Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Das Boo posted:

sexy face Membrane

Go on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Das Boo posted:

I know I doodled sexy face Membrane on a white board and that somehow made it in

...By all means.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Das Boo posted:

I just got home from our Invader Zim cast and crew screening, but I was drunk for the whole thing. I know I doodled sexy face Membrane on a white board and that somehow made it in, but everything else is Korean BBQ.

So loving goddamn dope.

I cannot wait for this and I too will be super drunk while I watch it with my brother, whom I watched the series with.

Please post sexy Membrane if you can.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

DoctorWhat posted:

It's okay, IMO. Epilogue is all about Terry being a better Batman, not as bitter, lonely, or compromised as Bruce, because Bruce taught him to be better than he was.

I go back and forth on whether that episode is an unforgivably ridiculous retcon or a brilliant deconstruction/reconstruction of the whole superhero origin concept. I lean towards the latter, but possibly in spite of itself.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

I would loving kill for a cartoon series starring Kamala Khan, and really unless you got a really big budget - it absolutely is a better medium for tv series.

Hey buddy:
https://youtu.be/6UiNnW_2STI

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Our storyboarder posted this photo to social media ages ago, so it should be fine. I also don't want to omit the other doodles, though:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Beyond extrapolated on a lot of BTAS things, like animal transformations being so common they became a recreational drug.

I always thought it was kind of weird they made it out to be a bad thing, given it didn't negatively effect the kids.

The episode that always kind of hits me hard was the 'parents freak out and send their kids to what turned out to be a brainwashing facility due to one kid flipping out' - like any kid who didn't fit the outgoing, good kid mold post-columbine had felt the stink eye of teachers who expected the worst. I did like the nice touch of Chelesa's dad trying to apologize but she rightfully storms off past him, because good intentions or not - he had shown he didn't trust her by sending her there in the first place.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

why the gently caress did I read the comments? So many angry rear end in a top hat white dudes made about minorities and girls liking their thing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

why the gently caress did I read the comments? So many angry rear end in a top hat white dudes made about minorities and girls liking their thing.

Too bad that didn't embed, I could have saved you that pain. (Never read any comments to videos or news articles.)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

I always thought it was kind of weird they made it out to be a bad thing, given it didn't negatively effect the kids.

The episode that always kind of hits me hard was the 'parents freak out and send their kids to what turned out to be a brainwashing facility due to one kid flipping out' - like any kid who didn't fit the outgoing, good kid mold post-columbine had felt the stink eye of teachers who expected the worst. I did like the nice touch of Chelesa's dad trying to apologize but she rightfully storms off past him, because good intentions or not - he had shown he didn't trust her by sending her there in the first place.

That's a great episode. A lot more exciting that the average episode since Batman is going against a system as opposed to just another dude in a costume. And a reminder of how little power teenagers have in society.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Robindaybird posted:

It was the late 90s iirc, still with anything resembling a recreational drug being full on DARE. There was mention later on of a scandal of a celebrity using now-illegal splicers. Would be fun to have a followup storyarc of how everything involving splicers has gotten ten times worse now that they aren't regulated or supervised legally.

There was also the episode of a model student who was a Jokerz leader on the side and tried to murder his oblivious academic rival. And the kid who got psychic powers and going to juvie just meant he came back jacked and even more malevolent.

Kinda funny given Batman is usually really good by fictional character standards of actually trying to emphasise with teenagers, especially victims of abuse who are brushed off and disbelieved by adults. Even his teenage sidekicks are generally ones who already chose vigilantism to seek revenge or justice for their losses, and he tries to make sure they'll at least be good at it. Probably he'd figure that children don't get to opt out of suffering from crime and violence, so he might as well give them the tools and training to fight back.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ccs posted:

That's a great episode. A lot more exciting that the average episode since Batman is going against a system as opposed to just another dude in a costume. And a reminder of how little power teenagers have in society.

And how the system does nothing but galvanise the ACTUAL hosed up violent teenagers.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah. And the Jokerz episode where Max initially thought Terry was the leader because he was the kid who skipped classes, did poorly academically and had a history (when he visit said psychic kid, there was a joke about how he was just visiting) - kind of a quiet condemnation of assuming the kids that fall behind are gonna be the bad seeds.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Das Boo posted:

Our storyboarder posted this photo to social media ages ago, so it should be fine. I also don't want to omit the other doodles, though:

I wasn't emotionally prepared for this and just burst out laughing in public, thanks for that.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 2, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Das Boo posted:

:allears: memebrane but just hair also rules

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/elmayimbe/status/1091445330644586496

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lame.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

TAS had some great episodes but for every Heart of Ice you also had one like the little girl crime lord or the dickensian orphans living in the sewers, people forget how une ven it was even in its prime. And there's the entire back half of the show done in a completely different, worse art style that most people just pretend didn't count.

Also that one with the giant farm animals written by the howard the duck guy.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Aw man, I know I just posted about having mixed feelings about a Batman Beyond reboot, but now that it's definitely not happening I'm kind of sad.

One the brightside, talking about how good Batman Beyond is has inspired me to go back and watch a few episodes. They're good! And just as dark and disturbing as they were when I first watched them as a kid! "April Moon" has a particularly great ending, I strongly recomend it.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 2, 2019

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

One the brightside, talking about how good Batman Beyond is has inspired me to go back and watch a few episodes. They're good! And just as dark and disturbing as they were when I first watched them as a kid! "April Moon" episode has a particularly great ending, I strongly recomend it.

god April Moon was practically a 30 minute film noir

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Uncle Wemus posted:

Also that one with the giant farm animals written by the howard the duck guy.

I love that one. And also the one a lot of people hate where Batman dressed as a hobo loses his memory and has to break rocks for a fat guy eating chicken. Love the music.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The best Batman Beyond episode is the one where he has to babysit a friggin' egg, and we all know it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I just got back from How to Train Your Dragon 3.

It's a good movie but not as good as 2 which was amazing in every way.

Everything good about the other films is back here and it's still good overall, so the nitpicks are:

The new villain is good but just not as good as Drago. Drago was imposing while serving as the traditional 'dark mirror' to Hiccup, Grimmel is more of a generic 'prepared mastermind'.

The pacing seems a bit uneven and seems almost sedate for most of the movie.

The writers seemed not to know what to do with Hiccup's friends as they matured. Each of them basically got +1 character trait for the movie.

Valka and Astrid seem like they had a scene together and then got cut or something so all they're left with is Valka telling Astrid "you gotta give Hiccup some support and confidence" every twenty minutes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Robindaybird posted:

god April Moon was practically a 30 minute film noir

A lot of BTAS episodes were noir as all hell.

The 'detective' aspect of Batman can actually go well when you go full noir with it, even the theme where the detective always finds himself humbled in some way by the end of it. Terry can't beat the cyborgs on equal ground and all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also random note: I watched the Astro Boy movie on Netflix for the hell of it, it has its moments with Nicholas Cage but feels like a mostly unrelated movie they inserted Astro Boy into for brand recognition, and yet not entirely untrue to its themes. Doesn't help that I've been reading the Astro Boy manga, and it kinda gets jarring going between Silver Age comics-esque sci-fi plots and very serious social themes. The disclaimer about insensitive designs for black people suddenly makes sense with a Japanese-American character explaining to Astro how he observed American racism towards himself fading but still prominent with how they treated black people, and then shifting onto robots once they came around. The guy was writing in the goddamn fifties and has a better perspective on racism than a lot of self-proclaimed progressives today)

Definitely a waste of potential. Especially with the X-Men movies doing so well, there's a lot of hay to be made about the various morality plays that Astro Boy has going on. Dr Tenma can be a really interesting character done right; not exactly a Magneto or even a repentant villain, but a man who made a mistake that saved the world so many times over.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
You guys, The Boss Baby is really good. The visuals are somehow more zippy and creative than 80% of animated films released in the past decade, the narrative is a really sweet variation on the Pixar patented "two characters don't like each other but have to go on an adventure but oh now they like each other" thing, the naked babies are -

well, they're naked babies, and they're the worst thing about the movie

But yeah! The screenwriters took the conceit of a child's overactive imagination and used it to tell a faintly ridiculous yet somehow heartwarming story about a boy learning to come to terms with his baby brother. Plus Alec Baldwin really knocks it out of the park - he's downright hilarious in his first scene, and not too shabby afterwards either.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

My 3 year old liked watching it for a couple months and I would have to disagree on all of that.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

saladscooper posted:

You guys, The Boss Baby is really good. The visuals are somehow more zippy and creative than 80% of animated films released in the past decade, the narrative is a really sweet variation on the Pixar patented "two characters don't like each other but have to go on an adventure but oh now they like each other" thing, the naked babies are -

well, they're naked babies, and they're the worst thing about the movie

But yeah! The screenwriters took the conceit of a child's overactive imagination and used it to tell a faintly ridiculous yet somehow heartwarming story about a boy learning to come to terms with his baby brother. Plus Alec Baldwin really knocks it out of the park - he's downright hilarious in his first scene, and not too shabby afterwards either.

Having children I avoided this as long as I could because I thought it would be a trainwreck but it was surprisingly good. The writing is solid and the animation was well done.

The Netflix show... not so much. Convince your kids to watch something else, or just the movie again.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Robindaybird posted:

Not to mention that tech could easily have been re-purposed to quickly cure every genetic disorder known to medical science. If you can quickly and safely turn a patient into something straight out of Deviantart, patching up the genes responsible for something like cystic fibrosis should be a walk in the park.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Cockmaster posted:

Not to mention that tech could easily have been re-purposed to quickly cure every genetic disorder known to medical science. If you can quickly and safely turn a patient into something straight out of Deviantart, patching up the genes responsible for something like cystic fibrosis should be a walk in the park.

They don’t want to cure cystic fibrosis, they want to turn people into dinosaurs.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Shadow Hog posted:

The best Batman Beyond episode is the one where he has to babysit a friggin' egg, and we all know it.

It kind of defeats the purpose of having a Very Special Episode about teens having to care for an infant for sex ed class when the message is "placing your baby in mortal peril is actually good because babies need stimulation".

Cockmaster posted:

Pretty much every other new villain on that show was an incredibly poorly thought out attempt at extrapolating Teen Problems into a sci-fi supervillain, compared to loud rock music being turned into a sound-based supervillain and a nerdy shut-in being a psychic robot master body modification creating a subclass of monster people is downright restrained.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I was telling everybody that boss baby was pretty good, no one believe me!

I mean it's not totally fantastic plot wise, but it is relatively funny, and the visuals are incredible

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Phylodox posted:

They don’t want to cure cystic fibrosis, they want to turn people into dinosaurs.

In case the reference is lost:

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Pick posted:

I was telling everybody that boss baby was pretty good, no one believe me!

I mean it's not totally fantastic plot wise, but it is relatively funny, and the visuals are incredible

As I was watching the boss baby I thought "huh, this is a surprisingly good score for an animated film, the slow sad stuff is actually going some interesting places." Then I looked the score up, and it was by Hans Zimmer, and my world was shaken

Seriously, how do you go from the swashbuckling mediocrity of the score to pirates of the caribbean to something with this much life?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also random note: I watched the Astro Boy movie on Netflix for the hell of it, it has its moments with Nicholas Cage but feels like a mostly unrelated movie they inserted Astro Boy into for brand recognition, and yet not entirely untrue to its themes. Doesn't help that I've been reading the Astro Boy manga, and it kinda gets jarring going between Silver Age comics-esque sci-fi plots and very serious social themes. The disclaimer about insensitive designs for black people suddenly makes sense with a Japanese-American character explaining to Astro how he observed American racism towards himself fading but still prominent with how they treated black people, and then shifting onto robots once they came around. The guy was writing in the goddamn fifties and has a better perspective on racism than a lot of self-proclaimed progressives today)

Definitely a waste of potential. Especially with the X-Men movies doing so well, there's a lot of hay to be made about the various morality plays that Astro Boy has going on. Dr Tenma can be a really interesting character done right; not exactly a Magneto or even a repentant villain, but a man who made a mistake that saved the world so many times over.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to pick up Pluto again at some point.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cockmaster posted:

They probably already did that and then the science wizards still needed a paycheck so they decided to do commissions for furries.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Regalingualius posted:

I went to a Naoki Urasawa exhibit with friends last night and we all yelled at a map informing us that Luxembourg has translated more of his properties that the States.

Read Urasawa, y'all!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Regalingualius posted:

After you've read Pluto, check out the 80's version of the story!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI8llYYWtzs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP415l1YMEQ

The English dub super sucks but put up with it anyways.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

All you need to do to make Astro Boy relevant is make him wear a shirt and forget the fact he has a machine-gun in his arse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Inspector Gesicht posted:

All you need to do to make Astro Boy relevant is make him wear a shirt and forget the fact he has a machine-gun in his arse.

I can clearly see it now...