Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

FilthyImp posted:

SA stuff turns up in the oddest places.

Is hosting still as much of an issue as it was back then? It seemed like "oh poo poo 200 people used my site this week I'm hosed" was way more common and expensive then.

SA still has issues sometimes but Lowtax's spine has been absorbing any donations for a while I imagine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

purple death ray posted:

SA still has issues sometimes but Lowtax's spine has been absorbing any donations for a while I imagine

I dropped 70 bucks into the Lowtax’s Spine and Hosting Fund last month via redtexting random people. This place has been so great at entertaining me over the past decade I figured it’s the least I could do. There’s so much weird internet history here.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
Speaking of, we always say/hear the forum is smaller, etc. I have no doubt that's true but I am curious if anyone has data over time regarding simultaneous users. I mean right now there are over 4K people logged in, which I understand is probably 1/100 the number at 4chan or teen_vape_forum.biz or whatever, but it's still not all that bad.

I don't remember what it 'used to be' but I don't think I recall double-digit thousand simultaneous users...anyone know?

(If anyone is logged in via WebTV I hope they get banned)

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Slippery posted:

Speaking of, we always say/hear the forum is smaller, etc. I have no doubt that's true but I am curious if anyone has data over time regarding simultaneous users. I mean right now there are over 4K people logged in, which I understand is probably 1/100 the number at 4chan or teen_vape_forum.biz or whatever, but it's still not all that bad.

I don't remember what it 'used to be' but I don't think I recall double-digit thousand simultaneous users...anyone know?

I recall a few times when the form had 50k simultaneous users.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Slippery posted:

Someone posted a unique user graph in QCS a while back. Basically the forums peaked in like 04-05, and there was a big drop off in about 13-14 as a bunch of people who only posted in the Let's Play forum moved to Twitch. It's been fairly steady since then.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
much of the dropoff was probably in the various obscure subforums that hardly anyone uses. if you only hit the big subs like gbs/games/d&d and associates like pyf/ask tell then you may not notice

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

fool_of_sound posted:

Someone posted a unique user graph in QCS a while back. Basically the forums peaked in like 04-05, and there was a big drop off in about 13-14 as a bunch of people who only posted in the Let's Play forum moved to Twitch. It's been fairly steady since then.

13-14 was also when GBS was made into a FYADlite which I’m pretty sure drove away a fair amount of traffic.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
forums peaked when I registered, makes sense *strokes neckbeard*

thanks for the info though, I guess I thought 4k was still a lot, lol. I'll go delve into qcs to see if I can find the unique user graph thing, that sounds interesting. Maybe I will ask for a redo of that ancient forum stat thread (the source of "one guy was using WebTV so I banned him because WTF")

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Threads used to travel much faster when the simuser numbers were higher.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

13-14 was also when GBS was made into a FYADlite which I’m pretty sure drove away a fair amount of traffic.

Speaking of sagas, exactly how long has the "blame GBS for the falling number of users" trope been limping along?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
to be fair i post there so it cant be that great

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

sneakyfrog posted:

to be fair i post there so it cant be that great

Hell, same.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
GBS stands for Goons Being poo poo. This is canon now.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

We post, but we are careful not to take joy in the posting.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Speaking of sagas, exactly how long has the "blame GBS for the falling number of users" trope been limping along?

Since 99

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I mean, there was a major change to one of the largest forums at about the time things dropped off. I know it turned me off of that subforum for a while until I got used to it. After a month or two it leveled off into a pretty good time but I have no doubt it put off some people.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I mean, there was a major change to one of the largest forums at about the time things dropped off. I know it turned me off of that subforum for a while until I got used to it. After a month or two it leveled off into a pretty good time but I have no doubt it put off some people.

It just went from one kind of bad to another

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

CaptainSarcastic posted:

oh god I'll just take one for the team and say it

Since your first post there duh

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Slippery posted:

oh god I'll just take one for the team and say it

Since your first post there duh

Harsh but fair.

Also, "just take one for the team" makes feel obligated to say we should leave your mom out of this.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Harsh but fair.

Also, "just take one for the team" makes feel obligated to say we should leave your mom out of this.

What does that have to do with OP's mother? Everyone knows she takes more than one.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Harsh but fair.

Valid. My mother is on the team, she's the pitcher though

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I unironically enjoy that "op" now just means "whoever we are currently roasting"

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

purple death ray posted:

I unironically enjoy that "op" now just means "whoever we are currently roasting"

:yossame:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

purple death ray posted:

I actually really hate it. It's redundant and unnecessary just like overuse of tbh but who the heck am I :shrug:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Are there any current monomaniacal special interest posters who will automatically show up in a thread if certain subjects are mentioned?

I remember for a period of time just mentioning "gun control" magically summoned Le Jackal to any thread, regardless of sub.

More recently there was that transphobic guy, handle was 8-bit something or other, I think, who whenever transgender people came up would have to barge in and go on and on with "Actually, and I'm just asking questions, but, :biotruths:..." until I think he finally ate a ban.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Are there any current monomaniacal special interest posters who will automatically show up in a thread if certain subjects are mentioned?

I remember for a period of time just mentioning "gun control" magically summoned Le Jackal to any thread, regardless of sub.

More recently there was that transphobic guy, handle was 8-bit something or other, I think, who whenever transgender people came up would have to barge in and go on and on with "Actually, and I'm just asking questions, but, :biotruths:..." until I think he finally ate a ban.

8-bit Scholar. He was awful and ate a ban for asking something like "how do we really know, objectively, if pedophilia is truly immoral?" and quadrupling down on it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

MageMage was kind of funny for searching “tranny” to Kramer in and correct people on using a transphobic slur (which is fine) but not reading before he posted and getting an av+redtext for jumping in on a car discussion about transmissions.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

MageMage was kind of funny for searching “tranny” to Kramer in and correct people on using a transphobic slur (which is fine) but not reading before he posted and getting an av+redtext for jumping in on a car discussion about transmissions.

Makes sense, how could you really know what the transmission identifies as?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
8-bit Scholar was at least unintentionally funny because he claimed to know a lot about Japanese culture but it was unmistakably crystal clear that all of this "knowledge" came exclusively through anime and video games.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

jobson groeth posted:

Makes sense, how could you really know what the transmission identifies as?

Grip the stick, wander your hands, and see what happens?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

8-bit Scholar was at least unintentionally funny because he claimed to know a lot about Japanese culture but it was unmistakably crystal clear that all of this "knowledge" came exclusively through anime and video games.

I think what made me initially aware of him was the way he eventually poo poo up the Stranger Things thread by being unable to avoid posting as a self-important libertarian shitbag for more than a page or two.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Elephant Ambush posted:

8-bit Scholar. He was awful and ate a ban for asking something like "how do we really know, objectively, if pedophilia is truly immoral?" and quadrupling down on it.

This gives me an excuse to post this again:
https://soundcloud.com/stanley-swanson-150846885/mgs-8-bit-abattoir-of-vitriol

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

So like the best part about the Pele drama is that there are so many goons who dont realize that somewhat average looking girls need loving too. They could be with actual people instead of anime love pillows if they stopped trying so loving hard to be creepy.

And regardless of how you think she looked or whatever, I seen a lot of pictures of male goons. That's punching above their weight for more than would like to admit.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I don't care what you look like, trolling for booty on the SA forums will never not be sad/hilarious.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nice. I guess calling him a self-important libertarian shitbag was fairly apt.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Twitch posted:

I don't care what you look like, trolling for booty on the SA forums will never not be sad/hilarious.

Um please delete my PM then

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Elephant Ambush posted:

I actually really hate it. It's redundant and unnecessary just like overuse of tbh but who the heck am I :shrug:

But it isn't usually used to refer to the actual OP, it's evolved to mean 'whoever I'm responding to/talking about'

Like here I would say, It's ironic, OP

even though you are not in fact the OP

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pastry of the Year posted:

what I miss is the veritable galaxy of blogspot-hosted mp3 blogs that would upload personally-ripped vinyl and cassette obscurities that were available digitally nowhere else, often times with cover/liner note scans and commentary providing insight and context

it really felt like those days would never end

Yeah there are still some but I think Apple and Spotify have just kind of killed that kind of thing from popping up again. I guess social media too because everything just runs to Facebook/Twitter/YouTube and no one is going to to make their own obscure blog anymore when so much if the world's internet traffic is sucked up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Twitch posted:

Absolutely, we should completely make fun of it. If that much wasn't clear then i failed.