your storage drives. You can mirror cache drives to mitigate.
4. Do you want to computer janitor more or not? Unraid is just simpler to use for me I guess.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm selling a Asus P10S-V/4L / Intel Xeon E3-1220 v5 / 8gb DDR4 combo in SA-mart if anyone is looking to build a system
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3880892

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FCKGW posted:

I'm selling a Asus P10S-V/4L / Intel Xeon E3-1220 v5 / 8gb DDR4 combo in SA-mart if anyone is looking to build a system

Dang, had you posted this a month ago I would have bought that.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
update: since opening this thread in November or so, I've gone from "hey, what's the best way to hook up this really old 2tb RAID 1 NAS to my old router?" to a new 8TB external HDD, to finding out my old router doesn't support external drives over 4tb, to a new router, to a new DS218j, to returning that DS218j, to a new DS218+. Today, I just unshucked yet another WD 8tb external drive, for a grand total of a new router, two new 8tb drives, and a fancy-rear end x64-based NAS that I spent all of last night relearning unix CLI and configuring for Plex, remote torrent daemon, usenet, automated downloads, and all other manner of bullshit on custom package repositories.

thanks for loving nothing, thread.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

FCKGW posted:

What did you use the DS411slim for?

I'm wondering if it would choke with a 4 disk SSD array for iSCSI VM storage.

Moey fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 2, 2019

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

update: since opening this thread in November or so, I've gone from "hey, what's the best way to hook up this really old 2tb RAID 1 NAS to my old router?" to a new 8TB external HDD, to finding out my old router doesn't support external drives over 4tb, to a new router, to a new DS218j, to returning that DS218j, to a new DS218+. Today, I just unshucked yet another WD 8tb external drive, for a grand total of a new router, two new 8tb drives, and a fancy-rear end x64-based NAS that I spent all of last night relearning unix CLI and configuring for Plex, remote torrent daemon, usenet, automated downloads, and all other manner of bullshit on custom package repositories.

congratulations you loving NERD

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Internet Explorer posted:

congratulations you loving NERD
i'm hot-swapping myself into a locker

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

TenementFunster posted:

one of us ONE OF US

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Moey posted:

What did you use the DS411slim for?

I'm wondering if it would choke with a 4 disk SSD array for iSCSI VM storage.

I didn't use it for anything really, it was some file storage at work. I used it at home for a bit to store some photos off my main server. I haven't pushed it really.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’m probably going to pick up a DS218+ soon, what are the best hard drives for it? I think two 4TB would be fine.

The PC building thread recommended HGST from Backblazes recent list but I can’t buy many HGST locally.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Red_Fred posted:

I’m probably going to pick up a DS218+ soon, what are the best hard drives for it? I think two 4TB would be fine.

The PC building thread recommended HGST from Backblazes recent list but I can’t buy many HGST locally.

Shucking the WD Easystore externals is really the best bang for your buck and a good quality drive.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Moey posted:

Shucking the WD Easystore externals is really the best bang for your buck and a good quality drive.
Only if you go for the ones above 6TB nowadays, else you risk getting WD Greens and other drives which don't have the qualities usually sought after for NAS drives (WD Red or whitelabel Reds).
And not if you're outside of the US, because WD EasyStore aren't available in EMEA or anywhere else as far as I've been able to tell, and there's no guarentee that the WD MyBook (or whatever the gently caress they call them) contain the right drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Moey posted:

I finally pulled the trigger on a 418Play so now I'm back to obsessively checking EasyStore prices.
Currently $199 for a 10TB at the Best Buy.

Still a decent price I assume?