Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The real question I want answered tonight is: Tangledeep or Wargroove (both for Switch)?? I am paralyzed indecision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tried the xbox demo of Anthem and still don’t like the game. :/ It just feels so stiff and weird to play. Also it feels like the Xbox One X hardware is struggling to keep up with the game, which is not good. Very pretty game, but going to give it a pass as that is all Anthem has going for it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/FINALLEVEL/status/1091418835910094849
Lord 187X

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It’s not at all difficult or even time consuming to get to power 650 in Destiny 2.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I wanted to mention Axiom Verge, one of my favorite games to come out in the past few years, since it will be free on the Epic game store this month starting on the 7th. I'd urge anyone who has slept on this one to give it a shot.

The similarities to Super Metroid are evident from the get go. The tile based world, 16-bit style graphics, the fact that you gain your first upgrade by going left from the beginning.... along with burrowing through tiles to find secrets and hidden passageways, the mostly lonely exploration of a strange alien world, and so on. The first 'act' is also quite reminiscent. There are a lot of dead ends that leave you wondering how you'll get past them, but within the first 90 minutes you'll do a full loop back to the beginning, decked out in all sorts of new equipment, ready to poke deeper into all the areas you had previously visited. But I can't stress enough that Axiom Verge transcends these similarities and develops an identity of its own, and should be seen as much more than walking in Metroid's shadow.

The gameplay design is really fantastic. The exploration does an amazing job of hitting the sweet spot between perfunctory and horseshit. You'll likely find yourself not knowing what to do next at certain points (you won't find any waypoint markers here), but when you finally figure it out the reaction is 'ohhhh clever' rather than 'that was stupid'. The upgrades you get generally have multiple uses, and the extend of their usefulness may not be immediately apparent... this experimentation combined with the exploration is really rewarding.

The combat difficulty is about medium for a metroidvania. It's much more strategic rather than reactive. It's overall much easier than something like Hollow Knight - that level of precision is simply not needed. Rather, when you find a new enemy you can sit back out of harm's way, look at what it's doing, an devise an approach that will work best. There are over a dozen unique weapons and they *mostly* have their uses in certain situations. You can just switch between them on the fly to find whatever is suitable for the situation. And each enemy can have its reality manipulated, which generally makes the fight easier and can have all kinds of unique effects. When revisiting earlier areas it's possible to tank damage and kill much quicker, so the backtracking maintains a brisk pace, but each new area does a good job of presenting new challenges. If I have to give the game a negative, however, it would have to be the boss fights, which are mearly mediocre. Of the 8 bosses, the first 4 are pretty simple/cheeseable, while the last 4 are damage races. There is some strategy and clever movement possible, but the bosses are not the highlight of the game.

I found the story to be excellent. It does a great job tying into the gameplay and aiding with the really fantastic worldbuilding, and has some strong and genuinely interesting theming. It does contain ideas like reality manipulation, cloning, multiple universes, alternate realities (maybe?), and nonlinearity, along with starting in medias res... which could be a little dense for some people who are not interested in unpacking all of that. However, the story can be enjoyed on a much more surface level - the main story beats are told explicitly through cutscenes while the more cryptic stuff is hidden away in hints and notes.

Speaking of notes, the soundtrack is one of my all time favorites. Fat thumping bass, alien beeps and boops, and sick nasty sampling create a really moody and fun atmosphere. The sound design overall is top notch.

One last thing I'd like to mention is the lack of skinner box mechanics anywhere. There is no leveling, no skill trees, no point allocation, no progress bars, no numbers flying out of enemies when you shoot them... this is a game that stands firmly on its own gameplay and story merits. No to say those aforementioned design elements are necessarily bad in every circumstance, but I find their absence really refreshing. This is a game that doesn't waste your time. You won't be diddling around it menus - when you're playing you're playing. And you'll be in and out in 8 hours, 10 if you get lost a lot, 12-14+ if you want to go for the 100% which is genuinely hard as gently caress imo. If any of that sounds interesting, try it all for freeee

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

The real question I want answered tonight is: Tangledeep or Wargroove (both for Switch)?? I am paralyzed indecision.

Tangledeep if you want 16 bit nostalgia roguelike action with the bestest console controls and amazing music

Or Wargroove if you want fantasy advance wars

So both obviously (I mean they scratch pretty different itches)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

like tears in rain...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

homeless snail posted:

like tears in rain...

Lol I bought that game back when it was still available.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

victrix posted:

Tangledeep if you want 16 bit nostalgia roguelike action with the bestest console controls and amazing music

Or Wargroove if you want fantasy advance wars

So both obviously (I mean they scratch pretty different itches)

I'm leaning toward Tangledeep. I've always day dreamed about a handheld roguelike. I like grid based tactics games, but I'm coming off an Into the Breech bender and it may be too soon for more grid tactics.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

homeless snail posted:

like tears in rain...

Ironic I see this just as I'm loading up Hitman 2 :smith:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Lol I bought that game back when it was still available.
it was surprisingly good and had a lot of interesting ideas for a diablo type game, from what I can remember

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I was gonna say too bad no one ever made a darkspore private server but turns out someone just started working on one in the past couple months. maybe not looking so hot though

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why isn't there an Atelier megathread

Also why does my phone know the word "megatank" :tinfoil:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

precision posted:

According to the rpg thread they always fall off the forums quickly

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I said come in! posted:

It’s not at all difficult or even time consuming to get to power 650 in Destiny 2.

It's either difficult or time-consuming but not both. You get there a lot faster by doing endgame stuff.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

precision posted:

your phone also wants more advance wars

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A Bag of Milk posted:

I wanted to mention Axiom Verge, one of my favorite games to come out in the past few years, since it will be free on the Epic game store this month starting on the 7th. I'd urge anyone who has slept on this one to give it a shot.

Axion Verge has been on my radar since before it came out but i've yet to buy it. Now I have no excuses now that it'll be free. :homebrew:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Looper posted:

your phone also wants more advance wars

So do I

Maybe they could meet the fans halfway and make Advance Wars like a top down Valkyria Chronicles with more of a detailed world and characters with more than one personality trait

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I said come in! posted:

Well you're not Ice T so

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I could beat Ice T at most video games I bet

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Some people just really like gatekeeping which is how you get people being like "oh I bet ice t isn't a real gamer" or the people that try and act like people who cosplay stuff they haven't played/watched are somehow not nerdy or the people who feel like they can only listen to music when it specifically caters to nerds and gamers and poo poo even though plenty of music is nerdy as hell without catering entirely to a particular group

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

His handle is FINALLEVEL he's probably "more of a gamer" than half this thread

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Some people just really like gatekeeping which is how you get people being like "oh I bet ice t isn't a real gamer" or the people that try and act like people who cosplay stuff they haven't played/watched are somehow not nerdy or the people who feel like they can only listen to music when it specifically caters to nerds and gamers and poo poo even though plenty of music is nerdy as hell without catering entirely to a particular group
now lets not conflate very real very powerful gamer ice t with secondaries

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/FINALLEVEL/status/1032269837937070081

https://twitter.com/FINALLEVEL/status/1032272459704217601

https://twitter.com/finallevel/status/1033000946685632514

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

wish we were talking about ice cube so I could say "the gamer word you love to hate"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

now lets not conflate very real very powerful gamer ice t with secondaries

What are secondaries

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Are they like fake defaults

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Also holy poo poo the main character in the fat cat mystery trilogy finally did some sleuthing that was helpful to the inspector. It only took her until the last book to do it and 2/3rds of the way into said book before she said anything to the inspector that was useful.

It wasn't even stuff she found out through looking into stuff, it was from some other people telling her and her relaying the info because said people were like "oh no no no I could never bother the police about something like any evidence I have regarding who committed a murder"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

What are secondaries
you described them just now, secondaries are people that are way into derived works but don't care about the original material. classical example is the touhou fan that obsesses over fan art of particular characters but will never play the games

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

you described them just now, secondaries are people that are way into derived works but don't care about the original material. classical example is the touhou fan that obsesses over fan art of particular characters but will never play the games

That's dumb as gently caress

e: dumb as gently caress that a name is needed for that at all, it's just people that are fans of a thing

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finally found an MP game I’m good at and it’s Ace Combat 7. I’m getting so many MVPs and ending with over 100k points while the next guy is stuck with like barely 50k.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

it's fine as long as they keep to themselves and never try to inject themselves into discussions of the original thing, cause they're hopelessly and embarrassingly in over their head.

it's like when two people are discussing their experience playing a game and a third comes in like "oh yeah I watched a LP of that". it's not constructive or helpful

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

homeless snail posted:

it's fine as long as they keep to themselves and never try to inject themselves into discussions of the original thing, cause they're hopelessly and embarrassingly in over their head.

it's like when two people are discussing their experience playing a game and a third comes in like "oh yeah I watched a LP of that". it's not constructive or helpful

So they should be kept outside the gate

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I like to think of the gate as locking them in, rather than keeping them out

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have never played Until Dawn, but I have watched three full playthroughs, can I talk about it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I can't play Ace Combat 7 for at least a month, so I just listen to the OST on repeat while imagining the color of the sky

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have never played Until Dawn, but I have watched three full playthroughs, can I talk about it
you can talk about whatever you want, but if you make an assertion about something you only know about second hand and someone with first hand experience contradicts you, please defer to the person that actually knows what they're talking about. this is just a good general rule of life, whether you're talking about climate change, race, or video games

there probably isn't much risk when talking about until dawn, however

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Taintrunner posted:

I finally found an MP game I’m good at and it’s Ace Combat 7. I’m getting so many MVPs and ending with over 100k points while the next guy is stuck with like barely 50k.

Rush to the f22 and become as god

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real hurthling! posted:

Rush to the f22 and become as god

I rushed to the SU-47 to finish the campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Solid choice.

I saw grippen E and had to go down that road. Missions become cakewalks in that thing