Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think this is what is referred to as a "good shooting".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

ocrumsprug posted:

I think this is what is referred to as a "good shooting".

That's pretty good shooting, try again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIA4Il9DcSQ

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
Well, poo poo.

PJ, if you happen to be lurking here, please, please post those tools you mentioned on your Prester's Perspective site. I really want them to exist. I believe in you, no matter what happened between you and the mods.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

PurpleButterfly posted:

Well, poo poo.

PJ, if you happen to be lurking here, please, please post those tools you mentioned on your Prester's Perspective site. I really want them to exist. I believe in you, no matter what happened between you and the mods.

She toxxed for Avenatti and got banned along with everyone else when he declared he's not running a few days ago, so I suspect she'll be back sooner or later.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
they should have perma'd everyone with the basta brain worms

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Is There Such a Thing as an Authoritarian Voter? https://nyti.ms/2LhDOi4

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

quote:

He (Allen Strouse) voted for Mr. Trump "as a protest against the Democrats’ failures on economic issues,"

quote:

"I’ve seen what has happened to them over the last few decades. I’m a working-class person, a former labor organizer, and I feel the Democrats have stabbed them in the back over a number of years."

lots of these "authoritarian voters" would have voted for Berine, and he would have won

its funny that they would rather go down the rabbit hole of freudian analysis than confront the failure of neoliberal policies to improve or even sustain the material conditions that matter most to voters

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsqGITb0W4A&t=103s

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

McGlockenshire posted:

holy poo poo pj why did you toxx for basta ahahahaha

okay confession time: because I had just eaten some potent rear end edibles and it seemed funny as gently caress at the time. I didn't quite expect him to flame out quite so quickly, although I did expect him to play it about pretty fantastically.

PurpleButterfly posted:

Well, poo poo.

That is in the works, although I've shifted my approach a little bit- my new strategy is finding ways to weaponize my work for use on social media. (For better or worse that's where the people are and that's where the battle must be fought.) Please allow me to explain.

I've reactivated my account primarily because I need access to the archives to pull up some of my previous material. During my break from the forums I realized that for a variety of reasons, I can't really actively participate in this community anymore. Not that something awful isn't it beautiful community with an amazing history, but there is definitely a tendency here that when you get too big of a footprint it becomes rather difficult to post.

So I'm moving on to social media, specifically I've been doing a lot of work on Twitter lately. And I'm starting to have an impact:

This guy is some big memetics expert that latched right on to the Narrativist Framework: https://mobile.twitter.com/OpWolverines/status/1090145729035685888

He caught Posobeics attention: https://mobile.twitter.com/Prester_Jane/status/1091476469283340288

This thread represents an evolution in my research on Accelerated Christian Education beyond what I've posted here. I definitely urge everyone to give it a read and appreciate any signal boosting: https://mobile.twitter.com/Prester_Jane/status/1091115154350034944

Literally two hours after I posted that thread I had a guy who wrote a book about being raised in the John Birch Society contact me and offer to send me a free copy of his book. According to him I've nailed them to the wall.

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 00:31 on Feb 2, 2019

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Prester Jane posted:

okay confession time: because I had just eaten some potent rear end edibles and it seemed funny as gently caress at the time. I didn't quite expect him to flame out quite so quickly, although I did expect him to play it about pretty fantastically.

That is in the works, although I've shifted my approach a little bit- my new strategy is finding ways to weaponize my work for us on social media. (For better or worse that's where the people are and that's where the battle must be fought.) Please allow me to explain.

I've reactivated my account primarily because I need access to the archives to pull up some of my previous material. During my break from the Farms I realized that for a variety of reasons, I can't really actively participate in this community anymore. Not that something awful isn't it beautiful community with an amazing history, but there is definitely a tendency here that when you get too big of a footprint it becomes rather difficult to post.

So I'm moving on to social media, specifically I've been doing a lot of work on Twitter lately. And I'm starting to have an impact:

This guy is some big memetics expert that latched right on to the Narrativist Framework: https://mobile.twitter.com/OpWolverines/status/1090145729035685888

He caught Posobeics attention: https://mobile.twitter.com/Prester_Jane/status/1091476469283340288

This thread represents an evolution in my research on Accelerated Christian Education beyond what I've posted here. I definitely urge everyone to give it a read and appreciate any signal boosting: https://mobile.twitter.com/Prester_Jane/status/1091115154350034944

Literally two hours after I posted that thread I had a guy who wrote a book about being raised in the John Birch Society contact me and offer to send me a free copy of his book. According to him I've nailed them to the wall.

goonspeed (away from these forums)

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

btw PJ did nothing wrong

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I've always had kind of a mental block on understanding reddit compared to twitter so for my part I'm glad to hear your material's going to be more visible and citeable on there. Specifically I think a big twitter thread written to expose each specific cult behavior you know of in depth with many examples could get a lot of traction, because it's readily citeable (retweetable) any time there is a current event that fits the pattern the tweet thread warns people of. Good luck

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I've always had kind of a mental block on understanding reddit compared to twitter so for my part I'm glad to hear your material's going to be more visible and citeable on there. Specifically I think a big twitter thread written to expose each specific cult behavior you know of in depth with many examples could get a lot of traction, because it's readily citeable (retweetable) any time there is a current event that fits the pattern the tweet thread warns people of. Good luck

My most widely viewed tweet by more than double: https://mobile.twitter.com/Prester_Jane/status/1090128940734210048

Also that tweet put me in touch with several journalists, one of whom is interested in doing a story about the Council for National Policy when he gets some time available.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That's goddamn great news

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Dumb Lowtax posted:

That's goddamn great news

Yeah, well done PJ.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Anyone willing to make a series of very simple images to represent the compaction cycle for me? (I have absolutely no artistic capacity whatsoever or I do it myself). But I think a simple series of stick figure type Graphics telling the story of the snowball metaphor could really do well as a Twitter thread for the compaction cycle. It'll be a weapon that could be whipped out by anyone anytime to behavior appears in social media*.

*compaction cycles are goddamn omnipresent anymore- it's just a matter of being at the right place at the right time. I mean fucksakes its like the early 00's Otherkin community threw up on politics.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Also just in case you've been out of the loop, this has been a weird week for CSPAM because the Trump Piss Tape dropped and seemingly only our forum has it or will talk about it

Link:

http://pissta.pe/ (NWS, and also morbid if you think about it)

An animation comparing it to recent footage of the same room in Moscow:

Mockup using the public floorplan and furniture arrangement from said recent footage:

Earliest source of it we can find on the internet:

https://archived.moe/b/thread/790068578/#790073144

So it looks like Roger Stone / disgrunted FBI agent / Kremlin / Nathan Fielder unceremoniously dropped it there and made no fanfare about it whatsoever until the CSPAM Trump thread happened to make a big fuss

More careful analysis can be found in the CSPAM Piss Tape Is Real thread starting around when it arrived there. Current consensus is that the clip is probably the real thing, and if not the expensive resources that went into it all but confirm that the real thing exists for them to go to this much trouble to try to mitigate it leaking.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823044&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=57

Even the least decorum-filled reporters so far have refused to touch this for fear of the file's unknown backstory ruining their careers

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 01:02 on Feb 2, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I do not think that anyone, blue checkmark or no, has compiled the above information into a twitter thread, much less all the other observations in our own thread about it. Instead of any carefully collected analysis, so far I think we've only tweeted it at reporters like it was some kind of shock video out of context and they've understandably dismissed it. Doing it right still remains to be done by anyone.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
do not spread the blasphemy of the false piss tape in this hallowed place, it's a fake right down to the artificial camera shake

Prester Jane posted:

okay confession time: because I had just eaten some potent rear end edibles and it seemed funny as gently caress at the time.

PJ you're a big dummy sometimes

this is amazing and a bit dangerous imo. latching on to the christian schooling controversy is probably a good idea, but I fear what will happen when the chuds continue to spread things around and the same nitwits in /pol/ that created the NPC meme see the bare words "inner narrative" and "outer narrative" and think that they're fine and dandy to co-opt.

McGlockenshire has issued a correction as of 01:11 on Feb 2, 2019

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I do not think that anyone, blue checkmark or no, has compiled the above information into a twitter thread, much less all the other observations in our own thread about it. Instead of any carefully collected analysis, so far I think we've only tweeted it at reporters like it was some kind of shock video out of context and they've understandably dismissed it. Doing it right still remains to be done by anyone.

*blinks*

Yup just checked, I took my meds this morning.

*blinks again*

:350:

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

McGlockenshire posted:

do not spread the blasphemy of the false piss tape in this hallowed place

PJ you're a big dummy sometimes

this is amazing and a bit dangerous imo. latching on to the christian schooling controversy is probably a good idea, but I fear what will happen when the chuds continue to spread things around and the same nitwits in /pol/ that created the NPC meme see the bare words "inner narrative" and "outer narrative" and think that they're fine and dandy to co-opt.

I've had a few Chuds encounter the narrativist framework, and based on how kiwi Farms processed it- they think I'm over intellectualizing something really obvious.

Not that caution isn't warranted and it's wouldn't be prudent to deliberately attack attract the attention of the alt right. My experience thus far however is that my identity as a self-aware schizophrenic transwoman raised in a cult is so unbelievably hilarious to them that they either just can't take me seriously or think I'm some sort of leftist TobleroneTriangular

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Sign me the gently caress up for some meds too while you're at it, I can't take this dumb week anymore

Prester Jane posted:

Not that caution isn't warranted and it's wouldn't be prudent to deliberately attack attract the attention of the alt right. My experience thus far however is that my identity as a self-aware schizophrenic transwoman raised in a cult is so unbelievably hilarious to them that they either just can't take me seriously or think I'm some sort of leftist TobleroneTriangular

lol nice

I do agree that we should expect to see twitter chuds eventually throwing all the terms around even more than our side does, in disingenuous and blatant acts of projection every time

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 01:19 on Feb 2, 2019

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Sign me the gently caress up for some meds too while you're at it, I can't take this dumb week anymore

If you just so happen to be out on the eastside of Portland- Nectar runs $1 gram joints every Friday. I mean yeah, it's mostly shake, but it's still ~15% . (Shameless plug because they are one of the businesses that has really gone above and beyond to make me feel accepted as a woman.)

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Prester Jane posted:

based on how kiwi Farms processed it- they think I'm over intellectualizing something really obvious.

This was also the only valid criticism i've ever heard of PJ's NF on CSPAM. Everything else was just ad hominem attacks against PJ herself.

I wrote a couple paragraphs about it upthread but i settled on "PJ did nothing wrong"

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Also if it was really intellectualizing something completely obvious, we wouldn't have people who still fall for narratives and can't recognize the similarities between their narrative and another

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

PJs Narrativist Framework is probably amongst the most important recent example of what the chuds called "cultural marxism"

no one else has done any kind of rigorous methodology for dealing with the cynical dishonesty that lies at the heart of how fascism subverts debate and (thereby) national politics

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Also if it was really intellectualizing something completely obvious, we wouldn't have people who still fall for narratives and can't recognize the similarities between their narrative and another

https://mobile.twitter.com/SmythRadio/status/1090685427479126016

https://mobile.twitter.com/DeavlL/status/1090264410038267905

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

In the a Heidegger thread a definition of technology as "a means to an end" came up. In the conversations across several threads regarding systems dynamics the foundations of cybernetics have come up. In that discipline technologies have two parts: the technology and the suite of ideas needed to effectively use the technology. The classic example being electricity (the technology) and the assembly line (the idea that let factories that where electrified be used more effectively than steam or belt driven factories).

I've been thinking of your narratives with these two concepts. A narrative is used and propogated as a means to an end. It's a technology with Heidegger's definition. And that means there is a corresponding suite of ideas for its effective use that could be describe systematically.

There's a way to ground and have a foundation for Prester's framework.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Former DILF posted:

PJs Narrativist Framework is probably amongst the most important recent example of what the chuds called "cultural marxism"

no one else has done any kind of rigorous methodology for dealing with the cynical dishonesty that lies at the heart of how fascism subverts debate and (thereby) national politics

regular marxism is pretty good at this

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
When I'm in public I adopt the outer narrative of liberal bullshit but my inner narrative always goes back to Marx, baby

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

oh, PJ's back! now I can tell you: Ed Krassenstein is a grifter, similar to Eric "Game Theory" Garland and Louise Mensch, and I wish you'd stop RTing him. not gonna get mad if you don't, tho, twitter is like that

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

LordSaturn posted:

oh, PJ's back! now I can tell you: Ed Krassenstein is a grifter, similar to Eric "Game Theory" Garland and Louise Mensch, and I wish you'd stop RTing him. not gonna get mad if you don't, tho, twitter is like that

lmao

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I'm glad that you're active, but you really are a glutton for punishment, PJ. Goonspeed.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Or Funder (Scott Dworkin) who IIRC just straight up makes poo poo up that supports leftist narratives of uncovering crimes, and then keeps doing it and never answers for the past ones that never amounted to anything such as "existing in real life".

Are you talking about the Krassenstein brothers, no one would retweet them on purpose, IIRC they just sell dorky books with the superficial trappings of #Resistance

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Tastykake posted:

regular marxism is pretty good at this

this is regular Marxism, they just add cultural to make it sound scarier to laypeople

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
So I'm not even sure how I wound up following him, but I've unfollowed him now. I had no real idea who he actually was, thanks for looking out.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I follow the Krassensteins. They're grifters but boy are they upbeat. Just a couple of fun #Resistance chads.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Are you talking about the Krassenstein brothers, no one would retweet them on purpose, IIRC they just sell dorky books with the superficial trappings of #Resistance

Yeah, the Krassenstein brothers are grifters who were involved with some sort of MLM scam a few years back. They loudly proclaim for the impeachment of Trump and point out obvious corruption in a way that appeals to the kind of people with low political engagement. This means TALKING IN CAPS, coming to reductionist conclusions with little to no supporting evidence, repeating phrases over and over in a tweet and generally springboarding off their Trump hate to try and grift off the hashtag resistance movement.

They don't really offer anything of substance. They do actually point out corruption, but they don't use their platform to push any ideas to replace the corrupt system that they currently criticize. Almost anyone can point out a corrupt system once they're made away of the corruption. What's more difficult is fixing it and they don't seem to have any answers.

Perversely this sort of attitude can create enormous tents that can fit tons of people inside, because then you're not engaging with how something should be fixed, which challenges people and turns them off as you threaten to offend their political sensibilities only that what they point out is in need of fixing. Even more perversely, taking down corrupt systems with no idea on how to fix it just creates a power vacuum and it's often the most organized and energized political or social movements that fill the void. It makes it more likely that you just get more authoritarianism because you never fixed the problems that created the corrupt system in the first place. It's not enough to toss corrupt people out, because people seeking to reinstitute that corruption, which is often political access for money or favors, will find a way to cause the same things to happen. Though next time the way that it's done is more palatable.

I'm not surprised that you glommed onto a few of these people. You seem to be very in tune with your understand right wing authoritarianism, but people like the Kressensteins are a different species of bad faith actor and that knowledge of cults and identifying authoritarians probably doesn't translate well to them.

Prester Jane posted:

I've had a few Chuds encounter the narrativist framework, and based on how kiwi Farms processed it- they think I'm over intellectualizing something really obvious.

Not that caution isn't warranted and it's wouldn't be prudent to deliberately attack attract the attention of the alt right. My experience thus far however is that my identity as a self-aware schizophrenic transwoman raised in a cult is so unbelievably hilarious to them that they either just can't take me seriously or think I'm some sort of leftist TobleroneTriangular.

It seems obvious to them because people who drift towards authoritarian power, cults and the like internalize these ways of thinking. They probably don't think too hard about it in the way that a fish isn't particularly aware of the water it swims in. Authoritarians are used to a social substrate that has a hierarchy in it and you're not really explaining anything new to them. On the other hand, people who reject authority or are often not overly subject to it really do need this explained to them. If they didn't, you wouldn't see people constantly debating with the chuds rather than knowing that they're engaging in bad faith arguments to demoralize you and spread their values.

The Chapo Trap House subreddit engages with the chuds in a way that's particularly effective. Occasionally right wingers have tried to launch internet raids on them to go and argue with them for laughs and to demoralize people that they hate. The way that CTH posters deal with them is just to post "Show me your dick". That's it, really, just a lovely meme. Sometimes they get clever with it, but the chuds don't like going there anymore because they don't get energized by dunking on leftists as they can't exhaust them by forcing people to engage with their regurgitated talking points. Instead they get told to "Show me your dick". The game they play has rules and the way you win to make the other person tired and angry or to make them care. Unable to win, they come back confused, demoralized and aware that they're wasting their time. It isn't always "Show me your dick", but the responses often look like they're straight out of GBS at times. Chuds still try, but that's just how it goes and it's pretty effective. Refusing to engage with them after they put in the effort discourages them.

Ice Phisherman has issued a correction as of 21:37 on Feb 2, 2019

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Behind the Bastards had a good episode about the Krassensteins that also covered Jacob Wohl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Ice Phisherman posted:

The way that CTH posters deal with them is just to post "Show me your dick". That's it, really, just a lovely meme. Sometimes they get clever with it,

It's so stupid but "hog out or log out" is amazing. I'm just endlessly pleased at how effective it ends up being on reddit, which has steadfastly refused to understand that the chuds never argue in good faith.