Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
also, some Colombian speed metal that's really loving cool.

https://ripper.bandcamp.com/album/speed-and-violence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Another track from the SAOR album's out. Has Neige on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxXoSV9A0-4

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

New Soen! They're like if Opeth, Riverside and Tool had a baby with a bit of Pink Floyd thrown in:

not to be rude but that sounds like absolute dogshit

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A human heart posted:

You’re my favorite poster itt because 99% of what you post is great and 99% of what you whine about is great.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

You’re my favorite poster itt because 99% of what you post is great and 99% of what you whine about is great.

Yeah in my experience that’s the type of metal fan who gives the best recs. They’re frustrating to talk to but they always know what the best demos are.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Fuckin' Finland.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anything good going on down there in Greece?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Alive in Athens is still one of the best live albums ever.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

xzzy posted:

Dead Congregation

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

xzzy posted:

uhh like their entire black metal scene back in the day?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A human heart posted:

Did you listen to them?

I mean if those bands aren't your thing no big deal, but they're basically a groovier less heavy Opeth

e: actually I don't even listen to Tool they just have similar bass style to the few Tool songs I've heard

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 2, 2019

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

xzzy posted:

Rotting Christ never disappoint. They are actually probably in my top 10 bands I would say. They have a new album coming out soon. Here is a single https://youtu.be/I4LDxWlveKE

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 2, 2019

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Snow Cone Capone posted:

e: actually I don't even listen to Tool they just have similar bass style to the few Tool songs I've heard
Their first couple albums were very noticeably influenced by Tool, but they've moved a little away from there.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Incoherence posted:

Their first couple albums were very noticeably influenced by Tool, but they've moved a little away from there.

The couple singles off the new album seem to have way more of a Riverside vibe to them, IMO

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Alive in Athens is still one of the best live albums ever.

Truth

Even if its iced earth.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Nobody Interesting posted:

Another track from the SAOR album's out. Has Neige on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxXoSV9A0-4

Well this is pretty loving beautiful.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Less Claypool posted:

Rotting Christ never disappoint. They are actually probably in my top 10 bands I would say. They have a new album coming out soon. Here is a single https://youtu.be/I4LDxWlveKE

The rest of the album lives up to the single, good stuff.

Speaking of which, I just got a side gig as the promo wrangler for a local metal/rock website. Holy hell do the labels like to push every goddamn new lovely softcore band as "THE BIG NEW THING CIRCULATE THIS MARKETING BLURB HEAVILY THROUGH ALL CHANNELS!". At least I just have to handle the promo album downloads, not the marketing wank.

E: And it's so painfully obvious how many sites just copy/paste the marketing blurbs straight from the labels for their "news".

Re: other bands from Greece, don't forget Septicflesh.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 2, 2019

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I saw Septicflesh supporting Amon Amarth in 2011. They were loving atrocious.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Incoherence posted:

You can tell that Martin Lopez is very visibly influenced by Danny Carey, and the bass tone on all of their albums has a serious Justin Chancellor vibe. When Lopez says that he views the Tool sound as more of a genre than a tribute to a specific band nowadays, he's not entirely wrong: Soen fits right in alongside Karnivool, Dead Letter Circus, Rishloo, Moving Atlas, and a pile of other bands doing really similar stuff.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

xzzy posted:

Recorded at the end of the '90's; released in 2017

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

God drat :stare:

e: VVV Uh, this is amazing. I was not at all prepared for 4:15, holy poo poo. How have I not heard of this band before?

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 2, 2019

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Fenrir posted:

The Bandcamp page has a different song up for streaming and it's even better.

https://saor.bandcamp.com/

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Fenrir posted:

They are excellent. As Nordick linked, check their other albums there's some amazing stuff there. This is actually shaping up to be their least satisfying album in terms of quantity but it's definitely hitting the mark on quality.

The first album, Roots, is a bit wanky. 6 minute brooding bass introduction before anything happens and I believe the drums are synthesised but it's otherwise enjoyable. Both Aura and Guardians fail to disappoint me at all.

There's a music video for Bròn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9bMRTvmvQQ and some decent live footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0qeVhYZ2PQ

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I immediately started digging. The full Aura and Guardian albums are on youtube, so I played those back to back before coming around to the two new songs again. Not sure how I managed to miss these guys for 4+ years but they're certainly on my radar now. I love this loving thread, you guys are awesome.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I really liked Aura when I found it a few years ago, but somehow never ended up listening to it a whole lot. Been spinning Guardians quite a bit lately and been loving it, and now these two songs are also bloody great. Some loving beautiful riffing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

:yeah: Saor is incredible. I can’t wait for the new album now.

e: wait lol I was thinking of another band. Not sure who. Saor IS great though.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 3, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

Soen probebly :v:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

Obsequiae?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Fenrir posted:

Yeah, I immediately started digging. The full Aura and Guardian albums are on youtube, so I played those back to back before coming around to the two new songs again. Not sure how I managed to miss these guys for 4+ years but they're certainly on my radar now. I love this loving thread, you guys are awesome.

I imagine Roots is probably on youtube, too. Not looked. It's not as great but still worth a listen.

Catch them live if you can. They're doing their first US show at this thing. I'm headed up to Glasgow for them next month. Fairly interesting how varied the crowd is, they seem like they're able to impress people who don't even particularly like metal.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Aura rules hard because it has Austin Lunn on drums. It also gets me very misty eyed and nostalgic for Scotland even though I have never even been to Europe. I did go to a college with bagpipers though.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I imagine Roots is probably on youtube, too. Not looked. It's not as great but still worth a listen.

Catch them live if you can. They're doing their first US show at this thing. I'm headed up to Glasgow for them next month. Fairly interesting how varied the crowd is, they seem like they're able to impress people who don't even particularly like metal.
Slim Cessna's Auto Club is an interesting presence on that bill. Alt-country owns and should have more crossover into metal communities

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nah, I like em a ton though. I need to spend some more time with the new album.

Maybe? I’m not sure. I was picturing a logo, cover, the sound and everything of some band close to Saor. :shrug: doesn’t Obsequiae have a new album coming sometime? I love that band.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
https://www.facebook.com/LichKingMetal/videos/574891106344237

lich king guys had a bet on the superbowl, and it ended up with one of them eating a tray of oreo nachos with hotdogs and tequila.

didn't get to see a guy die, but i did see a man's soul die.

lich king has the best social media presence.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I like that new Soen album on the first listen but the couple of sentences that got through in my conscience while working reminds me of those aphorism tiles old people have in their kitchens

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wish Lich King was bigger - they put out such amazing albums. Swap em in for Warbringer.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
their do-over EP was really good. that cover of van halen's hot for teacher had me cracking up.

plus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hObSVeAzOqI

Crossover songs are too drat short

Your songs are good
Your riffs are strong
But they're only
Two minutes long

Your album's great
But here's the facts
It's half an hour
With nineteen tracks

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Lich King are fun and all but them > Warbringer is a pretty warm take

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Every album other than Waking into Nightmares was kinda bad so it's a tepid take.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
lich king also did a thrash diss track that contained:

Hey, Gama Bomb
You didn't write this riff
so hey, Warbringer
Eat our Lich King dicks
Hey, Havok
We just put you to shame
and hey, everyone,
if you're not us you're lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Their chiptunes album was loving solid as hell too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LcOqYSv2dQ