Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate The Promised Neverland?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

dordreff posted:

new chapter is out and features perhaps the most important image this manga has ever produced:

It's this, actually:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Wait, why does Emma suddenly care about what happens to the demons as that last panel showing her concern at “Norman’s” comments suggest?

I mean this guy (I don’t buy for a second this guy is Norman) is giving off some serious Akira from Devilman vibes but if Every demon died then all her problems are over.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 25, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ConanThe3rd posted:

Wait, why does Emma suddenly care about what happens to the demons as that last panel showing her concern at “Norman’s” commentssuggest?

I mean this guy (I don’t buy for a second this guy is Norman) is giving off some serious Akira from Devilman vibes but if Every demon died then all her problems are over.

Because Emma knows that not all demons are human-devouring monsters, thanks to having met Musica and Sonju (who is, but she doesn't know that). She likely believes they aren't the only ones and as such complete genocide is not an acceptable option.

She's wrong, of course, considering that, if Norman is right, merely rescuing all of humanity would be enough to force all demons to become beasts or less, so they won't go for any peaceful options. But then again, if Norman is right, what's up with Musica? How come she's still human-like?

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
oh no, is Norman a bad guy :ohdear:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Because Emma knows that not all demons are human-devouring monsters, thanks to having met Musica and Sonju (who is, but she doesn't know that). She likely believes they aren't the only ones and as such complete genocide is not an acceptable option.

She's wrong, of course, considering that, if Norman is right, merely rescuing all of humanity would be enough to force all demons to become beasts or less, so they won't go for any peaceful options. But then again, if Norman is right, what's up with Musica? How come she's still human-like?

If the demons can also sexually reproduce and pass down traits that way, they could in possibility have stabilized offspring who would not degrade.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yeah not seeing the downside here.

You doom their civilization either way in some fashion.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think it's because Emma's plan that they've already made progress in is to reforge the promise and escape without resorting to violence, and this flies directly in the face of that

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm curious how this coming moral impasse will break down. It's pretty clear that Emma is not happy at the idea of genociding the entire demon race. However the fact that it just takes a few feral demons to eat some farmers and the entire thing starts again means is there really any other realistic option? Norman also basically went to the center HQ of their organized atrocities and watched all nature of horrors so his outlook is going to be different than Emma's especially with the two helpful demons. I'm really curious how those two maintain their sapience and if that will be addressed since it's a huge deal with this new revelation.

I hope it doesn't get framed as simply as Norman is like the demons he hates since the situation is a lot more complicated than that. I'm not sure how you reforge the promise in anyway other than the previous one without total destruction. The demons have only one option really so how do they bargain it?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Any situation with sentient life should not be resolved with genocide. From a moral standpoint, the demons have just as much of a right to exist as the humans. And just killing them all is not the type of easy answer the old Norman would come up with

This is going to get messy...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah the situation got seriously complicated since you have two species that simply can't coexist. The demons require eating humans to maintain sapience so they literally have nothing to negotiate other than what they offered initially which was "we will only eat SOME of you we raise for slaughter." They can't just go their separate ways since the demons require humans while the humans have nothing they want from the other side except to be left alone. I think the missing information is how Sonju and Musica survive. Additionally Musica looks WAY more human than any other demon we have seen and with the latest revelation that raises questions.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I wonder if part of Emma's hesitation is that all out genocidal war is gonna get a poo poo ton of kids murdered.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
I'm sure a non-genocide solution would be to let the demons have their own area, where they can have a certain amount of humans, separate from where humans live.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Half of Dracula posted:

I'm sure a non-genocide solution would be to let the demons have their own area, where they can have a certain amount of humans, separate from where humans live.

Isnt this already the status quo of the universe?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Yeah not seeing the downside here.

You doom their civilization either way in some fashion.

Norman would be starting a two front war against both the demons, and the Ratri family + humanity. The current balance is something both sides want to maintain and there's no guarantee that either side won't just scorch earth Norman and his faction to keep the promise from being broken.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I imagine the Promise has some magic bullshit that fixes the demons too or something.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Fabricated posted:

I imagine the Promise has some magic bullshit that fixes the demons too or something.

It's this. Emma's alternate dimension vision with the demon god had the same tenor as Edward Elric's meetings with the alchemy god or whatever. I'm thinking Emma will be able to talk herself into a Deus ex machina ending.

I'm also now glad I went through the manga first, because images like Mama staring Emma down and the sudden reveal of the demon council table, with the unpronounceable name, were really effective in black and white, but felt weaker in motion.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

The demons should just eat other sentient demons to maintain their sentience.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pewdiepie posted:

The demons should just eat other sentient demons to maintain their sentience.

I assume that is what Sonjuu does.

UP AND ADAM posted:

I'm also now glad I went through the manga first, because images like Mama staring Emma down and the sudden reveal of the demon council table, with the unpronounceable name, were really effective in black and white, but felt weaker in motion.

Well the Anime did not even use the unpronounceable name going just for "Him"

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Hi! Just watched the first episode of this. Question for those caught up with the story: jesus are more kids going to get killed? Call me a big sissy but uhhh i don’t think i can stomach watching a series where child harm is the central plot.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Hi! Just watched the first episode of this. Question for those caught up with the story: jesus are more kids going to get killed? Call me a big sissy but uhhh i don’t think i can stomach watching a series where child harm is the central plot.

Unfortunately, yes.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Dang, Thanks for the warning. I’m unfortunately gonna have to drop this. It looks really good otherwise.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its not very common fwiw

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Dang, Thanks for the warning. I’m unfortunately gonna have to drop this. It looks really good otherwise.

The kids also rack up kills on the demons

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Lube Enthusiast posted:

No other kids will die while they're at the orphanage.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

AtomikKrab posted:

The kids also rack up kills on the demons

and it rules

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lube Enthusiast posted:

The first guy gave you bad info. Child harm is pretty rare after the set up. We have yet to see another kid that young die.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

There's two things you need to know before you think about the child harm.

1) Children are constantly in danger.
2) Emma does not like children being constantly in danger.
3) You do not gently caress with Emma, ever. Even if she likes you.

Ergo, you can be calm, children will suffer but they do not die. For all this series is dark, it is always heavily optimistic.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm glad everyone can have a moment of calm and happiness after all that's happened. And the original trio is happily back together.

This was a very cute chapter :3:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
link.
https://readms.net/r/neverland/121/5650/1

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Incredibly nervous to find out what the other kids eat.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
What are the chances this is just a new farm?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Emma, being the protagonist is almost certainly correct so Norman has to be wrong.

"Completely genocide the enemy" is something that a Weekly Jump series generally is going to avoid explicitly saying is the best thing (Chimera Ant arc is an outlier here) for the hero to do.

Also duh, we've already discussed the promise and had it set as a goal so it can't just be dropped as a solution.

Norman is either in on something bad, or he has been thoroughly baited into doing this for some reason. Maybe this is a honey pot and the demons are willing to eat a few burned plants to be able to somehow instantly reap a whole city of high quality meat all at once.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Emma, being the protagonist is almost certainly correct so Norman has to be wrong.

"Completely genocide the enemy" is something that a Weekly Jump series generally is going to avoid explicitly saying is the best thing (Chimera Ant arc is an outlier here) for the hero to do.

Also duh, we've already discussed the promise and had it set as a goal so it can't just be dropped as a solution.

Norman is either in on something bad, or he has been thoroughly baited into doing this for some reason. Maybe this is a honey pot and the demons are willing to eat a few burned plants to be able to somehow instantly reap a whole city of high quality meat all at once.

The Chimera Ant arc isn't an exception; a lot of Chimera Ants survived the arc, and I believe there are now more Chimera Ant Nen users than human ones in the HxH world.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Silver2195 posted:

The Chimera Ant arc isn't an exception; a lot of Chimera Ants survived the arc, and I believe there are now more Chimera Ant Nen users than human ones in the HxH world.
I mean in the overall goal. Weren't the hunters supposed to totally wipe the ants out?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I mean in the overall goal. Weren't the hunters supposed to totally wipe the ants out?

They were, but they decided against it when they learned that Chimera Ants could live without eating humans.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

they're eating demons

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I think Norman's probably on the level but has bad info that's going to lead them into a trap if they go through with it. Unless there's straight up brainwashing at play I don't see Norman being the traitor type.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think the main issue is going to be Norman and Emma's ideologies clashing moving forward

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Sri.Theo posted:

What are the chances this is just a new farm?

This is my thinking.

This chapter had me with a really uneasy feeling. It's just too good and too close to the farm they escaped in the first place. The framing of Emma's reactions to her friends accepting this new reality really makes me think there's a problem here, but I'm not sure how to interpret that ending if this being a trap is the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I think it'd be a cool twist if they did just genocide the demons and live in peace because they know they can't trust the human world